Start by marking “Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1)

(Saga o Wiedźminie #3)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  45,111 ratings  ·  1,890 reviews
For more than a hundred years humans, dwarves, gnomes and elves lived together in relative peace. But times have changed, the uneasy peace is over and now the races once again fight each other - and themselves: Dwarves are killing their kinsmen, and elves are murdering humans and elves, at least those elves who are friendly to humans... Into this tumultuous time is born a ...more
Published October 2017 by Orbit (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Blood of Elves, please sign up.
Andrew Sandberg If you still haven't gotten an answer yet, it goes
The Last Wish (ironically)
The Sword of Destiny
Times of Contempt
Baptism by Fire
…more
If you still haven't gotten an answer yet, it goes
The Last Wish (ironically)
The Sword of Destiny
Times of Contempt
Baptism by Fire
The Tower of Swallows
The Lady of the Lake(less)
Μιχάλης The games are a loose sequel to the books, meaning that they come after the seventh novel and borrow on a lot of events from the books (from instance,…moreThe games are a loose sequel to the books, meaning that they come after the seventh novel and borrow on a lot of events from the books (from instance, the Strigga storyline from the Last Wish comes up in The Witcher Game) but, at the same time, they are not a strict sequel as some secondary characters are reinterpreted(is The Professor)

At the same time, the characterisation of the characters is non-consistent, having even the main character being much different in books and in the game.(less)

·  45,111 ratings  ·  1,890 reviews

Joey Woolfardis
This review can be found on Amaranthine Reads.

Considering how well-written and quick-paced the short story prequel collection The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski was, this was ridiculously disappointing and underwhelming. We have the same characters as was to be found in The Last Wish, and we had their personalities expanded and explored further, but we had none of the excitement or fantasy that was found there.

Blood of Elves is very slow and very closed-off. We spend far too much time in one pla
Evgeny
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book signifies a sharp departure from the previous two. The first and second ones were collections of short stories mostly told from Geralt the Witcher POV. This time this is a full-length novel with multiple POVs. Actually we only see Geralt's POV in just one chapter - and a shortish one too. In my opinion the book still shows its origins in short story format as the transitions between the chapters are mostly not continuous. Instead they start with a jump in time to give a flashback to co ...more
James Lafayette  Tivendale
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Blood of Elves is chronologically the 3rd entry within The Witcher saga. Whereas previously all the short stories followed Geralt of Rivia working on certain monster assassination assignments, within Blood of Elves he is one of 3 or 4 main characters that we share the minds of. For the novels, you can start here but I wouldn't recommend it. I found that I completely loved the groundwork I'd put in with the previous narratives and then hearing about the past stories mentioned of which I'd already ...more
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Geralt of The Last Wish, where art thou?!

Do I need to call the puny human authorities and tell them to issue an AMBER alert? Have the obnoxious aliens abducted you again, as I suspect they did in book 2? Or is it that the Evil Russians™ are holding you hostage until I surrender my East Siberian Sea dominion? That very well could be. The Fluffy Siberian Bunnies (FSB™) can get bloody shrimping devious like that sometimes. Then again, I don't think that this is what happened here. You know what I t
Markus
"The era of the sword and axe is nigh, the era of the wolf’s blizzard. The Time of the White Chill and the White Light is nigh, the Time of Madness and the Time of Contempt: Tedd Deireádh, the Time of End. The world will die amidst frost and be reborn with the new sun. It will be reborn of the Elder Blood, of Hen Ichaer, of the seed that has been sown. A seed which will not sprout but will burst into flame. Ess’tuath esse! Thus it shall be! Watch for the signs! What signs these shall be, I say ...more
Michelle
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witcherverse
“Blood of Elves”, the third book in “The Witcher” series, is the first full length novel. I recommend reading the two short story collections first (“The Last Wish” and “The Sword of Destiny”) as they are linked together to form the background for this book. It will also give you a feel of the writing style and pacing of the whole series. This is not an action pack, high stakes thriller. This is a very slow, character driven tale where the enjoyment is taken from world-building escapism. I'm not ...more
Celise
For anyone who's played The Witcher games, or anyone who has not but is interested in dark fantasy, I encourage you to consider reading The Last Wish, which is the first of The Witcher books, an anthology of short stories. Read it before this, and Sword of Destiny too. They're good, and you'll thank yourself for it later when you're not trying to decipher the backstory behind this one. The Blood of Elves is the first full-length novel in the series, and I was not disappointed. It's even made it ...more
Logan
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it like I knew I would. It was well worth the wait, and I can not wait until the next installment. For some reason, my wife and I were possessed by the title and now run around the house doing some ridiculous call and response thing-
Me(from downstairs, yelling black metal voice): "BLOOD OF ELVES"
Her (from upstairs, shrieking black metal voice): "BLLLLLLLLLLOOOOD OF EELLLVVVVEEES"

There are worse reactions a book can inspire.
Knjigoholičarka
REVIEW IZ 2018:

Jenefer je carica. <3

geralt and yen

REVIEW IZ 2014:

Šta sve donosi epska fantastika? Vilenjake, patuljke, magiju, seksi čarobnice. Koje sve motive možete očekivati od epske fantastike? Pa, zasigurno neko Proročanstvo, pojavljivanje Odabranog, najmanje jednog super frajera mračne prošlosti i slomljenog srca, koji se pretvara da to je isto srce odavno skamenjeno.

I dete.

Slatko, pametno, šarmantno do bola dete, koje, samo kako to deca umeju i znaju, svojom prostodušnošću, brbljavošću, radoznalošću
Mike (the Paladin)
I "feel" (note the use of the word "feel" rather than "think") I should (have) like(ed) this book better. The plot sounds very interesting. The girl Ciri, child of promise and prophecy (yes a common motif in fantasy and folklore) who was promised to the Witcher before she was born. (Evil faeries and so on used to claim that promise). The story of her "education", training, change and all the people around who want to protect or use her.

But I just found the book a sort of yawner. It opens with a
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/07/01/a...

I remember being thrilled when I discovered that The Witcher saga by Andrzej Sapkowski was available in audio format. As a big fan of the video games which were adapted from this series, I was of course interested in reading the books, but as waiting for the English translation from its original Polish already required a bit of patience, I never really dared hope that the audiobooks would be coming too.

As of this writing t
Mili
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read. Nothing huuuge happens in the book, its mostly focussd on Ciri and her training. But still the world and the characters are epic so its just good to be reading about them. Relaxing even haha. Anyway a war is coming up and a bit of training is deff necessary. I mean I do want if Ciri becomes this crazy ass whipping chick to be believable. And this book is just the beginning and a small part of a bigger journey.
Abigail
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I jumped right into this after reading "The Last Wish" expecting something similar in terms of pacing and structure. Instead this picked up a dangling thread from one of the short stories in the previous book and wove an epic fantasy.

I did feel that I needed a map to keep all of the little countries and their relations to each other, and maybe even a diagram with all the rulers and their relations to each other, but the important ones were easy enough to follow.

To me it felt like Ciri was real
Gorgona Grim
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Forma koja opisuje sagu se još jednom promenila, te sada pratimo nastavak priče kao roman. Iako mi je do sada najbolje legla forma kratkih priča, moram da priznam da je podjednako zanimljivo čitati nastavak u klasičnom maniru. Pribojavala sam se da će tempo pripovedanja opasti i da će se saga, poput nekih drugih priča iz žanra epske fantastike, razvuči u moru nepotrebnih opisa. Međutim, Sapkovski nastavlja u identičnom ritmu i piše odličan nastavak sage.

Geralt, veštac iz Rivije, odvodi Ciri, Čed
C.T. Phipps
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, grimdark, witcher
Blood of Elves is the first full-length novel of the Witcher franchise. Strangely, it was translated into English as the second novel despite the second anthology, Sword of Destiny, having a huge role in setting up this novel's events. How huge? Well, about sixty-percent of the story deals with the aftermath of the Nilfgaard invasion of the North. The Nilfgaard invasion of the North happens in Sword of Destiny. The rest of the novel deals with Geralt's adoption of Ciri, which is kind of importa ...more
Kat  Hooper
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com.
Thomas
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017, e-books
Βαθμολογία: ★★★★

Τα πράγματα σοβαρεύουν στον κόσμο του Witcher. Στο τρίτο βιβλίο (αλλά πρώτο μυθιστόρημα) της σειράς ξεκινά επίσημα η saga της Ciri που μας συστήθηκε στην τελευταία ιστορία του προηγούμενου βιβλίου. Βλέπουμε επιτέλους κι άλλους αγαπημένους χαρακτήρες από τα βιντεοπαιχνίδια να κάνουν την εμφάνισή τους, γνωρίζουμε καλύτερα τον κόσμο από πολιτική και γεωγραφική άποψη και γενικά ετοιμάζεται να γίνει χαμός. Τέσσερα αστέρια μόνο για την έλλειψη ιδιαίτερης δράσης.
Delia ✨
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**** 4/5 ****

Oddly enough, I really enjoyed the politics in this book. It was more slow paced, and heavy in strategic talk. I think I will go back to the short stories before delving into the rest of the series.
James Schmidt
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today I will be reviewing Blood of Elves (The Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski

I want to start off by saying I am NOT a gamer and know nothing of the video games. So if you want to talk to me about the games, sorry! Nothing against gamers, its just not my thing. I know the games were based on these books, and are very popular, but that is as far as my knowledge goes.

I have seen many people say how great these books are, and that they are very Sword and Sorcery, Conan Esq pulpy fantasy, which is tota
José
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mucho mejor que los dos anteriores.

La historia es narrada desde diferentes puntos de vista, con capítulos que siguen a Jaskier, Yennefer, Geralt y Ciri; también comienza a quedar más claro cómo funciona la magia y otros aspectos relacionados con los brujos.

A pesar de que está muy bueno, se lee rápido y no le falta momentos cargados de acción y humor, considero que este libro sirve de "puente" entre los relatos de los primeros libros y el resto de la saga.

La estoy pasando bárbaro con esta saga
Fonch
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've seen a critique of my good friend Jorge Sáez, and it has stung me the itch to envy. So, while testing, and I think how to write criticism criticism of "Apocalypse: the day of the Lord", which at the moment is the best book of this year with the permission of the writings by Manuel Alfonseca, Rodney Stark, and Giovanni Papini, who have written what you liked most in e January l, and that I have read a lot.
"Blood of Elves" according to what he previously read from the author his two first boo
Hossein
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
خب بالاخره داستان اصلی شروع شد با این کتاب. در مجموع داستان خوبی بود. تنها مشکلش اضافه گویی شخصیت ها تو بعضی قسمتا بود. ترجمه هم بی نقص و روان بود
4/5
Cody
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-books
This is the Witcher book I had been hoping to read. The first two books in the series, while generally good and informative, were only short stories that ultimately felt quite disconnected. Blood of Elves quickly fixes that, and traditionally feels like the epic stories from the video game series. Sapkowski's novel centers on Ciri, the royal granddaughter to the fallen kingdom of Cintra, and her mentorship under Geralt of Rivia and the other Witchers at their base of Kaer Morhen, alongside Triss ...more
Aly's Bookish Wonderland

I absolutely adored (of course I did, it's the Witcher, damnit) Blood of Elves and the only reason I'm giving it 3.5 stars and not 4 is because of the huge chunk of story that is pretty much just kings and queens sitting around, contemplating the end of the world as they know it as they drink and warm themselves by the fire. That bit bored me to tears and I skimmed mercilessly, knowing I'd probably find out a better, more easily readable version at some point later on in the story.

Blood
Marta Conejo
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La saga de Geralt comienza a ser una historia en lugar de pequeñas historias cortas. Esta novela te deja conocer más a los personajes. A Geralt, quién tiene que cambiar sus pensamientos sobre el destino; a Yennefer y a Ciri, dos personas que tienen más unión de la que parece... todo ello en un contexto bien labrado y con una historia que consigue engancharte y ver sus uniones con los personajes...

A por el siguiente!
Wendy
I could have played a drinking game based on how many times the phrase "blood of elves" came up in the first chapter of the book. Not that I'm complaining. In fact, a good few drinks would have added to the fun I had listening to this audiobook.

This is listed as the third book in the Witcher series, with two short story collections coming before it, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. It's not necessary to read either of these to appreciate Blood of Elves, but it's definitely to your advantage.
Paolina Daniele
In questo terzo libro della saga dello strigo Sapkowski concede più spazio a personaggi che assumono il ruolo di co-protagonisti prima fra tutti Ciri, la bambina sorpresa, il destino di Geralt, la piccola che Geralt ritrova alla fine di La spada del destino; qui lei ha un ruolo centrale. Ciri, ritrovata da Geralt viene condotta inizialmente, dallo strigo stesso, alla residenza degli strighi dove viene sottoposta a un duro addestramento fisico. Non assume però le pozioni comunemente usati dagli s ...more
Julie
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"And the girl?" Yarpen indicated Ciri with his head as she wriggled under the sheepskin. "Yours?"

"Mine," he replied without thinking. "Mine, Zigrin."

Auuughh, my feelings!!

I'll say it again, though: you should definitely start this series with The Last Wish, because the short stories do a much better job of worldbuilding and getting you interested in this universe; plus, characterwise, you'll care so much more about Geralt, Yennefer, Ciri, and even background characters like Yarpen, Dandelion, an
C Joy
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy, magic, those who want something refreshing
Recommended to C Joy by: Toshi-kun
This was a rather laid back novel full of trouble brewing, wars in the making, and the introduction of Ciri, the Child Surprise, Geralt's and the other witchers' destiny.

For those who haven't read the prequel:

In "The Last Wish", there's a story where Geralt was invitied to an event by Queen Calanthe, the Lioness of Cintra and he was asked to disguise himself. The cunning witcher knew at once there's something afoot until there's a commotion, a knight who refuses to reveal his face, (turns out it
Cris
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En esta nueva entrega de la serie de Geralt de Rivia nos encontramos con un formato distinto. Ya no leemos una serie de relatos con una relación de tiempos y espacios más o menos aleatoria sino que la historia se desarrolla de manera prácticamente lineal y con un hilo conductor mucho más marcado. Sin embargo, no es una diferencia radical: los numerosos cambios de perspectiva y localización suavizan la transición entre los dos estilos.

Nos acercamos a ciertos personajes que hasta ahora habían perm
  • Młot na czarownice (Mordimer Madderdin #9)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 3 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #3)
  • Siewca Wiatru (Zastępy Anielskie, #2)
  • Achaja. Tom II (Achaja, #2)
  • Paradyzja
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #1)
  • Tkacz iluzji (Kroniki Drugiego Kręgu, #0.5)
  • Wszyscy jesteśmy podejrzani
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 2 (Wolha Redna, #2)
  • Opowieści z meekhańskiego pogranicza. Północ - Południe
  • Szósta klepka (Jeżycjada, #1)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

Saga o Wiedźminie (7 books)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1)
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)
“To be neutral does not mean to be indifferent or insensitive. You don't have to kill your feelings. It's enough to kill hatred within yourself.” 148 likes
“Mistakes,’ he said with effort, ‘are also important to me. I don’t cross them out of my life, or memory. And I never blame others for them.” 61 likes