Start by marking “All These Beautiful Strangers” as Want to Read:
All These Beautiful Strangers

All These Beautiful Strangers

In the last day of summer, Grace Fairchild, the beautiful young wife of real estate mogul Allister Calloway, vanished from the family’s lake house without a trace, leaving behind her seven-year old daughter, Charlie, and a slew of unanswered questions.

Years later, seventeen-year-old Charlie still struggles with the dark legacy of her family name and the mystery surrounding
Published July 10th 2018 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about All These Beautiful Strangers, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Michelle
Let me begin this review with LOOK AT THAT COVER! Doesn't it just scream summer? So gorgeous! I actually did spend the day at the beach with my toes in the sand, sun on my shoulders, and this book in my hand. What a glorious day!

Now to the story! Elizabeth Klehfoth has written a clever YA mystery novel. Is it all completely believable? No, it isn't. Is it a fun page turner? Absolutely!

Charlie Calloway is the wealthy daughter of Allistair Calloway who is a highly regarded real estate mogul in N
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

A beautiful story about families, love, betrayal, the difference between the rich and poor, and a girl that tries to discover what happened to her missing mother, while discovering herself.

Charlie Calloway has a life most people would kill for – a tight-knit family, a loyal set of friends, and top grades a privileged boarding school. But Charlie’s never been interested in what most people want. Like all Calloways, she’s been taught that she’s
Carrie
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
All These Beautiful Strangers by Elizabeth Klehfoth is a young adult mystery that is told from multiple points of view and several timelines. Reading this one I had the thought that the author successfully made a book stew, she managed to combine a couple of mysteries and some drama into an interesting story.

First we have seventeen year old Charlie Calloway who is a junior at the prestigious Knollwood and looking forward to joining Knollwood’s secret elite society, the As. Charlie is ready to pu
Ishmeen
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
"No one can really understand the whole of a person. In many ways, the people I was closest to, the people who meant the most to me-were strangers. Beautiful strangers."

4.5 beautiful stars!! It’s honestly the best feeling ever when a book you were hesitant to start ends up in your favourites list and leaves you absolutely stunned. First of all, I would like to thank Penguin NZ for sending me a physical ARC of this book. And let me also tell you first up that I was not expecting to love th
ellias
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
WELL THAT WAS UTTERLY AND IRREVOCABLY DISAPPOINTING.

Let me just start off that if you like Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, and the dramatic flair for the points of being hella extra.....

.....then look no further folks because we got here the same run-of-the-mill mediocre and somewhat boring (mystery/drama) tale of a pretentious high school student uncovering the buried secrets of the past, all the while getting caught up in a tangle wood of lies and deceit in the present.

Doesn't that sound lik
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Dear All These Beautiful Strangers . . . .

Not even kidding. This was exactly what I was hoping for when my friend Michelle’s Review popped up on my feed. I mean let’s face it, while I would looooooooooooove to be able to say I spend summer break like this . . . . .

If I were every to vacay in the Hamptons I assume it would be more like this . . . .

(Sidenote: I totally read a book that gave me a serious Grey Gardens vibe. Maybe one
Darinda
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ten years ago, when Charlie was seven years old, her mother disappeared. Charlie is now seventeen, and away at boarding school. When she is tapped to join the A’s, the school’s secret society, she’s excited, but a little concerned about the initiation process. As she plays the game the A’s ask of her, she learns they may not be as great as she originally thought. In addition to school life, Charlie starts to think there is more to the story of her mother’s disappearance, and looks into the past ...more
Selena
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of All These Beautiful Strangers by Elizabeth Klehfoth from Goodreads for my honest review.

Wonderful read, keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next. Charlie Calloway has it all, a wonderful family, fantastic friends, money. Charlie finds out about a secret society at her school and is determined to get in it. Little does she know that the secrets are deeper than she can imagine. Charlie always wanted to know about her mother's disappearance and n
Reading.Between.Wines
⭐⭐⭐⭐💫 / 5

All These Beautiful Strangers by Elizabeth Klehfoth will hook you from the very start and eat up ALL of your free time.

What it's about: Charlie is 7 when her mother disappears from the family lake house never to be seen again. Now at age 17 Charlie is going to a prestigious boarding school called Knollwood Prep where there is an elite group of students called the "A's". The A's have chosen her to be an initiate to their secret club, but to be a part of it she must play a very serious g
Maddie
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, stand-alones
This felt like a very interesting YA/adult novel hybrid, with it's focus on both Charlie Calloway (in 2017) and her parents (in the 1990s). With Charlie's mother's disappearance, and the mysterious death of a boy on campus, there are more than a few secrets hidden by the Calloways, and as the book slowly unfolds, you get all the answers. The three POVs and different time periods means there's often dramatic irony in the relaying of information, so mostly I was waiting for Charlie to catch up on ...more
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
My thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Random House Children’s UK for a review copy of this book.

This young adult mystery is the story of Charlotte ‘Charlie’ Calloway, the daughter of a real estate mogul who attends a posh prep school, Knollwood Preparatory. She has just received an invitation to be inducted into the very secret club, the ‘A’s’ at the school for which she (and other initiates) will be given three difficult challenges which will get them to push many boundaries. But Charlie’s life is
Blair
Charlie Calloway is a 17-year old with everything. She’s heir to a family fortune and attends an elite private school, Knollwood Augustus Prep. What’s more, she’s just been invited to join Knollwood’s most exclusive club, a secretive group known as the A’s. (Yes, that's how it’s punctuated in the book and yes, that bloody apostrophe took a few minutes off my life every time I had to look at it.) But Charlie is haunted by the disappearance, and possibly death, of her mother Grace ten years earlie ...more
Anja
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*4 MYSTERIOUS STARS*

"Every great tragedy started with love.”

Don't you just love it when a lesser known book surprises you in the best way?
If you're into young adult murder/suspense mysteries similar to One Of Us Is Lying, with a little bit of Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars thrown into the mix, you'll love this one!

I honestly didn't expect to enjoy this novel as much as I ended up doing! I wouldn't say the ending came as a complete surprise, and some things just weren't believable at all (
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
4.25/5 stars

I am quite surprised that this books isn't talked about more, on Goodreads specifically. It is the epitome of a perfect summer read - I ate it up in one day (and this book isn't small - 448 pages).

Also, I had no expectations whatsoever when I started reading it, so I think that contributed to me being very pleasantly surprised by this debut.

The beginning of the book has very strong Pretty Little Liars vibes, but much, much better executed. However, as the book progressed I started
NZLisaM
This had everything I love in a YA mystery.

The summer Charlie Calloway was seven years-old her mother, Grace, vanished without a trace from their lake house. Due to her luggage being missing, and a large cash withdrawal by her the day before she disappeared, it is believed Grace left of her own accord. Consequently, Charlie has grown up hating her mother for abandoning not only her, but her father and younger sister as well. Ten years on, she’s enjoying a privileged life at an elite boarding sch
Emily
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed All These Beautiful Strangers! I was immediately hooked by the prologue, and looked forward to finding out what the mystery was.

Part of this book is set at a boarding school, and part of it is set at a family lakehouse. I loved both settings. They were tense, intriguing, and it was very easy to get lost in the story. There's also a secret society, which is such a fun aspect of the story. All These Beautiful Strangers has a lot of mysterious flashbacks, and I liked figuring out
Gare Billings
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ALL THESE BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS is a paragon of the perfect summer read. Klehfoth has a voice that dazzles, intrigues, and intimidates. Her writing is razor-sharp and sensational. The plot to this novel is spectacular and inviting. Combine that with dangerously well-written characters, a gorgeous setting, and a novel that teeters on the brink of different genres and you have one hell of a winner in my eyes.

This novel is like Cruel Intentions meets Pretty Little Liars meets Gillian Flynn. I absolut
Amy
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
3.5/5

I have a rocky relationship with YA mystery/thrillers, I actually quit reading them over a year ago because I found the ones I picked up to be predictable and not suitable for an avid reader of thrillers like myself. But as soon as I saw the cover of this I did a double take, it’s stunning! Then I read the description and got a Gossip Girl meets The Skulls vibe so I said, to hell with my self imposed YA thriller ban and added it to my TBR. I’m SO glad that I did, while this most assuredly i
Izzy
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was phenomenal and I still cannot believe it is Klehfoth's debut!!

All These Beautiful Strangers follows Charlie Calloway, a 17-year-old privileged, rich teen. Her father, Alistair Calloway, comes from a very wealthy upper-class family who bring all the classic rich stereotypes to life. They are stuck up and full of secrets.
Her mother disappeared ten years before the book starts, leaving a lot of unanswered questions and brewing up scandalous rumours.
In a short summary, we follow Charl
Lisa-Books Smiles
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

*Rated 3.5/5 stars

Don’t let the rainbow cover deceive you; this book is far from the happy-go-lucky story you might expect. Following Charlie Calloway in her Junior year at high school, things gradually begin to turn serious as she’s offered the chance to join secret – though dangerous – exclusive society, dubbing her as one of the elite. When things turn darker and a family secret is unexpectedly involved, the mystery needs to unravel for Charlie to
Amitaf0208
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Sarah Swann
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! Wow, this was a good one! The characters are so complex and some are straight up cruel. I could never decide if I liked the main character or not, she kept me on my toes. So much mystery and the secret society was crazy. Loved it!
Holly
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars ✨

Thank you to Goodreads for a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book. Charlotte is at a boarding school trying to get accepted into the elite group at her campus. At the same time her Uncle reappears to dig up her mother’s disappearance. Charlotte, at first, wants nothing to do with it because her mother left her and her sister. Right? But soon she can’t help it and starts to investigate. Loved the story and the mystery surrounding her mother. Told through Charlotte’
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
↠ 4 stars

Buddy read with Imi

I’ve said this before when reviewing similar books, but I’ll rehash it again: I love posh boarding school stories. I love thrillers and mysteries set in boarding schools. I love books about people with a lot of money who aren’t necessarily the best people.

All These Beautiful Strangers features a lot of these tropes, so it’s not entirely surprising that I loved it. It’s a surprisingly solid book, just over 500 pages, but it is paced well and is compulsively readable.
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
So this boook is deemed Gossip Girl Meets Pretty Little Liars. Eh let’s break this down. This is a mixture of a lot of idea’s that are already done; A pretty dramatic elite people school, a secret club and oh a mystery.

Charlie was a very weird MC. She was mostly like a robot with weird emotions tbh. I didn’t get her. And after being so weird she than goes and forgives a boy who did her pretty wrong like how?! I hate girls like that! 🙄

The story is set around a privileged high school where Charlie
MaryBeth's Bookshelf
I listened to the audio version of this book and really enjoyed. Charlie Calloway is a Junior at a prestigious prep school. Years ago, her mother Grace Calloway disappeared. As Charlie navigates her school year struggles, her quest to become a member of the exclusive "A's" group, and unravel the mystery around her mother's disappearance, she unearths secrets that threaten to destroy everything she believed to be true.

I loved the narrators of this book and I loved how it was told from differing p
Chelsea
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
DNF @ 12%. Nothing particularly bad about this, but it feels like a book trying to imitate successful thrillers and only half succeeding. It feels distinctively less sophisticated than the adult thrillers I've read recently, but since this is a debut, I think the writing has good qualities that could be built upon in future books. I definitely see the Gossip Girl comparison. I hate that show, but if you like it you may have better luck with this book. Recommended if you enjoy YA thrillers.
Rachel
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

This 4 Star thriller kept me reading nonstop! I wavered a little on the rating. I thought I was ready to rate it 3.5 but just had to up it to a four.

SUMMARY
Charlie is the overprivileged daughter of one of the biggest real estate developers in NYC. From the outside it looks like she has everything; beauty, brains, a family with an elite social status and more money than anyone could ever need, BUT looks can be deceiving. Charlie has had a huge hole in her heart since her mother disappeare
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I love it when a debut novel, especially one in the YA thriller category (which is starting to boom these days), really sucks me in. Admittedly, this did run a little slow at the beginning, but then around 100 pages or so in, I didn't want to put this one down.

Like most YA thrillers I've read, this is just fun and entertaining. As discussed with my fellow Bookstagrammer, Amy, it definitely has Gossip Girl/Skulls vibe and these are guilty pleasures for me, so how could I NOT like this?!

I'm alway
Elizabeth Klehfoth grew up in Elkhart, Indiana. She received her BFA in creative writing from Chapman University and her MFA in creative writing from Indiana University, where she taught fiction writing and composition. She currently lives in Los Angeles. All These Beautiful Strangers is her first novel.
“You're not really doing this, are you?...That thing some girls do, where the guy is horrible and then makes some gesture, and the girl forgets how horrible the guy is, just in time for the guy to do something else horrible.” 4 likes
“With everything that had happened with my mother, I realized how important the stories that we tell about one another are. The stories we tell can change the way we see one another, can even change the way we see the world. I wanted to tell those stories; I needed to tell them.” 4 likes