Start by marking “Splendor and Spark (Shimmer and Burn, #2)” as Want to Read:
Splendor and Spark (Shimmer and Burn, #2)

Splendor and Spark

(Shimmer and Burn #2)

In this exciting follow-up to Shimmer and Burn, Faris has given up love to save her sister’s life and the dying kingdom of Avinea, but will her sacrifices be enough to overcome the poisoned magic and villains surrounding her on all sides?

The fight is just beginning.

Faris has been forced to give up the man she loves for a dangerous but necessary alliance. Her loyalty is bou
Published December 4th 2018 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Start your review of Splendor and Spark (Shimmer and Burn, #2)
mith
Am I reviewing every book i read in the past and left no review for? No, but also yes. Ish.

I’ll be frank: I didn’t think this was as good as the first book. There was a significant lack of North, but I wanna pride myself on being the kind of person that only relies on just the love interest being there lmao. (I am tho so yikes.)

Anyway I’ll keep this short: while a strong sequel and a good finale, I couldn’t enjoy this as much as book one. I missed my vicious princess and I hated the little sist
Rox
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I might be alone in this, but please can this have more Alistair??

Review:
Alright so, there was a little more Alistair but not nearly enough.
Also - I admit defeat in that I once again climbed on the wrong ship. Wrong in the sense that it is not going to set sail, I mean. I'm still of the belief it would have been a great ship! Alas, I will be sitting on this dusty old ship that's going nowhere.

"Poison on the tongue comes from poison in the heart. Not all monsters are bred in the Burn."

Anyway. T
Beatrice in Bookland
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received an arc from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

1) Shimmer and burn ★★★★☆

This duology deserves so many more fans, it's sad that the majority of readers is sleeping on it. It has everything that you want from a ya fantasy: it has a sweet and angsty romance, an original worldbuilding and complex magic system and Faris, an amazing protagonist.

I don't want to spoil anything because the boo
Sheila Goicea
1) Shimmer and Burn: ★★★★½

YESSSSS!!! GIVE ME MORE!!!

description

My Blog ¦ Bookstagram ¦ Twitter ¦ Pinterest ¦ Facebook
Princess
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from Edelweiss and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

I loved the first book in this series. I was so excited for this second part. I just didn’t feel the same vibe as I did in book one. It drug for the first half. It really picked up at the end and was very exciting. I am glad I stayed with it.
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic ending to this duology. Magical, swoon worthy, and action packed. The ending is tied up nicely, while still leaving it slightly open for more if Mary wants to write anything else in the world.
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Splendor and Spark is the second installment in author Mary Taranta's Shimmer and Burn duology. To save her sister Cadence's life, Faris Locke smuggled magic that was given to her by her mother into a plague-ridden neighboring kingdom of Avinea that is slowly being over taken by the Burn. But, after Cadence was caught trying to flee the kingdom and was sold into slavery, Faris reluctantly agreed to a lucrative scheme to buy her ba
Megan Houde
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, but not as much as the first. In a way I wanted a little more. More from Faris and North and their future. Though it does end happily, again I just wanted more!
Amber Crabb (Walker)
I stand by what I said after the first book. I think they have a wonderful plot line, convincing characters, but there's just something stilted about the writing, almost like it was rushed. I feel like these books could be twice as long as what they would be and they would be a classic.
Bookish Me
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Can't wait for more Faris and North !
Kimberly (Book Swoon)
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
SPLENDOR AND SPARK by Mary Taranta is the second book in the Shimmer and Burn series that is filled danger, dark enchantments, and manipulative intrigue!

The story takes place shortly after the ending of Shimmer and Burn as the dangers of the Burn still threatens the kingdom of Avinea. In this book, readers can look forward to discovering the backstory of North’s father and the magic that created the Burn.

Once again, the setting is brimming with darkness and danger as the Burn comes ever closer
Hetal
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
[ ALERT: Can't remember what happened in Shimmer and Burn?
Visit my new blog Recap the Rapture for in-depth recaps of some of your favorite books!]

3.65ish

Splendor and Spark is a lovely follow up to Mary Taranta's debut novel Shimmer and Burn. We pick up with Faris and North who have kind of been bamboozled by King Perrote and Bryn. North's people hate him and want an easy way out. They want the burn gone and they want clean magic solve their problems once again. However North is determined to
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Splendor and Spark (Shimmer and Burn #2) by Mary Taranta, 320 pages. Margaret K. McElderry Books (Simon & Schuster), 2018. $18.99

Language: PG-13 (20 swears, 0 "f"); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG-13

BUYING ADVISORY: HS – OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Plum Report (Kimberly)
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-reviewed
I received an ARC of SPLENDOR AND SPARK from the author, Mary Taranta in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

North's quest to save the kingdom of Avinea and Faris's quest to save her sister, Cadence continue in this second book of the duology series.

SPLENDOR AND SPARK ventures into the Burn with more action and adventure. As much as I enjoyed book 1, I enjoyed book 2 even more. It's hard to compare the two books since they're both a part of a larger story. Plus, it's as if North and Faris a
Allison Lassiter
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Strong finish for this two part series. I am deeply appreciative that Taranta doesn’t stretch this into three books. Unlike many authors, she has a clear understanding of her narrative and it’s cadence and doesn’t slow it down in order to add “deleted scene” type content. The pace of both books was excellent but particularly here. There were not any slow sequences though there were moments where it could have happened. The first book didn’t feel slow to me either on the first reading; it was onl ...more
Lynndell
Adventure within a dark fantasy world!
Thanks to NetGalley and Margaret K. McElderry Books for the opportunity to read and review Splendor and Spark by Mary Taranta!
North is on a path he doesn’t necessarily want but feels that he has to be on. Faris and Cadence are prisoners still. Bryn seems to be gaining everything she wants, power and to be queen. Cadence adores Bryn and she shows nothing but disdain for Faris. Faris struggles to let her sister be until she finally gives in to the fact that l
Carro Herdegen
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language: PG13 (20 swears, 0 "f"); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG13
Faris feels trapped—by Bryn’s and her mother’s spells, by the poison in North’s blood and her own blood, by the emotional distance that now separates her from Cadence. Saving Cadence has always been Faris’s priority, but now, with Perrote in North’s castle and Merlock out in the Burn somewhere, saving her sister might cost more than Faris ever imagined.
Picking up this book was impossible without rereading the first, and, while
Daria Danley
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was just as fantastic as the last!

I almost never give 5 stars for a reason, I almost always find something I don't like about a book. With this one: there was not enough North.

Splendor and Spark was a fabulous conclusion to a wonderful duology. There is magic, blood, battle, wicked kings. The pacing was great, I was aching to read every chapter. There were spots where the plot could have dragged on and on and on, but it didn't. Everything was so fast paced and I was truly amazed.

Alth
Elyse
This was not as good as the first book, something is missing.

Prince Corbin, aka North have married Bryn and now act like a stranger toward Faris. Her little sister blames her for the misery she suffers and hate her. Thankfully, Bryn and Cadence are not too present in this book and I found them quite detestable.

Corbin, Faris & a team travel in order to fin & kill King Merlock, it is the only way to end the Burn once and for all. Then it a game of hide a seek for ¾ of the book with a few
Lauren
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whew. After only getting about 1/3 of the way through with this one, and then taking a month “off” to read Romance, I have finally finished this book. And I’m so glad! Not only because I’ve been “Currently Reading” it for a month, but because it was an excellent sequel to this duology!

I had read a review that said North was not featured a lot in this book, and I got scared and sad. I knew romance was not going to be big in this one, given everything (and there wasn’t), but I’d say North was part
Bookworm
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This author has a lot of potential. She's not one of my favorites yet but I would definitely read another book by her should she decided to write more.
Splendor and Spark was intriguing with enough twists that it wasn't completely predictable like some books. It ended well leaving the possibility of a 3rd open but also summing it up enough that another book is not necessary.
However, the author needs to explain what happened to Faris and North's mothers. Enough was mentioned about them that they
Karma Hope
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
I know I need to stop having such specific things I want to see happen in sequels, it only leads to disappointment. Reading this book was fraught with annoyance. I was so irritated with Faris and equally North. Nothing happened with Alistair the way I wanted it to - he said a couple of things that got my hopes up but in the end.......he was a very minor player in the story. Cadence may go down as one of the most irritating characters of all time!!! I suppose all's well that ends well but I defin ...more
Marie
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, 2018
Yay! We have a title "SPLENDOR AND SPARK". And the cover is very pretty. Love it!
Expected Pub date: 08/14/2018
So far away but I'll try to be not so impatient.

Cover and title reveal today (and synopsis). In case you missed it, you can check it out here: http://rivetedlit.com/book/splendor-a...
Lovely Loveday
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Splendor and Spark is the second book in the Shimmer and Burn book series and can be read as a standalone novel. However, once you read you will want to read the first book in the series. Taranta has created a unique fantasy that is compelling and unexpected.
Alexis Stankewitz
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have to be completely honest: I probably should have re-read Shimmer and Burn because I had no idea who any of the charaters were. Now that I've finished reading, I have a vague idea of who 5 of them were. Because of this, I really couldn't be bothered to care about anyone.
Sam Taylor
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Powerful conclusion to this duopoly. Mary Taranta is a fabulous writer of young adult fantasy.
LeAnna
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a good sequel! I love the way the story was told. I really hope there is a third book, not that we need one, but come on, we NEED one!
Gemma F
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than Book 1 with a fitting ending.
Alexandra Taranta
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really wish this duology was a series. I loved this world and would love to explore more of it. Taranta does a great job leaving the reader both satisfied and longing for more.
Maree
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
This was just a bit too weird for me. And it dragged on in the middle. There were some sweet parts and interesting turns, but not enough to redeem it as a whole.

• Find Me Their Bones (Bring Me Their Hearts, #2)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • The Shadow Wand (The Black Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • I Killed Zoe Spanos
  • The Deceiver's Heart (The Traitor's Game, #2)
  • In a Dream You Saw a Way to Survive
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
  • Roses and Rot
  • The Raven and the Reindeer
  • The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1)
  • Averno
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)
  • The Firethorn Crown (Firethorn Chronicles, #1)
  • Starter Zone (The Revelation Chronicles, #1)
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Traveler's Zone (The Revelation Chronicles #2)
I write stories about bloodshed and tears, and in some cases, kissing.

Born and raised in rural Ohio, I now live in the sprawling suburbs of Central Florida wherein I complain about the heat, pay homage to the air conditioner, and prefer to drink my iced tea sweet.

Shimmer and Burn (2 books)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)