Start by marking “Squidtoons: Exploring Ocean Science with Comics” as Want to Read:
Squidtoons: Exploring Ocean Science with Comics

Squidtoons: Exploring Ocean Science with Comics

Dive deep into the latest, most interesting (and weirdest!) science about underwater creatures with Squidtoons!

These educational comics combine fun science facts about marine life and a strong environmental message. From whale vomit to bone-eating worms, narwhals to sea dragons, Squidtoons presents real ocean science in a series of easy-to-understand comics. Venture from t
Published June 26th 2018 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Squidtoons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Squidtoons

Start your review of Squidtoons: Exploring Ocean Science with Comics
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Squidtoons: Bill Bryson and David Attenborough for kids, spiced up with a lot of humour.

This is a lushily illustrated sea special about Marine Life - one of my favourite parts about nature. Its beautiful deep blue holds so much precious life and wonderful mysteries. I think the key to saving our oceans is to gain empathisers for its life from our children.

We are told of the anatomy and so much concerning the Sea Dragon. Everything is explained in a child-friendly manner and would appeal greatly
Montzalee Wittmann
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Squidtoons: Exploring Ocean Science with Comics by Garfield Kwan is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. I only received a sample of 31 pages and I wanted more! This book is so awesome!!! It has the most adorable illustrations with cute cartoons to emphasize the information that is displayed. The information is also relayed in a fun way too. Kids will love this. I loved it and I am certain no kid. This is sure to be a hit! Who doesn't love sea life and comics anyway?
 Reading Reindeer
Review: Squidtoons: Exploring Ocean Science With Comics

An excellently-presented and lovingly illustrated guide to life undersea, SQUIDTOONS will excite young readers (both those still in the read-to-me stage, and older children who delight in reading on their own) and adults (parents and educators alike) with its winning ways and gentle approach to science education. In comic format with substantial text and lovely illustrations, gaining knowledge is so easy. Readers of any age can learn much ab
Navi
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an absolute delight! This is such a fun way to educate little ones on ocean life. I thought the art style was beautifully vibrant that really worked well with the ocean setting. I giggled out loud many times. I'd highly recommend this!

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Ms. Yingling
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Copy provided by the publisher

This is a very detailed handbook about a variety of ocean creatures. From sea dragons to various fish to sharks and many others besides, we are given drawings detailing bodily features, information about habitats and breeding, and many odd and interesting facts that are both important and amusing. While all of the information is scientifically accurate and does not skimp on science (there are a lot of high level terms and explanations of things like gas exchange and
Clare O'Beara
I downloaded what turned out to be a sampler from Net Galley.
The sampler only looks at the sea dragons and while it's nicely drawn, I did not need to be told several times over that sea dragons are not related to actual dragons. A more useful aspect would be what dangers they face in the sea from predation and environmental despoliation. Some interesting facts are related with notes about species and camouflage.
The brightly coloured pictures will entertain young children but I suggest the book
Literary Soirée
Wish we had had Squidtoons when I was in school! Such beautiful illustrations and a fun informative way through comics to teach children about ocean life. Five 🦑s!

Thanks to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for an early copy. Opinions are mine.

#Squidtoons #NetGalley
Barbara
In this comic readers head into the ocean and explore various intriguing creatures, often from the inside out or vice versa. While I might have liked a brief text introduction to the topic and the species, I still was quickly drawn into the book and learned a lot more than I expected about some of the more unusual species that live in the sea. Middle grade readers are sure to be captivated by the sea dragon, the osedax, and the yeti crab and be repulsed at the thought that some perfumes are made ...more
J.L. Slipak
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dive deep into the latest, most interesting (and weirdest!) science about underwater creatures with Squidtoons!

These educational comics combine fun science facts about marine life and a strong environmental message. From whale vomit to bone-eating worms, narwhals to sea dragons, Squidtoons presents real ocean science in a series of easy-to-understand comics. Venture from the seashore to the deep sea, and learn about the ocean’s diverse life forms straight from the experts.

Out June 26th, 2018

MY T
Wayne McCoy
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
'Squidtoons: Exploring Ocean Science with Comics' by Garfield Kwan is a series for kids that helps them learn about creatures in the oceans. My review copy was only 31 pages, but I liked what I got sent.

The section I got sent was about the weedy seadragon. It included an anatomical drawing and talked about rarer species. The book also talked about attempts to breed more in captivity and why those attempts might be failing. Further in the book are sections about the Market Squid, Bluefin Tuna, th
Becky B
A comic nonfiction graphic novel guide to various marine animals, both common and not so common.

The ARC provided was only ¼ of the book, so I just got to read the sea dragon pages. What was provided though was attractively illustrated and provided solid information in creative and comic ways. I will be looking for the book to add to our Media Center. I think curious middle grade kids should love this, and the facts are solid. Even though I just got ¼ of the book, I myself learned a couple of thi
Stephanie Tournas
Colorful digital cartoons illustrate scientific research on various sea creatures. Back matter includes a glossary and sources.

There does not seem to be a unifying theme to the creatures chosen for this book. Detailed scientific facts seem randomly chosen. Graphics are too large for the format and unappealingly organized. Sources are professional scientific sources that unlikely to be accessible to children.
Jessica
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the way science can be put nicely into a graphic novel. Students are looking for books in this format and what better way to learn about ocean science.The humor was a nice touch: 6 ways to check if you are a lobster.
Dawn
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing pictures with lots of facts, just the way kids love to take in their facts!
Wendy
Kelly
Jul 24, 2018
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Squidtoons by Garfield Kwan & Dana Song is a fun, fact-filled book about ocean life. Laid out in comic book style, this lovely book introduces young readers to the world beneath the waves. From seashore to abyssal depths, creatures and habitats are examined in a kid-friendly, educational manner.

My cubs and I read this together and loved it! I got the original sampler from Netgalley, but it was so much fun, we got a full copy for the physical home library. They plenty of curious questions afterw
Jenn Burchill
Jun 04, 2019
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have you ever heard of Seadragons? I never have. Apparently they are part of the same family as Sea Horses, and they have the same style of having the male incubate the eggs. And that creature is only the first of many to be introduced in this book.

The science facts are fun, and beautifully drawn. There are bits of humor thrown in, and the pictures are colorful, and very informative.

This is an excellent book for both home and class room use. What a marvelous way to present life under the sea.

Tha
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy from the publisher through NetGalley.
Tiffanie Dang
Mandi Mclarney
Jul 16, 2018
Audrey
Jul 21, 2018

• Bat and the End of Everything (A Boy Called Bat, #3)
  • Science Comics: The Brain: The Ultimate Thinking Machine
  • The Woman Who Changed Her Brain: And Other Inspiring Stories of Pioneering Brain Transformation
  • Nevertheless, We Persisted: 48 Voices of Defiance, Strength, and Courage
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Amal Unbound
  • 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food
  • In Conclusion, Don't Worry About It
  • The Parker Inheritance
  • The Journey of Little Charlie
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • The Lost Girl
  • The Line Tender
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Heal the Earth (A Julian Lennon White Feather Flier Adventure #2)
  • The Boy Who Grew a Forest: The True Story of Jadav Payeng
  • Evil Star (The Gatekeepers, #2)
  • Mad Scientist Academy: The Weather Disaster