Start by marking “Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones, #2)

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

(Bridget Jones #2)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  90,702 ratings  ·  2,410 reviews
Lurching from the cappuccino bars of Notting Hill to the blissed-out shores of Thailand, Bridget Jones searches for The Truth in spite of pathetically unevolved men, insane dating theories, and Smug Married advice ("'I'm just calling to say in the potty! In the potty! Well, do it in Daddy's hand, then!'"). She experiences a zeitgeist-esque Spiritual Epiphany somewhere betw ...more
Paperback, Reprint Edition, 352 pages
Published February 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published November 18th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bridget Jones, please sign up.
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  90,702 ratings  ·  2,410 reviews

Jennie
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Weight: 867 lbs (due to entire Chipotle burrito still sitting in belly), cigarettes 0 (as don’t smoke), alcohol units 1 (responsible glass of red wine, for heart), calories 1557 (if Chipotle nutrition calculator can be trusted)

Have just finished reading Bridget Jones’s Diary: The Edge of Reason, aka BJD 2: THE DARCY STRIKES BACK. Still working out feelings re: sequel, as original was pure perfection, part of identity, Pride & Prejudice-related (so obviously superior to almost all other works
Aishu Rehman
Funnier and more accomplished than the original diary, and in fact takes recognition humor into a new dimension. Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason is a glorious read, and there is a laugh on every page.
Suzanne
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chicklit
The Colin Firth interview is hilarious! You just want to scream at Bridget to shut up and stop putting her foot in every time she opens her mouth! Just as wonderful as the first book!
Lisa
Jun 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, shite, 2008
This book should be retitled as Bridget Jones: The Unnecessary Sequel. Bridget returns as the hapless and can't-get-it-together heroine with plenty of love, work and weight troubles. The first book has a happy ending and I thought that was the end of it. Since it's so successful, of course the author cannot resist conjuring contrived plot lines for Bridget's second adventure.

Bridget came across as charming and endearing in the first book but here she becomes annoying and irritating. I (or the r
Alaina
I don't really know why I still had this book on my TBR because I didn't really like the first book.. but oh well, I dove right into this one anyways.

Okay, so in Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason Bridget starts to suspect that her boyfriend Mark is starting to develop feelings for one of his coworkers, Rebecca. Of course this was a huge misunderstanding on her part because he doesn’t have any feelings for her at all. However, it is Bridget and it wouldn’t be a book if she found out that she was wron
AMEERA
Sep 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
I hate say this but I hate this book , can be much better if Helen fielding just wrote bridge Jones's diary and stop
Chevalier
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sunday 26 January

6 pm. My Bed. Writing critic on Goodreads Hurrah! Just finished quite good book. Will call friends and discuss about it. Now everyone can see how smart I am! Will write fantastic critic, one that will make everyone follow me, adore me, etc. Will be invited to review more books and will write for famous newspaper (Guardian or Times).
Yes, will write not only funny review but insightful.
Should have a little wine for to start creativity flowing.

6.01 Will go to shop and buy Silk Cu
Elizabeth
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I desperately love Bridget, I really do, but the story just wasn't as funny the second time around.

I never thought I would tire of British humour, but - while The Edge of Reason is still VERY FUNNY - the plot line relies a lot on miscommunication stemming from the characters bumbling about and being unable to speak candidly about a situation or say what they really mean. Gets a bit old.

I don't think I'll carry on with the series. The original Bridget Jones Diary is absolute comedic and chick-li
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
What a fucking terrible book. My god.
Jessica
Aug 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: saw-the-movie
Not quite as good as the original, nonetheless, spending more time with Bridget and her friends as they count alcohol units and worry about what underpants to wear on a date is a pleasant diversion.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones #2), Helen Fielding
Manybooks
Although Bridget Jones is still a fun and delightfully unpredictable character in this second instalment of Helen Fielding's series, there is simply too much presented, featured exaggeration and resulting disbelief for me to be able to totally and utterly (without reservations) enjoy The Edge of Reason. For while with the first book, with Bridget Jones's Diary, although Bridget often was indeed outrageous and even at times (and perhaps even rather regularly) inappropriate, she was still and usua ...more
Stephanie
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
After finishing Bridget Jones's Diary for the second time, I turned my attention to Bridge Jones: The Edge of Reason, by Helen Fielding, which I'd never read before. I have to say that with both books, there were definitely laugh-out-loud moments, although there were more with Edge of Reason than Diary.

I'm embarrassed to admit it took me at least to the middle of the book to realize that this book was a take-off of Persuasion. And once again, I admire Ms. Fielding's facility in translating a cla
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
La Fielding se saca de la manga una trama liosa y con muchos altibajos, perdiendo mucha de la gracia y frescura del pirmer libro. Mark Darcy y la madre de Bridget son lo mejor (por favor, la madre es ahostiablemente graciosa). A Bridget a veces la matabas, a veces le dabas un achuchón. Al menos te entretiene y, si lo comparas con la peli, es una maravilla (la peli es es-pan-to-sa -> salvo Colin Firth #AyOmá)
Amanda NEVER MANDY
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This shall be short and sweet since it just continues on from the first. One of the issues I mentioned previously (love triangle) evaporated. The other issue (far-fetched plot) is still present so I knocked a star off for it. I have the next one in the series waiting on my nightstand so I am hoping this last little issue disappears.

STILL LOVE ME SOME MARK DARCY!
Marina
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This story turned into love novel, but it's still great chick lit, great comedy and great story. Bridget is struggling with her relationship with Mark, had serious problems and struggling with her job. The end was satisfying and I was laughing out load during the feast.
Joy
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
This was not as good as the first one...
Devon Hernandez
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fits of uncontrollable laughter. That would describe me reading this book. What a great followup to the first one! For those of you who have only seen the movie and not read the book, warning: the movie script cuts quite a bit out, and changes quite a bit. For instance, the whole lesbian thing in the movie? Never happened. The "other woman" who Bridget thought was after Mark really was after Mark in the book. Daniel Cleaver barely makes an appearance, just a brief few times, literally only 3 bri ...more
Charlotte May
3.5 stars! I think I am either becoming more accustomed to the writing style or this one was just so much better than the first!
I was actually interested in the characters and there was a definite storyline in this one, with more action and events to keep me hooked. What with Bridget's drug scandal in Thailand, the ongoing on-off relationship with Mark Darcy and the brief appearances of Daniel (though I can't help but imagine them as Colin Firth and Hugh Grant in my head)
Still not a massive love
Anastasia Owlbooksreviews
Перша частина мені була смішнішою. У цій хоч і були смішні моменти, але я більше задумувалася над тим, як же можна бути такою наївною, чи як можна напитися, щось зробити, а потім геть нічого не пам‘ятати...Якось це... хммм, навіть не знаю. Коротше, щось мені не дає поставити більшу оцінку. Але мені сподобалося зокрема про Singletondom, if you know what I mean 😊 Я теж такої думки.
María P.
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
*Atención SPOILER si no te has leído el primer libro*

Bridget Jones: Sobreviviré, es la segunda parte de la trilogía de Bridget Jones escrita por Helen Fielding. Todo parece irle bien a la protagonista. Está con el hombre al que ama, Mark Darcy, y su vida parece ir sobre ruedas. Sumergida en manuales de auto-ayuda, iremos descubriendo junto a ella su vida y sus andanzas. Para los fans de la película, lo cierto es que el libro no tiene absolutamente nada que ver con esta. En la cinta, se presenta
Anne
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Edge of Reason a bit more than the original. I think it had a little more depth (and I use that term veeery loosely) than the first Bridget Jones book. She grows a tiny bit as a character, and finally seems to come to terms with what it means to be an adult in love. Again, she grows a tiny bit...we're not talking about any huge spiritual epiphany here. This is, after all, Bridget Jones we're talking about.
As a big fan of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, I also found myself smil
Poonam
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour, romance
Fun read.
Miglė Keliotytė
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a wonderful book. Found myself again laughing from Bridget so hard I couldn't breathe. This book really lightened up my days when I needed. So sad I finished it so fast.
Nov 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2002, chicklit, fun, fiction
Not as good as the first but still worthy of attention.
Evelina
Rolig och underhållande och väldigt härligt att få återse Bridget Jones! Länk till recensionen: https://ewelinasbokblogg.blogspot.se/...
Vismantė
„{...} meilė žmogaus neištinka, meilę žmogus turi pats užsitarnauti“.

Iš tikro, labai sunku vertinti serijos dalis. Jeigu vertinčiau dalį kaip atskirą knygą, nepriklausomą nuo kitų istorijų, tai tikriausiai vertinimas nelabai skirtųsi nuo pirmosios dalies žvaigždučių skaičiaus (tyliai nuėjau į savo įvertinimų istoriją ir pažiūrėjau, kad tų žvaigždučių buvo viso labo dvi...). Vis dėlto, jeigu lyginčiau dalis tarpusavyje, kaip tai padariau šiuo atveju, tai su tokia ironijos šypsenėle pridėjau vien
Kathrin
This is certainly an entertaining read that comes with a few cringe-worthy downsides. I got the book from my local library which is why I probably don't mind some of its flaws and will continue to read the series.

I love the fact that Colin Firth stars in the movies while Bridget swoons over him in the books. The character of Bridget seems to be the strength as well as the weakness of the novel. While I like her attitude sometimes and she is an easy-to-relate-to character (hello procrastination)
Di'ana
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bridžita, Bridžita... Nuotaikingas, kartais veikiantis depresuojančiai o kartais neįtikėtinas jos gyvenimas. Pripažinkime, juk kiekviena savyje turime savo Bridžę, kuri prisižada visko, prisigalvoja, netaip interpretuoja, laikosi dietų bei jaudinasi dėl svorio, būnam feministės, bet norime ir tobulų vyrų. Koncentruotas gyvenimo marazmas ir laiminga pabaiga :D
Ciarán West
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Helen Fielding is basically the world's greatest feminist. In her first Bridget Jones book, she taught us that no woman is complete unless she has the love of a foppish, sub-Hugh Grant, barely heterosexual posh man to complete her. To add to the confusion, Bridget is in love with the actor Colin Firth, who they end up casting in the film as her actual love interest, Mark Darcy. If that wasn't confusing enough, they throw in Hugh actual Grant as the Bad Boy Whom All Women Are Attracted To In Spit ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Description 2 20 Apr 20, 2016 09:07AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Farm Fatale: A Comedy of Country Manors
  • The Exploits & Adventures of Miss Alethea Darcy (Darcy #2)
  • Persuading Annie
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Welcome to My Planet: Where English Is Sometimes Spoken
  • Glückskekse
  • Bare Necessity
  • Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2)
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Unpredictable
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • Bidding for Love
Helen Fielding was born in Yorkshire. She worked for many years in London as a newspaper and TV journalist, travelling as wildly and as often as possibly to Africa, India and Central America. She is the author of four novels: Cause Celeb, Bridget Jones’ s Diary, Bridget Jones:The Edge of Reason and Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination, and co-wrote the screenplays for the movie of Bridget ...more

Bridget Jones (4 books)
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)
  • Bridget Jones's Baby: The Diaries (Bridget Jones, #4)
“Keep thinking back about what Mum said about being real and the Velveteen Rabbit book (though frankly have had enough trouble with rabbits in this particular house). My favorite book, she claims of which I have no memory was about how little kids get one toy that they love more than all the others, and even when its fur has been rubbed off, and it's gone saggy with bits missing, the little child still thinks it's the most beautiful toy in the world, and can't bear to be parted from it.

That's how it works, when people really love each other, Mum whispered on the way out in the Debenhams lift, as if she was confessing some hideous and embarrassing secret. But, the thing is, darling, it doesn't happen to ones who have sharp edges, or break if they get dropped, or ones made of silly synthetic stuff that doesn't last. You have to be brave and let the other person know who you are and what you feel.”
104 likes
“9p.m. My flat. Feel very strange and empty. Is all very well thinking everything is going to be different when you come back but then it is all the same. Suppose I have to make it different. But what am I going to do with my life?
I know. Will eat some cheese.”
77 likes