Start by marking “Alias” as Want to Read:
Alias

Alias

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
A car lies crashed below a Welsh mountain road. One of the young women inside it is dead, the other badly injured, with no memory of who she is or what just happened. All she has is a bus pass showing her photograph and a name she doesn’t recognise.

As she struggles to recover from her injuries, a startling revelation shatters everything she thought she knew, forcing her i
Published June 1st 2018 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Alias, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alias

Diane Wallace
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
'NetGalley ARC provided by The Publisher in exchange for a honest review'

**'The most beautiful stories always start with wreckage..Go deeper into your story than you ever thought possible--and then go deeper still..'

Prodigious story!
Though certainly a tearjerker, ALIAS is deeply intense,poignant,unique,has that touch of the classic Cari Hunter writing style,and a perfect balance for any reader. With plotlines that could be taken from today's headlines,combining sensitive handling of impossible d
Lex Kent
4.25 Stars. It’s a Hunter book need I say more? I’ve been impatiently waiting to read this since I heard about it months ago. I’m a Hunter fan and truly believe she is one of the best lesfic crime writers out there. I’m happy to say this was just pure entertainment.

A woman wakes up in a car that has been in a horrible accident. She doesn’t know who she is or the dead passenger next to her. Detective Bronwen Pryce is called to the scene of an accident to find a woman barely conscience. Pryce can
Rosi
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is amazing how this author manages to describe the environments in which her books are developed in such a way that you almost find yourself there. Because the weather play as important a role as any of the characters in their stories. And also she discovers to us the plot gradually and without tricks or deceptions, which is welcomed when you face a mystery or thriller.

So this story begins with a car accident in which a woman dies and another is badly wounded and with amnesia. And from here,
Kara
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Alias” is, for the most part, a very engaging mystery-crime story, but I wish there had been more chemistry and romance between the MCs. The narration was terrific; I enjoyed her accents!

This could almost be an Alfred Hitchcock story, what with the police being made to look so incompetent and corrupt throughout the story. The MCs are both very likable, and it was interesting being in Alis’ head as she was recovering from amnesia. Was she on the take? Was she having an inappropriate relationship
Jem
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Devoured in a day! Amnesia-driven mystery/thriller written in the first person POV. First impressions: loved the mystery, didn't love the romance (what romance???, lol), and not enough Det. Pryce (well, the blurb kinda led me on...so...)

The cover though....?!?!?!? might have worked on another author's book. But on Cari Hunter's trademark grimy, gritty, bloody thrillers? Totally inappropriate. And in sub-zero English (or in this case Welsh) weather that is such an integral part of the book? No w
Tiff
Cari Hunter gas a new book out, Alias. You don’t need to read further to know that this is a damn good book. It was written by Hunter, a damn good book is guaranteed each time she puts one out? I will expand because this is my review, DUH :), but one thing you can count on is that when you pick up a book by Hunter it is going to be awesome. She is an amazing author that weaves intricate tales and keeps you right on the edge of your seat.

Alias introduces us to a woman, Rebecca Elliott, who has b
Netty
Really really enjoyed this one, fantastic crime story and need I mention the super hot sex scene, she made it quite realistic compared to a lot I read, loved the characters , I don’t read many British books so it’s really nice when I get one in my clutches especially as good as this one, my only gripe is that I didn’t feel any chemistry between them but still this deserves positive praise, I’d definitely recommend this book.....

An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review.
vacatedboat
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
‘Alias’ was my first Cari Hunter book and I’m really glad I finally got around to her work. It won’t be my last.

We open on a woman regaining consciousness after a car accident. With the car on its side, her dead passenger’s arm dangles in front of her. She has no idea who she or her passenger are or what’s happened to them. The suspense starts right away in ‘Alias’ and with the descriptors, I could easily see a movie reel playing in my head.

One thing I really enjoyed about this book is the POV.
Farah
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank the amazing Alias' reviewers on Goodreads for their great job in reviewing this book and helped me to decide to purchase this book, I bought Snowbound a stupid minute after.. Thanks to you geniuses too.

Let's get the topic regarding the lack of romance dealt with first. To my opinion, the romance wasn't at the backseat. It was in an U-haul of its own... but towards the last 15 percent of the story, the U-haul abandoned and these were some of the lines coming out of my mouth
Agirlcandream
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cari Hunter delivers once again with a crime thriller told from the perspective of an accident victim trying desperately to remember who she is and why she is lying beside a dead woman she doesn't recognize. From the opening chilling scene on a storm-drenched stretch of road in Wales the reader knows this is more than some simple love tryst gone awry.

DS Bronwen Pryce is all cop when she first encounters the injured and confused Rebecca.. She is drawn so well, so cool and professional that when
Joc
Rebecca wakes up to find herself in a smashed up car with a dead woman. She’s not sure how it happened, where she is or who she is. Detective Bronwen Pryce is first on the scene and once she’s been taken to hospital, Rebecca has a sense she can trust her even though she has an uneasiness about everything else.

This is a riveting mystery and suspense novel set in Wales and Manchester. Rebecca’s journey of recovery, with her fragmented and intermittent memory, is hampered by the overriding feeling
Heather
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wlw, own, netgalley
I was absolutely unprepared for how much I would enjoy this book. It was dangerous and suspenseful, smart and cheeky, and it kept me up until past 1am one evening just needing to find out what happened next.

We start amidst chaos, a car crash in Wales leaving one occupant of the car deceased and the other absolutely in the dark, both literally and figuratively. There are twists and turns, a bunch of Britishisms and Welsh things that I'm sure I know from being in the UK and a bunch that are able
Corrie
Oh wow, what a wild ride this was. I knew of Cari Hunter but never read any of her work. I’m finding out after the fact that she has quite an award-winning pedigree (I’m not surprised) and will make sure to read her back catalogue.

I basically inhaled the book in two days, sucked into it from the opening sentence ”I know she’s dead.”, I just could not put it down. I loved the pace, the mystery, the fact that we are in Alis’ amnesia addled brain and as much in the dark on matters as she is. Not kn
Clare Ashton
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've loved Cari Hunter's vivid and gritty stories right from her first book Snowbound and somehow she's just got better and better. Her writing style has always made her stand out as one of the best writers in the genre but this, like her Dark Peak Series, also has superior plotting. This is my favourite though - her handling of the first person narrative gives the main character bold flavour and is perfect for the unfolding intrigue and mystery. Don't miss it!
Stephanie
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
wow. I couldn't put this down. I loved the way it's written through the eyes of Alis-who has amnesia.
The first person narrative is quick moving and draws you in right from the beginning...and doesn't let you go. Alis and Pryce are no Sanne and Meg (Dark Peak series)....but I felt the romance there. There was just so much else going on it definitely took a back seat...even to them. But, truly, I didn't mind.
This is a great read.
Cari Hunter fans won't be disappointed. Honestly, my only complaint.
Gaby LezReviewBooks
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is in my recommended books of the month

I have conflicting feelings towards Cari Hunter's books: sometimes her stories are a bit gruesome for my taste. The problem is she's a great writer, probably one of the best mystery authors, and her books are engaging, well written and exciting to read. So I always end up reading them. In the case of 'Alias' the gruesome scenes were almost absent so I'm really happy to have read it.

A woman wakes up in a car
Lucky Luc
I know I’m in the minority but this was just okay for me. I don’t know if it was the lack of knowledge of English cuisine and culture or what I felt was a disjointed climax, but I never did buy in to this one beyond the very promising beginning when she was only known as Rebecca. I felt like they went from earning trust to falling into bed way too fast yet most of the story took too long to unfold. Oh well. On to the next...
Cari Hunter
Jul 02, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely bazzin' on audio. Nicki Vincent has outdone herself with this one and I owe her a nice Bara Brith the next time we meet up. I'll bake it myself, though. I'm not a bloody savage.
Tinything
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally! I finished this book. Not that the book was bad. Actually the book was pretty good. It just I had been sooo distracted to the point i had no longer in the mood reading this book any more. And I even forgot some minor characters. I even had to go back to check who was who. 😅 my bad.

This book talked in first POV of the one who had amnesia. Since synopsis didnt reveal her name, I has no intention saying it either. This one quite different from the books I read so far with amnesia. Mostly t
Bethany
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as her Dark Peak series, but I'm a HUGE fan of Hunter's work.

I'm also mad at myself for giving in and reading this because now I'm completely out of Hunter books :( The next book I pick up is already screwed - I'm spoiled now.
Aj Smith
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I'm still slightly baffled by this book but in a really good way. Let me put it this way; I got a free review copy but I've gone and bought it as well, that's how good it is and how many times I anticipate rereading this novel. There was just something about it that got under my skin and I was caught between wanting to go over sections again to make sure I hadn't missed any tiny but potentially crucial details and staying up all night to finish it! Whatever your reading style, it's excellen ...more
Det. Nidhi
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Cari Hunter has recently become a favourite of mine after I came across her Dark Peak series. She writes amazing crime fiction novels. So it was a no brainer for me to read this book.

I love the fact that all her books are set in the countryside. There is something very charming about a countryside setting and it also there is the fact that it is a perfect setting for a crime novel. If my username didn't clue you in, I love pro
Alealea
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
They are books I have to read twice in a row and this is one of those books.

First time around, I was so taken by the ambiance, I miss a lot of details. I didn't even noticed the story was written with the present tense.
It's perfect for it.
So much tension and stress, it was like watching a horror movie. You feel the angst, terror and deep exhaustion of the main character.

She suffers from amnesia (among other things) after a car crash. As the driver, she feels a profund guilt about it but she
Velvet Lounger

Cari Hunter writes exceedingly good books and this is the best yet.

It starts with a literal “bang” when a car goes off the road in the Welsh hills leaving one woman dead and the other severely injured and suffering amnesia. Who she is and why she is there elude her, and us. Working with Detective Bronwen Pryce from the local police the survivor must piece together her life, and then survive the what she finds.

The plot is fast and sometimes furious, but as usual with Ms Hunter's writing
Amanda
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
Whew... what an intense book. Made me feel anxious the entire time reading it. My wife is a huge Hunter fan and she listened to the audiobook while I read the ebook. While I tend to like romance over mystery or crime novels this was really a fantastic read. I couldn't put it down. Makes me think I should really start her Dark Peak series. The romance between Alis and Pryce was for me not nearly enough. I know romance wasn't the focus but I could have used a little more. I have my fingers crossed ...more
Manon
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqqiap, netgalley
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Alias told the story of a woman who wakes up on the side of the road not remembering anything, even her name or how she got into the car accident that killed the woman right besides her.
We then follow her how she uncovers what has happened little by little, memory after memory.

I really liked this book.
The mystery was on point and kept me on my toes the entire time.
I really fell for the characters and their relationships, especi
Flowerscat
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 5, thriller
This book has been a joy to read. Of all the Cari Hunter books on my shelf, this is currently my favourite. The story is an exciting, fast-paced thriller that holds your attention from the first chapter - the writing is sharp, and to the point. If work hadn’t got in the way, I would probably have read it end-to-end in a day.

I would highly recommend that you read this book without reading the blurb, or any of the online reviews - it helps preserve the element of surprise that is so integral to t
Carly
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
Absolutely brilliant! I read this in a day. From the moment the story begins you are sucked in wanting to know who this girl is and what happened to her. It read like I was watching a crime drama, brilliantly written. This is going into my favourites list.
Cheri
Great book by a great author. Tight plot and writing, the pacing was about perfect, and the story was interesting. This one is a bit different from Hunter's previous work in that it's told from first person POV. It's not different in that the book is exciting and dark and very well done. I love that Hunter's books are so British. I mean that I feel like I'm watching a British mystery on TV. There were even a few places where I wish I had subtitles for the audiobook. :-) I definitely suggest gett ...more
Dreaming
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute perfection. A very exciting crime novel that kept me reading on. I hurried so much that I might have missed some elements, but I'll be reading it again, or better yet, listen to the audiobook version.
Cari Hunter at her best (she keeps getting better if it's even possible).
The novel is in first person narrative that took some getting used to but it worked well.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Mostly Lesfic: * Alias Q&A with Cari Hunter 20 34 Sep 02, 2018 04:23AM
Mostly Lesfic: * Alias by Cari Hunter 4 18 Aug 28, 2018 10:07PM
Cari Hunter lives in the northwest of England with her wife, their cat, and a field full of sheep. She works full-time as a paramedic and dreams up stories in her spare time.

Cari enjoys long, wind-swept, muddy walks in her beloved Peak District. In the summer she can usually be found sitting in the garden with her feet up, scribbling in her writing pad. Although she doesn’t like to boast, she will