Start by marking “The Empath Experience: What to Do When You Feel Everything” as Want to Read:
The Empath Experience: What to Do When You Feel Everything

The Empath Experience: What to Do When You Feel Everything

Learn to lead an empowered life with this supportive and positive guide for those who are discovering their empath abilities and looking for information to help in understanding their gift, as well as how to embrace it and thrive in everyday life.

Maybe you find that being in a public place is totally overwhelming. Maybe you’ve noticed that your friends, loved ones, and eve
Published May 1st 2018 by Adams Media

To ask other readers questions about The Empath Experience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empath Experience

Start your review of The Empath Experience: What to Do When You Feel Everything
Shelley
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
If you are an empath, this book may help validate your experience and reassure you that you are not the only one. Unfortunately, most of the material is not grounded in the real world challenges. It is not as practical a book as the title implies. It doesn't really say much that is actually helpful nor much that I didn't already know from my own experience. The book makes it all seem simple and easier than it actually is.
Sille
Jul 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
It was such a challenge to read this book because it was so full of meaningless words and countless repetitions, nearly without any useful or practical information or tips. Maybe - but just maybe - you would benefit from it if it's your first time to hear about empaths, otherwise skip it.
Hannah Catherine
May 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
this was nothing other than an incredibly tone-deaf, repetitive, harmful, and uninformative self-promo for the authors "meditation retreats". the author includes her own experiences- a "lengthy stay" in Bali, hiring a life coach, Reiki sessions, meditation communities in New York City. she includes these experiences under the title, "self-care may not be easy for you at first". well, yeah. unless you're rich and have plenty of time.

perhaps the most tone-deaf page of the entire book is where she
Kirstie
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you are an empath or have an inkling you may be - please go get this book ASAP. I repeat, this is not a drill. GO GET THIS BOOK. No I have not fully read it but what I have has already completely blown me away. First off - I've never felt more understood as a human in my life. Sydney is an empath, she knows firsthand what we go through. She not only gives you insights you wish you had 10 years ago but she gives you tools to improve your life and help you onto your path.

If you don't label you
Jennie
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book, well above my expectations.

My sister and I have talked about this subject for years. It was very interesting to read it from someone's personal experience and researched subject.

There are several types of empaths, something that was new to me. Besides clear definitions of terms it also has much about self-care and meditation.

Highly recommended!
Bookworm Erica
Oct 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I couldn't do it. I intuitively knew I was about to punch myself in the face rather than finish this book .

1 star bc dnf

So many words and it took so long to even define an empath. Returned to library.
Erin Brophy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was exactly the book I needed as someone who is very sensitive. This book is a mantra (and includes some really beautiful ones). I would literally cry while reading this because I felt so heard and understood. (Again, I am very sensitive).
Brian Delrosario
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book isn't my usual reading. It's very feminine and feels very "New Age." My sister described me as an empath and suggested I look into it. So I did. Sydney Campos has an impressive list of accomplishments as an entrepreneur and "digital nomad." And I admire that. On one of her main topics of "self-love," if you interpret that instead as "personal responsibility" as it relates to growth, I think we could all connect with that.
jess  (bibliophilicjester)
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 09-one-star
a more accurate title:
my empath experience: finding healing through spirituality, meditation, and introspection

you'll probably like this book if:

- you cope with being an empath in unhealthy ways.
- you hate yourself.
- you've never kept a journal or been an introspective sort of human.
- your number one desire in life is to be accepted and to fit in.
- the way other people see you and how much they like you is VERY important to you.
- your personality type (MBTI) has F instead of T.
- you love memo
Alexandra
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I guess I should have looked into books about Highly sensitive people. This one was a little too metaphysical for my taste.
Erin
Jul 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I sincerely appreciated the context and reframe around past experiences under the framework of being an empath. It was great to feel seen and understood. What proved tricky was in writing a book on empaths (who apparently appreciate nuance) the content was a bit binary. You were either one way or another. And once you reached some semblance of an uplevel you become "impenetrable," "fully in control", and some things fall away never to be seen again. What isn't appreciated is that we live in a wo ...more
Justine Martin
A good read for someone pretty green

This was all good advice and information, however, it felt more like a letter to the authors younger self than a real piece of groundbreaking info. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the book and it's advice, but most if the guidance and instructions given I already knew. Most people who get to this point have already discovered there is something different about them and that is why they are seeking answers. Maybe I am a little further in my journey than mo
Ryn
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lifestyle
As a developing empath who only really started embracing and examining my gift, this book fulfills its intended purpose: empowering people discovering they're empaths, and giving them information about emapthy while teaching them ways to navigate this new awareness about themselves. It also highlights the book's weakness - in trying to empower readers and showing they are not alone in their experiences, the author tends to repeat stories of their own experiences before learning to properly cope ...more
Bill Murray
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who's an empath.
Shelves: bill-s-books
If you consider yourself sensitive to the world around you, read this book. If you're an Empath, read this book. Reading this book really helped me understand myself a bit more. Explaining why empaths experience the emotions they do and what to do when they have these emotions. The Empath Experience teaches you how to put up a barrier between your happiness and the sometimes troubling world we live in. It offers helpful meditations and activities for the Empath. This book also inspires creativit ...more
Lexee Klamer
Nov 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was extremely frustrating to read and I DNF. The author would start a section and basically explain what something was, then before going deeper she would move on. It was all extremely repetitive and felt more like a memoir or like the author was writing to herself. I couldn't relate to most of what she was saying, it was like she assumed that as an empath herself her path was naturally the only one. For example, I like being alone and in the book she constantly talked about how to be alone ...more
Katie Hedgepeth
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good overview of the empath experience and how to navigate it. Positive and affirming. I would’ve liked more details about how to shield and cleanse your energy, though I think the only way to really understand that is to just do it. The instructions for those exercises were good though. Good book if you have a little knowledge of empaths and want more.
Queonna White
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
To be honest, I didn’t finish the book 😬 If you know who you are, how you interact with different personalities and you’re in tuned with your feelings, this book is not for you. You already know you’re an empath, you just didn’t know that “empath” was the term to describe you. I hope that makes sense to you...lol. I would recommend this book for young adolescents.
skullrsm
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The book guide me to understand more about myself — how to control my feelings, thoughts so I’ll not absorb all of my surroundings experience which I LOVE IT 💛 Yet, there’s so many exercises to do while you’re reading the book and it will interfere yr concentration. Personally fr me, it would be nice if the reading and exercises divided to two parts.
Vanessa
Jan 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fail, psych
Mehhhhhhhhhhh *breathes* ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Broad brush; little depth. Poor learning design. Has a don't-trust-science-or-rules-except-mine vibe. Was especially flabbergasted at the dismissal of psych counselors. White gaze on Eastern thought common in the genre. Ableist.

It was validating to read about another empath existing, but other than that...
Heather
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
This took me well over a year to finish... incredible.
I wasn't impressed, which is rather unfortunate. I'm not sure what I was truly looking for in a book about being an empath, but this did not meet whatever standards I seem to have set.
There were a few ideas that struck me as gold, but overall I felt let down by this.
Neo
Um yeah no. Literally a book about someone who had trouble with drinking as a young adult, discovered energy healing therapies, woke up and moved to Bali.

The book is basically a shell to be filled. Self care tips without actually going deep into anything, not explaining anything, and simply repeating how you are SO READY. Ugh.

Bonus minuses for harmful use of terms trigger and tribe.
Kat
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full of advice and strategies to use while navigating daily life as an empath and empathetic person; highly recommend taking time to do some of the activities while you read the book to soak in all the healing.
Sufia
Nov 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Not the best book about highly sensitive people and empath. a lot of it is full of non-scientific stuff and a lot of things that doesnt make sense. i wouldn't recommend anyone to read this book. there are better books about empath and hsp out there.
Jessica Buck
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this. Skipped the exercises most of the time.
Lee
Meh. I'll have to revisit this book sometime later.
Kaye
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, read-in-2018
Useful in terms of validating your experiences if you are a person who takes in too much or finds too many activities overwhelming, but lacks practical advice.
Rae
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mindfulness, 2019
Enlightening and useful as a jumping-off point. I gleaned what I needed from it.
Adam Griffin
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read. I believe how much you receive from this book is really about where you are in your journey.
Dana
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read! Whether you are an empath or not this book provides information to help all people live a more fulfilling life and enhance self-care practices.
Joey
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The book was repetitive. But I liked some of the rituals and boundaries that they repeated

• The Empath's Survival Guide: Life Strategies for Sensitive People
  • All New Square Foot Gardening
  • The Unseen Realm
  • Psychopath Free: Recovering from Emotionally Abusive Relationships With Narcissists, Sociopaths, and Other Toxic People
  • Dodging Energy Vampires: An Empath’s Guide to Evading Relationships That Drain You and Restoring Your Health and Power
  • The 30-Day Money Cleanse: Take Control of Your Finances, Manage Your Spending, and De-Stress Your Money for Good
  • Clearing Emotional Clutter: Mindfulness Practices for Letting Go of What's Blocking Your Fulfillment and Transformation
  • Everything Is Figureoutable
  • The Meaning of Life
  • Never Learn Anything From History
  • Chakra Project
  • Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic's Guide to Growth and Fulfillment
  • Archetypes: Who Are You?
  • The Birthday Girl
  • Atomic Attraction: The Psychology of Attraction
  • Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
  • Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness
  • The Magic of Manifesting: 15 Advanced Techniques To Attract Your Best Life, Even If You Think It's Impossible Now

News & Interviews

“IT’S YOUR NATURE TO WANT TO HELP AND SUPPORT OTHERS. To be the light when there seems to be an omnipotent darkness. To feel what everyone is feeling and naturally seek to manage the collective energy in such a way that you help everyone feel more comfortable, to simply be.” 0 likes