Start by marking “The Unsound” as Want to Read:
The Unsound

The Unsound

A surreal horror story, following a young nurse who is caught in the middle of a strange supernatural conspiracy on her first day working for Saint Cascia Psychiatric Hospital.

IS THERE SUCH A THING AS SANITY?

Ever since she was little, all Ashli wanted was to help people. It’s why she went to nursing school, and it’s why she signed up for the vacant
Published May 15th 2018 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about The Unsound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unsound

Chad
Nov 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
Labeled as horror, but in reality it was just a bunch of nonsense. I think Bunn was going for a descent into madness type story as the nurses and inmates try to escape the sanitarium through the unused depths of the hospital. The whole thing just felt like lot of bunk to me. Monkeys typing on a typewriter could have delivered just as much "horror" as this comic. Jack T. Cole's art was reminiscent of Kevin O'Neill's. Some panels just looked like a bunch of squiggles; I didn't know what I was look ...more
Brittney
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
This was my first foray into the world of graphic novels. I picked up this one because it was described as a true horror story and I just couldn’t resist a scary story matched with art.

Unfortunately, the story fell flat for me. I never got invested in the characters because the story felt rushed. I also felt like the it was kind of all over the place, like I almost understood what they were trying to say but they could have done it better. Maybe a longer graphic novel would have accomplished th
Derek Royal
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I was intrigued by this book, and it's a good -- the kind of horror I've come to expect from Bunn -- but by the time I got to the end, I could help but think that this was the beginning of a "thicker" narrative. There seemed to be a larger mythos underlying this story. But the details of that mythos just isn't there.
Jonah
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intriguing, compelling and intense; the artwork dutifully represents the grim and shaky profundity of the deeper questions inherent in the journey it details.
Craig
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Story was a little under-developed, but the artwork wasn't bad.
Adam Stone
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you enjoy horror books for their randomness, and how there is no real narrative logic to anything, just a general aura of creepiness, then this might be a book for you. Events happen because horror. You eventually learn the reason why the protagonist is involved because the story needed an ending.

It's not really fun. There's no reason to like or dislike any of the characters, as they're all just plot devices to move you to the next scene. The maybe(?) antagonist is supposed to loo
Christoph
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Die Film- und Fernsehwelt der Gegenwart ist gut gefüllt mit gut (bis sehr gut) erzählten Horrorgeschichten. Der Einsatz von digitalen Hilfsmitteln fördert die Entführung und surreale Welten ungemein und überholt damit die früheren Produktionen zum Teil. Verloren ging jedoch das Erzählen einer emotionell packenden Geschichte. Das Medium Comics hatte schon seit Bestehen hier einen Vorteil, grafisch ist alles möglich und charakterlich ist man nicht von Schauspielern abhängig. Die neue Serie "The Un ...more
Emilie
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I feel likes this would be more appropriate as an art portfolio.
If the author wanted a narrative, it deserves/needs more storytelling. It needs arch, development- not just random twists with characters I don't even know. I just finished reading this but cannot tell you any names, places, or the major plot other than they get stuck in an alternative dimension.
art wise, I thought it was an interesting color palette and style. I could see consistencies such as using human bodies for arc
Dan
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent immersive read, I found myself re-reading each chapter because I was so eager to find out what happened that I rushed. It's a surreal journey through extreme mental illness from several perspectives. There are touches of the stereotypical eye-rolling insane asylum "What's your dark secret?" and "Who's the REAL patient?" plot hooks, but the story goes much much deeper and does not rely heavily on tropes. The art really captures the feeling of madness that prevails throughout the story; ...more
Connie
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! The art is really dark and violent, as is the plot. Having the setting be a mental hospital was certainly an interesting choice, it really sets the tone and I like the crossover into this very original fantasy-esque realm. The whole explanation was pretty easy to follow, in my opinion; I think it was handled really well and only made me love this more. I wouldn't describe the treatment of mental illness as great, but it was certainly interesting to read. I very much enjoye ...more
Darcy Roar
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics
Creepy and bleak (though that seems to be the point). I really liked the color shifts & the weird mythology of the world, but it's like we've dipped a pinky-toe into the world rather than gotten a full introduction. It has a good feel though with the strange archetypes and blurred reality, like a more madness version of the dreaming invented by someone who really likes green. It catches you up quite well, would recommend for horror/fantasy fans (especially those more interested in worlds tha ...more
Ethan
Sep 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I gave this a shot because I’m starting to look for horror early this year, but it wasn’t really worth it. Aside from the general premise being over played (a psychiatric hospital with mysterious and possibly evil things going on), it didn’t really do anything interesting with that premise, and it stretches what should have been three issues worth of story into six. In the end, I was pretty disappointed by this, especially since I enjoy Bunn’s Cold Spots.
Imogene
I’m actually marking this one down a little because it’s only a single volume. I wish it could have been a longer running series that explored its themes more thoroughly.

I mean, I love an anthropomorphic personification, or maybe some kind of god or monster, or maybe a hallucination?

I’m going with the idea that belief creates the thing, and the thing creates belief, and it all cycles together. Of course, this is an asylum......
Lindsay
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, pretty enjoyable if you're into the psychedelic skewed version of reality that makes you doubt your own sanity. I especially enjoyed the artwork. I am a little annoyed that there isn't more, though. It feels a little shallow as far as the plot goes, with a lot left unexplored. There could easily be further volumes, so to leave it so incomplete feels a little... disappointing.

Maybe one day Bunn will decide to delve back in. If that happens, count me in.
Jamie Connolly
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Better than I thought it would be for sure. Different take on a common plot. Well conceived too. A lot of the art was hit or miss I thought. But some of the frames, and especially the covers, were downright superb. I would have liked it if the last quarter of the book was longer and went more in-depth. You’ll see what I mean. I could easily be more critical of this book but I like everything I read. 4 stars.
Rebecca
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Really cool visuals. It’s very similar to legion and American horror story asylum. So kind of the standard psychological horror in a mental hospital setting but I like that stuff so I dig this graphic novel. 3.5 stars
Raquel
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting read. Had a surreal premise that bordered on being too corky while still trying to throw in a “message”. Was definitely a page turner, mainly because I was trying to figure out what was going on.
Eric
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. This was a cool idea, but the series rapidly went way downhill. The art was pretty forgettable too, despite the occasional flavor of surreality.
Ben
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark book about a girl who stumbles into mental institute and feels like she does / not belong there. Liked the character Xerxes who wears a paper mask.
Kate
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, ebook, comics
I really liked this. Creepy!
Julia
This one needed work. The story was lacking and the artwork was not my favorite. This could have been a lot better with a bit more tweaking of the story. It was confusing and lacking in places.
Craig
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I get what it was trying to do, and it looks great. But there was just something missing. Likely it was an investment in the characters, all of whom seemed disposable.
Grant Laird
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting.
Pixelina
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
It took me 4 months to finish this one. I read the first chapter back in october and just lost the will to finish it until today.
It just felt a bit scattered.
Brian
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously creepy. What is real and what isn't?
k
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5? there wasn't really a plot, and not in a good way. a big shrug of a book. i liked the art tho
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
That was something...
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Ashlie starts her job at Saint Cascia Psychiatric Hospital and immediately triggers weirdness and riots. (view spoiler) ...more
Ashley
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
read #1-6 in one sitting and absolutely love it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Cullen grew up in rural North Carolina, but now lives in the St. Louis area with his wife Cindy and his son Jackson. His noir/horror comic (and first collaboration with Brian Hurtt), The Damned, was published in 2007 by Oni Press. The follow-up, The Damned: Prodigal Sons, was released in 2008. In addition to The Sixth Gun, his current projects include Crooked Hills, a middle reader horror prose se ...more