Start by marking “Iver and Ellsworth” as Want to Read:
Iver and Ellsworth

Iver and Ellsworth

From a factory rooftop, Iver and his good friend Ellsworth (a rooftop bear) are content to watch the busy world below.

“Everyone’s going somewhere,” Iver says. “We can see the whole world from up here. That’s enough somewhere for me.”

But after Iver retires, the friends must venture out in search of a new somewhere. Of course, the very best views are those you share with an
Published May 22nd 2018 by Ripple Grove Press

To ask other readers questions about Iver and Ellsworth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iver and Ellsworth

Kaethe Douglas
Lovely. It's an usual subject for a picture book: a man who works in a factory and takes his lunch up to the roof everyday to sit with the inflatable polar bear on the roof. Iver is the man and Ellsworth is the polar bear, which is an excellent name, almost as good as Iorek (pronounced Yorick), definitely better than Olaf, the Polar Sodas' mascot who lives on the factory roof in Worcester MA and inspired the story.
The art is also very pretty, and I like the shape of Ellsworth more than the real
Becky
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Ellsworth is a rooftop bear. Underneath him, a factory hums and a man bustles. The man's name is Iver. Iver and Ellsworth are good friends.

Premise/plot: Iver and Ellsworth are good friends. Iver spends his lunchtime visiting Ellsworth on the roof. But what will happen when Iver retires?!

My thoughts: I enjoyed this picture book. Not many picture books focus on older generations, on senior citizens. I loved getting to know Iver as he takes care of Ellsworth throughout the book. An
KC
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable and sweet story of an again man and the inflatable bear that he tends to.
Hannah Holt
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about the power of kindness. For years, Iver takes care of Ellsworth (a giant promotional bear on the roof of the building where he works). When Iver retires, Ellsworth is neglected and Iver himself feels a little out of sorts with his new situation.

Over the distance, there's a force pulling the two friends back together. To me, this is a story of how every kindness--however small--leaves a mark on our lives. And how love can come in unconventional ways. That love makes our lives a
Jessie Oliveros
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet tale about the constancy of frienship. This book has the feel of a classic, something that will last a long time on the shelves. Iver tends to the balloon bear, Ellsworth, that sits atop the factory where he works. He eats lunch with the bear. He tends to the upkeep of the bear. He is content with where he is. He has no desire to "go somewhere." But then Iver retires, and he has to say good-bye to his friend. In a fun twist, Ellsworth lets himself be blown away in search of him. The ...more
Sheri
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a heartwarming friendship story that produced by Ripple Grove Press. The illustrations are beautiful watercolor images. The story is quiet and soothing as Iver takes care of the rooftop bear. When Iver retired and does not come for him anymore the illustrations tell the story. The ending is sweet and satisfying. I wonder how children will feel about Ellsworth's new home and the ending?
I can't wait to read it to mine.
Susan Lubner
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a charming story about a man who cares for this roof top bear until he is no longer able to do so. But if the man can’t get to the bear, the bear will get to the man! In this enchanting story all’s well when the two friends are together once again. A sweet and heartfelt tale that when finished reading leaves you feeling like you've just been hugged.
Christy
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
What a beautiful, lyrical book! I love this story of friendship, and how the illustrations enhance the words, and how a sad separation leads to a charming conclusion. You may recognize a certain rooftop bear, glimpsed while driving down the highway. Whether or not you do, Casey Robinson has created a winning tale of a special friendship in this book.
Lynn
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and very touching. Iver has taken care of the rooftop promotional bear his whole career and he loves to sit on the roof with Ellsworth and watch the busy people below all going somewhere. But what will happen in Iver retires?

I love the utterly charming pencil and watercolor illustrations and this unusual story of friendship.
Beth Anderson
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this quiet tale of friendship, the endearing details bring life to the characters. The beautiful illustrations and gentle text remind us that a sense of purpose and someone or something to care for is an important part of our humanity.
Jen Betton
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely book on friendship and sticking together in changing circumstances. The author and illustrator both do a great job of showing a tender friendship despite the fact that one of the characters says little, and the other nothing at all! Heartwarming.
Viviane Elbee
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute picture book about unusual friendships - this one is between a rooftop inflatable bear and an old man. The illustrations are great - I especially liked the last spread.
Kids voted to give this 5 stars.
Jessica Brown
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations pulled me in and the heartwarming story of friendship between an old man and the inflatable bear on the rooftop of the factory he works in kept me reading. So sweet, but I'm not sure kids would love it as much as grown ups.
Monica Clark-Robinson
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a gentle, moving story. Parents will love it and kids will love it--it's like a Pixar movie that way--it has an adult appeal and a child appeal. Sweet characters and gorgeous illustrations. Two thumbs way up!
Paul
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite children's book of 2018!
Erica
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-book-i-like
Touching; beautifully written
Jeanette Bradley
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poignant friendship story, with a lovely twist.
Kristi
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful and touching story and whimsical illustrations packed with spectacular details. The few wordless pages were brilliantly done. Loved everything about this book! One of my new favorites!
mary dewley
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Delightful story of friendship between an older gentleman who is about to retire and the balloon bear he has kindly taken care of for years.
Chrisanne
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Awwwww It's even more cute if you read the little bio of the author.
Karen
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2018-list
LOVE!
Tara Luebbe
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story about friendship with lovely illustrations.
Elisabeth
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
For fans of Erin and Philip Stead and Julie Morstad. Fabulous debut!
Katie Bouton
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story about finding a friend that will follow you anywhere. It is also a peaceful book about human kindness.
Kerri Kokias
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lyrically-written, sweet, and sentimental story about friendship and quiet loyalty.
Sara
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story.
JB
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Iver and Ellsworth communicate kindness, warmth, and loyalty through well chosen words and beautiful and varied settings every child and reader will recognize, appreciate, and enjoy.
Nina
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Iver and Ellsworth have an unlikely friendship that stands the test of time. An uplifting story about the enduring power of companionship.
Kelly
This is the story of Iver and the blow-up, rooftop bear he cares for. It's an okay story with nice illustrations.
Ana Gutierrez
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was beautifully done with an almost bitter sweet story but I think the ending is wonderful.