Start by marking “The Unpredictability of Being Human” as Want to Read:
The Unpredictability of Being Human

The Unpredictability of Being Human

Meet Malin, a fifteen-year-old who sees the world differently. Malin knows she couldn’t change much about her life, even if she got to play God. Her dad would still yell all the time – especially as Malin is still friends with Hanna, the girl she met shoplifting. Her mum would still say a glass of wine is good for her heart – and Mum needs it, with Malin’s brother, Sigve, ...more
Published December 28th 2017 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Unpredictability of Being Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unpredictability of Being Human

C.G. Drews
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was honestly such a sweet book and I felt a lot while reading it. Which is freaking amazing because I have the emotional range of a toaster. It's also a very quiet book, with not a lot of plot, but you just really get to know and love Malin...which I adored. (Despite the fact, I usually wish books had a firmer plot?)

Also Malin is undiagnosed autistic. I've discussed this with my friend who talked to the publicist/editor of the book, so it IS a thing. It's just never never mentioned in the b
Dannii Elle
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
My initial rating for this book was 3.5 stars but I have since decided to boost it 4, as days after finishing this I keep thinking about these characters.

Nanowrimo had been slowing my reading pace down and, as such, I had been craving a book I could tear through with ease, but that still maintained the emotional depth I like all my reading to contain. This book delivered everything I was looking for, in that respect, and it was so refreshing to devour chapters at a time, in between my writing, w
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Disclaimer: A Huge Thanks to UsBorne YA for providing me with a review copy. My thought, opinions and feelings expressed in this review are, however are my own!

This book takes a bit getting used to – the voice of the main Character – Malin is a bit abrupt, short and to the point; making her a refreshing character in the contemporary Young Adult genre.

This was also a book that I took my time reading – first to get used to the style of writing and the, to enjoy entirely individual perspective
Rimsha Jairajpuri
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-releases
3.75 ⭐ it was emotional and adorable both at the same time.
Ruzaika
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another version of this review can be found @ The Regal Critiques.

Received in exchange for an honest review from Usborne Publishing UK.

I wasn't asking for much when I picked this book up- I was in a reading slump and wanted both an easy read and something that would hit me in the feels, and this book was just that...AND it brought me out of that slump, so it's a double yay!

5/5 for the writing

The writing is definitely the best part of the book (as it should be, in my opinion). There's something a
Ellesha
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, reviewed-books
I’m not sure have much to say about this book. It was easy to read but the book as whole just didn’t really seem to have a point. It was quite sweet in a way, and is a cute book about a girl in her life, but the story just didn’t do it for me.

When I first read the title and the blurb of this book, it intrigued me and I thought it’d be an interesting read. However, I have to say that I was disappointed.

The book just seems to go from chapter to chapter with small events but no actual main story
Immie Xx
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book it was set in a different scene to what kind of book I would usually read but I would really recommend it to young adults as an enjoyable book 😀
Emma
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it! Very sweet and strangely comforting.
Jen Thomas
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ZOEY
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-na, arcpublisher
detailed review on blog: https://zoeymusesaboutbooks.wordpress...
Abantika(hiltonjenkin)
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Follow hjbookblog for more updates.

The novel, ‘The Unpredictability of Being Human’ by Linni Ingemundsen is a contemporary, young-adult fiction. The story revolves around the little girl Malin. She is 14 years old and lives in a village named Hassund in Norway with just about 5,346 other people.

Malin is an adorable but naive girl. I loved her p.o.v. Her inner dialogues were original, relatable and funny. Malin trying to get a better understanding of the world and her innocent outlook guaranteed

Michelle
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow.
This book was actually touching, and I don't get emotional that often.
Malin is a socially awkward, teenaged girl from Norway who is watching her family gradually disconnect. She meets a rebellious friend, Hanna and is trying to fit in with those around her, being a normal teen.
Malin is complicated, she is another character who reminds me of Eleanor in Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.
In the beginning, I was impatient and willing Malin to grow and toughen up...
As the story progressed,
Joanne
3.5 Stars.

Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

The Unpredictability of Being Human by Linni Ingemundsen is a book I've wanted to read ever since I heard it was about a girl with undiagnosed Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). And while it was a captivating read and enjoyable read, I've finished it with mixed feelings.

The Unpredictability of Being Human is very much a coming of age story. It follows Malin during a specific period in her life when things change. There's not so much of a plot to t
Xaviera
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Didn’t expect to like it so much..
n
This book, while not terrible, was excruciatingly dull. The writing wasn't interesting, the story wasn't told in an interesting way, and it was just... too long? It's something that, honestly, feels like it should be a short story or a novella; it didn't merit being very long because it was the same thing over and over and over again, and you never really got a feel for the characters other than the same few characteristics.

I don't mind reading stories that are about everyday life or events that
Meggan Turner
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked the writing style of this, and Malin was SUCH an interesting and well written character.

FULL REVIEW UP SOON!
Kerry-Marie
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought-2018, read-ya
I loved this book. It was beautifully written and just showed the reality of life. I like that the main character was probably autistic as well even though it wasn’t specifically mentioned. My only flaw was it seemed to skip big chunks of time that maybe could have been developed over a few chapters since the book wasn’t that long anyway.
Helly
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Unpredictability of Being Human by Linnie Ingmundsen was a heart warming read. Malin is a fourteen year old naive little lady, a round peg in a square hole, trying to fit in. Well, aren't we all? The plot was so relatable that it clicked with me at the very first chapter and I wonder how novels achieve such universal intelligibility?

The world changes to an adolescent's eye, as she is rendered capable of comprehending the darkness surrounding us. The innocence is slowly lost and thus our outl
Imogen Lord
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a girl who wants to read books that are too old for me. when my nana bought me this one for my birthday, I read it as soon as possible. it starts of with its one little story in the first chapter with a girl named Milan who is a teen ager with a friend two years older than her. milan goes to school defeats school bullies becomes 'FREINDS' with another boy and loses her one and only friend. whilst this is going on at school at home, Milan's family is falling apart. her brother continues to l ...more
Simran (poetry.and.tea)
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story is about Malin Sande, a girl who is 14 years old, lives in Haasund a village on the south western coast of Norway with her parents, an elder brother Sigve and a cat Oscar who disappears and comes back whenever he is hungry, like all cats do.

It’s a wry, dark and bittersweet look at life with a brutally honest and a bit too naïve protagonist who is so straightforward that she will make you laugh at the stupidity and problems she causes on her own. The book is quite true to reveal the st
Becca  ☾☁︎⋆ (PrettyLittleMemoirs.com)
First reviewed on Pretty Little Memoirs.

Malin, straight away, is quite an unusual main character. Her point of view and inner monologue on the world is striking, bordering on painfully honest. She sounds much older than her age, fifteen, throughout her POV. Malin's family are a huge part of her troubles and bigger picture on life. There's the situation surrounding her Mom's drinking, her Father's temper and brother's troublesome behaviour. These things make Malin overwhelmed by these trusting, i
Bookish Hound
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-challenge
Thought-provoking. Relatable. Enticing. This book starts on an extreme high by asking deep questions, luring in the reader. However it then experiences an extreme low as it drops momentum.

I found that I often lost track of what was going on with this book and found myself often having to re-read pages. I also found that the momentum drops after the first chapter to about half way through the book, which is a shame considering the strong first chapter and the epilogue.

Despite this I thought tha
Timothy Burbage
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
This book is a typical contemporary YA with little to no plot and it is all about the voice.

There are some things that are interesting here; how the story is set in a small Norwegian town, and how the main character Malin is obsessed about time. But there isn't enough plot to carry the story forward.

I don't mind books without a real plot, as long as the characters are deep and enjoyable to interact with. The problem here was the main character, and how much of an idiot she was.

Malin is meant to
eva (:
May 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Mary Esther
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book; a poignant view into a specific time in Malins' life when life comes crashing into her world. A coming-of-age vignette, there is no real plot, so to speak. But that actually enhances the feel of the story. Malin is a brilliant character, clever, bold and quite naive. She also has Autism Spectrum Disorder. It is Malins' perception of everything going on around her that tells the story and creates a fascinating view into human nature; the things we protect, the things we ...more
Samantha
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, read-2017
From the synopsis I thought this book would be really funny, but also tackle some difficult topics. However, I found that it was not funny at all and it didn't really go into detail when tackling the difficult subjects.

I found Malin to be really annoying. She seemed much younger than 14 and did some really stupid things. I thought that she didn't stand up for herself at all and she was super naive. I thought she did some really weird things as well.

I thought the plot was really slow moving and n
Issah Camille Garcia
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
"If I got to be God for one day I would make sure that everyone gets a second chance. Because everyone screws up sometimes. One way or another."
-Linni Ingemundsen, The Unpredictability of Being Human

The Unpredictability of Being Human is a unique coming-of-age novel about fourteen-year old Malin and her experiences in life as a teenager. What I liked most about the story is how it portrays the issues and struggles that some teenagers go through which are usually glamorized and romanticized on mo
Louise
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-from-home
I have not been reading to much lately but this book got me going again! It was one of those books you did not know what to expect from but I loved it. You really don't know what is going to happen next and some of the things that come out from the past; gosh, who would have thought of that! I love how the author cleverly embeds things like her Mum being on the wine yet Malin doesn't realise. It shows the proper family life of the up and down struggles. Great book, would definitely recommend it.
Kalilah
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It's amazing how charming and interesting socially awkward people seem in literature. I can assure you it is not nearly as charming and interesting being socially awkward in real life. I wish it was. But it isn't.
Nothing really happens in this story but I liked the narrative style -- it is very readable, I always wanted to know what Malin had to say next -- so I think it deserves 3-4 stars. Good read!
Ella
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 I'm very confused by this book. It dealt with real life issues which need to be talked about from a 14 year olds perspective however reading felt like it was a younger child talking about the problems and being completely clueless as to what's going on. There were too many issues going on at the same time which I suppose does reflect real life but at the same time it doesn't explain anything fully.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pith: Extremely Short Stories
  • My Side of the Diamond
  • Outwalkers
  • Engineer in Heels
  • Some of My Favorite Sherlockian Things: A Compendium of Pawky and Outre Monographs, Toasts and Whatnots
  • The Other Side of the River: Stories of Women, Water and the World
  • The Last Cheetah of Egypt: A Narrative History of Egyptian Royalty from 1805 to 1953
  • Deciduous Tales
  • Lost on Mars
  • A Girl Called Shameless (Izzy O'Neill, #2)
  • Paper Avalanche
  • Snodgrass Vacation
  • Tiny Titans, Volume 5: Field Trippin'