Jump to ratings and reviews

The Ever After

In this intricate and enthralling domestic drama, perfect for fans of Big Little Lies and The Affair, the internationally bestselling author of the “gossipy page-turner” (Glamour) The Perfect Neighbors goes deep into a marriage in crisis, peeling back layers of secrets to discover where the relationship veered off course—and whether it is worth saving.

Josie and Frank Moore are happy…at least Josie thinks they are. As parents of two young girls in the Chicago suburbs, their days can be both busy and monotonous, and sometimes Josie wonders how she became a harried fortysomething mother rather than the driven career woman she once was. But Frank is a phenomenal father, he’s handsome and charismatic, and he still looks at his wife like she’s the beautiful woman he married more than a decade ago. Josie isn’t just happy—she’s lucky.

Until one Saturday morning when Josie borrows her husband’s phone to make a quick call—and sees nine words that shatter her world.

Now Josie feels as if she is standing at the edge of a sharp precipice. As she looks back at pivotal moments in the relationship she believed would last forever, she is also plunging ahead, surprising everyone (especially herself) with how far she will go to uncover the extent of her husband’s devastating secret.

With her “conversational writing style and a knack for making readers care about her characters” (The Washington Post) bestselling author Sarah Pekkanen paints a vivid, kaleidoscopic portrait of a marriage before and during a crisis—and of a woman who fears that the biggest secret of all may be the one she’s hiding from herself.

272 pages, Paperback

First published June 5, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Pekkanen

26 books4,072 followers
I'm the New York Times bestselling author of the upcoming thriller GONE TONIGHT, which Colleen Hoover hails as, "Riveting, original and powerful" and Harlen Coben raves is "Jaw-dropping... A wild ride." I'm also the coauthor of four bestselling thrillers: THE GOLDEN COUPLE, THE WIFE BETWEEN US, AN ANONYMOUS GIRL, and YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

I've written eight novels that are contemporary fiction, not thrillers: THE EVER AFTER, THE PERFECT NEIGHBORS, THINGS YOU WON'T SAY, CATCHING AIR, THE BEST OF US, THE OPPOSITE OF ME, SKIPPING A BEAT, and THESE GIRLS. My linked free short estories, published by Simon&Schuster exclusively for ereaders, are titled "All is Bright," and "Love, Accidentally."

Please find me on Insta and Facebook for more!

I am the mother of three young boys, which explains why I wrote part of my novels at Chuck E. Cheese. I penned my first book, Miscellaneous Tales and Poems, at the age of 10. When publishers failed to jump upon this literary masterpiece (hey, all the poems rhymed!) I followed up by sending them a sternly-worded letter on Raggedy Ann stationery. I still have that letter, and carry it to New York every time I have meetings with my publisher, as a reminder that dreams do come true. My website is www.sarahpekkanen.com

(Here on Goodreads, my policy is to only review books I really like. If I don't enjoy the book, I won't write about it - it's just my personal policy.)

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
930 (19%)
1 star
272 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 642 reviews
Profile Image for Meredith (Slowly Catching Up).
770 reviews12.1k followers
April 20, 2018
I hate to be so harsh, but this book was painful to read!

The Ever After starts off strong. One morning while sitting in the car while her husband Frank runs into Starbucks, Josie sees an incriminating email on Frank’s phone. She soon discovers that he is having an affair and must decide whether or not to stay in her marriage.

I couldn’t wait to see what Josie was going to uncover about Frank and her seemingly perfect marriage. But shortly after Josie finds out all of the details about her husband’s indiscretions, NOTHING happens. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good book where a character goes on an introspective journey but the moments that Josie reflects on lack significance. She consults with friends and therapists while trying to keep her head afloat. While these moments should be filled with complex emotions, they came off as wooden and banal.

My biggest issue with The Ever After is the writing--this book lacks depth and the dialogue feels strained. To me, it feels incomplete, almost like a first draft. I was prepared to delve into Josie and Frank’s relationship and unpack the nuances of their marriage, but all I found was surface level emotions, stilted dialogue, and tons of clichés. There just wasn’t much substance to what should have been an emotional read.

I am very much in the minority with my feelings about this book, so don’t decide whether or not to read it based on my review. Many readers have expressed their love for The Ever After and saw things that I did not.

I won a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway.
Profile Image for Kaceey.
1,005 reviews3,514 followers
September 15, 2018
3.5*
That “dream sequence” walk down the aisle. The sacred vows to live, love and cherish for a lifetime. Isn’t that what we all dream of? The happily ever after.

Well that’s certainly what Josie thought she had. The perfect marriage to her loving, handsome husband Frank.

Then one simple question opens a deep, dark fracture that would ultimately turn her entire life upside down. 💔

Josie is on a one-woman crusade to dig into the past to determine the true extent of the damage done.
Did she really live in a bubble where life’s infidelities couldn’t touch her? Don’t we all want to live in that bubble and believe in the one person we open our hearts and soul to would never betray us.

This was a difficult book to give a rating, never mind review. I’m left with conflicted feelings.

On one side, I had sympathy for Josie and her plight to figure out the future for her and her family. On the other hand, another part of me remained unsettled throughout this book. Why, you may ask? I wish I had an easy answer for that. Was it the indiscretion itself? Or Josie’s reaction to it? Just can’t put my finger on it.

I did enjoy the therapy sessions (perhaps the highlight of the book for me). What left me a little disappointed was the ending...but you’ll have to read it to find out why.

Thank you to NetGalley, Atria Books and Sarah Pekkanen for an arc to read in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Susanne.
1,155 reviews36.2k followers
May 20, 2018
3.25 Stars* (rounded down).

The moment Josie discovers that she has been betrayed by her husband, Frank, her life is shattered. The discovery of an email exchange between her husband Frank, and another woman on his cell phone, changes everything. Trust is gone. Wiped away in mere seconds. Love, destroyed. Their family? Torn apart.

What makes someone cheat? And how does one cope? “The Ever After” is a domestic drama which explores the subject of infidelity in a marriage. Josie’s feelings are both raw and real and the author, Sarah Pekkanen, explores the subject with complete and utter authenticity. In a way, this novel almost reads like a self help book, and while it was a bit predictable, it was a quick, easy read, with relatable characters, whose lives you can’t help but be drawn into. If you like domestic dramas, “The Ever After” might just be right up your alley.

Thank you to Rachel Brenner at Atria Books, NetGalley and Sarah Pekkanen for a complimentary copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Published on NetGalley and Goodreads.
Profile Image for Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader.
2,054 reviews30k followers
June 4, 2018
4 dramatic stars to The Ever After! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Sarah Pekkanen is back with the domestic drama, The Ever After. Inspired by a conversation Pekkanen overheard in a coffee shop, The Ever After has the ring of truth throughout, almost as if it is a journalistic study into one woman’s deeply personal experience with a wayward spouse.

Josie and Frank Moore appear to have it all. A Siena van with two adorable young daughters, living life in the Chicago suburbs.

Frank is a devoted, loving father and husband and the envy of Josie’s friends, until one day, Josie borrows his phone and an email pops up. From another woman. There is no denying it. Frank is cheating.

From the start, Frank minimizes the relationship. It was just emails. Then, when pushed harder, only kissing. But Josie will not stop until she uncovers what really happened between her husband and his mistress.

Sarah Pekkanen’s books have a human quality that endears me to them. Josie’s relatable story really could be anyone’s. As Pekkanen points out in her letter to the reader, one in three marriages experience cheating. We all probably know someone affected if we have not been directly impacted ourselves.

I longed for Josie to have a happy ending. She is a strong character, a strong woman, a strong mom, and I was captivated by her story that was brilliantly, dramatically, and sensitively told.

Thank you to Sarah Pekkanen, Atria Books, and Netgalley for the ARC. The Ever After will be published on June 5, 2018.

My reviews can also be found on my blog: www.jennifertarheelreader.com
Profile Image for Deena.
133 reviews
June 13, 2018
Husband cheats. Wife is devastated. I just saved you several hours.
October 18, 2018
The Ever After is a domestic drama high on the drama that examines a marriage in crisis after our main character Josie finds out her husband is having an affair. We are drawn into Josie’s frantic search for answers as she examines her marriage and past. It all became so overwhelming to me and I just wanted to get to the end and close the pages to this story.

Profile Image for Carrie.
3,037 reviews1,499 followers
May 20, 2018
Josie is a young mother who believes that while her marriage may not be without flaws it certainly is solid. That is until the day Josie and her husband Frank are rushing to get their two young daughters to a birthday party they make a stop at a Starbucks where Josie realizes she forgot her own phone and needs to borrow Frank’s.

Before Frank returns to the car an email pops up on his phone that looks as if Frank has been having an affair. Livid and hurt Josie is more in a state of shock in the beginning but she knows that she needs to find out the details of just what her husband has been up to before she can make any decisions about their future.

The Ever After by Sarah Pekkanen is a domestic drama that takes a closer look at a couple that are experiencing some rocky times in their marriage. While reading this one I found myself quite on the fence with my feelings for the book and going back and forth on it’s merits.

One thing you will find is that Sarah Pekkanen is certainly a talented author as it is easy to move right through the story with her great writing. However, the longer the book went on I found myself thinking quite often, is this it? I just wanted the story to be more than it actually is. There’s certainly drama and the aftermath but I had a hard time with the fact that there really isn’t any answers either although I suppose that would be a realistic approach to a woman in that predicament it felt a let down in a book. When done with this one I know I will certainly read more from this author in the future but this one was just one of those it was ok but forgettable to me reads.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more review please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/
Profile Image for Lindsey.
1,029 reviews
June 9, 2018
Holy crap, was that a waste of time. Literally nothing happened in the entire book. NOTHING. He cheats and she finds out. Then he lies and she’s mad. They go to counseling and they’re all better now! Hell no.
Profile Image for Amy.
1,796 reviews1,853 followers
May 23, 2018
I was a huge fan of The Wife Between Us which Pekkanen co authored with Greer Hendricks but I had never read her solo stuff before. This is very different from TWBU, it’s more of a psychological drama than a thriller, so I just wanted to make sure that you guys were aware of that, because if you’re looking for something similar it’s really not. BUT this was good, just in a totally different way, think less tension, no twists, straight up women’s fiction with an emphasis on Josie’s emotional journey.

I liked the way this was structured, it may even have been my favorite aspect, it was set mostly in the present as Josie deals with the effects of her husband’s betrayal but there are a handful of chapters that go back to important times in Josie and Frank’s relationship. I loved the insight this gave the reader into their history, it added depth and dimension to their characters. Josie was a really relatable character, she’s one of those every woman type of people, you either feel like she could be you or you know someone like her. Her actions, choices and thoughts read as very genuine and raw, I think her behavior was an accurate portrayal of how someone in her situation would act.

My only slight complaint is that it was fairly predictable but not in annoying way, I just knew pretty much exactly what would happen well before it actually did, but as this isn’t a thriller, it wasn’t a huge issue. Recommended for those looking for a well written, insightful read that leans to the lighter side.
Profile Image for Stacey Camp.
Author 4 books59 followers
March 11, 2018
**3.5 Goodreads Stars**

Sarah Pekkanen's The Ever After merges the genres of suspense and domestic drama to tell a story of a husband's infidelity. The lead character, Josie, discovers a salacious text from another woman on her husband, Frank's, phone by accident. The book follows the aftermath of this discovery, peering into the mind of Josie as she struggles to understand why her husband cheated on her. Was her marriage always a sham? Were there signs she missed?

To make matters worse, Josie and Frank have two young daughters. They both do their best to hide the situation from them, but ultimately Josie realizes she needs Frank out of the house to figure out a way forward. The book follows Josie's inner dialogue as she tries to reconcile the many sides of Frank: the loving and doting father, the once caring and adoring lover, the hard-working employee, the solid friend, son, and brother. How could someone who was all those things rip a marriage to shreds?

I struggled with the ending of this book as it felt flat and abrupt. I felt like I truly understood Josie's train of thoughts, but Frank's motivations for the affair still felt unclear to me. In some parts of the book I felt like I was reading a self-help non-fiction book rather than a piece of fiction. The writing is good, but I really struggled to see Frank's point of view in all of this.

Thank you to the publisher, Atria, the author, Sarah Pekkanen, and NetGalley for an advanced reader copy of The Ever After.

For more of my book reviews visit me here:
Book Review Blog | Twitter | Instagram
Profile Image for Elle G. Reads.
1,482 reviews691 followers
April 19, 2018
Release Date: June 5, 2018
Genre: Domestic Drama. Women's Fiction.
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

This is the first book I have read from Sarah Pekkanen and I am thoroughly impressed. What an emotional journey this one was. I wasn't expecting to feel like this when I read it but it certainly has taken me on an intense ride. One of the things that was most noticeable about this book (besides the emotion that it evokes) is the way the author builds the characters. This can be a heard feat especially when an author tackles a hot button issue like infidelity, but she is right on the mark with these guys. Josie for instance is extremely realistic. Having been through the trauma of infidelity, she handles the situation as one would expect- she's angry, sad, hurt, and has a hard time trusting. She isn't FORCED to either want to work it out or not, but rather, she takes her time in considering her options while also dealing with the emotion of it all. In some books, the author will either make the infidelity a passive thing- the wife quickly gets over it and forgives- or takes a radical turn and forces the characters to leap ahead with divorce before considering all the options. Well, this doesn't happen here and I love the bravery, and indecisiveness, and the way the problem was tackled. It surely wasn't an easy read, and it broke my heart into a few small pieces, but I feel like it's a healing one. I very much recommend it.

With that, the heart of the story is of course about the repercussions of infidelity within a marriage. Many will feel nervous reading a book like this because the issue is one none of us want to consider. However, as I mentioned above, the author does a fantastic job at weaving a story around it. I can almost guarantee that you WON'T want to jump through the pages and rip peoples throats out (for the most part anyway) but will consider the actions of the characters. You may feel emotional (especially if this has happened to you) but I think many can learn from it too.

Overall, this is a fantastic novel and I really liked it. I didn't love it for the sole reason that it IS about infidelity, but I can look past it because it is told in a realistic way. If you are looking for a domestic drama/women's fiction novel that gets tough with marital issues, this is a good one for you. If you cannot read a book where infidelity does occur, then maybe skip this one. I for one am glad I read it and plan to read more by the author in the near future.
January 18, 2019
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

**2.5 stars**

The Ever After by Sarah Pekkanen. (2018).

Josie and Frank have been together for over 16 years. They have two young daughters. Sometimes life is monotonous but Frank is a great father and husband. Until one day Josie uses his phone and sees an email that shatters her world. Now Josie is standing on an edge, looking at their history and contemplating their future while trying to work out the extent of her husband's secret.

I wasn't really a fan of this book. I liked the idea of the storyline in that I imagine infidelity would be something really difficult to deal with particularly in a long term relationship but honestly, this book was just boring to me. However, the confusion of Josie about how to deal with this and also re looking at their history did seem realistic. On the other hand, in the edition I read there were clear typos and names that were obviously mixed up (like using the mother's name instead of the daughter when it was clearly the daughter being referred to); this didn't help with trying to get into the story. At the end of the day I felt really blah about the book after I finished it. The reviews are quite mixed on it on Goodreads so it's always worth a go to see if you would enjoy it.
Profile Image for Jayme.
1,080 reviews1,648 followers
July 28, 2018
and a 5 Star gorgeous cover!

Statistics indicate that an affair occurs in one of every three marriages.

Perhaps you know someone who has endured the pain of an affair.

Were you supportive or judgmental of HER decision to split up...or to stay together -with her spouse?

This raw, emotional book about the affair that Josie’s husband Frank had, and the decision, SHE makes, may cause you think twice about how YOU might handle this, or how YOU may treat a friend who is working through this difficult time in her life...I think the author captured the emotions a wife would feel brilliantly!

Sarah Pekkanen was inspired by a conversation she overheard between two women in a coffee shop....

She doesn’t know if this anonymous woman made the same choice as Josie...but in the acknowledgements page, she wanted to mention this woman, and hopes that “whatever fork in the road she chose, it as one that would lead her, eventually to a second chance at a happily EVER AFTER. “
Profile Image for Katie.
660 reviews19 followers
January 13, 2022

This wasn’t a dramatic read. There isn’t too much depth but I found I could relate to the h.

It is a story about a wife discovering her husband’s affair after checking his email when he was getting coffee. She had an inkling something was wrong when he hesitated to lend her his phone. That made her suspicious and she started searching.

I have had friends in her situation and they reacted the same way. The constant questioning and investigating and second guessing. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) my friends’ husbands weren’t as willing as the H in this story to make amends or as genuinely remorseful. On the other hand, the H did admit that the affair would have continued if he hadn’t been caught out.

Profile Image for Kate Olson.
2,086 reviews727 followers
July 12, 2018
☀️ Vacation read #2! Tense, taut and so, so raw, this domestic fiction story is marriage distilled to its very essence. So happy @saltwaterreads chose this as their July pick because it pushed me to read it, and I’m so thankful I did. Not a thriller, not a romance, not a comedy. Or maybe it IS a non-traditional romance upturning the entire genre? Because isn’t marriage and its survival ultimately a romantic and hopeful act with an end goal of an HEA?
I highly recommend this book to readers craving a page turner about the straight up real life, glamour-free, intricacies of a modern marriage and the horrible web of damage that infidelity can wrought.
A great choice for IRL book clubs.....UNLESS one of your members has gone through this ~ then it may be way too close to home for casual “what-if” discussion 😢
Profile Image for T.R. Horne.
Author 4 books56 followers
July 20, 2018
I read the first two chapters then put it down until this weekend. I finished it in two days once I picked it back up but unfortunately for me this novel falls flat. I found the story to be incredibly boring and one dimensional, no surprises. The story follows Josie and her husband, Frank, after she finds a racy email while using his phone. There’s no big drama here, which was a missed opportunity for the author to take us on a super sleuth journey but nope…she just tells her husband she found it and listens to him gravel. Josie then takes time away, complains about being a stay at home mom (while trying to slyly blame it on her husband), complains about her children constantly or just her life overall…hmmmm, wonder why he cheated, right? Lol. Anyway, the rest of the novel is her husband asking for forgiveness, her trying to trust again and lots of gossip and daily life I could’ve done without. My life is boring enough without reading about kids throwing up, throwing tantrums, cleaning houses and gossiping about cheaters whilst hiding from everyone else her husband cheated, then being scared to go at it alone. This book was far too realistic in that it’s every woman’s story and none of the interesting things about crazy ex lovers, devious snooping and mouth dropping evidence. There’s none of that, so don’t get excited folks.

Raging Book Reviews Not Recommended

*won this through Goodreads Giveaway
Profile Image for Stephanie.
1,328 reviews95 followers
May 21, 2018
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

What I Liked

*While I could not personally identify with the plight of the main character in this book, I have had a front row seat to someone in a very similar situation for the last several months and I feel like The Ever After will be very relatable to a lot of women. There is a note from the author in the beginning of the book that shares a statistic that an affair occurs in one of every three marriages. There are many reasons I can’t imagine myself ever getting married, but kudos to all you who are because I can not imagine trusting someone enough to do it.

*I do really like Sarah Pekkanen’s writing. This is my third book by her and I find her writing to be very compulsive. Even though it’s a lot of introspection and very little action, I had a hard time putting the book down. Josie’s character development was very well done and if you are a fan of character-driven stories, then I definitely recommend Pekkanen’s books.

What I Didn’t Like

*Josie was kind of hard to like most of the time. I thought a lot of her reaction was normal and justified, but she did kind of stop being a parent to her daughters for awhile and I didn’t think that was ok. I also thought that all of the flashback chapters kind of painted her as a shrew and Frank as the long-suffering husband. I felt like this was to help justify why Frank did what he did (not excusing it, but still a reason for it) and it just didn’t sit well with me.

*I didn’t like the ending (it’s why I’m rating this 1/2 a star lower than I probably would have otherwise). I had a very definite opinion about which way I wanted the story to go and it didn’t go that way. I do think that there will be people that will really support the ending, though. I think it might depend on your own emotional baggage you bring to the book.

Overall

Overall, I did enjoy The Ever After. I really liked the writing and how relatable the story felt to me, even though it’s not a situation I’ve personally experienced. I thought the ending was a little rushed, though. After spending such a long time dissecting Josie and Frank’s relationship, I thought the resolution deserved a little more page time, as well.

Overall Rating (out of 5): 3.5 Stars
Profile Image for Carly.
211 reviews19 followers
July 31, 2018
I'm very torn on how I feel about this book. On the one hand, I love Pekkanen's writing and she was able to so effortlessly evoke pain and trauma.

My issues lie with Josie. She was a very hard character for me to like. And since the book is told from her perspective, and we are supposed to feel compassion towards her, I was never completely immersed in the story. I think I would have felt differently if I was in a long term marriage, or I had kids. But when I first learned what Frank had done, my immediate reaction was, "that isn't even that bad." And it never changed throughout the length of the novel. Again, I probably would have felt differently if I was in Josie's shoes.

What also really bothered me was that Josie refused to let Frank redeem himself. She has been married to him for twelve years and yet she is convinced that a seven week affair is cause for divorce, without thinking of all the ways they could fix the marriage, or all the history they have. She wants him to tell her the truth, and when he does she doesn't believe him.

It is also clear from chapters that reflect in the past, that she doesn't trust him. She was so convinced that he lied when he said he was coming back from his work event that she was going to drive to the hotel just to see what the setup was. Maybe Frank deserved her mistrust, but I just thought she was taking it way too far.

This obviously wasn't the book for me, and maybe those who have been in similar situations will connect with the story, but I just had a lot of issues with how Josie handled the situation. I will say that I enjoyed how it ended.
Profile Image for Jessa.
1,104 reviews282 followers
June 8, 2018
By now anyone who know me is aware I have a problem. An obsession, really, with the most messed up thing: cheating books.

My friends think I’m crazy for it but I can’t get enough of the bitterly painful angst that (ideally) prefaces a rebuild and understanding to an even better relationship. So often, books get this part wrong. Not enough grovel, not enough introspection or believable resolutions.

I honestly believe Frank and Josie will have an HEA rather than a happily-for-now, which is rare. The journey and the slow crawl back to a restarting place was incredibly rough to read about but also weirdly cathartic. I also loved that Josie wasn’t a doormat and made him suffer for his crimes.

But I also like that Josie had self-awareness and culpability in the marital problems that already existed between her and Frank. Though it obviously doesn’t absolve him from his sins, I came away from the book feeling as if there was a reason why he did what he did while in other books it’s often just a reflex because That’s What Men Do and Gosh We’re Just Human.

If you like books about infidelities with lots of groveling and tons of angst, this is it. But if any of this is triggering for you, def stay away.
Profile Image for Cc.
1,009 reviews118 followers
April 1, 2019
This is a novel that needed the POV of the "H". This was an expensive book, and I thought long and hard b4 buying, but it's my catnip and I had just taken the chance with the Laura Branchflower books and it had paid off. This one didn't, because I didn't feel a thing. It took me 3 weeks to read.
Profile Image for Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader).
380 reviews101 followers
June 2, 2018
From the author of The Wife Between Us comes a story of a marriage that one day seemed fine on the outside, and in a matter of a minute a secret will tear it apart. I enjoyed every addicting, fast moving chapter.

Josie asks to borrow her husband’s phone to make a call when she discovers an email that will change her life and marriage as she knows it. Instead of collapsing she takes an investigative approach and is determined to figure out what happened. Throughout the story she will work through memories to find where it all may have gone wrong.

Although she didn’t collapse she was devastated, but she was stronger than she gave herself credit for. She didn’t ask for her marriage to fall apart, but it happened and she is forced to reflect on what she wants – and if she can forgive – on her own terms. She doesn’t know what these terms are and will work through them throughout the story.

I enjoy quick, thought-provoking reads. It may have not gone nitty gritty into Josie’s inner thoughts, but it did make you pause and think. What would I do if I were Josie? What would I do if I were Frank? This would certainly be a good book club discussion.

I received an arc of this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

To read my reviews visit: www.saturdaynitereader.com
Profile Image for Lynn.
821 reviews121 followers
May 8, 2020
2.75 stars rounded up.

This should have been a book that I loved, but sadly, no.

By accident, Josie discovers that her husband Frank is having an affair. Her world is blown up. She becomes obsessed in finding more about the affair and if he has had any others. Frank is truly devastated about hurting her and their family. He’ll do anything to make it right, but Josie is consumed by hurt and anger. Together and apart, they try to figure out if their marriage is worth saving.

I found the characters of Josie and Frank to be superficial. I didn’t feel like I actually got to know them, and what I read of Josie I didn’t like. I totally get her anger and sense of betrayal, but she used her feelings as a weapon against Frank. I found her obsession about learning more about the affair as over the top. Their backstories didn’t really reveal much about them. The characters who I liked best were the therapists they saw. Everyone should find such caring and compassionate people when they need a therapist.

I generally like this author’s books, but this one fell short of the mark.
Profile Image for Izzie d.
4,003 reviews258 followers
January 14, 2020
This is a good story.
Reread review.
The book starts with the wife accidentally discovering her husband has been receiving emails from another woman.
There are a few things about cheating and recovering from it.

First she accidentally finds out, he doesn't come to her and confess as hes made a mistake and feels guilty.

How long has been going on?
Seven weeks. It had been going on for seven weeks.

There was intimacy but no sex, he claims, around 6 times they had met.

Whether or not you forgive him as a reader, this book explores the issues of cheating well.
The feelings it conjures, the results of lack of trust after.

The couple have a HEA.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Booksandchinooks (Laurie).
624 reviews67 followers
June 7, 2018
I received a free copy of this book from Simon and Schuster Canada for an honest review. This is the story of a seemingly good marriage going to the brink of possibly collapsing. Josie and Frank lead busy lives with their two small children. Sure Josie wishes Frank would help out around the house more but for the most part she forgives him since he is an amazing father and a loving husband. They have both reached a point in their marriage where they take each other for granted and their communication skills maybe aren’t the best but Josie’s world is rocked when she discovers Frank has had an affair. After this discovery and catching Frank in a few lies Josie is shattered. Her pain and anguish depicted seems raw and real for someone in her situation. Josie has to then decide what to do moving forward. Is the marriage salvageable and should it be? Josie wrestles with this decision which is more complicated by the fact they have two small children that love and adore their father. Frank makes some discoveries about himself too. He questions how and why he had the affair and what is says about him. With such staggering statistics about the amount of people that have affairs outside their marriage this book will resonate with a lot of readers. I would give this book 3.5 stars but will round up to 4.
Profile Image for Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?.
614 reviews104 followers
October 21, 2018
What would you do if you found out your husband had an affair? Would you try to end the marriage, or work it out? What if sex was not a part of the affair, would that make a difference? These are the questions that Josie has after she finds out that her husband, Frank, has been having an affair for the past seven weeks. Should she stay or go? He's so great with the kids, but what about her? This book takes you on Josie's journey from her discovery of the affair, to her final decision on whether to stay with her husband or get a divorce.

Thank you to NetGalley and Atria Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.

I'm not sure what I would do if infidelity was a question in my marriage. I think, we can all say what we would do, but until we are faced with that situation, I don't think we fully understand how we would feel. Love is a tricky thing and when you find it with someone, it can be devastating when they break that love apart.

When Josie finds out about Frank's affair, her world is turned upside down. She has to find out the answer to all of her questions. She doesn't know if she will ever be able to trust Frank again or how she is going to live without him, as well. This is the man who is the father of her children and the man she has shared a bed with for so many years. But how could he betray her like this? They both decide to go to counseling. But Josie has conditions that Frank must agree to before she will even entertain the fact of sharing just her time with him. Will he agree or will they just end up going their separate ways.

This book is good for any married woman to read and may help you if this is a situation that you may be going through in your life.
June 21, 2021
I have read Pekkanen before but the first book I read of hers didn’t impressed me. This one, I think came at the right time in my life. So relatable in my phase of marriage. The book carries a simple plot, the moment the wife discovered that her husband is cheating, and how the wife goes through the process of shock, hurt, anger, acceptance. Through self-reflection, the wife is faced with the reality of marriage that one might overlook, or choose to ignore because of various reasons (tired, busy, denial etc). This books forces me to look back at my own marriage and to be honest with its own truth.
Profile Image for Cassie’s Reviews.
975 reviews30 followers
September 28, 2018
First I want to thank netgalley and the author for an advanced copy for my kindle. This book hit me hard! I had tears while I read this book. This book starts with Josie asking her husband frank for his phone to call in a prescription for there daughter while he grabs coffee from Starbucks, nervously he hands the phone to her and the look on his face she knows something is wrong. While he’s grabbing coffee she glances at his emails and she realizes he’s having an affair. This book will tear at your feelings. You go through the horror, hurt anger and having a family during this time with Josie. You will hate frank for hurting her and the there two daughter and at times clap for Josie for her strength and listen while she’s just wanting to kill frank. Also you will start to see no marriage is perfect and having an open line of communication is important. I loved this book it was a nice change from my usual murder mysteries or thrillers. I will recommend this book to everyone.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 642 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.