Start by marking “What Do They Do with All That Poo?” as Want to Read:
What Do They Do with All That Poo?

What Do They Do with All That Poo?

Find out what happens to all of the poo at the zoo in this funny and factual picture book!

There are so many different kinds of animals at the zoo, and they each make lots and lots (and sometimes LOTS!) of poo. So what do zoos do with all of that poo? This zany, fact-filled romp explores zoo poo, from cube-shaped wombat poo to white hyena scat, and all of the places it ends
Published June 19th 2018 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about What Do They Do with All That Poo?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Do They Do with All That Poo?

Melissa
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you have kids, poo books are just all the rage, right? But it's more fun as the reader when the facts you learn are fascinating. Who knew poo books could teach so much? The 4 year old always giggles about learning about bats having to turn right side up at night so they don't poo on themselves. And now we'll be checking out the local zoo to see if they sell Elephant Poo Paper, because who wouldn't want some of that? :) And of course, we had to google wombat poo after reading so we could see i ...more
Vicki
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved all of the facts in this book! I can totally picture reading this with my nephews and having them laugh their heads off and also learn a bunch. The only problem is the answer to the title question is anti-climactic and also a little unclear (weirdly). I feel like this book's strength isn't the answer to the title question but instead the cool facts about each animal throughout.

Also, I'm not sure how much of a problem this is for most children's science books, but I fear this c
Garrett
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it-rhymes, story-time
Why do I love this non-fiction children's book about poo so much?

No, I'm asking--please explain it to me. WHY?
Earl
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating read about the different kinds of poop zoo animals have and the various ways they are used afterwards.
Heidi
While the subject of this book is rather gross, it's also a fact of life. And the title question is a good one. I have to admit that when I heard the title for the first time, I was both grossed out and intrigued. Grossed out for obvious reasons. Intrigued because I was curious to know the answer. And I think that at least some young readers are bound to be intrigued as well. And since the book is nonfiction it treats the subject matter in a straight-forward, down-to-earth manner. The book start ...more
Kristen
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
There is a lot I like about this book. First off, the illustrations are nice (even when they are picturing poo). It kind of reminds me of Curious George.

Secondly, they have two sizes of fonts of each page. The bigger font with a contrasting color is short and rhymes. This makes it great to read to younger children who might not sit through a lot text. The smaller text at the bottom, which is a different shade of the background, blends in more with the page but not enough that it is hard to read.
Amanda
Jul 28, 2018 added it
This book is fascinating and disgusting. The Victorian in me has never wondered what zoos do with animal waste. I would have never picked this book off the shelf; I only read it because it was required. But on the other hand, did you know that they make paper out of elephant waste? I know what I'm getting next time I need a gag gift. I predict that kids will love this book.
Alisha
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great informative book about animal poo. Answers questions like: why is hyena's poop white? Do lions hide their poo like domestic cats? What animal has square poo? And of course, what do zoo's do with all that poo? Sure to be a hit with elementary-age students.
Emily
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is actually one of the most interesting books I've read in a long, long time. Who knew that wombat poo is cubical? Who knew about wombat poo?
If you get paper from me for Christmas, you might consider the source.
Yamile Méndez
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: june-2018
Oh! I love dit soooo much!
Amber
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
Very educational, even I learned a few new facts. My 6yr old nephew enjoyed listening to me read it.
Baby Bookworm
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is What Do They Do With All That Poo?, written by Jane Kurtz and illustrated by Allison Black, a wild and wonderful look at zoo animals’ poo.

There are lots and lots of animals at the zoo, and they have lots and lots to eat. And well, you know what comes next – they poo! There are as many types of poop as there are different animals: small and hard, big and stinky,
Ben Truong
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm babysitting my nieces tonight and it is the eldest turn to choose the book and she chosen this one. What Do They Do with All That Poo? is a children's picture book written by Jane Kurtz and illustrated by Allison Black. It is a book about a zoo and how all the different type of animals – well poop. However, more importantly, what they do with it.

Levine's text is rather straightforward, humorous, and almost poetic. The main text, which is directed to younger children are simple rhymes on how
Susan
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
#partner #blueslipmedia

What Do They Do With All That Poo?

Written by Jane Kurtz @writerjanie

Illustrated by Allison Black @alisonblackillustration

Published by Beach Lane Books @simonkids

Thank you to #blueslipmedia for sharing a free copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

I never thought I’d be reviewing a book with poo in the title, but after reading this nonfiction book I’m so happy I agreed to do just that! I can imagine reading this during a storytime to 4-7 year olds. The kids won’t be ab
Cindy Hudson
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Do They Do With All That Poo? by Jane Kurtz taps into the fascination most kids have with the concept that everything poops. On a tour of zoo animals Kurtz sneaks in education about what animals eat and how that affects the waste that comes out of their bodies.

For instance, “a penguin shoots its poo out in a fishy-smelling streak.” Since penguins don’t have teeth, “fish go through them fairly rapidly.” Kids learn about hippos using dung to mark their territory, wombats pooping cube shapes,
Tasha
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anyone working with children and books knows that the rather naughty subjects of poop, peeing and farting are some of the most popular. In this book, science is mixed in as well, showing what zoos do with all of the animal poop they have. First the book explains what poo is, then moves into showing different types of animal poop like giraffe, panda, hippo and elephant. The book then goes on to explain that most of the poop heads to landfills after being loaded into trucks. Some poop goes to labs ...more
Shaye Miller
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
How excited I was to WIN THIS BOOK from Unleashing Readers, last month! This book is basically what the title says. It starts out introducing various sizes, shapes, and colors of animal poo. Then it goes on to explain what zoos can do with the poo, ranging from sending it to landfills, to having it scientifically studied, to using it as compost. The pages are full of bright-eyed animals, pooing in their zoo-made habitats, with lots of scientific information on what animals eat and how their poo ...more
Aeicha
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever visited the zoo and wondered what the heck they do with ALL the animal poo? I'm sure it's a question many of the little readers in your life have asked...well, author Jane Kurtz has answered this very question in her fun, factual, and delightful new picture book What Do They Do With All That Poo?

Kurtz tackles this smelly topic with charming humor, simple and easily understood text, and fascinating poo facts. From positively astonishing poo facts (wombats have square poo! bats have
Lauren- The Smile Lines
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to #kidlitexchange for sharing a review copy of this book!
What Do They Do With All That Poo?
Released on 6/19/18
I could NOT help but wonder what this book was all about!! As soon as my kids saw the cover and title~ THEY were hooked! Anything kind of gross is a hit with these two!
The illustrations in this book definitely make you giggle. It has a ton of information about that initial question. The answers shocked me!
I like how the book has information on the top and bottom of each page.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
What Do They Do With All That Poo? by Jane Kurtz, illustrated by Allison Black. PICTURE BOOK/NON-FICTION. Beach Lane Books (Simon & Schuster), 2018. $18. 978-4818-7986-8

EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

This book is all about the poo in a zoo, from who makes what kind, to what happens to it at the end of the day. The book includes a rhythmic and rhyming text paired with a section on each page that offers more in depth information.

Do not be put off by the stinky subject matter! This book has bright and en
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
This book was pretty interesting. I loved learning all about the different kinds of poo. I know that sounds pretty strange, but it was quite fascinating. I never knew that Sloths creep down from trees to poo or that wombat's poo is cube-shaped. It was also cool to learn about what they do with all that poo at the zoo and how it can help the environment. It is a book that kids will find super funny and interesting at the same time. A great book for schools and home.
Margaret Boling
11/3/2018 ~~ Picture book non-fiction. Rhyming text to introduce each animal & concept. A brief informational paragraph to give more details about the animals' poo. I would have given 5 stars, but a few of the ending facts seemed out of order. Once the author started talking about poo disposal (composting, etc.), I didn't want to read about individual animals' poo again.

I will be buying this book for my elementary library; I know my young readers will enjoy an entire book devoted to poo!
Tracy
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Thanks to the publisher for the review copy. All opinions are my own.

What do zoos do with all that poo? I've never had the slightest bit of curiosity about this question before. But once it was raised, I was pretty curious about what zoos do with up to 5,000 lbs of poo each day. This book is packed with information about animals and their...byproducts...on the front end. The second half shares all the creative ways zoos use animal poo. Just when you think authors have thought of everything!
Katie
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book as soon as I saw it on the 2019 2x2 list! A book about poop? Who knew that would interest me? I think kids will love the gross-out factor of this book but I also learned a lot of things that I didn't know about animal poop. I gave it to a 4th grader and he was fascinated so I can't wait to see what the younger students think of it too!
Roben
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are so many things to love about this book -- first, I like that there is a simple story that is accessible to children of all ages. Then, below that, there is more information about each of the animals if you want to know more! I learned things. I had no idea that wombat poo is cube-shaped. The book is funny AND educational - a great combination.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preschool-1st grade
A fine question, indeed! Readers can share this story a couple of ways: read the rhyming couplets aloud to a class or include 1-2 sentences of nonfiction detail provided at the bottom for the more inquisitive (or older) crowds. Sure to keep the interest (and tickle the funny bone) of many listeners.

Reviewed by: Miss Kelsey, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Heather
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-doesnt-suck
I picked this one up for my five-year-old after a recent trip to the zoo. Besides appealing to his toilet humour, this book was actually really cute and very informative. Besides detailing what they do with all that poo, the book also discusses the biological differences between various types of animal poop, and the role of poop in animal behaviour. I learned a thing or two.
Barbra
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“At zoo after zoo the animals chew. And then...they poo!“ This informative colorful picture book not only describes different types of poo, but the animal that go with them, and their behavior. It also answers the question. A great book for little ones to learn all about that subject that makes them giggle.
Kelsey
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten

Jean
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, this book is fascinating. I learned so much about animal poo and had to tell everyone in my family all of the facts! Kids will love this book, it says poo over and over, is all about poo, and has tidbits of non-fiction info, which they love. The pictures are colorful and fun, especially the animals that look really happy with their poo!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Plants Can't Sit Still
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • Creature Features: Twenty-Five Animals Explain Why They Look the Way They Do
  • Earth! My First 4.54 Billion Years
  • Can an Aardvark Bark?
  • How to Be an Elephant
  • The Boo-Boos That Changed the World: A True Story about an Accidental Invention (Really!)
  • A Chicken Followed Me Home!: Questions and Answers about a Familiar Fowl
  • Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
  • Born in the Wild: Baby Mammals and Their Parents
  • Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles
  • What Makes a Monster?: Discovering the World's Scariest Creatures
Jane Kurtz was born in Portland, Oregon, but when she was two years old, her parents moved to Ethiopia. Jane grew up in Maji, a small town in the southwest corner of the country.
Since there were no televisions, radios, or movies, her memories are of climbing mountains, wading in rivers by the waterfalls, listening to stories, and making up her own stories, which she and her sisters acted out for