Start by marking “Space Rogues” as Want to Read:
Space Rogues

Space Rogues

(Space Rogues #1)

Fans of Farscape and Killjoys will love the crew of the Ghost.

Wil Calder was an astronaut testing Earth’s first Faster Than Light engine in an experimental space pod when he ended up stranded on the opposite side of the solar system. Even if NASA could come to get him, they didn’t know where to look.

But that was years ago.

Now, Wil is a lonely intergalactic outlaw and s

Published October 2017 by Amazon Digital Services (first published August 26th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Space Rogues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Rogues

Ron Jarrell
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A derivative blast

Ok, the author steals like a madman from the best. The main character is John Crichton from Farscape, with the personality of Mal from Firefly, flying a Klingon Bird of Prey through the Peacekeeper universe, throwing pop culture references out like a demented machine gun (and not just sci-fi - he misremembered the bots numeric name as 8675309...). Star Wars, Star Trek (or Babylon 5, not sure what show about people in a space station was being referenced), nothing is sacred. One
Amazonaute
Dnf 27%.

The characters weren’t grabbing me, and the world building was pretty shoddy...

..and the go to a place to do the thing, in an alien controlled universe, with no human presence....

...called the barsoom system.

At this point I gave up.
Irene O'Brien
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another galaxy,new friends and enemies

Will Calder finds himself stranded outside of the solar system after an FTL flight. Initially taken in by another crew, he finds himself alone in the ship after a double-cross. After a while he "rescues"two peacekeepers from a ship and is joined by another alien and a workbot.
Life just gets more interesting as the crew attempt to do the right thing.
An excellent book for anyone who loves space and adventures
William
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi

This was an outstanding first novel in what appears to be the start of an enjoyable series. It had the potential to be a five star rated book if there had! Review been a higher level of intensity and drama. I believe the next books have that potential remember, this author is just getting started.

I never try and give a "HS Book Report" Summary in my reviews. If that's what a prospecting reader is looking for I recommend they read the authors summary, Instead, I prefer to share what I liked (or n
Tom Johnson
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Space Opera At Its Best”

Astronaut Wil Calder’s module is experiencing problems that could leave him stranded in space. However, a pirate ship appears from another galaxy and captures him and the space module. Instead of leaving him to die, the captain of the space pirates takes a liking to the human and keeps him on board to clean his ship. The pirate crew is betrayed by a group of criminals and the captain turns his ship, an ANKARRAN battle ship over to him as he is dying. Alone now, Wil calls
Tina Gundy
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Epic Adventures of Wil Calder, Space Smuggler (Space Rogues, Book 1) by John Wilker and narrated by KC Johnston was a fun, easy listen! Would recommend if you are into space operas.
What’s it about? The summary explains it well so details here will be minimal. Some other things to expect: peacekeepers, officers, different planets, goons, smuggling jobs, night markets, aliens, and a robot. It’s fast-paced, lots of action, and humorous at times.

The narrator, KC Johnston, did a fantastic job a
Rita
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fun and thrilling read!

This story attracted me from the start. A human surrounded by lots of aliens, yeah, thats my favourite type of book.
The characters in this story are fun to read about and really come across as alive as possible. Wil Calder is a funny character, who uses references only another human would understand. He's just all round fun to read and get to know.
Bennie is almost dispicable and yet, I really loved his little personality quirks the most out of the whole crew of Gh
Marga
A very Startrekkie kind of story, which is really not my genre. Weird looking creatures, with non familiar names always make it harder for me to connect with the main characters. I was glad that the main character was a human.
If this *were* my genre, it'd probably ended up getting 4 stars, despite the fact that especially in the first part of the book there were still some errors that could be caught easily by an editor: typo's, a sentence that contains a repetition, stuff like that - no major
Chris Bryant
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A decent little read. Solid framework for a story. Decent characters that are likable. But story lacks a lot of development.

The lone human outside of earth has his own space ship and is building a crew. This books is set up to appeal to your browncoat urges. It it kinda fits that mold. But, it skips all the steps to get there. The bringing together happens in front of us, but the struggles that should go along with that process are overlooked. Somehow they go instantly to fully formed working gr
Norman
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wil Calder a NASA Astronault is stranded in space and is captured by spacecraft passing through the indicted area of Earth. After talking to the Captain of the vessal he starts working as part of teh crew. During a landing on another planet to delivery merchandise all of the crew is killed and Wil is left in control of the ship. Through various self training methods he learns how to manage the ship. After some time being alone he rescues 2 former Peacemakers and the adventures begin. Good readin ...more
Chiyaa Pasal
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read. Not an overly complicated story but enjoyable. A cross between Buck Rogers, Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly and just about every other “classic” sci-fi show / movie.

There are a number of pop culture references throughout which adds to the lone human / Buck Rogers feel.

Thankfully, it is a complete story and not one that ends in the middle of something to try to get you to buy the next book. This is book one in a series but is definitely a stand alone read as well.
Marcus
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review

This book, for some odd reason, reminded me of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. It is a quick fun read that has a bunch of ragtag individuals coming together as friends and a team to accomplish something good and meaningful. The characters were well written, with a dry sense of humor,plot consistent, action constant, and a sense of humor present in the whole story.
thomas roberson
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Space Rogues: The Epic Adventures of Wil Calder, Space Smuggler

I enjoyed the story, I felt it was well written and interesting. I'll have to say this was a new approach to most sci-fi series. I can't say that this matched any of sci novels that I'm familiar with. Usually they have a story line similar to situations in other books.
Susan
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Space Rogues is the first book in the series. There is violence. I wasn't expecting such an enjoyable space opera when I started this book. In fact, the first couple of chapters left me feeling "meh". But then the story took off. Now I want to read the next book to see what other adventures Wil gets into.
Mick Bird
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable start

I have fully enjoyed reading this first book of what I hope will be a interesting series. We find a human astronaut who whilst attempting earths first ftl flight, find himself in command of a alien spaceship. If that wasn't bad enough in the middle of a space battle between different groups of people. Looking forward to reading more.
Bill
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
entertaining space opera. Like FarScape, Earthman is lost , due to malfunctioning FTL test, and meets aliens and does good.
I enjoyed this so much, I immediately ordered the Christmas special, Merry Garthflak, Wil
Vir
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not expect to, but I absolutely loved this book!
The characters are well developed and the story line sucks you right in. It was a funny, entertaining and nerve wracking read.
I am definitely looking forward to the next book.
Debra H. Wruble
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing adventures

Great story about a human and his crew of various beings aboard a space ship and all the adventures they have. Lots of action. Looking forward to reading more about them.
S
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swashbuckling adventure

This is a rollickin’ good adventure. The interaction between a kidnapped human, a crew that is lost and another found is pretty entertaining. The interaction between the powerful bad guys and the sort of bad Ghost crew is an interesting read.
John W McKinney
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting - A Good read

I like the characters and the action. The bumbling weather in a big galaxy. The only thing I thought was off was the author's tendency to temporary of the story and then retell it from another characters perspective...but I will read the next book.
Nate
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
The captain talks like a college kid and has no depth. Same for the rest of the protagonists who are just amazing crewmembers that happen to fall into his lap. Oh so does the ship.

Editing errors abound.

With a vast universe of Sci-Fi writing, this doesn't make it to orbit.
Danny L Walling
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

I didn't think this book would be any good, but I was greatly surprised. The story had great characters that you could relate to, also the author didn't bog you down with technical stuff. Great ending, with no cliffhanger. Well worth your time.
Phil Care
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute pure escapism a book you can read and relax with anywhere. Good Main characters, a touch of humour, no techno babble, an honest to goodness bad guy, an origins story and a good old fashioned evil plot. What more can you say but being on the next one
neal mirin
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truth is always better.

I Thoroughly enjoyed the story. Was slow in beginning but gave you time to understand the storyline it was real, in the line where it said they where family
Became a real-life to them.
Marianne
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only human in space.

Will has been shot into space, but somehow he's now not able to get back to earth. He's rescued by a group that is not like humans or humanoids he's ever seen and life becomes very interesting.

Read and enjoy.
Sean Patrick
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very fun and fast-paced read, humorous, and yet serious in places. I'm looking forward to reading Book Two. Well developed characters and story-lines. The interspersing of the back story could have been set off a bit better, the reason for only four stars.
William Howe
Jan 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ouch

Everything was written in present tense. Everything. It hurt my brain to read it. I don’t know how people can read this.

That ignores the clumsy plot and universe building that is worse than amateurish.

There are bad novels that are easier to read than this one.
James Konow
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
“Fans of Farscape”? It’s a lot like Farscape, but less original. Also, he could have used more detail.
IMHO
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
"Space Rogues" is great space opera! The story of how a
NASA astronaut makes first contact and stops an invasion.

FIVE STARS * * * * * A MUST READ SELECTION
Steve
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fun to read

Most fun I've had reading in a long time. The pace of the story is riveting, is Buck Rogers still alive? Can't wait for the sequel😁!

• Jurassic Dead
  • Thief of the Night Guild (Queen of Thieves #2)
  • The Shifter Dimension (Starbirth, #2)
  • Rose Point (Her Instruments, #2)
  • Seeing Red (Ambassador, #1)
  • Transcendental (Transcendental Trilogy, #1)
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • Blind Sided (The Irish End Games #4)
  • Derai (Dumarest of Terra, #2)
  • Archangel Down (Archangel Project, #1)
  • The Four Thousand, the Eight Hundred
  • Survival (Remnants, #13)
  • Deadly Slipper
  • Accessing the Future: A Disability-Themed Anthology of Speculative Fiction
  • Alien: The Cold Forge
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Third Annual Collection
  • Lurulu
  • Black Bolt, Vol. 1: Hard Time
John loves hearing from readers, drop him a line at john.wilker@gmail.com, and while you're at it, sign up for his newsletter http://johnwilker.com/newsletter/ to get free short stories and sneak peaks of his works in progress.

John lives in Denver with his amazing wife, and two nutty little dogs, where he enjoys patio beers, gardening and hiking.

He's been writing since he could, but made the leap

Space Rogues (3 books)
  • Big Ship, Lots of Guns (Space Rogues #2)
  • The Behemoth Job (Space Rogues #3)