Start by marking “Fight and Flight (Magic 2.0, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fight and Flight (Magic 2.0, #4)

Fight and Flight

(Magic 2.0 #4)

Martin and his friends discovered that their world is computer generated and that by altering the code, they could alter reality. They traveled back in time to Medieval England to live as wizards. Almost everything they've done since then has, in one way or another, blown up in their faces.
So of course they decide to make dragons. It does not go well.
As the wizards strug
Published November 9th 2017 by Rocket Hat Industries (first published May 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Fight and Flight, please sign up.
Maetthu From Scott Meyer's Facebook Page: "Fight and Flight, the 4th book in the Magic 2.0 series, will be out on audio book from Audible Original Publishing…moreFrom Scott Meyer's Facebook Page: "Fight and Flight, the 4th book in the Magic 2.0 series, will be out on audio book from Audible Original Publishing on May 9. (It will be an audio exclusive for 6 months.)" (less)

Alicia
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This one was bad, REALLY bad. The characters kept forgetting the rules of their reality and they all suffered from extreme immature stupidity. The women in this series get more and more annoying in every book. Every woman doesn't have to be a raging man hating and objectifying extremist and every man doesn't have to have the maturity and mental capacity of a second grader! This once great series is going downhill fast. This book is not worth your time or money.
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, brad-burned
Finally a release date. May 9th

I was at the theater Friday. A guy behind me says "book 4 comes out in 3 days". I turned around and said "off to be the wizard?" Boom, new friend. Lol

Thanks, Scott Meyer

9 likes for a book I haven't reviewed yet? You're all going to feel really stupid when I leave a review something like "This book was crap! I thought it was supposed to be Twilight fanfic!"

The review:
Here there be digitally simulated dragons!

I greatly enjoyed Fight or Flight. This one felt on par wi
Joe
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of this series, but this book was just plain bad. The plot was shockinhly awful; it read like exposition that went on for way too long, as if the author had literally no ideas left for these characters so he just had them wandering around for a while. The only thing saving this from a one-star review is that Meyer is a legitimately funny writer, and there were at least half a dozen laugh-out-loud funny bits of dialogue. Regrettably, they aren't nearly enough to justify reading this slo ...more
Rob
Executive Summary: I love Dragons. What fantasy fan doesn't? Yet somehow this book wasn't quite as good as some of the others. It's still pretty fun if you enjoy the series though. 3.5 Stars.

Audiobook: Another excellent job by Luke Daniels. He really brings these books to life. For some reason Audible has a 6 month exclusive on the book, but I would have gotten this in audio anyways. If you haven't tried the audio, and don't want to wait until November, this may be a good time to give the audio
Suzanne
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audio
This whole series is pretty whimsical. This time our group of wizards creates dragons, which doesn't work out too well. We get to see the team pair off to attempt to deal with dragons, which often doesn't too well. The regular people do a little better, and both groups are fun to read about.

As always, Luke Daniels does an excellent narration job.
Cindy Hallo
I should have stopped after the third book.
H James
May 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The bulk of Fight and Flight has our beloved cast scattered in pairs: Philip & Martin, Gwen & Britt, Jeff & Roy, and Tyler & Gary—duos whose dynamics are already thoroughly established. Mr Meyer was successful in generating dramatic tension and comedy in An Unwelcome Quest by forging unlikely combinations of characters, so it's unsurprising that the too-familiar pairings he has selected here leave us with a forgettable, color-by-numbers addition to the saga. It's only in the fina ...more
Jennopenny
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, sci-fi
It had some fun parts but it's not as funny nor as nerdy as the other books. And what's Jimmy up to? Book three did hint on that he was up to something and yet we get nothing in this one. Brit the younger is growing on me by the way.
And always and forever the narration of Luke Daniels for the audio books is amazing. His voices for the different characters are gold for my ears.
Shauna
Light and fun, just like the others from the series... I'll keep reading as long as he keeps writing!
Jane
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely my least favourite in the series. I felt like I was reading someone's attempt to expand what should have been a short story into something longer. It really seemed like a bunch of busy subplots mashed together to create a weak main plot. I really disliked the new character "Honor", and there's nothing worse than not liking a kid. It might have been better if she was an old lady, but even then I'm not sure that would have been enough to make me like her.

Although I really like Luke Dan
Roy
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I might be done with this author.

I was happy to see him return to this series after a couple oddball stand alone novels. But this is certainly the weakest of the series. So little happens. It's slow, not very interesting, and only sporadically fun. There's two superb jokes, but that's not going to save the day.
Mat Webb
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Felt like more of a short story than anything, but I love this world, this author and this narrator! Looking forward to more! (P.s. Love the setup at the end!!)
Scott Wachal
Meh? it's ridiculous. I mean. it's meant to be. but I'm just not into how stupid the characters actually are anymore. Gary is unbearable. The jokes about future Brit and younger Brit are ironically getting old. ;) it's not that the book is terrible. it just lacks some direction or over arching story for me to care about. literally nothing REALLY matters when you have the powers that these wizards have, so I don't ever feel a sense of anticipation when reading. which is in itself Ironic, because ...more
Ron Versetto
I had read abysmal reviews of this book prior to picking it up and was even told to avoid the book completely. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the series, characters and stories up until this point, so how bad could it really be?

The answer is really bad, like tediously awful, being stuck with Alex Jones at a dinner party bad in that you may be better off skipping it all together. Everything in this story was pointless, mundane, redundant and foolish. I'd give the story one star if I wasn't such a
Melissa
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series has to be the best goofiest guilty pleasure audiobook. A bunch of nerdy geeks find the computer code that controls all factors of life as we know it & use this power to go back to the Middle Ages and be 'wizards' to the local populace. Such fun, their nerd fights always leave me laughing, even though in this installment the problems are entirely of their own making!
Tabea Vanessa
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was hilarious and amazing and I love everyone except Brit the Elder.
„Only“ 4 stars because the beginning was a little slow and chaotic.
Daniel
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fantasy, humor
It was annoying to have to wait six months for the Audible exclusive version of this book to expire before I could get my hands on the print copy. I'm sure the author had a financial incentive to allow the exclusivity period but I'd much rather read a novel than listen to it. Reading some of the early (primarily audiobook) reviews did not give me great faith in this title, but it turned out to be pretty darned good. I mean, it's more of the same in this series. If you enjoyed the bumbling antics ...more
Cameron Feaster
Erick
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've really enjoyed the flippant, lighthearted nature of this book series...at least until now. This book fails to really advance any of the main characters, has a rather uninteresting main plot line, and has several new truly lame characters. I refer primarily to Honor, who comes off as an annoyingly dense little prat who is so sure of her view of things that it's infuriating. Sure she's a kid, but it feels like this is an excuse used to force you to like her or excuse her actions. All the whil ...more
Alex
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It felt more like an overly long short story setting up the next book rather than something to stand on its own. The plot is simplistic and as with the last book long sections showing the same events from a different point of view only they feel like padding out a short book rather than making a joke.
That's kind of the problem all over really, the scene goes too long to be funny anymore but it just goes on and on.
Bits of it are funny but there's so little story and what little there is might as
Lauri
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first two books of this series, and decided to give this one a go even though I was not a fan of the third. The main conflict seems like something that at it's start felt like something that would just be a catalyst into the real conflict rather than something to center a whole book around. The main characters feel flat, they're less fleshed out with each book. Additional characters are irritating.
terpkristin
I don't know, it felt like this one went on about an hour too long. On the one hand, it was refreshing to see the characters truly fallible, but at some point it became more like a comedy of errors (and not as well as the bard wrote it). But it was enjoyable enough and was a necessary light read (as in, necessary because it was a good distraction).
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a gargantuan letdown this book has been. The first book was clever, witty and incredibly funny. The second and third were somewhat less of those things but still had plot enough to drive it somewhere entertaining.

This book however feels like the opening chapter to what should be a good book but never quite gets to the point. We are meant to believe that people smart enough to manipulate computer text to become what are essentially Gods are this incompetent? This annoying? This flipping dim
Ben
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, audible, humour, sci-fi
Good overall, though definitely not as much fun as the first in the series. I didn't laugh out loud nearly as much, but it held up in terms of the series feel and continuity.

In this book we're well into the "wizards'" life in medieval England, so you'd think they'd have things down by now. Unfortunately, for them not for us, they don't. The dragons were a horrible idea, the way they tried to deal with it was a horrible idea, their relations with the locals have been horrible... you get the idea.
Mark
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This entry in the series is a bit transitional, but quite an enjoyable read.

As far as the story itself goes, this is a silly adventure where our wizard friends severely fuck things up and spend the rest of the book making bigger mistakes trying to fix it. We get a lot of closer looks at the wizards, especially paired off, which is where Scott's dialogue really shines.

I felt like the 3rd book, An Unexpected Quest, was a bit weak as it rehashed some less original ideas and was purely adventure bas
Corey Campbell
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About halfway through this book, I decided it would be my last in the series. What had begun as a creative story about some folks pretending to be wizards, had kind of lost its direction, and I was unsure about the specific direction the book was taking.

Well, I'm glad I stuck with it and finished. It was an excellent and somewhat introspective chapter in Magic 2.0, one that I wasn't expecting. When everything came together, it ended up that I just was reading too shortsighted, and this was an ex
Becky
The wizards invent dragons because... why not? Then they have a public relations nightmare to contend with.

The story is lighter in tone in many ways and smaller in scope than earlier books in the series. The humor, however, is strong and I enjoyed the first half as much as any of the other books. The second half dragged a bit and the resolution came a little too easily, but I enjoyed myself and can't wait to see what happens next.

(view spoiler)
Hakan Jackson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the most interesting plot in the world, this addition to the Magic 2.0 series is still a fun read. I did have a problem remembering the characters and the book doesn't make it easy to remember who is who which is one of the things I love about the Wheel of Time series. There was a couple of times I wish I refreshed myself by rereading the last book before reading this one. Regardless of that, I enjoyed this book and I look forward to the next book in the series.
Kaylee
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I was extremely disappointed in this one. The plot seemed thin and the new characters I did not like, namely Honor. I don't like children to begin with so was a bit biased but she annoyed me to no end. It definitely has it's amusing parts though which is why it still gets 2 stars.

Hoping the next is better!
Tal M. Klein
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent addition to the Magic 2.0 franchise. Unusually the audiobook is out before the actual book, so it took me a while to get through this because my kids take over all auditory outputs. I have zero complaints! So glad Meyer is still so very much on top of his game. One of my favorite authors!
  • Critical Failures II: Fail Harder
  • Going Rogue (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #3)
  • Differently Morphous
  • Overdraft: The Orion Offensive
  • The Empire Strikes Back: The National Public Radio Dramatization
  • Spirit of the Stone (Shadowleague, #2)
  • Hell to Pay (An Ascend Online Adventure)
  • The Science of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #4)
  • Ardneh's Sword (Empire of the East, #4)
  • Rip-Off!
  • Welcome to Monsterland (How To Avoid Death On A Daily Basis #4)
Scott Meyer has been a radio DJ, a stand-up comic, a writer for video games, an office manager, and a pretend ghost bellhop.

He is the creator of the comic strip Basic Instructions, and has now written a novel.

He and his wife live in Florida, to be close to their cats.

Magic 2.0 (5 books)
  • Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • An Unwelcome Quest (Magic 2.0, #3)
  • Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5)
“That’s what makes reality reality, the fact that it just keeps being true no matter how much you argue with it.” 1 likes
“You need an education, practical experience, and certifications to practice medicine. To be president, all you need is the confidence of most of the people who bothered to vote.” 0 likes