Start by marking “Lying in Wait” as Want to Read:
Lying in Wait

Lying in Wait

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  18,620 ratings  ·  2,666 reviews
My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it.

On the surface, Lydia Fitzsimons has the perfect life—wife of a respected, successful judge, mother to a beloved son, mistress of a beautiful house in Dublin. That beautiful house, however, holds a secret. And when Lydia’s son, Laurence, discovers its secret, wheels are set in motion that lead to
Published June 12th 2018 by Gallery/Scout Press

To ask other readers questions about Lying in Wait, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alex
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jaime I absolutely thought she did it too. Strange coincidence. It doesn’t seem like Lydia to let Laurence leave for so long, especially at that point. She …moreI absolutely thought she did it too. Strange coincidence. It doesn’t seem like Lydia to let Laurence leave for so long, especially at that point. She was very desperate to keep him close. (less)

·  18,620 ratings  ·  2,666 reviews

Start your review of Lying in Wait
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*4.5 Stars*

So, couple things—
this author’s last name is Nugent, and not “Nugget” like the chicken, as I’d been so daftly repeating in my head, and to some actual humans as well, embarrassingly enough. It only took a full four days of the truth staring me directly in the face via hardcover to finally get it right.

But, who can possibly worry about the words on a cover when its insides are crawling with compulsive psychological mayhem brought to you in a tightly twisted package, glistening on an al
j e w e l s
FIVE PERFECT STARS

Go ahead, click on Want to Read. Because you do. You will. You must.

I’m at a loss here. Positively verklempt. How do I tell you how perfect this book is without gushing? When other books fail to reach my expectations, I can rattle off the reasons I didn’t like it. With great ones, I just stumble all over myself. I apologize.

I knew this book would be good, I just didn’t know how good. The answer is: LYING IN WAIT is the new standard that all psychological suspense and crime fic
Paromjit
I chose this book on the description given by the publisher, I just could not resist it. The first line of the book is a killer, it just draws you into this extraordinary dark and disturbing psychological thriller. It is set in 1980s Dublin. The characters are loathsome, yet you cannot help but want to know more about them. The more you read, the murkier the story becomes, as it delves in depth into the two disparate families. There is the respectable family of the Judge, his wife and son, Laure ...more
Christina - Traveling Sister
5, uhhhh what did I just read, that was wild stars!!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe and a Read!!!

*Looks up synonyms to holy shit* Wowzers ya’ll, that was Grade-A Crazy Town from start to finish! I’ve read a few psychological thrillers that threw me for a loop and redefined the genre. However, I think this is the first true psychological suspense novel that has set the bar absurdly high. Family dramas are honestly just not my favorite. For whatever reason, I get lost in all the mess and
Elyse  Walters
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas Day is Lydia’s only son, Lawrence’s birthday, and the day her husband, Andrew died.....displacing a turkey carcass from its serving platter, falling face down across the table, his hair in turkey grease.
...Andrew drove a vintage jaguar sedan... wore a trilby hat.
He killed a girl named Annie.
...Lydia says it was an accident - but she deserved it......
...Lydia isn’t an innocent bystander,
...Lawrence isn’t an innocent bystander...

The one person you trust may be telling you only half th
Norma
Happy Canadian Publication Day to Liz Nugent!
November 27, 2018

Wowza!!! 5 Absolutely Perfect Stars! Favourite 2018 Read!

Oh my goodness, LYING IN WAIT by LIZ NUGENT was an absolutely fantastic and unputdownable read that had me totally consumed with curiosity right from the moment I read that killer opening line. I was hooked and the suspense was so intense that I was flipping through those pages as fast as I possibly could.

LYING IN WAIT by LIZ NUGENT is an engrossing, dark, disturbing, and drama
Julie
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent is a 2018 Gallery/Scout Press publication.

Sad, darkly humorous, and thoroughly chilling!

When Annie Doyle disappears, it has a profound effect on her sister, Karen. Law enforcement officials are not at all helpful, having made up their minds what kind of girl Annie was, deciding she wasn’t worth much effort on their part. But Karen never gives up trying to find out what happened to her sister.

Laurence Fitzsimons, a lonely, overweight boy discovers a dark secret ab
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, suspense
Loved this book!

If there were ever a book to capture dark, comedic noir, this would be the one for 2018. This book is incredibly twisted, and yet there was levity and humor despite the darkness of the book. I felt “WTF?!” in the best way when reading this! Liz Nugent really has a talent for writing. I loved how this book was told like the characters repeating a story from some point in time after the events had happened, rather than experiencing it live. That may not sound appealing, but I belie
Debra
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh! What a clever, clever Author you are Liz Nugent!

So, the entire book, I am thinking "what gives? I mean, seriously what gives? I like the book, I think it is good, but what is with all the hoopla?" Then I got to the home stretch and the hoopla kicked it into high gear!

This was a fabulous twisted psychological thriller that doesn't disappoint. Nugent takes motherhood, unhealthy relationships, obsession, mental illness, secrets and murder to a whole new level in this book. The reader knows wha
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***GREAT HALLOWEEN READ***

Well this is amazing, a psychological thriller that really delivers and definitely lives up to the buzz and reviews that are generating for this book. It was crazy creepy, sometimes almost made me gasp (I’m not kidding here), this is one heck of a good read.

This book features a true psychopath, the meaning of which is “Psychopathy is a personality disorder which has symptoms expressed over a wide range of settings.Socially, it expresses extensive callous and manipulati
jessica
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
what a bizarrely intriguing story.

this wasnt quite what i thought it was going to be and i feel hesitant to consider this a mystery/thriller. there definitely is a crime element to the story, but i never felt any suspense or anticipation for some big reveal. this is a story about a crime committed (in the first chapter) and how two families lives proceed and intertwine after that crime. its definitely a good character study.

the overall motives/surrounding circumstances for the crime are a littl
Diane S ☔
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Insidiously dark, an undertone of creepiness, and all done without graphic gore. This is my kind of psychological thriller, one that keeps you guessing, proving one wrong when I was sure I knew where this was going. Oh, the chains that bind, the relationships that corrupt, the hope that dwindles. Unreliable narrators, where would novels be without them. The question is who or are all of the narrators telling this story, unreliable? Are any of them on the up and up?

Tautly plotted, unraveling at
Dita
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most perfect books I have ever read. That is all.
Jennifer Masterson
Creeeeeepy!!! 4.5 Stars for “Lying In Wait”! This dark and twisted novel sucked me in from the very beginning and never let go. I’m late to the party but thanks to my Goodreads friends I attended it anyway. The mother was so freaking twisted!!!

I listened to the audio. This was well narrated and extremely well written! The only reason I docked it half a star was because at times it felt a tiny bit slow for my taste but otherwise it was brilliant!

Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys psychologi
Felicia
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think there should be a new fiction genre called The Best Books Ever. If there were a genre called The Best Books Ever this book would be the Best Book Ever in the genre Best Books Ever.

This book is so much dark and creepy fun. I absolutely loved it from the starting line "My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it." to the "WTF did I just read?" ending.

The story is told from three points of view in alternating chapters. The in-flipping-sane mother, Lydia, he
Kendall
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I chose this book based on the description of the cover with this opening line "My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it"...

I was gravitated to this little baby right away and was anxious to dive right in. I have read many disappointing psychological thrillers over the last couple of months and was thinking that this one would be the same but Liz Nugent did a slam dunk with this psychological thriller.

I would have to say it's more of a slow-burning thriller.
Carrie
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent certainly starts off with a bang (and on my birthday no less) that gets one’s attention, a husband and wife are out late one night and the husband strangles a young women with the wife coming in to finish her off. WHAT?? A murder duo? At that point the book definitely grabbed my interest.

You see, Lydia Fitzsimons and her husband got a little carried away covering up their secrets. The young woman was a drug addicted prostitute so who would possibly miss her? Lydia tel
Linda
Crazy people go through the forest by taking the psycho path......

Strange how people never quite reveal every card in their deck. They wear that poker face day in and day out and keep the Joker locked inside the vault.

Lydia Fitzsimon and her husband, Andrew, have found themselves on a cold, deserted beach outside of Dublin. Hardly alone, since you've got to count that body in the trunk of the Jaguar. Andrew's hands must have squeezed a little too tight. Odd behavior for a judge who would never w
Katie B

This was a pretty darn near perfect read for me. I read this over the holidays and I kept forgetting to post a review until now. So my apologies in advance that not having it fresh in my mind will prevent me from doing this book justice as it was one of my favorite reads in the psychological thriller genre last year.

Things are not always as they appear. To the outside world Lydia Fitzsimons seems to have it all. She lives in a beautiful house with her husband, a well-respected judge, a
Tammy
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The best part of this novel is the first sentence and it’s a doozy. It’s downhill from there. I enjoyed Nugent’s first novel, Unraveling Oliver, her second lacks tension. Told from the points of view of a mother, a son and a dead girl’s sister it reads like a sophomoric high school essay.
Nazanin
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, thriller
4 Stars

My first read by this author was "Unraveling Oliver" and I didn’t like it but I really enjoyed this one and I’m glad that I read it! Liz Nugent definitely has her own special writing style. Her style is not my usual read because from the first chapter you know about the victim and the murderer but that’s what makes it more interesting! It was a bit slow but yet again I couldn’t put it down and stop reading! I don’t count it as a mystery but it was definitely a great thriller though!

The st
Carol (Bookaria)
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a chilling and well-crafted novel!

"My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it."

That is the first line of the book and what follows is a captivating and engrossing novel. Lydia Fiztsimons is the wife of a respectable Judge and loving mother to Lawrence. They live in a beautiful and large house which holds a macabre secret.

That's all I can say without revealing too much. Once I started reading I couldn't put this book down. This is a novel about dysfunctiona
BernLuvsBooks
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Chilling and Creepy Mommy Dearest Stars

In honor of St. Paddy’s Day I joined in on a backlist buddy read of this thriller set in Dublin, Ireland. It starts off strong with a murder at the forefront. You will find yourself compulsively turning the pages, unable to stop reading about the disturbing dynamics within the Fitzsimons family.

The middle dragged a bit for me causing me to skim here and there though I was worried I'd miss something so I found myself going back to make sure at times. 🤣
Susanne  Strong
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 Dark, Ominous and Oh So Sinister Stars!

Lydia is a woman of many secrets.
Secrets she keeps from everyone, including her husband, Andrew and her son Lawrence. Of course, each knows a tidbit of something here or there, whether it’s the truth remains to be seen, and that’s the way she likes it.

Laurence is Way too trusting.
Shame on him!

Karen is obsessed.
Searching for her sister Annie, who went missing 6 years ago, it has become her life’s work. Smart, beautiful, needy. If only she could see
Dem
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liz Nugent's opening line in this twisted and devious page turning mystery certainly creates an impact.

My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it.

Having loved Liz Nugent's previous novel Unravelling Oliver Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent I was thrilled to get an opportunity to read her latest novel Lying in Wait and I certainly was not disappointed as her plot lines, character development and writing is sharp and vivid and this author certainly knows how to tell a story. I have read a lo
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
I read Lying in Wait with five of my Traveling Sisters and it made for another fantastic discussion. We highly recommend for group reads!

Lying in Wait’s first line caught our attention, peaked our interest and we all flew through this one as fast and we could. It's one of the most intriguing starts to a book we have read. The ending left quite an impression with us all too. It had us jumping up out of our chairs, throwing our arms up and cheering or yelling and chanting WOW or WHAT did I just re
Michelle
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: c-w-mars
Liz Nugent you are one crafty lady. *claps hands*

A husband and wife. A son. A murder.

I'm not going to rehash the plot but just know this: I thought this book was brilliant. It was so much fun and I raced through the pages.

I'm a little up in the air on the ending. I can't quite decide if I was satisfied with it or not. I suppose I was satisfied but I just found it really sad. I will say that the ending was definitely not what I was expecting when starting this book so I've got to give Ms. Nugen
Zoeytron
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
What lies beyond the kitchen window?

Here we have a mum who will do anything to hang onto her boy, Lawrence, despite the fact that he is grown now, and raring to get out on his own.  Who else would take care of her?  Mum is used to getting her own way.  Is she insane or merely obsessed?  And that ancient tube of screaming scarlet lipstick that is saved for special, could that have been any creepier?

Here is a psychological thriller that won't let you down.  The opening sentence was killer, and t
Debbie
"My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it."

Seriously, with an opener like that, how could I not keep reading? Who in the world says “the lying tramp deserved it”? Who is this person?! I must follow her around. I must! And I mean immediately. Thus begins my clenched trip down the psycho’s path.

But the sad truth is, you know one psycho, you know them all. They sort of all seem the same—mean, sly, twisted, clever. After all, evil is evil. I guess what I’m trying
Marialyce
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
4 wow this was quite the creepy story stars!
My reviews can be found here: https://yayareadslotsofbooks.wordpres...

"Determination becomes obsession and then it becomes all that matters."

Lydia has it all or so it seems. She is married to a judge, Andrew, has a son. Lawrence, whom she loves to an obsession, and a huge home. For many the signs pointed to a happy life and yet, Lydia is anything but happy. She is a scheming plotting woman who wants what she wants and will do what she feels is necessa
removing books from read status. 2 25 Oct 07, 2019 11:30AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent - Starting July 17th 2019 14 17 Aug 07, 2019 01:20AM

• Watching You
  • The Turn of the Key
  • An Anonymous Girl
  • The Last Time I Lied
  • Her Pretty Face
  • The Suspect (Kate Waters, #3)
  • Bring Me Back
  • The Death of Mrs. Westaway
  • The Perfect Girlfriend
  • Believe Me
  • The Wives
  • The Other Mrs.
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The Nanny
Liz Nugent worked as a stage manager in theatres in Ireland and toured internationally before writing extensively for radio and television drama.

Unravelling Oliver was published in 2014, hit the number 1 spot for several weeks and won Crime Novel of the Year at the Irish Book Awards.

Lying in Wait, published in 2016, went straight to number 1 and was chosen for the Richard & Judy Book Club. It wo

Articles featuring this book

The danger is always close to home in domestic suspense thrillers. Here, the narrators are unreliable, the terrors are psyc...
“How’r’ye, son. I’m Detective Sergeant Declan O’Toole, and that there’ –he nodded towards the back seat –‘is Detective James Mooney. Do you live in there?’ He pointed towards our house.” 1 likes
“Helen poured us some drinks. I remembered the carnations in my satchel, which I’d left at the front door. I had meant to present them to her on arrival. It seemed to me like the moment had passed. If we were now to drink gin, then The Kissing was imminent and the flowers were no longer necessary. I knocked back the gin and tonic she had poured for me. I winced at the sharp taste. I then realized why my parents sipped at their alcoholic drinks.” 0 likes