Start by marking “Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones, #2)

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

(Bridget Jones #2)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  92,135 ratings  ·  2,438 reviews
Lurching from the cappuccino bars of Notting Hill to the blissed-out shores of Thailand, Bridget Jones searches for The Truth in spite of pathetically unevolved men, insane dating theories, and Smug Married advice ("'I'm just calling to say in the potty! In the potty! Well, do it in Daddy's hand, then!'"). She experiences a zeitgeist-esque Spiritual Epiphany somewhere betw ...more
Paperback, Reprint Edition, 352 pages
Published February 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published November 18th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bridget Jones, please sign up.
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  92,135 ratings  ·  2,438 reviews

Aishu Rehman
Funnier and more accomplished than the original diary, and in fact takes recognition humor into a new dimension. Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason is a glorious read, and there is a laugh on every page.
Jennie
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Weight: 867 lbs (due to entire Chipotle burrito still sitting in belly), cigarettes 0 (as don’t smoke), alcohol units 1 (responsible glass of red wine, for heart), calories 1557 (if Chipotle nutrition calculator can be trusted)

Have just finished reading Bridget Jones’s Diary: The Edge of Reason, aka BJD 2: THE DARCY STRIKES BACK. Still working out feelings re: sequel, as original was pure perfection, part of identity, Pride & Prejudice-related (so obviously superior to almost all other works
Suzanne
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chicklit
The Colin Firth interview is hilarious! You just want to scream at Bridget to shut up and stop putting her foot in every time she opens her mouth! Just as wonderful as the first book!
Ahmad Sharabiani
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones #2), Helen Fielding
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a 1999 novel by Helen Fielding, a sequel to her popular Bridget Jones's Diary. It chronicles Bridget Jones's adventures after she begins to suspect that her boyfriend, Mark Darcy, is falling for a rich young solicitor who works in the same firm as him, a woman called Rebecca. The comic novel follows the characteristic ups and downs of the self-proclaimed singleton's first real relationship in
Lisa
Jun 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, shite, 2008
This book should be retitled as Bridget Jones: The Unnecessary Sequel. Bridget returns as the hapless and can't-get-it-together heroine with plenty of love, work and weight troubles. The first book has a happy ending and I thought that was the end of it. Since it's so successful, of course the author cannot resist conjuring contrived plot lines for Bridget's second adventure.

Bridget came across as charming and endearing in the first book but here she becomes annoying and irritating. I (or the r
AMEERA
Sep 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
I hate say this but I hate this book , can be much better if Helen fielding just wrote bridge Jones's diary and stop
Alaina
I don't really know why I still had this book on my TBR because I didn't really like the first book.. but oh well, I dove right into this one anyways.

Okay, so in Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason Bridget starts to suspect that her boyfriend Mark is starting to develop feelings for one of his coworkers, Rebecca. Of course this was a huge misunderstanding on her part because he doesn’t have any feelings for her at all. However, it is Bridget and it wouldn’t be a book if she found out that she was wron
Chevalier
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sunday 26 January

6 pm. My Bed. Writing critic on Goodreads Hurrah! Just finished quite good book. Will call friends and discuss about it. Now everyone can see how smart I am! Will write fantastic critic, one that will make everyone follow me, adore me, etc. Will be invited to review more books and will write for famous newspaper (Guardian or Times).
Yes, will write not only funny review but insightful.
Should have a little wine for to start creativity flowing.

6.01 Will go to shop and buy Silk Cu
Elizabeth
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I desperately love Bridget, I really do, but the story just wasn't as funny the second time around.

I never thought I would tire of British humour, but - while The Edge of Reason is still VERY FUNNY - the plot line relies a lot on miscommunication stemming from the characters bumbling about and being unable to speak candidly about a situation or say what they really mean. Gets a bit old.

I don't think I'll carry on with the series. The original Bridget Jones Diary is absolute comedic and chick-li
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
What a fucking terrible book. My god.
Jessica
Aug 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: saw-the-movie
Not quite as good as the original, nonetheless, spending more time with Bridget and her friends as they count alcohol units and worry about what underpants to wear on a date is a pleasant diversion.
Manybooks
Although Bridget Jones is still a fun and delightfully unpredictable character in this second instalment of Helen Fielding's series, there is simply too much presented, featured exaggeration and resulting disbelief for me to be able to totally and utterly (without reservations) enjoy The Edge of Reason. For while with the first book, with Bridget Jones's Diary, although Bridget often was indeed outrageous and even at times (and perhaps even rather regularly) inappropriate, she was still and usua ...more
Stephanie
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
After finishing Bridget Jones's Diary for the second time, I turned my attention to Bridge Jones: The Edge of Reason, by Helen Fielding, which I'd never read before. I have to say that with both books, there were definitely laugh-out-loud moments, although there were more with Edge of Reason than Diary.

I'm embarrassed to admit it took me at least to the middle of the book to realize that this book was a take-off of Persuasion. And once again, I admire Ms. Fielding's facility in translating a cla
Amanda NEVER MANDY
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This shall be short and sweet since it just continues on from the first. One of the issues I mentioned previously (love triangle) evaporated. The other issue (far-fetched plot) is still present so I knocked a star off for it. I have the next one in the series waiting on my nightstand so I am hoping this last little issue disappears.

STILL LOVE ME SOME MARK DARCY!
Marina
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This story turned into love novel, but it's still great chick lit, great comedy and great story. Bridget is struggling with her relationship with Mark, had serious problems and struggling with her job. The end was satisfying and I was laughing out load during the feast.
Charlotte May
3.5 stars! I think I am either becoming more accustomed to the writing style or this one was just so much better than the first!
I was actually interested in the characters and there was a definite storyline in this one, with more action and events to keep me hooked. What with Bridget's drug scandal in Thailand, the ongoing on-off relationship with Mark Darcy and the brief appearances of Daniel (though I can't help but imagine them as Colin Firth and Hugh Grant in my head)
Still not a massive love
Joy
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
This was not as good as the first one...
Devon Hernandez
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fits of uncontrollable laughter. That would describe me reading this book. What a great followup to the first one! For those of you who have only seen the movie and not read the book, warning: the movie script cuts quite a bit out, and changes quite a bit. For instance, the whole lesbian thing in the movie? Never happened. The "other woman" who Bridget thought was after Mark really was after Mark in the book. Daniel Cleaver barely makes an appearance, just a brief few times, literally only 3 bri ...more
Anne
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Edge of Reason a bit more than the original. I think it had a little more depth (and I use that term veeery loosely) than the first Bridget Jones book. She grows a tiny bit as a character, and finally seems to come to terms with what it means to be an adult in love. Again, she grows a tiny bit...we're not talking about any huge spiritual epiphany here. This is, after all, Bridget Jones we're talking about.
As a big fan of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, I also found myself smil
Miglė Keliotytė
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a wonderful book. Found myself again laughing from Bridget so hard I couldn't breathe. This book really lightened up my days when I needed. So sad I finished it so fast.
Nov 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit, fun, 2002, fiction
Not as good as the first but still worthy of attention.
Kathrin
This is certainly an entertaining read that comes with a few cringe-worthy downsides. I got the book from my local library which is why I probably don't mind some of its flaws and will continue to read the series.

I love the fact that Colin Firth stars in the movies while Bridget swoons over him in the books. The character of Bridget seems to be the strength as well as the weakness of the novel. While I like her attitude sometimes and she is an easy-to-relate-to character (hello procrastination)
Ciarán West
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Helen Fielding is basically the world's greatest feminist. In her first Bridget Jones book, she taught us that no woman is complete unless she has the love of a foppish, sub-Hugh Grant, barely heterosexual posh man to complete her. To add to the confusion, Bridget is in love with the actor Colin Firth, who they end up casting in the film as her actual love interest, Mark Darcy. If that wasn't confusing enough, they throw in Hugh actual Grant as the Bad Boy Whom All Women Are Attracted To In Spit ...more
JK
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
After my embarrassing self-discovery review of Bridget Jones's Diary, where I admitted to the world that yes, I was Bridget Jones, I launched into the sequel ready for more relatability and laughs. I was disappointed to learn that Fielding had decided to throw Bridget to the wolves of sequels, and deliver to her readers a multitude of setbacks that became less believable as the diary went on.

Jones in her underwear outside and being happened upon by her ex. Jones finding a small Oriental boy and
Erica
As I've mentioned, I'm relistening to the Bridget Jones books because the new one is out and I'll be reading/listening to it soon; I feel I need to brush up on what happened ten billion years ago.

So.
Bridget.
I never liked this story as well as the first one, though time has mellowed my viewpoint a bit. I remember thinking that there is no way that much could happen to one person in the course of one year and not have more of an effect. I mean, hello! She got her boyfriend, she met Colin Firth, sh
Jennefer
Aug 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: incompleted
I didn't like the first book as much as I enjoyed the movie but I wanted to read it anyway cause I love the movie - the characters were much more superficial and I couldn't relate to Bridget as much. The story about her mother was pretty crazy - totally unbelievable - they tamed it down for the movie.

Anyway I thought I would try out the 2nd book thinking maybe the character had grown some but she was still just as bad and annoying and her friends were worse - being married and a mom I was reall
Lwilé
Apr 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was shit!

Bridget was so charming and endearing in the first book. In this (highly unnecessary) sequel Bridget is, quite simply, dumb AF!!! That was my biggest problem with the book. I couldn't get past how much of an Idiot (with a capital I) Bridget is. Especially when you consider that she's in her 30s. Just, gaaah!!

1) What was up with all the self help books? Is it that the book was published when they were all the rage? (Don't have enough fucks to Google). Even if that is the case, why w
K.
6/8/2016
I have an unnatural soft spot for this book. As I said last time, the movie is a trainwreck and the two should not be compared. The similarities to Persuasion are nicely done and that spoilery moment below? Yeah, that still makes me tear up.

18/12/2011
I reread this today for the millionth time. Having finished the first one yesterday, I honestly think I prefer this. Possibly because it's loosely based on Persuasion, which is my all-time favourite Jane Austen book. I absolutely adore the p
Deborah Markus
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not as fresh and quotable as the first Bridget Jones book, but still a lot of fun. More entertaining if you're familiar with Persuasion, since her references (callbacks?) to it are hilarious. Too sleepy to type more. Read this book if you like funny.
Franki White
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Again this all seemed very abrupt and it was a case of all of a sudden everything fell into place and the book ends. despite that I did thoroughly enjoy this sequel and can't wait to read the third. would recommend to any girl, single or otherwise.
Goodreads Librari...: Description 2 20 Apr 20, 2016 09:07AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Farm Fatale: A Comedy of Country Manors
  • The Exploits & Adventures of Miss Alethea Darcy (Darcy #2)
  • Persuading Annie
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Welcome to My Planet: Where English Is Sometimes Spoken
  • Glückskekse
  • Bare Necessity
  • Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2)
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Unpredictable
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • Bidding for Love
Helen Fielding was born in Yorkshire. She worked for many years in London as a newspaper and TV journalist, travelling as wildly and as often as possibly to Africa, India and Central America. She is the author of four novels: Cause Celeb, Bridget Jones’ s Diary, Bridget Jones:The Edge of Reason and Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination, and co-wrote the screenplays for the movie of Bridget ...more

Bridget Jones (4 books)
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)
  • Bridget Jones's Baby: The Diaries (Bridget Jones, #4)
“Keep thinking back about what Mum said about being real and the Velveteen Rabbit book (though frankly have had enough trouble with rabbits in this particular house). My favorite book, she claims of which I have no memory was about how little kids get one toy that they love more than all the others, and even when its fur has been rubbed off, and it's gone saggy with bits missing, the little child still thinks it's the most beautiful toy in the world, and can't bear to be parted from it.

That's how it works, when people really love each other, Mum whispered on the way out in the Debenhams lift, as if she was confessing some hideous and embarrassing secret. But, the thing is, darling, it doesn't happen to ones who have sharp edges, or break if they get dropped, or ones made of silly synthetic stuff that doesn't last. You have to be brave and let the other person know who you are and what you feel.”
105 likes
“9p.m. My flat. Feel very strange and empty. Is all very well thinking everything is going to be different when you come back but then it is all the same. Suppose I have to make it different. But what am I going to do with my life?
I know. Will eat some cheese.”
78 likes