Start by marking “I'm Sad” as Want to Read:
I'm Sad

I'm Sad

(I'm Bored! #2)

A girl, a potato, and a very sad flamingo star in this charming sequel to I’m Bored by New York Times bestselling author and comedian Michael Ian Black and celebrated illustrator Debbie Ridpath Ohi.

Everyone feels sad sometimes—even flamingos.

Sigh.

When Flamingo announces he’s feeling down, the little girl and Potato try to cheer him up, but nothing seems to work. Not even
Published June 5th 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I'm Sad, please sign up.
Teresa Usually, picture books are geared towards ages 4-8, but because of the relevance of the topic--sadness affects everyone of every age--your 10 year old…moreUsually, picture books are geared towards ages 4-8, but because of the relevance of the topic--sadness affects everyone of every age--your 10 year old grand-daughter might enjoy it, too.(less)

cynthia Clark
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read a lot of children's books, but this book particularly impressed me. I wish that, as a child, I had received more messages like this about how emotions are natural and should be accepted, not overcome.
Vannessa Anderson
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-children
I fell in love with the cleverness in using unorthodox characters to tell the story. The three characters tell one another what brings out their sadness. They talk about how they cope with their sadness but what works for one will not work for the other two. Then they find there is one thing they share that will bring them out of sadness.

We learn that it is all right to be sad sometimes.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A flamingo is sad, and his friends are trying to cheer him up. This little book is a good book for starting a conversation about difficult feelings.
RJ
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, storytime
Strikes a great balance between sincere, mature message of "it's ok to be sad! sometimes you will feel sad and cheering up won't work but you can just let yourself be sad and it probably won't last forever", and being light and funny enough for a storytime.
Jeffrey Babbitt
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is brilliant! I love the grumpy little talking potato and the shaky lines around the pink flamingo. The three characters are so individualized and complementary, established immediately with both text and illustrations. A sad, young friend of mine gave it a thumbs down, so I didn't expect to like it. I think maybe she felt invalidated by the insistence that "you won't always be sad." But the message is actually very accepting and it ends with a confident reassurance that "I like you al ...more
Christina Carter
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-excursion
Note: Review of Advance Reader Copy | Book Releases on 6/5/18

"Everyone feels sad sometimes. Even Flamingos," and if you're lucky, you might have friends like the kindhearted girl and the concerned potato in the book I'm Sad to help you when you're down.

I can't help but to be encouraged by this story because, yeah, sometimes we feel sad and its okay. I look at the flamingo as courageous because it was brave enough to say that it was feeling sad. That alone isn't easy. Sure, we all have experienc
Natasha
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has such a great message! It teaches children how to be okay with emotions especially hard emotions!
Taylor Kundel-Gower
I needed this
Shelle Perry
I follow artist Debbie Ridpath Ohi on Twitter because a retweet of her whimsical doodles encompassing everyday objects made my news feed so much more fun to visit. Plus, I homeschool a budding graphic novel artist and her website is filled with fantastic resources. I was enchanted when posts about her newest release written by author Michael Ian Black, “I’m Sad”, started showing up in my feed. The cover art was exactly the playful vibrant sketches I have come to love from her and exactly the thi ...more
Angie Quantrell
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Perfectly done. It's OK to feel sad. Every illustration and word is perfect.
Eleanor W
Jun 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say this book made me sad....The flamingo on the front is adorable but the content inside was meh.

I understand the need to teach children that being sad is ok, and it is very important. I think this missed the mark....around the time the potato was added in. I have not read "I'm bored" so maybe that is where the potato came in...so maybe if I get around to reading that one I will change my rating of this one. As a stand alone book I would only give it a one though.
Michelle
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute and thoughtful points on feeling sad. Will help all readers remember that you are still you when you're sad and that it's okay to be sad.
Kelly
This is nice because it tells you it's okay to be sad. It's not really funny like their other books, but it is a bit silly.
Paula
Everyone feels sad sometimes. We meet a girl, a potato, and a sad flamingo who talk over their thoughts and feelings before coming to realize it's ok to feel sad. We don't have to make our friends stop feeling what they are feeling, we can just be there for them with understanding and compassion. Part of a series of "I'm books" in which Michael Ian Black helps children understand their experiences with a sense of compassionate curiosity. Illustrations by Debbie Ridpath Ohi are visually appealing ...more
Erin
This is a FANTASTIC book about sadness/grief. It's OK to feel sad, it won't last forever, and different things make different people/animals/potatoes feel better. There is some humor, too, although I don't quite want to "shelve" it as humor. But it did make my coworker laugh out loud, which is what brought the book to my attention in the first place!

The illustrations are outstanding--similar to Mo Willems in the way that a few lines and relatively simple drawings perfectly capture the thoughts,
Emily
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet title reassuring kids that you're allowed to feel sad.
David
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant emotional health. Wish all “adults” would read this.
Asha
Mar 21, 2019 added it
A cute book about how sometimes you’re sad and that’s perfectly okay.
Rebecca Gomez
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple and direct, and a little bit silly, which I like. Good book to foster discussions about sadness and other emotions.
Kaethe Douglas
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm Sad - Michael Ian Black,Debbie Ridpath Ohi  Punchy art, amusing characters and story. It has a point, but isn't too heavy-handed about getting there.

Library copy
Terri
The potato was such a great character. The book tells a great message about how it's okay to feel sad and that your friends and family will love you no matter what you're feeling, but that potato, man. What a star.
Marcie
I like this even more than I'm Bored! I know so many adults who will benefit from this!
Stephanie
interesting look at being sad and trying to explain why using cute illustrations!
Brittany
I waited *forever* for this book and it pretty much let me down. Not as good as the first one, and that makes me so sad. It does a good job explaining that it is ok to be sad sometimes in a funny way, but it just missed that mark for me. Illustrations are still pretty amazing, and it has a flamingo...so I give it three stars.
Ron Turner
Not much to it but I like the message that it's okay to feel sad.
Cecilia
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for well-written kids books about depression, especially childhood depression. I like books about it being okay to just feel sad. This book can be interpreted as either one of them.

Essentially a Flamingo is sad. It's two friends (a grumpy potato and a cheerful little girl) try to cheer up Flamingo, but Flamingo's sadness just doesn't budge. But, they reassure Flamingo that that persistence of sadness can be normal too--and that's ok!

Ben Truong
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm Sad is a children's picture book written by Michael Ian Black and illustrated by Debbie Ridpath Ohi, which tells about a sad flamingo, a potato, and a little girl. It is a sequel or companion book to I'm Bored.

Black's text is simplistic and straightforward. It is a quaint and surprisingly deep story about a sad flamingo and a girl and a potato trying to comfort and cheer the flamingo up. The text isn't linear, which I usually hate, but it’s part of the charm and dynamic of the book. Ohi's il
Tasha
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Flamingo is very sad today. He wonders if he will ever feel better. A little girl and a potato, yes a potato, try to explain about emotions and feelings. At times the three of them get a bit down all together, but they quickly turn to a plan to cheer up Flamingo. The girl and potato think of things that they love, but they don’t work for Flamingo. He doesn’t eat ice cream or dirt. In the end, they decide that sometimes it’s OK to just be sad. Flamingo worries that his friends won’t like him if h ...more
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-2
I had no idea that potatoes felt sadness, but alright.
Gretchen Taylor
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids had a wonderful discussion about honoring their and other people’s feelings, and also about the importance of taking care of each other.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Little Red Fort
  • The Cranky Ballerina
  • I Am Bat
  • Friends
  • Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness (Ordinary Terrible Things)
  • Sarabella's Thinking Cap
  • Shawn Loves Sharks
  • Night Out
  • Baabwaa and Wooliam: A Tale of Literacy, Dental Hygiene, and Friendship
  • Letters to a Prisoner
  • Jérôme par coeur
  • Rabbit and Robot and Ribbit
  • Penguin Problems
Michael Ian Black (very famous) is a popular comedian who began his career with The State, a sketch comedy troupe he co-founded at New York University in 1988, which went on to have a successful run on MTV. He then co-created the Comedy Central television series "Viva Variety," a fake European variety show. From there, he appeared on several television shows before landing the role of Phil Stubbs, ...more

I'm Bored! (3 books)