Start by marking “Ocean Meets Sky” as Want to Read:
Ocean Meets Sky

Ocean Meets Sky

Finn lives by the sea and the sea lives by him. Every time he looks out his window it’s a constant reminder of the stories his grandfather told him about the place where the ocean meets the sky. Where whales and jellyfish soar and birds and castles float.

Finn’s grandfather is gone now but Finn knows the perfect way to honor him. He’ll build his own ship and sail out to fin
Published May 15th 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

David Schaafsma
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books. This is book #16 (of 20) of 2018, one of the books where I look like an old curmudgeon compared to my family, who largely loved this book which is about kid wanting to see his Grandpa again and imagining his way to him.

Lyra (11): 4.5 stars. This was a very sweet book with beautiful pictures.

Hank (12): 4.5 stars. I liked when he saw his Grandpa again. Good drawing.

Harry (13): 4.5 stars. I loved the pictures and it was tou
Calista
This book is that perfect combination of imagination, whimsy and a sense of myth grounded in reality. I love the artwork. I remember Fantasia 2000 and the ‘Pines of Rome’ segment when the wales took to the sky. As you can see from the cover, the whales are once again flying in the sky like an ocean. I just love that idea.

This book is also about a young boy who lost his grandfather and he needs a way to say goodbye to him. The story is for beginners and this is a diverse story with Asian ideas i
Jenna
I liked this book a lot. The whimsical steampunk-ish illustrations are brimful of charming details that could keep any adult or child reader engrossed for hours -- a truly inspired mix of whale, fish, bird, and ship imagery. The story is an ambitious blend of light and heavy, realistic and dreamy: it concerns a small boy, Finn, whose grandfather has recently passed away in his old age. Finn reminisces on his loving relationship with his grandfather, a raconteur whose fantastical stories nourishe ...more
Shelle Perry
Epic is the first adjective that comes to mind with this picture book by The Fan Brothers. Finn lives by the sea. On what would have been his grandfather’s ninetieth birthday, he finds himself missing his grandfather’s stories and wisdom. To honor his grandfather he builds a small boat and, exhausted, falls asleep. Upon waking he finds himself sailing to that mysterious place his grandfather told him about where the ocean meets the sky.

The artwork so easily conveys the magic of this place with c
Lata
I understand this is a story about a kid mourning his grandfather. I think the fantastical dreams (lovely, lovely illustrations) the boy has are influenced by the stories and conversations with his grandfather. It's not a straightforward story about dealing with grief. It feels more like a celebration of the good times Finn had with his grandfather.
All of my rambling above is a way for me to say that I loved the way this book looked, and the way it handled the gentle reflections of a loved one.
Krissy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-tristan
Gorgeous illustrations!
La Coccinelle
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I was really intrigued by the cover of this one. The illustrations looked gorgeous, and some of them are. I wasn't absolutely in love with the story, though, and the writing had some problems.

Finn builds a boat on what would have been his grandfather's ninetieth birthday. It whisks him away on a magical adventure, eventually leading him to the place his grandfather talked about: where the ocean meets the sky. The story itself is fine; as a dream/fantasy, it works. The reader can clearly see how
Rachel
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. Beautiful illustrations & cute story.
Kathryn
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Everything about this book is soothing and quiet with a lovely message. I loved it.
Skip
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Goodreads nomination for Best Children's book in 2018.

Beautifully illustrated and a sweet, whimsical story about a boy remembering his grandfather.
Brittany
5 Sailing Stars!!!

Picked up this Beautiful Gem at my local library last week for my daughter and just realized its up for a Goodreads Choice Award! Its a new picture book about a young boy who builds a boat, and sets sail to find a place his grandfather told him about…the spot where the ocean meets the sky. Full of Gorgeous illustrations, this one is sure to captivate young readers, as they too, read and sail along, on this Magical Journey.
Hannah Greendale
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A visual treat that celebrates lost loved ones through the wonders of imagination.
Vi
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated story with a simple yet moving storyline.
Kimberly
Here's how special this book is: my toddler, who has never experienced the death of a loved one and therefore has no idea about the process of grief and healing, understands what is going on in this book. While it is never explicitly stated that Finn's grandfather has passed, and never says that Finn misses him, my son understood. At one point during our second or third reading he said, "I miss my grandpa too!" Thankfully, his grandpas and his great-grandpa are all still with us, but I was amaze ...more
Elisabeth
Magical and stunningly beautiful, this picture book will speak to kids and their parents.
Amanda
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fucking beautiful 🐋
Abigail
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the Fan Brothers / Anyone Who Appreciates Beautiful Picture-Books
The fantastically talented Fan Brothers, Terry and Eric, who made their debut with The Night Gardener , return in Ocean Meets Sky, the second picture-book that they have written and illustrated together. Here they follow the story of Finn, a young boy who is missing his (presumably deceased) grandfather. On the day his grandfather would have been ninety, Finn builds himself a ship and sets sail to find that place, mentioned many times by his elderly relative, where the ocean meets the sky. Alon ...more
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
I don't usually rate picture books here, although I read enough of them with my children, but I have had this one on my 'to-read' list for some time so it deserves a formal send-off. It is an absolutely lovely, short, wonder-filled journey in a dream-land. The framework is that a boy dreams that he journeys across the sea in a boat that he built in honor of his grandfather, now deceased, to the place where the ocean meets the sky. There are a couple of brief visits to places along the way, such ...more
Colona Public Library
A small boy who is thinking of his deceased grandfather drifts off to sleep and has an adventure.
Some nice illustrations, I love when kids get to go into a dreamland and explore themselves or memories of a loved one. ~Ashley
Maggie Librarian
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly exceptional!
A boy who misses his grandpa goes off on an fantastic boat ride to find the place his grandfather often spoke of, where the ocean meets the sky. Beautiful imaginative illustrations, and heart warming exploration of loss and love.
Scottsdale Public Library
A lovely picture book that celebrates familial bonds, as a boy honors the memory of his grandfather by constructing a boat: one he will journey on to where the ocean meets sky, based on tales his grandfather told. Explores imagination and contains beautiful illustrations by Eric Fan. - Sara Z.
jb Byrkit
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice children’s book with a nice story. The illustrations were very good.
Angelina
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Four stars for the text (it’s not so much of a story but more of a dream journey) and five shining stars for the stunning illustrations! I’m turning into a huge fan of The Fan Brithers.
Abigail (Abbe)
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kendall
Breathtaking illustrations. A thoughtful gift for someone who loses a grandpa. ❤
Aliza Werner
Never less than gorgeous illustrations from the Fan brothers. Part dream, part reality, a little boy remembers his grandfather by visiting the place where ocean meets the sky.
Susan
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated children’s book.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gorgeous
So beautiful.
Lindsey
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it

Wow! That art was so pretty! Definitely worth reading just to look at the pictures. But to make it all better, the story was sweet too.

Beverly
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful graphite and digitally colored illustrations. The little boy's dream takes him past stacks of books, giant sea shells, a blue whale, jellyfish, and many other things.
Michele Knott
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Fan Brothers have done it again - another stunning picture book. This time it provides us with comfort after the loss of a loved one.

• Drawn Together