Start by marking “Everyday People: The Color of Life--A Short Story Anthology” as Want to Read:
Everyday People: The Color of Life--A Short Story Anthology

Everyday People: The Color of Life--A Short Story Anthology

In the tradition of Best of American Short Stories and Langston Hughes’s classic The Best Short Stories by Black People, a dazzling collection of short fiction showcasing a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic ensemble of contemporary writers in stories both new and republished.

Everyday People: The Color of Life is a gorgeously wrought anthology of fourteen short stories by some o
Published August 28th 2018 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Everyday People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyday People

Jaime
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Everyday People is an anthology of short stories written by people of color about people of color. A lot of the stories were really gripping and it is amazing how writers can compact their words and still create a powerful impact in just a few pages. That is what you will find in this collection. If you want a contemporary, anthology collection that is rich in storytelling and impactful characters and theme then you will not be disappointed. The fourstories that resonated with me the most were A ...more
Tsara Shelton
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book took my breath away in brilliant and unexpected ways, over and over. Reading so many powerfully crafted stories written directly from (not about) cultures unfamiliar to me felt like experiencing a series of reincarnations. It was dizzying and delightful and eye-opening and awesome!

Everyday People: The Color of Life - A Short Story Anthology is made up of stories that dive deep into expectations, reasons, justifications, self-exploration, insights, hopes, fears, and identity. No two st
Bianca
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyday People is diverse in culture and tone. It accomplished exactly what I was hoping: the exploration of the human experience.
Erika Dreifus
So pleased to share this Q&A with editor Jennifer Baker: https://wp.me/P4x0h8-bWs.
Gary Lee
This is a great, solid collection featuring some beautiful, fantastic writing.
Stacie C
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story collection. A great mix of stories and cultures all written by very capable authors. There are a quite a few short stories in this collection that I absolutely loved.

Full Disclaimer: The last story is written by Junot Diaz. I did not read that story. Hard pass on that one.
Dan Polley
I loved a lot of these stories, but especially:
"Link" by Courtia Newland
"Mine" by Alexander Chee
"Boy/Gamin" by Brandon Taylor
"Moosehide" by Carleigh Baker
"Surrender" by Hasanthika Sirisena

But perhaps the best part of this work is the Reading List of Contemporary Works by Women, Nonbinary, and Transgender Writers of Color/Indigenous Writers. It is several pages of listed works, and I used it to add to my TBR pile. (And I'm glad to see that I've already read some works featured in the list.)
Rachel SV
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everyday People is an eclectic anthology of short stories that are by and about people of color. There is such a variety of voices, perspectives, themes, and genres here that there is truly something for everyone to love. Also, I just want to give editor Jennifer Baker praise for removing Junot Diaz’s short story from the final book and replacing it with a list of suggested works by POC. That was the right move!
Lesley
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
An African American minister, trapped in his flipped car reminisces about his estranged son. A recovering addict is repelled and intrigued by the 1st Nations prison inmate who scorns her for being a “mixed blood”. A “ghost talker” who collects unhappy spirits yearns for the ghost of the person she loves most. These are a few of the unforgettable characters peopling this rich banquet of tales by African American, Latinix, Native American, and Asian storytellers.

Diverse in styles and settings as w
Amanda O.
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC from the editor*

Everyday People is such a refreshing read: I have never read a more diverse and fascinating collection of short stories. If I could give it a 4.5 I would! It's not only diverse in its authors' race and ethnicity, but also in tone and genre and setting. Besides the first story, which is more magical realism than I care for (I still haven't quite warmed up to that genre), the stories have such great depth and push the boundaries for any reader. I can't express ho
Lisa
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up...
I enjoyed quite a few of these stories and look forward to looking up the author’s other works. This book features short stories by Mia Alvar, Alexander Chee, Junot Diaz, and Jason Reynolds to name a few.

Link ~ 3
The Pura Principle ~ 3
Faith
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalleyarc, 2018
I've long appreciated short stories, but they took over my reading pile after I found myself with unpredictable bursts of reading time when I was in the throes of my newborn babies. When my hygiene might be suspect and there may or may not be a well-rounded meal on the table and I might not remember when the floor was tidy enough for me to vacuum thoroughly, I could find satisfaction in beginning and finishing a short story in one sitting. I am past that sleep-deprived state, but I will always h ...more
Lizzie
Wow! Extraordinary group of short stories. I often find anthologies to be mixed bag of good vs great but pretty much every story in this collection blew me away.

As the title implies, it's a collection by poc authors writing about poc characters. And while race is centered and portrayed authentically, it's not the focus of any story. Rather, it's about the little, the ordinary, the everyday moments that define our lives. Every story has a very different feel of course, but all of them bring their
Toni
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Over the years I’ve developed an appreciation for short stories. I used to resent not having the ending and knowing what happened. Now I can enjoy them from a different place. I’m enjoying not knowing the full stories. Because that’s how life is.

Everyday People is a collection of fourteen short stories by a diverse group of writers of color. While the work can be considered contemporary fiction, the writing spans several different writing styles, experiences and points of view. It’s almost impos
Danielle
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I tried hard to get thru this collection. It was tough. Only liked a couple of the stories. I do not want anyone else to waste their precious reading hours. So many better books to enjoy not nearly enough time.
Mike
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I particularly liked the stories by Alexander Chee, Brandon Taylor, and Allison Mills. Not every story landed for me, but they were all well done, and the ones that did land were very good, indeed.
Will
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-in-2018
Beautiful and moving stories from renown and upcoming authors. Loved the stories from Alexander Chee, Brandon Taylor, and Dennis Norris II.
Ilana
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this thread, I discuss various craft elements the incredible stories in this book work with, and the glorious Jennifer Baker who edited this anthology chimes in with her thoughts as well, so check it out, it's good reading:

Jennie
Julia Siwierka
Oct 14, 2018
Jaquira Díaz
Nov 15, 2018
Jennifer Baker is a publishing professional, creator/host of the Minorities in Publishing podcast, social media director and writing instructor for Sackett Street Writers' Workshop.

In 2017, she was awarded a NYSCA/NYFA Fellowship & Queens Council on the Arts New Work Grant (as well as their award for Artistic Excellence) for Nonfiction Literature. Jennifer is a contributing editor to Electric