Start by marking “Splendor and Spark (Shimmer and Burn, #2)” as Want to Read:
Splendor and Spark (Shimmer and Burn, #2)

Splendor and Spark

(Shimmer and Burn #2)

In this exciting follow-up to Shimmer and Burn, Faris has given up love to save her sister’s life and the dying kingdom of Avinea, but will her sacrifices be enough to overcome the poisoned magic and villains surrounding her on all sides?

The fight is just beginning.

Faris has been forced to give up the man she loves for a dangerous but necessary alliance. Her loyalty is bou
Published December 4th 2018 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

mith
Am I reviewing every book i read in the past and left no review for? No, but also yes. Ish.

I’ll be frank: I didn’t think this was as good as the first book. There was a significant lack of North, but I wanna pride myself on being the kind of person that only relies on just the love interest being there lmao. (I am tho so yikes.)

Anyway I’ll keep this short: while a strong sequel and a good finale, I couldn’t enjoy this as much as book one. I missed my vicious princess and I hated the little sist
Roxanne
Aug 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
I might be alone in this, but please can this have more Alistair??
Beatrice in Bookland
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
*I received an arc from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

"Poison on the tongue comes from poison in the heart. Not all monsters are bred in the Burn."

1) Shimmer and burn ★★★★☆

This duology deserves so many more fans, it's sad that the majority of readers is sleeping on it. It has everything that you want from a ya fantasy: it has a sweet and angsty romance, an original worldbuilding and complex magic system and Faris, an amazing protagonist.

I don't want to spoil anything because the boo
Sheila Goicea
1) Shimmer and Burn: ★★★★

YESSSSS!!! GIVE ME MORE!!!

description

My Blog ¦ Bookstagram ¦ Twitter ¦ Pinterest ¦ Facebook
Princess
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from Edelweiss and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

I loved the first book in this series. I was so excited for this second part. I just didn’t feel the same vibe as I did in book one. It drug for the first half. It really picked up at the end and was very exciting. I am glad I stayed with it.
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic ending to this duology. Magical, swoon worthy, and action packed. The ending is tied up nicely, while still leaving it slightly open for more if Mary wants to write anything else in the world.
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Splendor and Spark is the second installment in author Mary Taranta's Shimmer and Burn duology. To save her sister Cadence's life, Faris Locke smuggled magic that was given to her by her mother into a plague-ridden neighboring kingdom of Avinea that is slowly being over taken by the Burn. But, after Cadence was caught trying to flee the kingdom and was sold into slavery, Faris reluctantly agreed to a lucrative scheme to buy her ba
Maryanne
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5⭐
Bookish Me
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Can't wait for more Faris and North !
Kimberly (Book Swoon)
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, arc
SPLENDOR AND SPARK by Mary Taranta is the second book in the Shimmer and Burn series that is filled danger, dark enchantments, and manipulative intrigue!

The story takes place shortly after the ending of Shimmer and Burn as the dangers of the Burn still threatens the kingdom of Avinea. In this book, readers can look forward to discovering the backstory of North’s father and the magic that created the Burn.

Once again, the setting is brimming with darkness and danger as the Burn comes ever closer
Hetal
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
[ ALERT: Can't remember what happened in Shimmer and Burn?
Visit my new blog Recap the Rapture for in-depth recaps of some of your favorite books!]

3.65ish

Splendor and Spark is a lovely follow up to Mary Taranta's debut novel Shimmer and Burn. We pick up with Faris and North who have kind of been bamboozled by King Perrote and Bryn. North's people hate him and want an easy way out. They want the burn gone and they want clean magic solve their problems once again. However North is determined to
Allison Lassiter
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Strong finish for this two part series. I am deeply appreciative that Taranta doesn’t stretch this into three books. Unlike many authors, she has a clear understanding of her narrative and it’s cadence and doesn’t slow it down in order to add “deleted scene” type content. The pace of both books was excellent but particularly here. There were not any slow sequences though there were moments where it could have happened. The first book didn’t feel slow to me either on the first reading; it was onl ...more
Lynndell
Adventure within a dark fantasy world!
Thanks to NetGalley and Margaret K. McElderry Books for the opportunity to read and review Splendor and Spark by Mary Taranta!
North is on a path he doesn’t necessarily want but feels that he has to be on. Faris and Cadence are prisoners still. Bryn seems to be gaining everything she wants, power and to be queen. Cadence adores Bryn and she shows nothing but disdain for Faris. Faris struggles to let her sister be until she finally gives in to the fact that l
Kimberly
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-reviewed
I received an ARC of SPLENDOR AND SPARK from the author, Mary Taranta in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

North's quest to save the kingdom of Avinea and Faris's quest to save her sister, Cadence continue in this second book of the duology series.

SPLENDOR AND SPARK ventures into the Burn with more action and adventure. As much as I enjoyed book 1, I enjoyed book 2 even more. It's hard to compare the two books since they're both a part of a larger story. Plus, it's as if North and Faris a
Elyse
This was not as good as the first book, something is missing.

Prince Corbin, aka North have married Bryn and now act like a stranger toward Faris. Her little sister blames her for the misery she suffers and hate her. Thankfully, Bryn and Cadence are not too present in this book and I found them quite detestable.

Corbin, Faris & a team travel in order to fin & kill King Merlock, it is the only way to end the Burn once and for all. Then it a game of hide a seek for of the book with
Audrey
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-library
A fantastic follow-up that made me laugh, cry, and want to throw it across the room at various times. It's so beautifully written that you feel the heat of the Burn and the emotions of the all of the characters.

The characters all feel real, not archetypes tossed in without any thought. Bryn is a brilliant villain that makes you question yourself over and over again, and Faris is a perfectly imperfect heroine, making hard choices that don't always end up being the right one. And North, and Caden
Marie
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, favorites
Yay! We have a title "SPLENDOR AND SPARK". And the cover is very pretty. Love it!
Expected Pub date: 08/14/2018
So far away but I'll try to be not so impatient.

Cover and title reveal today (and synopsis). In case you missed it, you can check it out here: http://rivetedlit.com/book/splendor-a...
Alexis Stankewitz
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have to be completely honest: I probably should have re-read Shimmer and Burn because I had no idea who any of the charaters were. Now that I've finished reading, I have a vague idea of who 5 of them were. Because of this, I really couldn't be bothered to care about anyone.
Lovely Loveday
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Splendor and Spark is the second book in the Shimmer and Burn book series and can be read as a standalone novel. However, once you read you will want to read the first book in the series. Taranta has created a unique fantasy that is compelling and unexpected.
Amber Crabb (Walker)
I stand by what I said after the first book. I think they have a wonderful plot line, convincing characters, but there's just something stilted about the writing, almost like it was rushed. I feel like these books could be twice as long as what they would be and they would be a classic.
Sam Taylor
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Powerful conclusion to this duopoly. Mary Taranta is a fabulous writer of young adult fantasy.
Kat
Dec 06, 2018
Bernice
Dec 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Sea Witch Rising (Sea Witch, #2)
  • War of the Bastards (Royal Bastards, #3)
  • The Dragon's Curse (Transference, #2)
  • Sea and Sand (Tides, #3)
  • The Triumphant (The Valiant, #3)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood #1)
  • Dance of Steel (Steel and Fire, #3)
  • Last Bus to Everland
  • Untitled (Mirage, #3)
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Practically Ever After (Ever After, #3)
  • Tiger Queen
  • True Storm (True Born Trilogy #3)
  • The Domina (Ascension, #5)
  • Transcendent (Denazen, #4)
  • When She Reigns (Fallen Isles, #3)
  • Oasis
  • Heir of Empyrial Fire (Starbright, #4)
I write stories about bloodshed and tears, and in some cases, kissing.

Born and raised in rural Ohio, I now live in the sprawling suburbs of Central Florida wherein I complain about the heat, pay homage to the air conditioner, and prefer to drink my iced tea sweet.

Shimmer and Burn (2 books)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)