Start by marking “Saving Beck” as Want to Read:
Saving Beck

Saving Beck

Reminiscent of the beloved novels by Mary Kubica and Jodi Picoult comes a chilling portrayal of a son’s addiction and its harrowing effects on both him and his mother from New York Times bestselling author Courtney Cole.

There comes a time when offering your life for your child’s doesn’t work, when you realize that it’ll never be enough.

The cold needle in his warm vein w
Published July 17th 2018 by Gallery Books

Diane S ☔
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A mother's anguish and a son's unbearable guilt. You think it can't happen to you, you hope it never happens to. Until it does. How much hurt and grief can one person bear? A mother's worst nightmare, your son gone, taking drugs, the son who was a football star, won a scholarship to college, now in the fight of his life.

I was emotionally wrung out by books end. There is so much realism here, authentic feelings that any mother would have in this situation. Absolutely heartbreaking. Narrated alte
Berit☀️✨
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Heartbreaking Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

This book takes a real and raw look at addiction and its impact not only on the addict but the addict’s entire family... Courtney Cole takes you on such an emotional journey with this book... and the fact that she has gone through this with her own son adds so much authenticity to the story.... as a mother I could not help but put myself in Natalie’s (the mother in this book) shoes... I cannot even imagine how helpless you would feel watching your child struggle with a
Michelle
Mar 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
Yay! I'm a winner! Thanks, Goodreads!

Now I just have to mentally prepare myself to have my heart shattered into a million pieces. Isn't reading fun? 😉
Bernadette
Saving Beck by Courtney Cole is a novel about addiction and its effect on a family. The book is written from the viewpoint of Natalie, a suburban mom of three, and her eldest son Beckitt or “Beck.” Beck is smart, handsome and athletic, the traditional “all American teenager”. The family experiences a traumatic event and Natalie can't cope, she checks out emotionally, becoming so depressed that Beck becomes the main caregiver for his younger brother and sister. Beck stops coping after his mother ...more
Courtney
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
5+++++++++++ Stars

If I could, I would give this book ALL THE STARS!!!!

I knew going into this book that it was going to be an emotional read for me. I knew that going in, this book was loosely based on Courtney and her son's battle with addiction. Watching a loved one battle any addition in any way, is so hard for those of us standing on the side lines wanting to help and having no idea what to do.

I had tears in my eyes at the dedication and they were only the beginning of the many tears I she
Dianne
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A family implodes as death takes their father and husband. As one woman struggles with the loss of her soulmate, one child will take the weight of the world on his shoulders, a weight that will prove too much when he finds he cannot live with the guilt of blame he places on himself. Beck will spiral into the false promises of escape in the abyss of drug addiction that will shred what remains of the life he once knew. Now he lies near death, comatose, trapped with his memories of his darkest mome ...more
Linda
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought after reading the many reviews of this book I was prepared to read it. I was wrong . I cannot envision any mother reading this book without being bowled over with its power. Courtney brings the
Impact of addiction and its destructive force to life . She shares at the end of her book that she has had to walk the path with her son. Beautifully written. Heartbreaking, illuminating moments, and still there is hope.
Donna
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This one is difficult for me to review without coming off as unfeeling and cynical, but here it is.

Natalie and Matt are the loving parents of three great children. Beck is the oldest of the three - a good student, a football star, and a loving son with a beautiful girlfriend. Life is great, practically perfect, and high school graduation is just around the corner. Then tragedy strikes in the form of a car accident in which Matt is killed and Beck is injured. Life isn't so great anymore.

As Natal
Robyn
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Natalie and Matt have the perfect marriage and family. They have three children with Beck being the oldest. They are a normal, loving suburban family, but when tragedy strikes, it changes the lives of the Kingsley family in the worst possible way.

Natalie is completely devastated after a tragic accident takes the life of her husband, leaving her her son Beck to deal with the care of his younger siblings. Often times Natalie can’t even get out of bed and face the day. She relies on prescription me
Jill McGill
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This book broke me. I can honestly say, this is one of the most heartbreaking and emotional books I have read in a very long time. If you are looking for a roller coaster ride of emotions, this is your book. Saving Beck is raw, real, and extremely powerful!

This story speaks for itself and is almost impossible to review. All I can say is pick this one up... you won't be disappo
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not even sure where to start with my review. I have been reading Courtney Cole for a long time yet nothing has ever touched me as much as Saving Beck has. Maybe it's because I am a mother... maybe it's because this is every parent's worst nightmare... maybe because it's so relatable, so scary, so very real... this book frightened me yet gave me such hope.

Life is not perfect. You can pray and wish for all good things never knowing what God has in store for you, what obstacles can come your wa
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I started this book last night and after a few chapters had to put it down because my mind wasn't set for such a heavy read. So I started another book and a few chapters into that one, felt myself drawn back to picking this one back up. I probably would've stayed up late to finish it had I had some decent sleep the night before. I did have time this morning to finish it and I was right, this IS a heavy, heavy read.

People have the tendency to think "This won't happen, can't happen to me or anyone
Judy Collins
SAVING BECK is Beautifully written. Evocative. Heart-wrenching. Raw. Honest. Heartbreaking. Hopeful. Inspiring. Compelling. Timely.

What a package! Loved the book and the audio version. Highly recommend. Two talented narrators! Emotional and moving: Cassandra Campbell (my favorite) and Ramón De Ocampo— combined with the writing of the gifted and skillful author, Courtney Cole. Review to follow.
Tracy (The Pages In-Between)
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Gallery Books and Netgalley for my free E-ARC in exchange of an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This was such a sad story, reading about how Beck struggled with coping with his father's death, his mother falling apart, having to take care of his younger siblings, because his mom won't leave her bed. All the while trying to stay strong from himself.

He was the super star athlete, with everything going for him, who let drugs get the best of him. You witness the downfall, the he
Talon
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
”I’d never felt so low.
I’d never felt so sub-human.
But even still, I waited for them to return, because I needed what they had more than I needed pride. More than I even needed to breathe.”

Courtney, Courtney, Courtney. I wish the words that I typed right now could do you the justice you so deserve with Saving Beck. Unfortunately- they won’t. Nothing I say can. Because I know how painful this one was for you write and I wish I could have held your hand every step of the way.

Saving Beck is a
Melinda
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, giveaway-win
This is a Goodreads giveaway win!

This is the second emotionally heavy book I've read this month! I think I see a pattern starting!
Saving Beck is about a son addicted to drugs, the path that led him there and a mother's struggle to save him.
Beck is on the fast track to a college of his choice with a football scholarship and a bright future in front of him when his world is flipped upside down. Him and his dad take a road trip to visit Notre Dame college and on the way home are involved in a hor
Jen
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book completely broke me. Courtney Cole wrote a gut wrenching tale of drug addiction and the lengths a mother will go to in order to save her child. What a powerful read!
Staci
UPDATE!! Kindle Daily Deal today for $1.99!!

This is an intense and heartbreaking story about grief and addiction but is also about hope and redemption. It is very fast paced and once I began reading I didn’t want to put it down. This story is emotionally-charged and there was truly never a moment, until the very end, where I felt like I could take a deep breath.

Natalie lost her husband in a tragic car accident and is drowning in grief as a result. Beck, her eldest son, was driving the car when t
Bookgasms Book Blog
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shelly
Oof. This was a tough read.

I mean, it was a compelling read, don't get me wrong. I read it voraciously and quickly. It was well written, and flowed smoothly between events occurring in the present, and events that occurred in the past. It was interesting - but heart-wrenching. I felt some things like a punch to the gut. As a mom, this story completely shattered my heart. As a reader, I could not put the book down.

It's definitely reminiscent of Jodi Picoult in that "ripped from the headlines" sor
Mackenzie Lane
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
3.5 stars!

Despite the bleak subject matter (drug addiction, death, etc.), this was a fairly easy read. The writing was simple and non-descriptive, but lacked a sense of originality. Like, a lot of the sentences were "filler" sentences, ones I felt as if I'd read before in other books. You know, like the abhorred "she let out a breath she didn't know she'd been holding," kind of sentences. Or the literary equivalent of stock photos.

I liked that the author went there when she wrote about the drug
Mrs. Europaea
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a caged Mama wolf and there's nothing I can do, but I know that if I stop moving, Beck will die. My energy is attached to his energy. I have to move. It all depends on me.

Woah. Cole's writing is deep and thoughtful. Addicts are very misunderstood to those who have been lucky enough never to have been one or cared for one. Cole manages to make the disease of Addiction a central character in this story to really shed some light on what addicts and their loved ones go through.
Amy-GallivantingPages
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-netgalley
Saving Beck addresses a major current epidemic we are dealing with as a country, drug addiction and overdosing with heroin, head on. Quite an emotional read, where I found myself in tears at some points of this story. Beck has it all good looking, smart, and quarterback on the varsity football team, taking them to the playoffs and sure to land a major scholarship. A car accident leaves his father dead and his world forever changed, as he spirals out of control
I definitely would recommend this b
Alecia (The Staircase Reader)
Yesterday I was looking through my bookshelves, needing something different for my reading palate. I came across a copy of Saving Beck by Courtney Cole that I had won in a Goodreads giveaway and completely forgot about. As I was sitting there reading the prologue, with my heart lodged in my throat and tears in my eyes, I decided to continue on with this story. I’m not even kidding when I say, I sat on the floor in front of my bookshelf for two and a half hours completely consumed and unable to l ...more
Grace
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

An emotional story about coping with loss and guilt, and the personal battle to rise above the pain.

If you know the author or follow her on FB, then you already know her backstory. If you don't, then it is worth noting that this is a very personal story for her, and as I reader, I could tell by reading it, that it was a cathartic process for her given her personal connection to the sad epidemic of addiction.

This story is told from two POVs, Natalie Kingsley and her son, Beck, who are b
Jill
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Saving Beck was one of the most emotional books I’ve ever read. I knew going in it was going to be tough. Between the subject matter, and the fact that it is based off a true story, the authors story, I knew I was in for it. To be honest, nothing could have prepared me for the emotions I went through while reading this book.

Reading anything about addiction for me is always heartbreaking. The thing I loved most about Saving Beck was being able to see addiction and what it caused, through two diff
Janelle • She Reads with Cats
Thank you so much to Gallery Books for providing my free copy of SAVING BECK by Courtney Cole - all opinions are my own.

This is easily one of the best books I’ve read this year. It is exquisitely written and every thought and emotion the characters have come alive on the page.

Beck and his father are on their way to Beck’s dream college, Notre Dame, when tragedy strikes and his father dies. His mother, Natalie, falls into a deep depression, relying on Xanax and wine to ease the pain. Beck is left
Rae
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, bt-e-book, arc, fiction
Saving Beck by Courtney Cole is a harrowing book about addiction and one young man's journey through the darkness. Addiction is a fiend, and it feeds on the living. Addiction doesn't just affect the user--it affects the user's family and friends. In Saving Beck, Cole captures this reality perfectly as she showcases the impact of Beck's actions.

I absolutely loved this novel. It was a startling look at a tough life. This book was heartbreaking--yet hopeful--and I'd be lying if I said it didn't ma
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
This book broke my heart and took me on a rollercoaster of emotions. Saving Beck deals with a young adult’s overdose and resulting aftermath. The story is told from Beck’s comatose perspective and his mother’s alternating perspective. The story also contains flashbacks which illustrate how things got to this place for this family. The story is extremely powerful and will move its readers. While reading this, I became aware that Cole’s own son struggles with addiction and knowing that some of the ...more
Angy Potter - Collector of Book Boyfriends
DNF with 3 hours left in the audiobook.

I was attracted to the cover when it was revealed last year and when I had the chance to read and listen to it, I went for it. Sadly it took me a little to finally get into the story, mostly because of the main subject of the book: drug addiction, a hard limit for me in books, but sometimes I want to get myself out of my comfort zone and Oh. My. God. Where did I get into?

This book tells the wrenching story of a family that lost the father, and due to that
Misty
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Can you even write a review after that?" ~ Misty, White Hot Reads

There are so many things I want to touch on with this one even knowing nothing I could write will ever ever give this story justice. Natalie. Or was it me? At times I wasn't sure. The grief she is living is real. I know because I've lived it. I don't think anyone has ever written grief like this in such an honest and raw way. It's so hard to put into words but Courtney did it. There were times that I had flashbacks to my own grief

• No Alternative
  • Leading Man
  • Caminos
  • Lucky Bastard
  • Trust Me
  • Tower of Tears (The McClusky Series, #1)
  • Girl in Shades
  • The Trouble with Half a Moon
  • Webs of Fate (Book 1 of the Webs Series)
  • Maharishi  Me: Seeking Enlightenment with the Beatles' Guru
  • Penalty Kick
  • Judgement of Souls
  • Crying on the Subway
  • Punishment Summer
  • The Last Witness
  • Forever ME
  • Wish I Could Have Said Goodbye
  • Heart's Ransom (Heart and Soul #1)
Courtney Cole is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling novelist who would eat mythology for breakfast if she could.

She loves giving advice, loving on her kids, red lipstick and blonde hair dye.

Courtney was born and raised in rural Kansas, but has since migrated south. She now lives in Florida and writes beneath palm trees.

Learn more about Courtney and her books at www.courtneycolewrites.co