Start by marking “Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory and Finding Love(s)” as Want to Read:
Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory and Finding Love(s)

Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory and Finding Love(s)

In this bold, illustrated memoir, a young woman shares both a personal and sociological take on modern, “unconventional” love, exploring her own transformation from serial monogamist to proud polyamorist.

After trying for years to emulate the kind of relationship her parents had—married happily for forty years—Sophie Lucido Johnson realized that maybe the love she was looki
Published June 26th 2018 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Many Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Many Love

Start your review of Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory and Finding Love(s)
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I enjoyed this, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting it to be so I didn't love it quite as much as I wanted to. Womp :c
Jessica Woodbury
Recently I tried to read a novel about a couple that opens up their relationship. I couldn't do it. They were doing it all wrong, they were making terrible choices, they were setting themselves up for disaster, and it just kept bothering me that people would read this book and think that this was how nonmonogamy worked. I care about this because I've been nonmonogamous myself for the last few years and I've heard too many stories of people cheating on their spouses and then trying to excuse them ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I have friends in poly relationships and thought this book sounded interesting, a way to learn more. Most people will tell you to read The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities if you are interested in polyamory, but as this book's author explains, it really is focused on the sex part of polyamory, and to her, while sex is present it is not the point. (TES also serves as more of a how-to guide, and I wasn't interested for that reason, just curious how people who make it work act ...more
Janelle Janson
Many thanks to Touchstone Books for providing my free copy of MANY LOVE by Sophie Lucido Johnson - all opinions are my own.

The great thing about reading memoirs is I get to learn something new or at least learn a new perspective, so I usually like to read a variety. MANY LOVE is an honest and refreshing take on love and relationships - I absolutely enjoyed it! It’s enlightening, evocative, witty, insightful, and fascinating!

Johnson is a clever writer and illustrator who brings to light how she w
Alice Lemon
This book was kind of interesting, but I'm also glad it was short enough that I could get through it quickly, because I wasn't that impressed. I kind of disliked the non-chronological style, and definitely disliked the mixture of random drawings and cartoons that seemed to contain important information but that it was hard for me to fit into the flow of the text.

As a polyamorous non-binary person who never dated or was sexual with anyone until they were 29, and who has only done so with other tr
Danielle
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well, I gave this a quick read because it sounded like an interesting look at social and relationship dynamics that don't get written about very often but maybe I missed something. 'Married, heterosexual woman had some girl crushes in college and now has close, platonic female friends' doesn't sound all that new or interesting to me and, unless I missed a chapter or something, that's what this book seems to be about. It was also really disjointed which made it annoying to read.
britt_brooke
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is part memoir, part explanation of the many ways polyamory can exist. Johnson writes candidly about relationships, inserting sketches that add to the narrative. She’s funny, talented, and thoughtful. I loved how the folks she didn’t want to name were referred to as Rory (a nod to Gilmore Girls). Though polyamory is not for me, I respect that it can work, and I appreciate Johnson putting herself out there.

PUB DATE: 6.26.18

Thanks, NetGalley!
Randi
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted more from the topic. The writing is all over the place and hard to follow. She spends more time talking about the build up of her life and her friendships than she does her romantic relationships, and I found myself very bored and disappointed.
Shana
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this book boring but I think a younger and straight reader with a prurient interest in the author’s non-traditional love life might find it more revelatory. I gave up after the chapter on how you can actually be friends with your exes. Wow, who knew?
Touchstone Books
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fresh, funny, original, and incredibly insightful about all relationships—polyamorous or otherwise.
Luke HoardeGalvan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book you should read this summer! A refreshing look at how love can work in 2018.
Anna
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was (accidentally) a perfect companion read to the novel I just finished. Part memoir, part graphic novel with tons of research tossed in- it definitely was an entertaining read. The chapters are divided up almost topically, which for me made it a bit confusing since the life events she described throughout were not happening chronologically
Magen
A nice memoir about one woman's experience of discovering polyamory. It is an important perspective and I'm glad she wrote the book. I don't think it's the greatest primer on polyamory nor is it very representative of the various ways polyamory looks. Taken for what it is, it was an interesting and fast read.
Andrienne
Another honest book about a person’s journey to find the right relationship fit. Love already has its complications so it just follows that a multiplication of it does not decrease the issues attached to it. She brings up jealousy, sex, friendships and offers distinctions from other relationship types.

Access to review copy provided by the publisher.
Jilsann
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was my first reading experience concerning polyamory.

As much as I thought that it was completely fascinating; I would pay the tribute to the topic and not the writing.
In the very beginning, the author made multiple uses of a phrase that is just an absolute pet peeve of mine. The: "I am going to talk about this later". Ugh, why can't she just talk about that topic then and there? Or, if it didn't fit in the beginning, why couldn't she just leave the phrase out?

Furthermore, throughout
Dan
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book quite a bit.

It's kind of written as an introduction to polyamory, and it's honestly not the best at being a comprehensive guide, but it is also actually really well-written and enjoyable to read, which just can't be said about a lot of the other books in this genre.

So I probably won't start recommending this as the go to nonmonogamy 101 text, but I am really glad I read it.

And there were definitely a few new ideas in it, and she really fleshes out some ideas that other people t
Vari Robinson
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
There are a couple sections in this book that are really good and talk about the bits of polyamory that no other book on the subject has talked about well. So in that way, I would highly recommend those sections. Especially if you’re a very emotional person like me and want to read something comforting and understanding on having an overflow of emotions in polyamory.

This being said, it’s also way too heteronormative (which the author acknowledges and also so is every other book on polyamory I’ve
Lara Blackman
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A touching, sharp and witty look at polyamory through one young woman's journey - you'll laugh, cry, and think deeply about your own relationships, plus enjoy over 100 original illustrations. A truly great read :)
Kayo
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was all over the place. Felt disconnected, and not complete, like she just started writing and had no direction.
Thanks to author,publisher and NetGalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating i gave it.
Kelsey
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-work
Read and fell in love immediately. Sophie is so funny, talented, honest, thoughtful, and brave. Cannot wait for everyone to read this.
Dan Abromowitz
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I "many loved" it!!!!!
feathers
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Hannan C
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
P-Town has the greatest books. That’s all, thanks for coming to my TedTalk.

Seriously though, if you want to find a book with a non-traditional topic, you go to P-Town. It was in P-Town that I found Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory by Sophie Lucido Johnson. From both a scientific and a personal standpoint I’ve been interested in polyamory for some time (don’t message me, weirdos of the world. (I’m looking at you Jean.)). So you can bet your bottom dollar I’m going to read a book about it the fir
Amy
Jun 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Amy by: Justine
I enjoyed Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory and Finding Love, as a quick, light and easy read. However, I can't give it more than three stars because I didn't feel hooked to the story. It was interesting, but not captivating. On a positive note, the illustrations made the book go by faster, and definitely added a unique layer without making it feel like I was reading a comic book.

Also, and this may be more my fault than the book's, but I was expecting it to be more educational than anecdotal. Gi
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such an excellent take on love and relationships. It confirmed so much for this reader. Everyone loves differently. Having been in long monogamous relationships, complicated situationships and even married, I now know a single person cannot be everything and all for you. You receive love, even if it's platonic from all forms of friendships. Having been married and divorced I now realize the greatest loves have been my friendships. Every relationship has been a life lesson. Sophie did a phenomena ...more
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
Note: Top Shelf Text received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I'll admit, this book was a little out of my wheelhouse, but it came highly recommended and turned out to be a fascinating read. The author writes about her journey from failed monogamous relationships to discovering polamory and navigating the various facets of relationship anarchy. The memoir is written as though you're sitting down for coffee with a girlfriend, and it was so helpful and
Macklin R
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, romance, memoir
I wasn't quite as charmed by this as a lot of my friends were. I really could have done without the fact that almost all of the sexual encounters described in the book were with cis men, and somehow despite operating in the queer/poly scene in two major cities, the author doesn't mention a single trans person in their personal life, which I always find a little suspect.

That being said, the chapter on jealousy was truly fantastic. It was a great exploration on how to make peace with feelings of
Naomi Ruth
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really good read, very engaging. I didn't want to put it down! I especially loved her chapter "Just" "Friends" because I related to it. so. much. It really helped me understand my own relationship models. Also, love the concept of relationship anarchy and was happy that on one of the charts she included asexuals *happy smile* A wonderful read and very important one!
Lauren LaBorde
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even if you don't think you're interested in polyamory, this book will appeal to anyone who is tired of the rigid labels we've learned to assign to the "many loves" in our lives. I especially love how this book explores the close, complex relationships women have with their female friends. Part memoir, part graphic novel, part reported piece on alternate relationship models, "Many Love" is a fun, poignant, one-of-a-kind read.
Tabor
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
3 1/2 stars. I liked this and I think Johnson has an important message for all women not just those who are polyamory about loving yourself, wanting what is pleasurable and telling a man exactly what you need.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Mary Sue Book...: Many Love 1 5 Jun 10, 2018 09:21PM

• The Smart Girl's Guide to Polyamory: Everything You Need to Know About Open Relationships, Non-Monogamy, and Alternative Love
  • More Than Two: A Practical Guide to Ethical Polyamory
  • Open: Love, Sex, and Life in an Open Marriage
  • Love's Not Color Blind: Race and Representation in Polyamorous and Other Alternative Communities
  • Becoming Dangerous: Witchy Femmes, Queer Conjurers and Magical Rebels on Summoning the Power to Resist
  • Vanishing Twins: A Marriage
  • Sissy: A Coming-of-Gender Story
  • All the F*cking Mistakes: A Guide to Sex, Love, and Life
  • Crossplay
  • Pleasure Activism: The Politics of Feeling Good
  • Finding Jessica Lambert
  • Birth Without Fear: The Judgment-Free Guide to Taking Charge of Your Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Beyond the Gender Binary
  • Commute: An Illustrated Memoir of Female Shame
  • You Were Born for This: Astrology for Radical Self-Acceptance and Living Your Purpose
  • The Henna Wars