Start by marking “The Bucket List” as Want to Read:
The Bucket List

The Bucket List

From the author of the critically acclaimed “lively and engrossing parable for women of all generations” (Harper’s Bazaar) The Regulars comes a deeply funny and thoughtful tale of a young woman who, after discovering she has the breast cancer gene, embarks on an unforgettable bucket list adventure.

Twenty-five-old Lacey Whitman is blindsided when she’s diagnosed with the BC
Published August 7th 2018 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 brave stars to The Bucket List! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Lacey Whitman is only twenty-five when she discovers she inherited the BRCA1 gene mutation, a gene strongly predictive of breast cancer. Like anyone who discovers she has the gene, there are two choices: increased medical monitoring beginning asap, or having a preventive double mastectomy. Lacey is adamant she does not want to choose the latter, but the former is not much more appealing. She has led a sheltered life prior to moving to New York and feels
Jessica
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free through an ARC giveaway on the author’s Instagram page.

Please note, that despite the cute cover, this book does contain a lot of sex talk and sex scenes.

Omg this book was amazing. It was serious, yet funny. Sexy but sweet.

This was a very unique read. I’ve never read anything like it before. It was like a chick lit book, but less superficial and more deep than they typically get.

The book deals with a very serious topic, being BRCA1 positive. The way the author ha
Georgia Clark
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Spoiler alert: I wrote this. Can't review my own book because weird, but can say I love this story dearly and hope you will to. Thanks for swinging by, and for keeping the love of literature alive!

ps. This book has sex scenes. If you don't like 'em, this ain't for you!
Heather
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great book! There is some serious subject matter as 25 year old, Lacey, was diagnosed with the breast cancer gene. She has a tough decision to make. Does she get a mastectomy or opt for constant screening and fear of what her future holds. Her journey to make this decision includes a boob bucket list compiled with the help of her closest friends.

It’s been a very long time since I was 25 years old but I could still relate to Lacey. I can’t imagine facing a diagnosis like she did at su
Amy
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I honestly don’t think the blurb for this one accurately conveys exactly what type of story this one really is, I feel like it doesn’t totally prepare you for both how emotional it is and also how sexy it is. Bit of a weird combo, right? No doubt about that and while it sounds strange it works in an odd way.

It took me awhile to warm to this one, initially I found it a bit hard to switch between some tender and touching moments where Lacey deals with her feelings about a possible double mastectom
Jennie Shaw
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second I finished The Bucket List, I hugged it. Like, literally. I clutched it to my chest and wailed. Luckily, I was home alone and therefore didn't terrify anybody. This book is my new everything. How could it be so funny and oh-girl-no-ing and sexy and honest, all at the same time?! Like, what sensation DIDN'T I experience while reading The Bucket List? (This is obviously rhetorical because I felt just about every emotion I'm capable of feeling.)

I mean, I should be peeved with Georgia Cla
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Yayy <3 <3

Simone
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

I actually knew someone who decided to go for the double mastectomy after being diagnosed with one of these gene mutations. She had already been married and had kids and decided that life is probably better without natural breasts than eventually getting cancer. After a few weeks of being away from her job, she was right back there working at full steam as if nothing had happened.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows this, but sometimes life gives you a set of challenges and your objective is to naviga
Lindsay Williams (Bibbidi Bobbidi Bookworm)
Have you ever read the summary of a book, expected one thing, and then gotten something very much different from what you thought it would be? That was basically my experience with reading The Bucket List by Georgia Clark.

But oh, what a wonderful thing that was!

I expected straight "chick lit." I expected a bit of drama, a few laughs, some romance, and although I knew the book was about the breast cancer gene, I still expected it to be fairly light reading.

The reality is that this book was absolu
Corinne Sullivan
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Expertly paced and beautifully told, THE BUCKET LIST delivers a perfect balance of poignancy and hilarity. Georgia Clark has the uncanny ability to create characters that already feel like friends and to explore dark decisions with just the right amount of empathy and verve. An absolute knock(ers) out!
Carola Lovering
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I simply LOVED the latest from the very talented Georgia Clark. She leads us through Lacey's world with compassion and humor - this book was funny, raw, emotionally gripping, and a page-turner that made me think. A beach read with a big heart.
Basic B's Guide
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
To be honest I was a bit scared to read this book. I have had so many opinions thrown at me over the past few years and I was petrified that I was going to encounter something that would just make me mad. However I felt as a survivor it was important for me to read it so I could share with my fellow #thrivers and #survivors .
I really appreciated the authenticity of the main characters fears and frustrations. As someone who has dealt with a breast cancer diagnosis I think the author did a fantas
Kate Moretti
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Georgia Clark is always smartly hilarious. I loved THE REGULARS and THE BUCKET LIST is an awesome follow up novel. A funny, poignant, sexy about a woman who discovers herself in the wake of an looming cancer diagnosis. A coming of age tale for the modern woman, add it to your late summer reading list!
Amanda
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was good at the start, by the middle I didn't care about any of the characters, and ended super strong. I loved the author's take on a relatively new situation many women find themselves in: What do I do if I find out I have a genetic mutation that drastically increases the chances that I will get breast cancer? I loved where Lacey ended up and I'll never turn down a romantic Harry Potter gesture.

Favorite Quote: "If this whole ordeal has forced me to admit anything to myself, it's tha
Kailey C
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

I really, really enjoyed this one. I found it to be pretty uplifting, even though it dealt with a very serious topic. There were definitely moments where I teared up or really felt for the brevity of the situation, but overall I very much enjoyed the tone of the novel.

This one was a little long, but I found it picked up in the 2nd half and I was eager to know how it'd all work out. I liked Lacey's journey - her friendships, her job(s), her lovers/sexual escapades, hook-ups, etc were all
Jessica
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This was a surprisingly good book. I only say surprising because I'm not huge on chick lit (as I assumed this was) and I was unsure if the topic would be interesting to me. It was! The main character was very compelling and I kept having to remind myself that she was 25 which excused many of her dumb decisions but also lends a specific outlook and perspective. I loved the subtle feminist/intersectional/progressive/LGBTQ viewpoints; they added to the overall fresh and modern feel of the book.
Real
Fiona Davis
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I sped through it and adored it. The scene involving a disastrous attempt at role-playing had me laughing out loud, yet by the last chapter I was in tears. Having had 6 friends get diagnosed with BC in the past 5 years, with treatments ranging from radiation to double mastectomy, this hit close to home. Funny, smart, edgy, and moving. What more could you ask for?
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
The idea of this book was good and Georgia's writing was spectacular. You can really tell she was destined to be a writer by how she conveys a character's feeling in one sentence. I really enjoyed her story because of it but it just felt like I was watching our main heroine setting herself on fire because her life was crumbling essentially. Understandable at first but tiresome and it left me not wanting to finish the book because it dragged.

I didn't finish this yet but I can tell you it'll be a
Beth Trabue
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book started off promising but then it became painfully obvious that the writer is a raging liberal and that should have turned me off at chapter ten when Lacey was wearing a T-shirt stating “I miss Barack” I should have quit then but since I was invested I kept trucking as per usual. There was the very disgusting mention of an abortion like it’s a dentist cleaning, a character who has two fathers who are socialist college professors like that is a non issue and should be normal. This same ...more
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the many different nuances of this book. Lacey has just discovered she has the same gene her mother had which ultimately took her life at a young age. Her mother died of breast cancer and Lacey now has a very high chance of this happening to her. Lacey is a twenty something, fun, bubbly character but she is taking her health issues very seriously. After deciding she will get a preemptive bilateral mastectomy she decides to make a bucket list of all the sexual situations she want ...more
Jaclyn Crupi
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
If you can write a sassy and funny and smart rom-com that grapples with breast cancer and mastectomies while being sexy as hell and pack it full of heart and sweet characters I will forgive your pacing problems and all that fashion talk and delight in your joyful creation.
Tracy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was lovely.
I can't imagine what it would be like to have to face a decision where you can either face a huge risk of contracting breast cancer or pre-emptively remove your breasts. I think the title doesn't do the story justice: it's much more than the bucket list, and the list itself is a concept more than a focus.
I loved the main character and admired her strength.
Yes, there were some cliché romance moments, but there were also You Go Girl f-you type moments regarding men. We are so be
Ursula
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I feel as if the book description does not prepare you for what the book is really about. For me, that was a good thing. I really enjoyed this one. It was fun, sexy and emotional.
The Blonde Bookworm
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was so excited when I heard Georgia Clark was writing a new book! The Regulars was such a fun a quirky read so I knew Clark was one to look out for. I recently finished The Bucket List and it was everything I had hoped for and more. The pacing was spot on, the amount of funny vs. serious scenes were evenly distributed, and the characters were hilarious. I think the synopsis gives a pretty good definition of what to expect from this novel, but I wasn't expecting to be so well versed on the topi ...more
Catherine
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Thank you Atria Books for the free review copy!)
I loved The Regulars--the summer it came out, I was working at the public library and just getting back into reading outside of college classes, and it was my favorite book of the summer. So when I heard about The Bucket List, I knew I had to read it. It covers a tough topic: the BRCA gene and the preventative surgeries that often come with it (like Angelina Jolie’s double mastectomy). But it does so in a way that manages to stay, for the most par
Heather Frimmer
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I saw "The Bucket List" on NetGalley, the bright, eye catching cover caught my eye (kudos to the cover designer and what a clever image to chose!) and when I read the synopsis I knew this was one for me. Centering on Lacey Whitman, a twenty five year old who has just learned that she is BRCA positive and is in the throes of figuring out what to do with that information, this book is right in the center of my wheelhouse. As a breast imager, I often speak with women dealing with similar chall ...more
Amber
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the publisher for sending me a free copy of the book.

It's official: this book wins the award for the best first line. Ever.

I'm having a bad nipple day.
See what I mean? Not only is it hilarious, it's completely intriguing. And a fantastic precursor to the rest of the book. All of that said, it's not all fun and games. Clark tackles a really intense, emotional topic, and I think she's done a great job of making it relatable and accessible to readers.
I think it's important to point out t
Kelsey (Kelseylovesbooks)
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
Absolutely loved The Bucket List. While this is a book about a young woman finding out she is BRCA1 positive, it’s also so much more than that. Lacey takes us on her journey as she makes the tough decision of whether or not to get a preventative mastectomy, as well as all the other challenges a 25 year old faces- job woes, maintaining friendship, and finding love
I love the way this book brought awareness to an important topic, while also being so enjoyable to read. I think most of us know som
M.
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so, so much fun. Seriously. It deals with a weighty topic (illness, mortality, the trade-offs life inevitably demands of us) head on while maintaining an engaging, funny tone that keeps the pages flying by. It's also packed with steamy sex, piles of tension (sexual and otherwise), and a hell of a lot of heart. While the tone is breezy, the stakes are never underplayed as Lacy grows wiser before our eyes, finding her own worth as well as who and what to value in life. Five shining s ...more
Todd Glaeser
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual type of book. The review in the L.A. Times piqued my interest.
Incredibly captivating, funny and emotional
  • Dying Breath (Detective Lucy Harwin, #2)
  • Otherwise Engaged: A Novel
  • Legacy: An Anthology
  • Seized (The Profiler #3)
  • The Chosen Ones (DI Robyn Carter, #5)
  • Everything That Follows
  • Charlotte Walsh Likes To Win
  • Eden
  • Walking the Bones (Ryan DeMarco Mystery #2)
  • A Bella Flora Christmas (Ten Beach Road, #5.5)
  • Playing with Matches
  • The Baby Plan
  • It's You
  • Her Final Hour (Detective Gina Harte, #2)
  • Flight Season
  • What Happened That Night
  • Wedding Belles
  • Nowhere Girl
I'm a Brooklyn-based novelist. I love improv, rosé Sundays, New York, beach days, sleeping in and fun snacks.

I wrote THE BUCKET LIST, THE REGULARS, PARCHED and SHE'S WITH THE BAND.

I'm originally from Australia, and have been living in New York for 9 wonderful years. Wanna know more? Use the Ask an Author thingy below!
“I take a swig of booze. "I didn't do it. The surgery." "I heard," he says. "Can I ask why not?" I shrug, not because I don't know but because I don't feel like rehashing his role in my decision. "You know when you're hanging out with people and you have to leave early? Everyone tells you to stay, but you have to co, so you do a round of goodbyes and hugs and everything. Then, you're at the door, and you glance back, and you want everyone to still be staring after you, waving. But they've all already gone back to their conversation. You're not missed at all." I gaze out at the ocean, the endless shifting expanse. "That's what makes me feel sad about dying. That after I'm gone and everyone has said goodbye, life just goes on without me." "You're worried about leaving a legacy?" Cooper asks. "What you'll be remembered for?" "More like, I'll just miss life. Life. I'll miss being a part of it. I'll miss weddings and the ocean and music and champagne. I'll miss the drama and the gossip and the news and New York. I'll just miss it.” 1 likes
“I take a swig of booze. "I didn't do it. The surgery." "I heard," he says. "Can I ask why not?" I shrug, not because I don't know but because I don't feel like rehashing his role in my decision. "You know when you're hanging out with people and you have to leave early? Everyone tells you to stay, but you have to go, so you do a round of goodbyes and hugs and everything. Then, you're at the door, and you glance back, and you want everyone to still be staring after you, waving. But they've all already gone back to their conversation. You're not missed at all." I gaze out at the ocean, the endless shifting expanse. "That's what makes me feel sad about dying. That after I'm gone and everyone has said goodbye, life just goes on without me." "You're worried about leaving a legacy?" Cooper asks. "What you'll be remembered for?" "More like, I'll just miss life. Life. I'll miss being a part of it. I'll miss weddings and the ocean and music and champagne. I'll miss the drama and the gossip and the news and New York. I'll just miss it.” 1 likes