Start by marking “The Love of Her Life” as Want to Read:
The Love of Her Life

The Love of Her Life

From bestselling author Harriet Evans, acclaimed worldwide for storytelling that is "fabulous" (Sophie Kinsella) and "brilliantly observed and emotionally charged" (Daily Mirror, London) comes a dazzling new novel of heartbreak, loss, and healing, in which a young woman must cross an ocean and the chasm in her own heart to discover the love of her life.

In London, Kat

Published July 1st 2008 by HarperTorch (first published 2008)

I Heart New York by Lindsey KelkI Heart Paris by Lindsey KelkI Heart London by Lindsey KelkI Heart Vegas by Lindsey KelkI Heart Hollywood by Lindsey Kelk
Cover Wars
70 books — 59 voters
Something Borrowed by Emily GiffinConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaSomething Blue by Emily Giffin
Chick lit
373 books — 465 voters

More lists with this book...

carrietracy
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm a little startled at all the love for this. I didn't think this was as bad as most books I rate a two, but it had 2 huge detractors for me.

1. I was really irritated at how long it took for us to get to the big reveal of the terrible event that Kate lived through. Also, I felt the terrible event was a bit over the top.

2. The ending was crap. Rather than write the ending, Evans fast forwards a few months and fills us in on what's going on then. While it certainly got her out of some tricky bi
Kendra
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it
While this isn’t my favorite Harriet Evans book, it’s still a good read. Really, I seem to enjoy everything she’s written, and A Hopeless Romantic is one of my favorites (it’s not really for bimbos – shhh! don’t tell the review below!).

Yes, as other reviewers have said, it could have been more concise, and I sometimes found myself thinking, “Hurry up and get on with it!” And I honestly would have liked to have seen more of the interaction between Kate and Mac.

But that plot twist! Wow! I thought
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Love of Her Life by Harriet Evans was another novel I loved by this author. Kate Miller has run away from her life to New York to live with her mother and stepfather. Three years after a broken engagement and the loss of her job, Kate returns to her home in England when her father falls ill. She must face what she left behind and the events that drove her away.

The novel switches between the past and present, and with each flashback, we get closer to finding out the reason for Kate's hasty de
Eirene Ritznore
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Eirene by: eirene@eirenee.com
Shae
Apr 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, although I wanted to, I didn't like this book.

1. I couldn't connect with any of the characters. The only two I liked were Oscar and Mr Allan.
2. The dialogue was frustrating, repetitious and unrealistic.
3. The narrative was way too long - entire pages with no action or dialogue and only two or three paragraph breaks but nothing especially interesting to move the story on; focus on conversations and scenes that were redundant and could have been replaced with so much more (i.e. wh
Amani Maher
Nov 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Agonizingly slow and painfully DULL and till now I really don't know how I got the patience to finish that!
Lesemaus
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Covergestaltung: okay 😐
Thematik: gut 😊
Schreibstil: gut 😊

Bei den Buch fiel mir die Bewertung nicht schwer, hing zwar lange dran, war aber nicht den Buch geschuldet.

Es ist locker leicht luftig geschrieben, eine ideale Liebesgeschichte. Also Fans dieser Richtung, macht euch ran, absolut empfehlenswert!

Die Charaktere sind alle toll beschrieben und man füllt sich direkt in die Geschichte rein versetzt. Man fühlt jede einzelne Storyline mit und hegt Groll gegen bestimmte Personen (die es verdienen)
Abby♡Books
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Her storyline and character and plot line isn't for me. I won't read any her books anymore . I try two of her books and was bored with both..
Lauren
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Love of Her Life started out a bit slow, as Kate Miller, the heroine seems dull. As one character later describes her, Kate is a 30 year old who likes doilies and old people's pastimes. Kate is a London native, living in New York with her parents Venetia and Oscar. She has a dead end job (as do many chick lit heroines) at a mediocre publicists office, sings show tunes with her parents and their elderly neighbors for fun, doesn't really date, and is overall a bit drab. Kate finds out that her ...more
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: light-reading
This was predictable, silly and occasionally really annoying. Girl meets guy, they have a one-night fling and a week later she hooks up with her flat-mate and friend from university. Although she really is obviously less than head over heels, they end up engaged. A couple months before the wedding, she realizes he's having an affair with one of her best friends. Drama ensues. Guess what? The guy from the fling at the beginning turns up again and there is lots of mis-communication, but they end u ...more
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this four stars because I couldn't put it down. Not because it's the best book ever written or the characters are something amazing, but because it was the perfect book for me at the time. I needed something I could just divulge into and four days later it was done. Amy mentioned there were some good twists and there really were, though I wanted to kill Kate sometimes. I loved this book being set in London and enjoyed the characters and finally finding out exactly what happened. I wil ...more
Anne Brooke
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
The review on the front of this novel says it's "blissfully entertaining". Actually, no, it isn't. Kate is a self-obsessed ditherer and the hero, Mac, is an emotional abuser as far as I could see. I didn't much care for either of them.
Son Dos
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book
Yasmine Azeez
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
boring at first then things change and it turns to be a very interesting novel , enjoyed reading
Melinda Elizabeth
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found "The Love of Her Life" to be a little bit grim, dark and depressing. I really couldn't get behind Kate and her choices. She's not ballsy enough to own up to what she should and could do, and thus walks around moping for most of the novel, but really doesn't give you a sense of why we should feel sorry for her.

Overall I found this narrative to be far too long and not at all interesting enough to warrant it's length.

The "terrible experience" was indeed terrible, but a little bit more in t
Leah Hess
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The start to this novel was super slow and confusing. The reader finds out Kate, the main character, ran away from London to New York for some reason, but we really aren't sure why. We're following Kate around her first few days back in London, as her father has fallen ill. We don't understand her background or why she is as uncomfortable being in London as she is.

Finally, we get some insight. And that's when the novel really picks up. I found it so hard to put down, even to eat! On the front co
momruncraft
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
I had high hopes for this book having really enjoyed Love Always by Harriet Evans. With the promise on the back, "You will cry guaranteed" and the glittery bling on the cover it seemed destined to be read and loved. Not so much.

In all honesty, it was hard to empathize with Kate Miller having just read about two profoundly strong and courageous female protagonists. Kate flees her life in London after a painful experience and heads to New York. Her reasons for leaving revealed, while tragic and in
Betty
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This story was a slow go at the beginning and seemed to be too tangled in creating a mysterious backdrop than diving into the heart of the story. And it's true, as the romantic hero states, our heroine seems too confused much of the time rather than exhibiting the "brilliant journalistic mind" she supposedly possesses.
Nicole Campbell
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Harriet Evans that I have read and I really enjoyed it. Her writing style is very easy to read and she had enough twists and turns to keep you guessing and wanting more. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a great love story. I can't wait to read more of Harriet's books.
Anita Johnson
Sep 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book although it went on and on with endless description and dialog which was a bit depressing. Then, the writer jumped into the conclusion, which was predictable, but without much detail at all.
Anita
Jun 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
An "on the surface" great life that falls apart suddenly and tragically, but opens the door to the life that was meant to be for this shy and genuine character, Kate. I had a hard time putting this book down in order to get anything productive done in my own life!
Steph
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not into cliched romance and airy fairy storylines and luckily this was neither.
Full of great characters that I could like and hate and empathise with,I cared about them.
This had some romance but also drama, heartbreak, tragedy, passion, humour and a bit of star crossed lovers to keep me reading on and on into the night unable to put down.

As the story came to its conclusion I thought it could end anyway and I wouldn't have been happy but thankfully it ended just the right way.
Plum-crazy
After three years in New York Kate is back in London & bit by bit the story reveals the heartbreak that led to Kate fleeing London.

On the whole the story was enough to keep me entertained but by the end I was getting a bit tired of the will-they-won't-they scenarios & just wished they'd all get their acts together! Overall, I'd say it was good maybe a touch predictable....having said that there was one tragic event I didn't see coming.
Jade
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A nice but slightly frustrating rom com as we follow Kate, who after a tragedy 3 years ago, legs it from everyone and hides out with her mother in New York. Kate’s feelings and decisions in this book go back and forth more than I could keep track of, to the point that I was a little ‘not bothered’ when t did finally end. However what I did appreciate is that, unlike a lot of similar books, I couldn’t guess some of the plot lines until at least half way through the book.
Ana
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The love of her life is a narrative on the ups and downs of the life of Kate. I cried and was stomping mad when I read this. Ouch ouch ouch! But let me tell you that the resolution is absolutely satisfying hence I'm giving it 5 stars.

Read in 2016
Joanne Nock
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A little bit disappointed by this, having read this author's work before. Took a long time to get going, I didn't like the main character and it jumped around so much I sometimes struggled to work out whether I was "pre" or "post" the main event.
Syarifah
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I expected a better ending. But glad that Kate found the love of her life & achieved her dream.
Tracy
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: rereads
A bit over the top
Elizabeth Luke
Okay for what it is

Good plane / vacation read. Nothing too deep but also entertaining enough. I will admit some of the characters were able to pull at my heartstrings.
Diane Houdeshell
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This story had potential, but it just seemed to drag on and on.
  • Getting Away with It
  • The Truth About Melody Browne
  • Holly's Inbox (Holly's Inbox #1)
  • A Spring Affair
  • Heaven Can Wait
  • Divas Las Vegas
  • Fairytale of New York
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • The Learning Curve
  • The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine #1)
  • Young Wives' Tales
  • The Ten Best Days of My Life
  • Swept off Her Feet
  • Please Forgive Me
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • (Un)like a Virgin
  • Chasing Daisy
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/harrietevansb...

I was born in London in 1974 and grew up on the mean streets of Chiswick, where I went to school. I was a completely undistinguished pupil in every way, except I absolutely loved reading and drama. My only achievements from the age of 5 to 18 were, a) winning a doodling competition at primary school (of a witch flying in the sky with balloons