Start by marking “This I Would Kill For (Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist, #3)” as Want to Read:
This I Would Kill For (Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist, #3)

This I Would Kill For

(Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist #3)

Natalie King has been hired to do a psychiatric evaluation for the children’s court. A custody dispute. Not her usual territory, but now that she’s pregnant she’s happy to do a simple consult.

Turns out Jenna and Malik’s break-up is anything but simple. He claims she’s crazy and compulsive; she claims he’s been abusing their daughter Chelsea.

But what if all the claims are t
Published January 29th 2018 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about This I Would Kill For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This I Would Kill For

Marianne
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This I Would Kill For is the third book in the Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist series by Australian psychiatrist and author, Professor Anne Buist. As it follows on almost directly from Dangerous To Know with many characters in common and minimal recap, readers will do well to read both earlier books first.

Having prepared what should have been a routine psychiatric evaluation in a custody case, forensic psychiatrist Natalie King is dismayed to find herself in court when the mother, Jenna Rad
Text Publishing
‘A] well-informed, fast-paced look at the dangers in the child welfare system.’
Kirkus Reviews

‘Buist uses her own professional knowledge to present a highly-charged situation of suspected child abuse, differing cultural norms in raising children and relationships between the range of professionals involved…There is highly insightful and succinctly presented description and explanation of the pitfalls in such a case, where supporting a suspected abuser may result in a dangerous custody decision. T
Moraig
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read, crime
Nowadays I rarely read the Bible, but Anne Buist’s third book in the psychiatrist Natalie King series This I Would Kill For sent me digging out my battered King James version to refresh my memory of King Solomon. When two women appear before Solomon, both claiming to be mother of an infant, he calls for a sword. ‘Divide the living child in two, and give half to one and half to the other.’ The first woman begs to spare the child’s life and forfeits her claim. The other says, ‘Let it be neither th ...more
Bookread2day
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My full review on my website. www.bookread2day.wordpress.com
Scott
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first journey into the trials and tribulations of psychiatrist, Dr Natalie King, thanks to the generosity of the publishers in a Goodreads giveaway.
Dr King is drawn into a web of family drama with a battle between parents for their two children. What comes next is a series of doubt-riddled moments, with more twists and turns than a pretzel.
It took me a little brain work to catch up on the main characters’ backstories, but once I did I sprinted along with the plot.
Worth a read for
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘He wants to take my kids off me.’

Forensic psychiatrist Dr Natalie King has been hired to do an evaluation. This psychiatric evaluation is required for a custody dispute in a case before the children’s court. While this is not Natalie King’s usual area of work, she’s happy to do what should be a routine consultation now that she’s pregnant.

But there’s nothing routine about this case. Jenna Radford and Malik Essa each see the other as being the problem. Malik says that Jenna is crazy and compulsi
Karen
This is a series that started out with much promise, which alas hasn't been delivered in THIS I WOULD KILL FOR.

On the psychological thriller side of the equation, this was deeply unconvincing. A child abuser that was obvious from his first appearance, a central protagonist that's gone from a bit of a maverick to unprofessional, wilfully childish and tiresome; and a storyline balance heavily weighted towards too much of the personal, too much baby talk and enough fluff around the edges to make yo
Mandy
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the third and latest book in the Natalie King series, and is much like the previous ones. A typically complex case for the troubled forensic psychologist - difficult judgements to make, lots of ins and outs to work through – and is a compelling and engaging psychological thriller that keeps the reader involved and guessing to the end. A good read.
Sandi Wallace
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
Michelle Ryles
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys-read
This I Would Kill For is a relatively quick read as the story runs along at a surprisingly fast pace and I found myself jumping to my own conclusions. I was actually surprised to find that this is number 3 in a series, as it most definitely reads very well as a standalone; I certainly didn't experience any detrimental effect from not having read the earlier two books. In fact I felt intrigued enough by the main character of Natalie King to want to read the previous books, so that's always a good ...more
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from NetGalley and publisher Legend Press in exchange for an honest review.

I am so pleased I requested this book! I don't think I have ever read a book similar to this and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't realise it is the third in a series and while it is one of those detective-type series where you don't have to read the ones before it, there were still some rocky elements at the start which it took me a while to adjust to. However, after that I was completely hooked.

This
Monique
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Text Publishing and the author for the free copy of this novel.

I’ve not read any of the author’s previous novels and was expecting more of a gruesome murder mystery, not this sympathetic and humanist look at a very difficult and unsettling topic; child abuse.

Natalie King is a forensic psychologist who is given the task of assessing an eight year old girl to determine if she’s being abused by her adoptive father. Natalie herself is dealing with mental illness and the consequences of one
Jessica
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
“This I would Kill For” by Ann Buist is the third novel in a series, and I didn’t realise it. Luckily I was able to pick it up and step right into the story.

Synopsis - Psychiatrist Natalie King is the expert witness in a child contact matter in the Children’s Court. Getting it wrong means handing a child over to an abuser—or depriving that child of the only father she knows.

The book had a lot of analysis and exploration into child/adult behaviour, the theme being sexual abuse and trauma. The Roy
Liz
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Set in Australia, a pregnant psychiatrist confronts her own issues of parentage while serving as expert witness in a custody case where an immigrant father is accused of child abuse. It is a tangled web of characters: police detective/possible father of Natalie's baby, high profile prosecutor/love interest with a fancy car/going through a tough divorce , the secretive plaintiff and her always intoxicated mother, the manipulative defendant and his mother, the 2 children, Natalie's brother and his ...more
Cheryl
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The character of Natalie has really grown on me as the series continues. She is complex, unpredictable and frequently imprudent, but her heart is always in the right place and she seems to be thinking more of others and less of herself as her character evolves. In this book, we see her coming to terms with impending motherhood but, in typical Natalie King fashion, she first has to figure out who the father is and which of her two love interests would be the best bet for her and her unborn child. ...more
Jennifer Gottschalk
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly good read that got better with each page.

The protagonist (Natalie King) is an interesting character - a bipolar psychologist who is smart, capable and more than a little flawed. Initially I had a hard time identifying with a woman who was not even sure who the father of her unborn child was.

As the story progressed it became clear that Natalie was a good person doing her best in trying circumstances. The pacing was excellent and ultimately reading the book was a satisfying experien
Grace
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued by this book because of the title and the front cover. I didn't even realise it was part of a series but I was still able to read and enjoy it regardless.
I think one of the main reasons I liked this book so much is because I liked the main character and was interested in the parts about her personal life as well as the interesting case she was working on.
The first 80% of the book was a little slow but still interested me and I really had no idea who the abuser could be. The last
Patricia
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I hoped for more - but the Twitter element in the book was annoying and unnecessary. More development of the characters without Twitter would have made it a better book. It was pretty easy to figure out the perpetrator and the failure of the protagonist to consider who it might be and why, was another annoying element. Also - a supposedly independent professional woman, albeit one who is bi polar, and who constantly takes her boyfriend's Lotus without asking. Really?
Who is left to admire in thi
Louise
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Cate
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was well written and an easy book to consume. Caveat though - I was on holidays and was enjoying just hanging out and reading. As a lawyer, I found some of the legal references a little trite at times but it didn't distract me from the plot, and I really liked the character development. I work in mental health, and so I was drawn to the challenges that professionals face in the 'system'. It's a good read and I'll definitely go looking for the other books by the aut ...more
Morgan Schulman
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review

This one was unique- some of the tropes were there: the mental health clinician is mentally ill herself AND off her meds, the mother reporting DV and child sexual abuse has her own secrets to hide, the cultural relativism card played in a sensational court case, but the author sets up the narrative and the characters in such a compelling way that it is still fresh and enjoyable.
Margaret Grace
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Ailuj25
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting enough story, looots going on in here, felt a little like a textbook at times with lots of explanations and details about what behaviours the characters were exhibiting and why.
Tania Chandler
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The third (and arguably the best) instalment of the Natalie King series. A smart, well-written, flawlessly researched page-turner.
Kay Graves
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book now want to read the others in the series. i really love Natalie with all her flaws. Couldn't put it down!
Simona
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoy this series
Amanda Williams
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very well written with a compelling story that will leave you wanting more. Would happily read more of their work.
Cait
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A very intriguing book.
The topic at hand has always interested me and seeing something like this is really good.
The writing style was great but lacking interest for me in some parts.
Natalie
  • The Memory Artist
  • Absolute Zero Cool
  • Bridget Crack
  • Love, Lies and Linguine
Anne Buist is the Chair of Women’s Mental Health at the University of Melbourne and has over 25 years clinical and research experience in perinatal psychiatry. She works with Protective Services and the legal system in cases of abuse, kidnapping, infanticide and murder. Medea’s Curse is her first mainstream psychological thriller.

Professor Buist is married to novelist Graeme Simsion and has two ch

Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist (3 books)
  • Medea's Curse (Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist, #1)
  • Dangerous to Know (Natalie King, Forensic Psychiatrist, #2)