Start by marking “Fence, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Fence, Vol. 1

Fence, Vol. 1

(Fence #1-4)

An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Combines Issues #1-4.

Nicholas Cox is determined to prove himself in the world of competitive fencing, and earn his place alongside fencing legends like the dad he never knew, but things get more complicated when he’s up against his golden-boy half-brother, as well as sullen fencing prodigy, Seiji Katayama.

Nicholas, the illegi
Published July 31st 2018 by BOOM! Box (first published April 11th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Fence, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Karla The students of this particular all-fencing-boys boarding school seem more or less all to be queer. So yes, even though those stats do not make the…moreThe students of this particular all-fencing-boys boarding school seem more or less all to be queer. So yes, even though those stats do not make the story overly realistic (because really? What happened to the 10%?) the lgbt tag is righteous.(less)

Melanie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: ⚔ Silvia ⚓

Friends, I love this story, this art, and these characters with the sum of my being. This is such a diverse cast, from sexuality (seriously, I think everyone is queer), to race, from social and economic backgrounds, to different family dynamics; there is so much to love about Fence. Like, C.S. Pacat’s writing and Johanna the Mad’s art is honestly a match made in Heaven, and these four issues were absolutely perfection.

Fence surrounds a boy’s boarding school, where many of the students are tryin
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
HELLO I LOVED THIS WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY SOUL I CANNOT BELIEVE I PUT THIS OFF FOR SO LONG
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Vol. 1 ★★★★★
Vol. 2 ★★★★★
Vol. 3 ???

Please, universe, if you're listening, don't ever let C.S. Pacat stop writing amazing queer stories. ♥

Seriously, though, I knew I would adore this and I was right. Pacat is an absolutely wonderful writer who is so proficient at scripting these lovable (or hate-able) characters and storylines. I was interested to see how she'd handle a contemporary sports-based plotline, with how vastly different it is from the Captive Prince series I cherish so dearly, but she
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
Amazing characters with an amazing plot.
Sam Quixote
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Fencing: a sport nobody cares about for a reason - it boring! Does Fence make me like it any more? Nuh to the uh uh!

Cliched underdog protagonist from a poor family gets scholarship to posh gay boarding school obsessed with fencing (those very specific and conveniently very acceptable for our current ultra-sensitive political climate places exist apparently!). He take on rivalries with upper class fencing champions! He might win! But not for now! Gawd awmighty shoot me please…

It’s like a kid’s
Liv (Stories For Coffee)
*gasp* and they were roommates
Calista
I love that graphic novels are taking us into these more unknown sports like figure skating and now fencing. It's an interesting world with their own social order. The story is centered around Nicholas who is an underprivileged kid who joins a fencing team on scholarship. He traded free work for free lessons from a guy who saw potential.

He gets to the boarding school and the interesting thing is most of the guys seem to be at least bi if not gay. I find it funny and at least interesting. I woul
David Schaafsma
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-sports, gn-glbt, gn-ya
I had not expected to like this first volume of a comics series about all-boys high school fencing, but I did, a lot. I do like sports, but know nothing about fencing, and the only reason I read it is because it is one of the 2018 Goodreads award nominees for graphic novels/comics. Then, to top it off, it is a story of 1) all boys (how revolutionary, in a time of Monstress, Bitch Planet, and so many girl-centric comics! With one exception: a woman coach, who is awesome!)); 2) rich, privileged bo ...more
Mir
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, school, ya
This was really well done, although I would have liked it longer so that I could have gotten all the kids and their personalities straight in my head. Also, then they could actually have gone to class instead of just fencing practice, which would lend some balance (maybe this was to emphasize the teens lack of proportion in their own attitudes, although usually grades are an issue for student athletes, so it would make sense to include some academics).

Btw, Australian friends, is fencing a big de
Christy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I loved the first 4 chapters of Fence. The art was great, the story line was interesting, and all the boys were so dang cute. I can't wait to read more!
Emily May
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels
I just finished Fence, Vol. 3 and I need more!

These books are so addicting. I'm not even sure exactly why, though I suspect all the cute boys have a little something to do with it 😂. But I resisted this book for so long because I have zero interest in sports. Less than zero. When someone puts sports on the TV, I can immediately feel my mind turning to mush. Maybe it is because I suck so bad at anything that requires coordination, I don't know, but I avoid any book/movie/tv show about any kind of
Riley
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay I have been very skeptical about this ever since the first issue came out because I absolutely hated Captive Prince by this author.

But I kept seeing friends and reviewers I trusted love this so I decided to give it a try and w o w. I think I found potentially a new favorite comic series. I stayed up all night reading all the available issues of this. I'm also not super into sports things but something about this just works for me and I loved every page.
andrea 🥀✨
pretty entertaining! love the art style and the slowburn.
Kiki
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can I say? I'm a C.S. Pacat stan and that hasn't changed. I will always love and support my wife in all of her creative endeavours.

Jokes aside, this is a great start to a new series, somewhat reminiscent of Check Please! but with a harder edge. I knocked off a star only because... Well, I'm not sure. It just didn't blow me away.

That said, I know I'm going to enjoy future instalments of this. I can feel it in my bones. Brb, reading Volume 2.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Got my early copy from a comic book store, and oh my gosh I adored it so much! Loved the diversity, the artwork, the competitiveness between the fencing team and to learn more about fencing. Nicholas is such a sweet cinnamon roll and I can't wait to be drawn into his character arc, as he is determined to overcome the arrogant champion Seiji. Great to see a bisexual character here, gender fluidity integrated into the story.

I can't wait to see what's next!
Tatiana
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tatiana by: Catie
Shelves: ya, 2019, graphic-novels
Oh, I see why this is so popular. Everyone in this comic book is incredibly good looking, with awesome hair. (Well, except in those pictures where they don't have noses for some reason). I'll read more.

nova ryder ☼
Actual rating: 4.5/5 stars ✨

I'm obsessed with this series. No, seriously, when a new issue comes out I check Hoopla every single day, sometimes multiple times a day, to see if it's been added. It's no surprise really seeing as C.S. Pacat's Captive Prince trilogy is one of my favorite trilogies of all time. I'm also obsessed with sports anime and manga, and sports in general.

This series has everything I love and the characters are so well thought out and written. The art is gorgeous and perfect
Lost in Book Land
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome Back!

I am going to admit right now from the very start that I should not have waited this long to read Fence because OMG I love this precious little gem and I can not wait to read more. So when I decided to read a few new graphic novels after finishing Saga I picked the first volume of Fence off Hoopla. I had heard a few good things about it from other Booktubers and reviewers but I had never really looked much into it. So I checked volume one out on my Hoopla account and feel deeply in
Connor
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books, lgbt
I'm not seeing what many people are so enthralled with, but perhaps that changes in the next volume?
Tricia Levenseller
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was amazing. The art is simply fantastic, and the writing is A+. I loved the real and raw characters and the humor! This one has a slow burn romance that just might kill me.
Kara
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018, comics
I like that everyone's gay.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Think I've found a new reading obsession: The Fence Comic series! I absolutely adored it, loved the illustrations and how quick the pacing was. Nicholas is a fencer, that wins a fencing scholarship to a top private school where he aims to become a successful fencer. It's LGBTQIA+, fun and... The positives can go on and on for hours. Pick this one up!
Laura (bbliophile)
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have no idea why I'm such a sucker for sport-related comics, but I am.
zee reads
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: this-is-lgbtq, 4-star
this whole volume is just the graphic novel version of "and they were roommates, ᵒʰ ᵐʸ ᵍᵒᵈ ᵗʰᵉʸ ʷᵉʳᵉ ʳᵒᵒᵐᵐᵃᵗᵉˢ" and i just love that ...more
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*

Hi, wow, I understand the hype now.
Ashley
What was that and give me the rest right now.

I've been looking forward to reading this because even from the summary I could tell I was going to enjoy it, and also I loved C.S. Pacat's Captive Prince trilogy. But I don't think I was quite prepared for just how much fun I would have with this comic/manga hybrid (it was written with many of the techniques and tropes common in manga, even though pretty much everything else about it is western).

Like, that five stars is mine alone. You may very well
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Reading this one on a whim. Here's hoping it's good! Did any of you enjoy it?

Image result for fence vol. 1
Acqua
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Fence is a contemporary comic series following Nicholas Cox, a fencer at an all-boys boarding school, as he attempts to get into the fencing team.

This first volume was made up of the first four issues, which is probably the main reason I’m struggling to write this review – it felt very much like an introduction, one that ends on a cliffhanger, so I can’t say much about the characters, their arcs or how their rivalries, friendships or possible relationships seem to be developing. It’s just a begi
Sarah✨
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg this was so good !

Literally was like 5 pages in and started squealing. I love the artwork, the characters and the diversity.

I NEED MORE !!!

5/5 stars !!

• The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • Motor Crush, Vol. 2
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
  • Hanayome wa Motodanshi
  • Taproot
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 2: Agents of G.I.R.L.
  • Ladycastle
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1
  • Bingo Love
  • Luisa: Ici et là
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 9: Teenage Wasteland
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • La generazione
  • Another Castle: Grimoire
C.S. Pacat is a Melbourne writer. Her first series the Captive Prince trilogy began its life as an original web serial. Self-published in 2013 to critical and commercial success and acclaim, the Captive Prince trilogy was acquired by Penguin, and will be published worldwide in 2015.

Fence (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Fence #1 (Fence, #1)