Start by marking “Fence, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Fence, Vol. 1

Fence, Vol. 1

(Fence #1-4)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  12,359 ratings  ·  2,045 reviews
An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Combines Issues #1-4.

Nicholas, the illegitimate son of a retired fencing champion, is a scrappy fencing wunderkind, and dreams of getting the chance and the training to actually compete. After getting accepted to the prodigious Kings Row private school, Nicholas is thrust into a cut-throat world, and finds himself facing not
Published July 31st 2018 by BOOM! Box (first published April 11th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Fence, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Karla The students of this particular all-fencing-boys boarding school seem more or less all to be queer. So yes, even though those stats do not make the st…moreThe students of this particular all-fencing-boys boarding school seem more or less all to be queer. So yes, even though those stats do not make the story overly realistic (because really? What happened to the 10%?) the lgbt tag is righteous.(less)
Janneke Fence vol. 2 is a continuation of vol. 1 and not a recap. But the volumes are made up of different issues. Vol.1 being issues #1-4 and Vol.2 being #5-…moreFence vol. 2 is a continuation of vol. 1 and not a recap. But the volumes are made up of different issues. Vol.1 being issues #1-4 and Vol.2 being #5-8, so maybe you accidentally got issue 2 instead of volume 2?(less)

·  12,359 ratings  ·  2,045 reviews

Start your review of Fence, Vol. 1
Melanie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: Silvia

Friends, I love this story, this art, and these characters with the sum of my being. This is such a diverse cast, from sexuality (seriously, I think everyone is queer), to race, from social and economic backgrounds, to different family dynamics; there is so much to love about Fence. Like, C.S. Pacat’s writing and Johanna the Mad’s art is honestly a match made in Heaven, and these four issues were absolutely perfection.

Fence surrounds a boy’s boarding school, where many of the students are tryin
Emily May
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels
I just finished Fence, Vol. 3 and I need more!

These books are so addicting. I'm not even sure exactly why, though I suspect all the cute boys have a little something to do with it 😂. But I resisted this book for so long because I have zero interest in sports. Less than zero. When someone puts sports on the TV, I can immediately feel my mind turning to mush. Maybe it is because I suck so bad at anything that requires coordination, I don't know, but I avoid any book/movie/tv show about any kind of
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Shelves: queer, favorites
HELLO I LOVED THIS WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY SOUL I CANNOT BELIEVE I PUT THIS OFF FOR SO LONG
Mary S. R.
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LGBT+ YA contemporary fans
In this fun and queer young adult contemporary comic series, you’ll be treated to ⤵

A chemical and explosive enemies-to-still-getting-there gay romance between two teen fencers who want to throttle each other. There is building tension, deliciously taut; there is petty rivalry, childishly entertaining; and there is sports—oh yes there is sports with stressful competition and tragic heartbreak and whatevernot.

Lots and lots of casual, delightful queerness and diversity—from bi boys and gay
Anne
I kept seeing this pop up in my feed with people gushing over it, but I was like... angsty high school boys fencing? Hmmm. I don't see how that would be something I'd like.

description

And it turns out my gut feeling was correct.
I thought it was silly and weird.
But maybe that's because I don't know much about fencing?

description

I don't think so, though. It was a bunch of dramatic sports shit, and that's never been my bag.
BUT. A lot of people loved this, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
*gasp* and they were roommates
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Vol. 1 ★★★★★
Vol. 2 ★★★★★
Vol. 3 ???

Please, universe, if you're listening, don't ever let C.S. Pacat stop writing amazing queer stories. ♥

Seriously, though, I knew I would adore this and I was right. Pacat is an absolutely wonderful writer who is so proficient at scripting these lovable (or hate-able) characters and storylines. I was interested to see how she'd handle a contemporary sports-based plotline, with how vastly different it is from the Captive Prince series I cherish so dearly, but she
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
Amazing characters with an amazing plot.
Sam Quixote
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Fencing: a sport nobody cares about for a reason - it boring! Does Fence make me like it any more? Nuh to the uh uh!

Cliched underdog protagonist from a poor family gets scholarship to posh gay boarding school obsessed with fencing (those very specific and conveniently very acceptable for our current ultra-sensitive political climate places exist apparently!). He take on rivalries with upper class fencing champions! He might win! But not for now! Gawd awmighty shoot me please…

It’s like a kid’s
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfection. Gimme more☝️
Calista
I love that graphic novels are taking us into these more unknown sports like figure skating and now fencing. It's an interesting world with their own social order. The story is centered around Nicholas who is an underprivileged kid who joins a fencing team on scholarship. He traded free work for free lessons from a guy who saw potential.

He gets to the boarding school and the interesting thing is most of the guys seem to be at least bi if not gay. I find it funny and at least interesting. I woul
Marzuqa
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Now wasn’t that just CUTE?!! I loved this so so much. Super fun and hilarious and adorable. Gonna need more.
Maria ☾ ⋆
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
Wow such a beautiful, fun and exciting comic with cute characters! I couldn't stop reading it I just wanted to know what's going to happen next; so right now I'm going to start vol 2. actually I don't have any interest in sports but this comic Changed my mind and I thought with myself I should try more sports sometimes. I love seiji and Nicholas and their relationship so much (their friendship remind me of Simon and Baz.)
Maryam🌻
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
so entertaining!! i’m gonna binge the rest👀😁
Dave Schaafsma
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-sports, gn-ya, gn-glbt
I had not expected to like this first volume of a comics series about all-boys high school fencing, but I did, a lot. I do like sports, but know nothing about fencing, and the only reason I read it is because it is one of the 2018 Goodreads award nominees for graphic novels/comics. Then, to top it off, it is a story of 1) all boys (how revolutionary, in a time of Monstress, Bitch Planet, and so many girl-centric comics! With one exception: a woman coach, who is awesome!)); 2) rich, privileged bo ...more
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

A compelling start encompassing the first 4 comics in this series, where newbie fencer Nicholas, has so much to prove and everything to lose.

The enemies to lovers vibe between him and his rival Seiji, has barely just begun.
Mir
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, graphic, ya
This was really well done, although I would have liked it longer so that I could have gotten all the kids and their personalities straight in my head. Also, then they could actually have gone to class instead of just fencing practice, which would lend some balance (maybe this was to emphasize the teens lack of proportion in their own attitudes, although usually grades are an issue for student athletes, so it would make sense to include some academics).

Btw, Australian friends, is fencing a big de
Christy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I loved the first 4 chapters of Fence. The art was great, the story line was interesting, and all the boys were so dang cute. I can't wait to read more!
Chad
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, ircb-2019
A sports manga filled with every sports cliche you can imagine. Younger readers will probably enjoy this though. The only thing I took from it is that I'll know what I'm looking at the next time fencing is on TV during the Olympics. In fact I learned more than I ever wanted to know about fencing.

This is the traditional, poor underdog with natural skills and a chip on his shoulder tries to beat the rich kids to succeed. It moves at a snail's pace. When they were fighting, I couldn't tell what wa
Sean Gibson
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
How you know you’ve stumbled into YA land: here we have an entire story about fencing, including unrequited pining and love triangles at an all-boys school, and not a single double-entendre to be found. Still, this is a fun, mangaesque quest to be the very best (as my buddy reading partner Sara would note, it’s got a lot of Pokemon DNA) that goes down easy.

(And no, that wasn’t a double entendre; it’s just so hard NOT to make them that it’s inexplicable to me how the creators managed to avoid it
Larry H
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who knew there could be this much drama in fencing?

Nicholas dreams of becoming a fencing champion. Despite natural ability, he’s never had the opportunity to train properly or learn the right skills and strategies to succeed, but the fire of his determination fuels him on.

When he encounters teen sensation Seiji Katayama, he longs to make his mark so that the champion will notice his talent, but the match doesn’t go well, and Seiji dismisses him as a zero.

The two meet up again when Nicholas gets
— nova
Actual rating: 4.5/5 stars ✨

I'm obsessed with this series. No, seriously, when a new issue comes out I check Hoopla every single day, sometimes multiple times a day, to see if it's been added. It's no surprise really seeing as C.S. Pacat's Captive Prince trilogy is one of my favorite trilogies of all time. I'm also obsessed with sports anime and manga, and sports in general.

This series has everything I love and the characters are so well thought out and written. The art is gorgeous and perfect
Riley
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay I have been very skeptical about this ever since the first issue came out because I absolutely hated Captive Prince by this author.

But I kept seeing friends and reviewers I trusted love this so I decided to give it a try and w o w. I think I found potentially a new favorite comic series. I stayed up all night reading all the available issues of this. I'm also not super into sports things but something about this just works for me and I loved every page.
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
“fencing the way you usually do becomes more difficult the more desperate you get.”

i just picked this up on a whim, because i remembered everyone talking about it and loving it a few months ago. so i might be late to the game, but at least i’m here now!

lorddd, nicholas. how i would die for this boy. he’s so sweet and precious and hardworking and just deserves the best in the world. we got to know the other boys at the school as well, so i can’t wait to go more in depth about their characters
Kiki
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can I say? I'm a C.S. Pacat stan and that hasn't changed. I will always love and support my wife in all of her creative endeavours.

Jokes aside, this is a great start to a new series, somewhat reminiscent of Check Please! but with a harder edge. I knocked off a star only because... Well, I'm not sure. It just didn't blow me away.

That said, I know I'm going to enjoy future instalments of this. I can feel it in my bones. Brb, reading Volume 2.
tappkalina
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can I just say the art style is so beautiful I almost fell off my chair when I opened my copy?
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
~and they were roommates~
andrea ✨
pretty entertaining! love the art style and the slowburn.
ash | novelly rooted
C.S. PACAT OUT THERE CREATING MAGIC
Alice (Married To Books)
Think I've found a new reading obsession: The Fence Comic series! I absolutely adored it, loved the illustrations and how quick the pacing was. Nicholas is a fencer, that wins a fencing scholarship to a top private school where he aims to become a successful fencer. It's LGBTQIA+, fun and... The positives can go on and on for hours. Pick this one up!

Re-read October 2019: I still love this series hands down! It's one of my favourites and something I always recommend to others who are looking into

• Fence: Striking Distance
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey
  • Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Bloom
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio
  • Nick and Charlie
  • Heartstopper: The Mini-Comics
  • Mooncakes
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Cemetery Boys
C.S. Pacat is a Melbourne writer. Her first series the Captive Prince trilogy began its life as an original web serial. Self-published in 2013 to critical and commercial success and acclaim, the Captive Prince trilogy was acquired by Penguin, and will be published worldwide in 2015.

Fence (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Fence #1 (Fence, #1)