Start by marking “Mr. Monkey Bakes a Cake” as Want to Read:
Mr. Monkey Bakes a Cake

Mr. Monkey Bakes a Cake

(Mr. Monkey #1)

Curious George meets Mr. Bean in this adorable new picture book series from author-illustrator Jeff Mack that follows the loveable Mr. Monkey on his wacky adventures.

Mr. Monkey bakes a cake.

He can’t wait to win a ribbon!

But first he has to carry it to the contest.

What could possibly go wrong?
Published July 3rd 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Monkey Bakes a Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Monkey Bakes a Cake

Becky
First sentence: Mr. Monkey makes a cake. He adds sugar. He adds an egg. He adds bananas. That's okay. Monkeys like bananas. Mr. Monkey mixes the cake. Mr. Monkey bakes the cake. Mr. Monkey frosts the cake. Good job, Mr. Monkey! Now you can eat your cake!

Premise/plot: Jeff Mack has a new early reader series for young readers. The first two books are Mr. Monkey Bakes a Cake and Mr. Monkey Visits a School. In the first book, Mr. Monkey bakes a cake. But it isn't as simple as you might think: mix a
Elizabeth☮
Mr. Monkey wants to make a cake and is thwarted at every turn. This has fun pictures and action. I loved Mr. Monkey's perseverance.
Tasha
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
In the first book in the series, Mr. Monkey decides to bake a banana cake. Despite some inventive ways of using ingredients, his cake turns out beautifully. It’s nice enough that he’s inspired to enter it into a contest. But now he has to get his cake across town to the competition and that will not be easy. Using plenty of vaudeville-like falls, trips and hazards, the book is fast-paced and funny. Even when disaster seems certain, there is an opportunity suddenly to succeed.

These books are inve
Kifflie
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mr. Monkey bakes a cake (with plenty of bananas), and then he wants to enter it in the local cake show. He has all sorts of dangerous episodes on the way (including one with an angry Gorilla), and then it turns out he's too late to get a ribbon (sad face). Then he has to confront Gorilla again, but luckily Mr. Monkey has a spare banana available.

This is a really cute story. But I do have a slight problem with the character of Mr. Monkey. He doesn't look that much like a monkey, the way I see it
Jj
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sorry, but I have to deduct one star from the beginning: A "cake" is not made with sugar, eggs, and bananas. That is a banana-salmonella smoothie, or some sweet banana pancakes if you heat the mixture... but decidedly NOT a cake. I love the illustrations and the idea, but the story and plotline were very disappointing.

I hope the next installment (Book #2 bananas) is better. I will read it because I like the premise and character (Mr. Monkey) of the books. Also, bananas--it is hard to dislike ban
Tracie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Monkey bakes a cake and enters it in a contest, with many comical mishaps along the way. This funny adventure draws inspiration from the idiom "you can't have your cake and eat it too," wraps up with a nice lesson about sharing, and is just right for beginning readers.
Allison
"Curious George meets Mr. Bean" is a very apt description of this early reader book. Kids will have so much fun they won't realize they are learning to read!

I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Melanie
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 6 year old read this to me tonight and we laughed our way through. It makes my heart so happy that the same author whose Starry Safari was a bedtime staple when my son was a baby is now the author of a book my now first grader can read to me.
Debbie Tanner
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A funny story about a monkey who wants to make a banana cake. Except he eats so many bananas that he doesn't want the cake anymore. So he decides to submit the cake for a contest but he runs into a little trouble.
Ms.Gaye
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: humorous, reader
Slapstick humor for new readers. Ages 4-7
Clarissa
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a funny book for children who are just starting to learn to read.
Michele Knott
Yes! An early reading book that is funny, engaging and has a character kids will love!
Kathy Iwanicki
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I struggle to find easy readers for grade three that don’t feel like an easy read. This book hits it out of the park. My struggling readers will love it!
Gretchen Oates
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great early reader. Repetitive sentences that don’t end up being boring due to the action of the story.
Bethe
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute addition to a monkey storytime - love the first “or is it” page.
Stefanie
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nothing like some good slapstick. With bananas!
Mrs. Mazzola
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Early reader with great illustrations and silly slapstick humor.
DaNae
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
A baking contest with a very silly turn.
Annie
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
More entertaining than most of the beginning readers I see. My five-year-old thought it was pretty funny.
Lynn
Humor and reading level just right for beginning readers.
Brandy
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable story about Mr. Monkey. He wants to win a cake contest and runs into many obstacles on the way that threaten to ruin the cake.
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny beginning reader about a monkey baking a banana cake. Fun ending too.
Danielle
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
So fun to share with my K-2 students! Love the illustrations.
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-2
Silly fun sure to please loads of kiddos.
Kelly
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A pretty good beginning reader book.
Kimberly
Oh my! What an adventure this turned out to be.
Ann Haefele
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining easy read book , with a likable character and a lesson in empathy tied in.
Chris
Jan 03, 2018
Sarah F
Nov 11, 2018
Allison
Sep 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born in Syracuse, New York, Jeff Mack has written and illustrated a long list of picture books, chapter books, and early readers, including Clueless McGee, Good News Bad News, Frog and Fly, the Hippo and Rabbit series, and Hush Little Polar Bear.

He has also illustrated many books for other authors, including James Howe's Bunnicula and Friends series and Eve Bunting's Hurry! Hurry!, one of School L

Mr. Monkey (2 books)