Start by marking “Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory and Finding Love(s)” as Want to Read:
Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory and Finding Love(s)

Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory and Finding Love(s)

In this bold, illustrated memoir, a young woman shares both a personal and sociological take on modern, “unconventional” love, exploring her own transformation from serial monogamist to proud polyamorist.

After trying for years to emulate the kind of relationship her parents had—married happily for forty years—Sophie Lucido Johnson realized that maybe the love she was looki
Published June 26th 2018 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Many Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Many Love

Jessica Woodbury
Recently I tried to read a novel about a couple that opens up their relationship. I couldn't do it. They were doing it all wrong, they were making terrible choices, they were setting themselves up for disaster, and it just kept bothering me that people would read this book and think that this was how nonmonogamy worked. I care about this because I've been nonmonogamous myself for the last few years and I've heard too many stories of people cheating on their spouses and then trying to excuse them ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I have friends in poly relationships and thought this book sounded interesting, a way to learn more. Most people will tell you to read The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities if you are interested in polyamory, but as this book's author explains, it really is focused on the sex part of polyamory, and to her, while sex is present it is not the point. (TES also serves as more of a how-to guide, and I wasn't interested for that reason, just curious how people who make it work act ...more
Janelle
Many thanks to Touchstone Books for providing my free copy of MANY LOVE by Sophie Lucido Johnson - all opinions are my own.

The great thing about reading memoirs is I get to learn something new or at least learn a new perspective, so I usually like to read a variety. MANY LOVE is an honest and refreshing take on love and relationships - I absolutely enjoyed it! It’s enlightening, evocative, witty, insightful, and fascinating!

Johnson is a clever writer and illustrator who brings to light how she w
lit.erary.britt
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, memoirs, nonfiction
This is part memoir, part explanation of the many ways polyamory can exist. Johnson writes candidly about relationships, inserting sketches that add to the narrative. She’s funny, talented, and thoughtful. I loved how the folks she didn’t want to name were referred to as Rory (a nod to Gilmore Girls). Though polyamory is not for me, I respect that it can work, and I appreciate Johnson putting herself out there.

PUB DATE: 6.26.18

Thanks, NetGalley!
Touchstone Books
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fresh, funny, original, and incredibly insightful about all relationships—polyamorous or otherwise.
Anna
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was (accidentally) a perfect companion read to the novel I just finished. Part memoir, part graphic novel with tons of research tossed in- it definitely was an entertaining read. The chapters are divided up almost topically, which for me made it a bit confusing since the life events she described throughout were not happening chronologically
Luke HoardeGalvan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book you should read this summer! A refreshing look at how love can work in 2018.
Andrienne
Another honest book about a person’s journey to find the right relationship fit. Love already has its complications so it just follows that a multiplication of it does not decrease the issues attached to it. She brings up jealousy, sex, friendships and offers distinctions from other relationship types.

Access to review copy provided by the publisher.
Lara Blackman
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A touching, sharp and witty look at polyamory through one young woman's journey - you'll laugh, cry, and think deeply about your own relationships, plus enjoy over 100 original illustrations. A truly great read :)
Kelsey
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-work
Read and fell in love immediately. Sophie is so funny, talented, honest, thoughtful, and brave. Cannot wait for everyone to read this.
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such an excellent take on love and relationships. It confirmed so much for this reader. Everyone loves differently. Having been in long monogamous relationships, complicated situationships and even married, I now know a single person cannot be everything and all for you. You receive love, even if it's platonic from all forms of friendships. Having been married and divorced I now realize the greatest loves have been my friendships. Every relationship has been a life lesson. Sophie did a phenomena ...more
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
Note: Top Shelf Text received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I'll admit, this book was a little out of my wheelhouse, but it came highly recommended and turned out to be a fascinating read. The author writes about her journey from failed monogamous relationships to discovering polamory and navigating the various facets of relationship anarchy. The memoir is written as though you're sitting down for coffee with a girlfriend, and it was so helpful and
Dan
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book quite a bit.

It's kind of written as an introduction to polyamory, and it's honestly not the best at being a comprehensive guide, but it is also actually really well-written and enjoyable to read, which just can't be said about a lot of the other books in this genre.

So I probably won't start recommending this as the go to nonmonogamy 101 text, but I am really glad I read it.

And there were definitely a few new ideas in it, and she really fleshes out some ideas that other people t
Danielle
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well, I gave this a quick read because it sounded like an interesting look at social and relationship dynamics that don't get written about very often but maybe I missed something. 'Married, heterosexual woman had some girl crushes in college and now has close, platonic female friends' doesn't sound all that new or interesting to me and, unless I missed a chapter or something, that's what this book seems to be about. It was also really disjointed which made it annoying to read.
Naomi Ruth
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: af, non-fict
This was a really good read, very engaging. I didn't want to put it down! I especially loved her chapter "Just" "Friends" because I related to it. so. much. It really helped me understand my own relationship models. Also, love the concept of relationship anarchy and was happy that on one of the charts she included asexuals *happy smile* A wonderful read and very important one!
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed her writing style and the illustrations were charming and relatable. An interesting look at all sorts of complicated things: love and friends and relationships and definitions and communication. Very outside my personal frame of reference and it has opened up a new way of thinking about myself and others.
Tabor
3 1/2 stars. I liked this and I think Johnson has an important message for all women not just those who are polyamory about loving yourself, wanting what is pleasurable and telling a man exactly what you need.
Kayo
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was all over the place. Felt disconnected, and not complete, like she just started writing and had no direction.
Thanks to author,publisher and NetGalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating i gave it.
Jilsann
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was my first reading experience concerning polyamory.

As much as I thought that it was completely fascinating; I would pay the tribute to the topic and not the writing.
In the very beginning, the author made multiple uses of a phrase that is just an absolute pet peeve of mine. The: "I am going to talk about this later". Ugh, why can't she just talk about that topic then and there? Or, if it didn't fit in the beginning, why couldn't she just leave the phrase out?

Furthermore, throughout
Lauren LaBorde
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even if you don't think you're interested in polyamory, this book will appeal to anyone who is tired of the rigid labels we've learned to assign to the "many loves" in our lives. I especially love how this book explores the close, complex relationships women have with their female friends. Part memoir, part graphic novel, part reported piece on alternate relationship models, "Many Love" is a fun, poignant, one-of-a-kind read.
Mike Hammer
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: shelfpocalypse
This was a fascinating book. It was by no means a definitive work on the subject of polyamory, but it was a neat exploration into how relationships are structured for different people.
Shana
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this book boring but I think a younger and straight reader with a prurient interest in the author’s non-traditional love life might find it more revelatory. I gave up after the chapter on how you can actually be friends with your exes. Wow, who knew?
Dan Abromowitz
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I "many loved" it!!!!!
Alice Lemon
This book was kind of interesting, but I'm also glad it was short enough that I could get through it quickly, because I wasn't that impressed. I kind of disliked the non-chronological style, and definitely disliked the mixture of random drawings and cartoons that seemed to contain important information but that it was hard for me to fit into the flow of the text.

As a polyamorous non-binary person who never dated or was sexual with anyone until they were 29, and who has only done so with other tr
Katie
Jul 05, 2018 added it
SOPHIE!!
Frank Jude
Sophie Lucido Johnson has written an entertaining and very personal memoir of her life journey from serial monogamy to married polyamory. I hope I've not ruined it for you because a marriage proposal was not what I was expecting. And for those who mistakenly think polyamory is all about sex it's telling that it's not from several chapters that sex enters into Johnson's narrative. What's intriguing is that it was the intensity of her emotional feelings for several of her women friends that led to ...more
Greta Stuhlsatz
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Greta by: Erin Stuhlsatz
Two of my favorite women in my life recommended this book to me. After reading the first chapter, I decided I needed to buy it because I will read it over and over and over again and I wanted to destroy it with my highlighter. Sophie perfectly provides so many words to so many of my feelings about love and many other areas of life.
A perfect example when discussing consent: "With all these people asking me if they could touch me or kiss me or hold me, I truly felt, for the first time in my entir
Carly
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
I really enjoy reading memoirs and part of that reason is because we get to learn about the personal experiences of others. I also love how their lives can be so different from our own, but we are still able to connect with their stories and relate in many ways.

Many Love is about Johnson's journey of love as she becomes polyamorous and learns to open her life to many loves. I have never considered polyamory as an option for me, but I know that there are so many different ways to love and we hav
Jai
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really started out liking this book, mostly it was because it was a "new" type of poly book. I liked that there were sketches to break up the monotony of the words in the page. It was all ok. Maybe I should give half a star for the sketches in the book...hmmm maybe.
I gave this book a rating of 2 stars because I didn't like the book. I didn't like how the author penned polyamory as a series of "hookups" then she's constantly jealous but wants to be polyamorous. As a poly woman I find this offen
Brookemower
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put it down because the story is superb, honest, funny. The authors vulnerability and writing style makes a great addictive page turner. It is such a relief to hear a woman’s story about love from such an original perspective. I have no predisposed reason to love this book (55 years old, happily monogamous etc) but as a feminist and reader, I am heartened to find a new voice. It turns out that Sophie has lots of insight about how all of us love and connect and define our relationships ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »