Start by marking “The Real Story of Catholic History: Answering Twenty Centuries of Anti-Catholic Myths” as Want to Read:

Anti-Catholics like to paint Church teachings in a way that makes them seem vain, backward, or superstitious, all in the hope of drawing people out of the Faith and into sects or unbelief. Catholic apologists fight back with facts and sound arguments.

But there’s another area where the Church’s enemies tell their own false story of Catholicism: its history.

Whether it’s
Published October 5th 2017 by Catholic Answers Press

To ask other readers questions about The Real Story of Catholic History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Story of Catholic History

Start your review of The Real Story of Catholic History: Answering Twenty Centuries of Anti-Catholic Myths
Steven R. McEvoy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
This book was an interesting read. As someone with a Religious Studies degree and a specialization in Roman Catholic Thought there was much in this book that was familiar to me. But Steve ties it together in a single volume. This book is really a must read for any Catholic. For as followers of Christ we need to be able to give an answer.Part of the description of this book clains:

"Whether it's from the media, in classrooms, or out of the mouths of pastors and politicians, we've all heard a versi
Noah Sell
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Wiedenkopf!
Jeff Miller
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good compendium of responses to so many anti-Catholic myths throughout history. Succinct, but full of useful knowledge. It also contains numerous footnotes.
Eduardo Garcia-Gaspar
Una lista de 55 ataques en contra del catolicismo y las correspondientes respuestas con datos históricos. Una colección de utilidad para el católico que enfrenta esos ataques y críticas. Desde la afirmación de que Jesús es una figura mítica hasta el milagro del sol detenido en Fátima, pasando por la supresión de libros, las cruzadas, las torturas de la Inquisición y otras muchas. Una buena introducción a cada tema, con datos históricos y de breve exposición, lo que servirá al católico para dar u ...more
Carl Hardy
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An in-depth look at the Real History of the Catholic Church

This look at the real history of the Catholic Church uses well documented historically accurate data to debunk many myths concerning the church Jesus started with Peter as his Rock. The synopsis at the end of each chapter ties the narrative and facts together. A must read for Catholic's allowing them to answer many of the questions brought against the Catholic Church by Protestants.
Terry
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this as I am Catholic and thought it would be interesting. The book sets out to disprove the “myths” surrounding the Catholic Church down the ages. I found it interesting but if I were a sceptic with little or no religious faith I would have found this book fails to convince. In my opinion it doesn’t delve deep enough into the subject. A good “coffee table book” you can dip in and out of now and then without getting bogged down but sadly lacking in detail for me
Jeremy Bonnette
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book of historical information in regards to Catholicism. The author does a good job of keeping each entry long enough to address the myth, but not too long as to become tedious to read. I checked this out from the library, but this is one that I wouldn't mind having on my own shelf to look at every now and then. It would be a good reference book.

4.3 out of 5 stars
Lannie Milillo
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Very easy to read and understand.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is clear and concise and well documented which is so important when reading apologetics I am going to take the Epics church history course this Fall. This book will be a graet companion to the study.
I was delighted to learn Mr. Weidenkopf is the author of the videos!
RamonIV
Good but unapologetically biased (pun intended)

This is more of an apologetic work than a history, that was disappointing for me, as I bought this book with the expectation of reading dry history presenting hard facts, but instead it is a counternarative divided into apologetic topics.
Dennis J. Waszak
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent source for Catholic apologetics.

This book was an easy read and excellent source for the beginner on Catholic apologetics. I would recommend this to anyone interested in learning about the historical basis on questions on Catholicism and the Church.
Jeanne
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clear and concise

Brief, clear answers of what really happened. Sources are in footnotes at the end of each chapter. I would have also liked a bibliography with summaries at the end. I also would like an index.
George M. Greene
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good concise defense of the faith

I have taken Prof. Weidenkopf’s video lecture series and this book fills in additional details. Well written and very well sourced.
Kevin
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for refuting all of the lies that we Catholics deal with on a weekly or sometimes daily basis.
nvilla
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
History fans will not be disappointed!

Read provides excellent companion to author's lectures at the Institute of Catholic Culture. History fans will not be disappointed one bit.
Michael Cates
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good Book

This was extremely well formatted, in bite-sized snippets of information, that gave you enough data to refute the erroneous claims presented against the Church.
Richard Caudill II
Jun 10, 2019
Barbara Bluhm
Dec 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Can a Catholic Be a Socialist?
  • The Anti-Mary Exposed: Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity
  • Why We're Catholic: Our Reasons for Faith, Hope, and Love
  • What the Saints Never Said
  • Transfigured: Patricia Sandoval's Escape from Drugs, Homelessness, and the Back Doors of Planned Parenthood
  • Particles of Faith: A Catholic Guide to Navigating Science
  • The Diversity Delusion: How Race and Gender Pandering Corrupt the University and Undermine Our Culture
  • George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution
  • Albanian Escape: The True Story of U.S. Army Nurses Behind Enemy Lines
  • Horse Soldiers: The Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan
  • Andorra Revealed
  • Number: The Language of Science
  • Columbus and the Quest for Jerusalem
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
  • Rose Hill Mystery Series Three-Book Collection: Books 1-3
  • Firefly Beach
  • Safe Harbor
  • You Don't Own Me (Under Suspicion, #6)
Steve Weidenkopf is a Lecturer in Church History at the Christendom College Graduate School of Theology in Alexandria, Virginia. He has given numerous presentations and seminars on Church History, marriage and family life, human sexuality, and theology throughout the U.S. and Canada.

He served as the Director of the Office of Marriage & Family Life for the