Start by marking “The Love of Her Life” as Want to Read:
The Love of Her Life

The Love of Her Life

From bestselling author Harriet Evans, acclaimed worldwide for storytelling that is "fabulous" (Sophie Kinsella) and "brilliantly observed and emotionally charged" (Daily Mirror, London) comes a dazzling new novel of heartbreak, loss, and healing, in which a young woman must cross an ocean — and the chasm in her own heart — to discover the love of her life.

In L

Published July 1st 2008 by HarperTorch (first published 2008)

I Heart New York by Lindsey KelkI Heart Paris by Lindsey KelkI Heart London by Lindsey KelkI Heart Vegas by Lindsey KelkI Heart Hollywood by Lindsey Kelk
Cover Wars
72 books — 60 voters
Something Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaSomething Blue by Emily Giffin
Chick lit
394 books — 476 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Love of Her Life
carrietracy
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm a little startled at all the love for this. I didn't think this was as bad as most books I rate a two, but it had 2 huge detractors for me.

1. I was really irritated at how long it took for us to get to the big reveal of the terrible event that Kate lived through. Also, I felt the terrible event was a bit over the top.

2. The ending was crap. Rather than write the ending, Evans fast forwards a few months and fills us in on what's going on then. While it certainly got her out of some tricky bi
Kendra
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it
While this isn’t my favorite Harriet Evans book, it’s still a good read. Really, I seem to enjoy everything she’s written, and A Hopeless Romantic is one of my favorites (it’s not really for bimbos – shhh! don’t tell the review below!).

Yes, as other reviewers have said, it could have been more concise, and I sometimes found myself thinking, “Hurry up and get on with it!” And I honestly would have liked to have seen more of the interaction between Kate and Mac.

But that plot twist! Wow! I thought
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Love of Her Life by Harriet Evans was another novel I loved by this author. Kate Miller has run away from her life to New York to live with her mother and stepfather. Three years after a broken engagement and the loss of her job, Kate returns to her home in England when her father falls ill. She must face what she left behind and the events that drove her away.

The novel switches between the past and present, and with each flashback, we get closer to finding out the reason for Kate's hasty de
Amani Maher
Nov 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Agonizingly slow and painfully DULL and till now I really don't know how I got the patience to finish that!
Eirene Ritznore
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Eirene by: eirene@eirenee.com
♡AbbyBooks♡
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Her storyline and character and plot line isn't for me. I won't read any her books anymore . I try two of her books and was bored with both..
Lesley Book Lover
An ok read, but I didn’t like that it kept going back to the past then present, and just generally jumping around as if parts were missing.
Lauren
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Love of Her Life started out a bit slow, as Kate Miller, the heroine seems dull. As one character later describes her, Kate is a 30 year old who likes doilies and old people's pastimes. Kate is a London native, living in New York with her parents Venetia and Oscar. She has a dead end job (as do many chick lit heroines) at a mediocre publicists office, sings show tunes with her parents and their elderly neighbors for fun, doesn't really date, and is overall a bit drab. Kate finds out that her ...more
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this four stars because I couldn't put it down. Not because it's the best book ever written or the characters are something amazing, but because it was the perfect book for me at the time. I needed something I could just divulge into and four days later it was done. Amy mentioned there were some good twists and there really were, though I wanted to kill Kate sometimes. I loved this book being set in London and enjoyed the characters and finally finding out exactly what happened. I wil ...more
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: light-reading
This was predictable, silly and occasionally really annoying. Girl meets guy, they have a one-night fling and a week later she hooks up with her flat-mate and friend from university. Although she really is obviously less than head over heels, they end up engaged. A couple months before the wedding, she realizes he's having an affair with one of her best friends. Drama ensues. Guess what? The guy from the fling at the beginning turns up again and there is lots of mis-communication, but they end u ...more
Anne Brooke
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
The review on the front of this novel says it's "blissfully entertaining". Actually, no, it isn't. Kate is a self-obsessed ditherer and the hero, Mac, is an emotional abuser as far as I could see. I didn't much care for either of them.
Yasmine Azeez
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
boring at first then things change and it turns to be a very interesting novel , enjoyed reading
Helena Wildsmith
Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I did enjoy reading this and the "big reveal" was incredibly heart breaking but a lot of this book just felt like filler. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing and just not really a lot happened. A nice, easy book to read on holiday by the pool but don't expect too much.
Jane Long
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start, but I soon got into it. This is the third book I've read by Harriet Evans, and I have enjoyed all three. Good characters. Some you liked, others you hated! A funny and charming read.
LISA MARKHAM
I was given this book in a bundle of chic lit books. Not my top genre these days but I always say if it’s a good story it could keep anyone reading it. I’m afraid I didn’t feel it with this book though. Was a slow burner for me, too much backwards and forwards between the UK and the US with not much story in the middle. First half was better than the second of the book and expected more at the end.
Melinda Elizabeth
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found "The Love of Her Life" to be a little bit grim, dark and depressing. I really couldn't get behind Kate and her choices. She's not ballsy enough to own up to what she should and could do, and thus walks around moping for most of the novel, but really doesn't give you a sense of why we should feel sorry for her.

Overall I found this narrative to be far too long and not at all interesting enough to warrant it's length.

The "terrible experience" was indeed terrible, but a little bit more in t
Leah Hess
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The start to this novel was super slow and confusing. The reader finds out Kate, the main character, ran away from London to New York for some reason, but we really aren't sure why. We're following Kate around her first few days back in London, as her father has fallen ill. We don't understand her background or why she is as uncomfortable being in London as she is.

Finally, we get some insight. And that's when the novel really picks up. I found it so hard to put down, even to eat! On the front co
momruncraft
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
I had high hopes for this book having really enjoyed Love Always by Harriet Evans. With the promise on the back, "You will cry guaranteed" and the glittery bling on the cover it seemed destined to be read and loved. Not so much.

In all honesty, it was hard to empathize with Kate Miller having just read about two profoundly strong and courageous female protagonists. Kate flees her life in London after a painful experience and heads to New York. Her reasons for leaving revealed, while tragic and in
Nicole Campbell
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Harriet Evans that I have read and I really enjoyed it. Her writing style is very easy to read and she had enough twists and turns to keep you guessing and wanting more. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a great love story. I can't wait to read more of Harriet's books.
Betty
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This story was a slow go at the beginning and seemed to be too tangled in creating a mysterious backdrop than diving into the heart of the story. And it's true, as the romantic hero states, our heroine seems too confused much of the time rather than exhibiting the "brilliant journalistic mind" she supposedly possesses.
Anita
Jun 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
An "on the surface" great life that falls apart suddenly and tragically, but opens the door to the life that was meant to be for this shy and genuine character, Kate. I had a hard time putting this book down in order to get anything productive done in my own life!
Anita Johnson
Sep 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book although it went on and on with endless description and dialog which was a bit depressing. Then, the writer jumped into the conclusion, which was predictable, but without much detail at all.
Steph
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not into cliched romance and airy fairy storylines and luckily this was neither.
Full of great characters that I could like and hate and empathise with,I cared about them.
This had some romance but also drama, heartbreak, tragedy, passion, humour and a bit of star crossed lovers to keep me reading on and on into the night unable to put down.

As the story came to its conclusion I thought it could end anyway and I wouldn't have been happy but thankfully it ended just the right way.
Plum-crazy
After three years in New York Kate is back in London & bit by bit the story reveals the heartbreak that led to Kate fleeing London.

On the whole the story was enough to keep me entertained but by the end I was getting a bit tired of the will-they-won't-they scenarios & just wished they'd all get their acts together! Overall, I'd say it was good maybe a touch predictable....having said that there was one tragic event I didn't see coming.
Jade
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A nice but slightly frustrating rom com as we follow Kate, who after a tragedy 3 years ago, legs it from everyone and hides out with her mother in New York. Kate’s feelings and decisions in this book go back and forth more than I could keep track of, to the point that I was a little ‘not bothered’ when t did finally end. However what I did appreciate is that, unlike a lot of similar books, I couldn’t guess some of the plot lines until at least half way through the book.
Lizzie Youngson
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carol Pucak
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ana
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The love of her life is a narrative on the ups and downs of the life of Kate. I cried and was stomping mad when I read this. Ouch ouch ouch! But let me tell you that the resolution is absolutely satisfying hence I'm giving it 5 stars.

Read in 2016
Loretta Aponso
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Its a good book slow in some parts awkward it other's heartbreaking moments will have you in tears an some parts will have you out right exhausted. However to the end it is a lovely nook worth the read.
Chantal
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Harriett Evans knows how to play my emotions like a fiddle. I had to decompress after this one. It's a beautiful, emotional roller coaster. The Love of Her Life is a powerful story about love & loss, grief and facing your demons. And it's so, so well done. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Chasing Daisy
  • The Nearly-Weds
  • The Nanny
  • Be Careful What You Wish For
  • Playing James
  • Thinking Of You
  • Asking for Trouble
  • Holly's Inbox (Holly's Inbox #1)
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Little White Lies
  • The Little Lady Agency (The Little Lady Agency, #1)
  • A Girl Like You
  • The Thing About Jane Spring
  • It Started with a Secret
  • Pictures of Lily
  • With or Without You
  • Honeymoon For One
  • Baby Be Mine (Johnny Be Good, #2)
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/harrietevansb...

I was born in London in 1974 and grew up on the mean streets of Chiswick, where I went to school. I was a completely undistinguished pupil in every way, except I absolutely loved reading and drama. My only achievements from the age of 5 to 18 were, a) winning a doodling competition at primary school (of a witch flying in the sky with balloons

News & Interviews