Start by marking “Secrets Hidden in the Glass (Carter Island, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secrets Hidden in the Glass (Carter Island, #1)

Secrets Hidden in the Glass

(Carter Island #1)

The secrets of the past are always closer than we think…

Stained glass artist Callie Davis is in desperate need of a vacation. Burnt out and on the edge of a nervous breakdown, she’s fleeing the pressures of her career and is taking refuge on Massachusetts’ tiny Carter Island. Callie yearns for long, lazy days and pretty walks on the beach—blessed solitude and an escape fro
Published October 12th 2017 by Cate Beauman

To ask other readers questions about Secrets Hidden in the Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets Hidden in the Glass

Start your review of Secrets Hidden in the Glass (Carter Island, #1)
Jonetta
Renowned stained glass artist Callie Davis is suffering from exhaustion and is experiencing a creative drought. Faced with a coming deadline for a new exhibit, she leaves New York and finds respite in the small town of Sanderson, Massachusetts on Carter Island. She’s immediately charmed and positively effected by the town, making plans to have an extended stay. One of the first persons she meets is her rental landlord, Nate Carter who is also the sheriff. Both are immediately taken with each oth ...more
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
When the pressure of her career pushed her close to a nervous breakdown, Callie Davis decides to take a break. She decides to go to a small town off the coast and rent a cottage where she can relax and rejuvenate. Her plans include taking it easy, long walks on the beach and avoid all complications of her normal life at any cost. She hadn’t counted on meeting her landlord and the local Sheriff Nathan Carter, nor had she expected a sizzling chemistry with the man. To top it off, her past comes ch ...more
Kate

I consider Ms. Beauman to be talented author and here it was no different. I have enjoyed many books by this author. Her writing is captivating and she knows how to tell a good story that is entertaining. Here it is no different.

In saying all of the above this book did work for me. It started off strong and I was engrossed in the story. The characters were interesting and a pleasure to get to know. But along the way my sympathy for the heroine declined and my lack of understanding that the Hero
Sherry Fundin
Secrets Hidden in the Glass is a looooong book and I have a lot to say. Once I started, I only put it down to eat, use the facilities, and sleep. The characters quickly became my friends and I went on one hell of a ride, filled with danger and suspense. It has so many elements I love in a book, my page and a half of notes is going to have to be severely edited.

Callie desperately needed a vacation and felt the magical affects of the island her first day there. She was in desperate need of sleep a
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
3.5 Stars

It takes one simple occurrence to uncover a deeply buried secret from the past.

I enjoyed the author’s Bodyguards of LA County series. When I discovered she would be releasing a new book with a different series, I was excited to get my hands on a copy.

What the story is about.

Secrets Hidden in the Glass is the story of Callie Davis and Nate Carter. Callie is a renowned Stained-Glass artist who is facing a slump in her artistic talents. To combat the pressures and the stress, which contrib
Hope Frost
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of this author's Bodyguard series, since it started, so I was super excited to see that she had written something outside the series. The writing reminds me a lot of Karen Rose's writing with a little more romance, but for sure lots of mystery and I think KR is a genius so, that tells you how I felt about this one. It was well written, and really long, it is well thought out and the characters are well defined and lovable. Every time I thought I had it figured out, there was a ...more
MRIDULA
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

About twenty years ago, Callie Davis, a famous stained glass artist, was left alone in a diner in Manhattan under unexplainable circumstances. She has no recollection of that day or days before that. Years after the event, Callie faces an artist block and decides to take a much-needed vacation. She is drawn towards Carter Island when she finds a brochure about a 'Mary's Buff' located in the heart of the Island.

Callie lands in Carter Island and as the days pass, she finds herself
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is long, like really long. And it felt long as I was reading it. I did enjoy the time I spend reading it, but it wasn’t one of those books I got so lost in I didn’t notice the time passing. I’m torn as to how to rate this book, the plot was good, the characters were interesting, but it didn’t keep my interest well.

Cate Beauman wrote some very compelling characters in this book. Callie’s life was incredibly heartbreaking, even the best parts of it – before her time on the island – were
E.
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Secrets Hidden in the Glass” by Cate Beauman centers around renowned stained-glass artist Callie Davis, whose long-needed vacation brings her to Carter Island, a halcyon community off of Massachusetts. Her retreat from the public eye brings her into frequent contact with Sheriff Nate Carter, whose ties to the island go back generations, and who feels responsible for all of those in his care, including temporary inhabitants like Callie. Their rapidly intensifying relationship is both exhilaratin ...more
Michele
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Callie May is a world known artist who works with glass. She and her artwork have traveled all over. She has reviews at a high class art exhibit house. She is however ready for a break--her muse has left and she figures if she takes a trip to a small island off the Massachusetts cost all will come back together for her. She was abandoned by her mother at around the age of 4. It made the news and she was known as "little girl lost". Nobody realized that Callie is one and the same and she intends ...more
Heather Osborne
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on behalf of Readers' Favorite

Secrets Hidden in the Glass by Cate Beauman is a romantic suspense novel and a part of the Carter Island series. Callie Davis, a world-renowned stained-glass artist, is in desperate need of a break from her hectic Manhattan life and Carter Island seems like the perfect place to disappear for a few weeks. What she didn’t expect was to fall in love with not only the island, but the handsome sheriff, Nate Carter. Despite the idyllic setting, there is one thing
Shelly
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hailing from whiskey country, I would have to rate this book as high-proof. Why? Because you get SO much in-between the covers. That being said, this was a fantastic way for me to be introduced to Cate Beauman's books. It took me a few days to get through but as I neared the finale, I propped my eyes open because I had to know how everything wrapped up.

Immediately, I felt a kinship with Callie because of how she was over-stressed from work and struggling with fueling her creativity. As the story
Angela
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the typical boy meets girl romantic suspense novel that you've come to love if you've read any of Cate Beauman's Bodyguard series. Boy meets girl. Boy and girl fall in love while boy tries to protect girl from some mystery that is trying to hurt her. Girl gets kidnapped during the last few chapters until boy shows up and rescues girl while putting the bad guy away. Typical right?

Yep and I love it! I love it because of the mystery surrounding the whole story. Yes the romance is nice and s
Dilyana
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
My rating: 3.5/5

Secrets Hidden in the Glass had a very promising start. It had that special something that made you turn the page even though you couldn't pinpoint exactly where the charm came from. However, as the book progressed, its charm lessened.

I had two issues with the novel. One was its length, and it wasn't just because I prefer shorter books. There were some unnecessary scenes and details that could've been skipped for better pacing.

The second one was the main heroine, Callie.

Just like
Elene Wood
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another excellent book from this author and I hope the start of another great series. Yes the book is long but this gives the characters a chance to develop and become real people you can care about. Nate is a caring, thoughtful man. He is not a superhero out to save the world. He is content in his life as sherif on his island caring and being involved in the day to day running of the town. This does not make him boring, it makes him real and you can empathise with him as he struggles to sol ...more
Millie
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Beauman's writing style and I tend to enjoy her characters, especially slightly more introvert heroines (I know that's not everyone's cup of tea!) but...
this book was just really LOOOOOOOOOOONG*. I usually appreciate something on the longer side, in terms of development. However, this felt repetitive. There wasn't much 'push-pull' between the two main characters, more just a bit of (slow) shuffling. I also felt the focus was on the hero - although he was solving the heroine's cold case -
Sherry
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Secrets Hidden in the Glass by Cate Beauman is long and has a slow start, it picks its pace, and it fills up the pages with interesting characters. Suspense? Check. Romance? Check. Plot twists? Check.

Details are abundant in Ms. Beauman’s writing and it was easy to picture the island in your mind. Where things were located, what the characters looked like, their mannerisms. The details made for a more realistic experience and helped me connect to the story.

The families in Secrets Hidden in
Whispers From
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Callie is a stained glass artist and goes to Carter Island for a vacation. Her work is causing lots of stress and she needs time to regroup. She rents a cottage and her landlord is handsome Noah, also the sheriff. Noah tried to living in the city but came back to the island. Callie was abandoned at a diner when she was four years old. She remembers absolutely nothing before getting on a plane to go to her new adoptive family. Now since she’s been on the island, she’s been having weird dreams. Na ...more
Konny
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Secrets Hidden In The Glass (A Carter Island Novel) by Cate Beauman is a standalone romance novel.
Meet Callie Davis, she´s a world renowed artist. She´s burned out and comes to Carter Island to spend her holidays there.
And on her first day she meets the captivating landlord/sheriff Nate Carter. Both have this crazy insta-chemistry. She finds new friends and can breathe again.
But ghosts from her past follow here and threaten to destroy their HEA.
There´s drama, viloence, love and twists and unexpe
Sara
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!

Secrets Hidden in the Glass is a fast-paced thriller with a great mystery.

Callie has a mysterious past. Now a stained-glass artist, she is having a creative block and decides to take a break. She heads to Carter Island after seeing a brochure for a local attraction that seems to draw her in. She meets the local sheriff, Nate Carter, and the two slowly grow closer. When the mystery starts to unravel, they work together to figure out her past and her connection to the island.

I enjoyed thi
Lorraine
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story was unexpected. It begins in current day, but, it must go back to the past in order to unravel a mystery. An artist who works in stained glass is the subject of the story. All of her life she has been hiding the fact that she was once abandoned as a child by her mother. This has been a tough pill to swallow. She rents a cottage on an island, which she does not remember ever having visited in her past. She is hoping to regain her inspiration to work while on the island. As time passes, ...more
Betanda Shanam
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secrets Hidden in the Glass unfolded seamlessly. The characters came to live on the pages. At first, I thought it was going to be a simple romance. I was wrong. The mystery that slowly unfolded kept me guessing with every page I turned. The concepts of Callie’s character were interesting, though it would have been refreshing if the main characters didn’t have such perfect bodies and careers! I found the book to be a great way to escape daily life during the slow release back to normality.
I’m exc
Amy
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secrets Hidden in the Glass is the first installment from the Carter Island series by Cate Beauman. It is, also, my introduction to her books. It definitely will not be my last. I enjoyed getting to know Callie and loved her interactions with Nathan. The setting was perfect for their story.

I am giving Secrets Hidden in the Glass a very well deserved five plus stars. I recommend it for those who enjoy romantic suspense.

I received this book from the author. This review is 100% my own honest opini
Debra
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Many Secrets! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Secrets in theGlass is an amazing new romantic suspense novel by Cate Beauman! It’s the start of a new series and I could not have been more pleased with this story. Callie and Nate are a fantastic couple with so many secrets from the past driving their future. I enjoyed their story and I hope that the next one in the series is about Nate’s sister Molly and longtime friend Brad!
Davia
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super!

While others complained that it was too long, I for one believed it was perfect. I am adopted and come from a family of many adoptees all stories behind them are slightly different. I am glad Cate took the time to really develop Callie and Nate as characters. I felt it allowed the reader to really empathize with the trials they were facing. I thought the mystery storyline was fantastic.Bravo Cate! Waiting for the nexr installment! Write on. Davia
Joni
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another great book! I loved the Bodyguard series and I hope this turns into a series. Callie and Nate’s story was full of twists and turns, not the normal love story which is what makes it so captivating. The little island and everyone in the town brings such a homey feel. I feel like the characters all come to life by the writing. The book was long but I never got bored. I like long books when they keep my attention and this does not fail.
Trude
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked Nate and Callie and their chemistry. There is a good mystery dealing with what happened to Callie and her mother 22 years ago...but for a while I thought we would never find out what happened. As well as I liked the book it seemed a little long and I kept wanting to hurry things along a little. But...l did really enjoy Callie and Nate so I give the book 4 stars.
Veronica Jarvis
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! The characters are strong, intriguing, and likeable. The story has many unexpected twists and turns but you continue to root for Callie to find out all of the truth about her early life. The hot romance scenes just add to the overall atmosphere of the book. I can’t wait to read the next nook in this series.
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Secrets Hidden in the Glass is an enjoyable read. I actually did enjoy this book, but there were times when the story felt like it was slowing down too much. If it was a little shorter with a more consistent pace I would have rated it higher. That said, I absolutely fell in love with Callie and Nate and became totally engrossed in the mystery surrounding Callie's past. A fun, if long, read.
Stephanie Glennon
AMAZING..

I love all of Cates books, they are filled with so many stories in one.. romance, suspense, murder, friendship.. & they are always a good lengthy book ❤️ this one is no different with Nate & Callie’s story, I can’t wait to see if the next one is about Brad & Molly 🤞

• The Legend of Gasparilla and His Treasure (Matthew Connor Adventure #3)
  • In the Night (Darkness Falls, #1)
  • Dark Memento (Verona Bay, #1)
  • Flowers on Her Grave
  • A Little Bit Wicked (The Wickeds: Dark Knights at Bayside, #1)
  • Broken Dawn (Immortal Guardians, #10)
  • Surrender (Seaside Pictures, #4)
  • The Woods (A Berry Springs Novel)
  • Cheap Trick
  • Hiking the Grand Mesa: A Clementine the Rescue Dog Story
  • Mill Point Road
  • The Money Man (The Consultants, #1)
  • Betwixt (Betwixt & Between #1)
  • Security Breach (Maple Valley #1)
  • Such A Pretty Girl (FBI, #2)
  • The Intended Victim (The Agency #4)
  • Stealing Vengeance (Vengeance, #1)
  • Protecting Sam (Sanctuary #1)
Cate Beauman is the multi-award-winning, international bestselling author of The Bodyguards
of L.A. County series and the Carter Island Novels. She is known for her full-length, action-packed romantic suspense and contemporary stories.

Cate's novels have been named Readers' Favorite Five Star books and have won the Booksellers' Best Award, Maggie Award for Excellence, the Holt Medallion Award, two-t

Carter Island (2 books)
  • Aftermath of Secrets (Carter Island, #2)