Start by marking “River of Bones” as Want to Read:
River of Bones

River of Bones

When seventeen-year-old Dharma Moore moves to Bayou country so her scam artist mother can work as a Paranormal Investigator, she discovers that more than ghosts haunt the abandoned plantation they now call home. Centuries ago, a voodoo curse was placed on the swamp waters surrounding the old plantation by a murdered slave. This terrible curse ensnares Dharma with its deadl ...more
Published October 5th 2017 by Spinning Broom Books Publishing (first published October 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about River of Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River of Bones

Aly
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was an audio book and I liked the narrator and the characters and the story line. Everybody being sick and possessed was kind of scary because you didn't know if Dharma Moore was going to live of die. Being hexed is no fun! Curses, ghosts and a baby brother this book has it all. I loved it!
Laura Greenwood
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of River of Bones in exchange for my review.

Dharma has moved into a creepy old mansion with her mother, a ghost hunter. Used to staging stories of hauntings, Dharma isn't prepared to face the spooky happenings of the house and the near by swamp. On arriving, her little brother runs off and she follows, diving into the swamp thinking he has fallen in. Once in the house, the handsome boy that works in the gardens, Wolf
Veronica Morfi
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5/5

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

River of Bones is the first book by Angela J. Townsend I've read but it won't be the last. That woman has a unique way to describe a story's setting. From the swamp to the little details of the house, she set the perfect creepy mood for the story.

In River of Bones, Dharma, her mother and her baby brother move to a new 'haunted' house as part of Dharma's mother job of performing fake exorcisms. Dharma thinks it'll be j
Sam
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was overdue for a good, creepy read and Angela Townsend’s River of Bones fit the bill perfectly. I found myself caught up in the characters and their well-being; (view spoiler). It seemed there was some dilemma around every corner. My favorite parts of the story ...more
Mary Gray
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a perfect October read! I loved the atmosphere and voice. After visiting New Orleans and going on a swamp tour, I can tell Townsend did her research. This reminded me of Crimson Peak but more innocent. This is exactly the type of story that I've been craving for my spooky-hungry palette. I was curled up sick from a cold today, and this was the perfect nostrum.
Ginny  Gallagher
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on Gin's Book Notes
4.5 Stars

River of Bones Book Trailer

My Review
Five words : Spooky Creepy Gothic Page Turner

Favorite Character :  Sassy Smit - The story opens with a prologue featuring a seven year old Sassy in the summer of 1937. The summer she found Leroy Jebber dead. Chapter one takes us to Terrebone Parish, Louisiana, 2013 where Ms. Sassy believes her ancient ears are playin' tricks on her as she hears a scream come from across the swamp. Sassy is a gre
Debbie  Victorino
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable must read.

Wow just wow. I have not read books by this author before, I was not sure what to expect. I still am not sure what to say but this author blew me away. This book was amazing. I could not stop reading it. I kept looking around worried I would see some black slimy thing coming from under my door. Yes it scared me, but it was so worth it. Dharma her mom who is a little off lol and her baby brother go to a plantation to supposibly get rid of the ghost who haunt it. Well right
Jasmine Smith-clark
Wow

You know the creepy, spine-tingling feeling you get watching an incredibly realistic horror movie. The way you sit on the edge of your seat and jump at every little sound. This book was better than that! It was beyond terrifying and horrific in a way that rattled me to the core. This is a definite must-read!!
K.L. Lantz
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spooky, and a total page-turner, River of Bones kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end. The juxtaposition of horror with almost lyrical prose in the descriptions of the old house makes this a unique and powerful read.
D Nine
Not as chilling as expected. Didn't feel the connection between Dharma and Wolf. Dharma said the feelings instead of the author painting them with words.
I can list many middle graders who will want to read this when I book talk it though! They care little about romance.... for now.
Rebecca Gober
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scary good! Wowza. I haven't read something that had me thoroughly creeped out yet too intrigued to put the book in my freezer. (Like on Friends!) What I really liked about this book is that it had a romantic element to it. Loved it! <3
Penny
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was suspenseful and haunting that kept me engaged from page one!
Nisareen
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
PelicanFreak
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A SERIES OF CONVENIENT EVENTS - with some actual effort, and continuity, this could be great.

This book was okay, just okay and full of clichés for a while. It was okay enough that I was curious enough to hang in there, so that isn’t a bad thing...it just wasn’t spectacular and didn’t seem original. It did manage to be mysterious, just a little bit, if that makes sense, that I hung on.

Around 50% or so, it finally got more interesting. At this point I was annoyed with how full of been-done-to-deat
Boo Vickery
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! Everything by this author just makes me go "wow"

Totally creepy! It kept making me wonder about the secret of the haunting! This is a book that I just kept flipping the pages too! I didn't want to put this book down until it was finished!
Ms. Townsend is amazing! She writes beautifully. Everyone of her books are sweet and creepy! I can't wait to read all of this authors stories!

If you're into Horror anything by this author is a must read!
Josette Thomas
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do you do when you are part of a cursed family? That's what Dharma has to figure out in this creepy, chilling book. The imagery was wonderful and it was easy to be transported to the place in the woods. The pond was someplace I would like to avoid and maybe there will be a book with Dharma going against Sabine again.
Kelly
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never like to give away spoilers because I love to find out firsthand what is happening and when. I cannot wait to see the movie of this book just to see if they will do it justice. Thank you so much Angela Townsend! I absolutely loved this book and I can't wait to read another book by you as well. I have found a new author and I suggest this book for everyone you won't be sorry.
Dawn
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t stop

This book was awesome. I love a great mystery and this had me sunk in. I felt there with dharma and wolf. The struggles she felt are ones many of us have done through. This book made you go through them with her, and feel the joy of her reality. This has everything and more in a book you want to read.
Janet Steen strohecker
A bit predictable - Unbelievable with the "here's how you fix this" "that didn't work? try this." "That didn't work either? Try this." And drive there - don't use the phone. SMH

Jocelyn Sanchez
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rarely does a book ever scare me but this one... *shivers* this one did. It’s so good. I felt like I was personally going through the events that the main character, Dharma, went through. If I was ever in her position, I would have left that house way before she did. Heck, I probably would have never have gone back to the house again! But that's what's so good about this book. The reader gets to go on a wonderful, yet, haunting adventure with the characters.

This story starts with us getting int
Faith Johnson
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so intriguing and had me captured from the minute Dharma stepped out of the vehicle. It was such a creepy story, made even creepier because at the time that I read the story we had a pool in our backyard at the time. The swamp scenes were super frightening.

Every description was so clear I could SEE the world Angela painted for us!
Brittany
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I was given a copy by the author in exchange for an honest review*

The book follows Dharma as she moves to yet another place for her mums 'work'. This place isn't like the others though. It is surrounded by myths, curses and ghost stories that you only hear whispered around camp fires. It doesn't take long for the characters to get stuck, head first into the stories, which are all seemingly true :)What risks will they need to take to get out of the mess they have landed in though?

I don't usually
Laurie
I found this to be a very enjoyable read. It vibrated with a spooky southern gothic sense of trepidation all the way through the book, and was frightening in the way in which Dharma and her family were caught up in an old curse that threatened to overcome them all. Ms. Sassy has good reason to fear the old swamp and stay far away from those the curse has claimed, but in spite of her age and frailty she steps up to the grim task she feels she cannot ignore – unable to stand aside this time as the ...more
Kelly Risser
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angela weaves a haunting story. The pacing was excellent, the amount of suspense perfect. I love how Dharma's story is interchanged with Sassy's, each distinct in narration. As the story unfolds, clues from the past are revealed. I found myself drawn deeper and deeper into this world of swamps, mansions, and disintegrating cabins where all is not as it seems. The imagery is beautiful and scary all at once. Old pictures, piles of bones, spiderwebs and spirits better left undisturbed. Be prepared ...more
Misty Iputi
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
River of Bones is a curse with a mystery mixed in. This book could be called intense in some parts to some. I would say I am glad I do not live in the swamp that has a lazy stream like river on a old plantation property.

On a serious note this book was good with a good story line and areas that I got the spooks.

I am giving this book a 5/5 rating. Also it is one I am going to be rereading!

given a free copy for a review by CTP
Cindy Smith
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was drawn into this story quickly! I loved the way the author weaved her tale of a haunted house and a voodoo curse. The descriptions of the area involved reminded me of when I drove through Louisiana, spooky in itself! The characters were easy to relate to and the situation was almost believable.
Great story!
Mary Quire
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to hand it to Angela Townsend. She did a wonderful job making this story come alive. Not many authors can make a mix of first and third point of view work, but she's managed to make it flow beautifully. The characters are incredibly believable and I immediately liked Dharma. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. River of Bones is definitely a page turner. Kudos to Townsend!
Melanie
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book! Very creepy and original and and must read for "ghost story" fans. The writing sucks you in and demands that you keep reading to find out if there is ever going to be a way to escape the supernatural problems going on. Brilliant!!! V""V
Michele Skinner
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a gift. What a crazy story, if you are into ghost stories all voodoo stuff(wasn't called that in the book) you will love this book! It's different from what I usually read but I really enjoyed it!
Juliana fern
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hope there is a book two really want to know what happens next and when I read what the book was about it said read the book before you see the movie. hope the movie comes out soon. the book is a keeper in my library

• Spell Fire
  • The Newstead Project
  • Instinct
  • Matt Archer: Blade's Edge (Matt Archer #2)
  • Vision of Shadows (Vision, #1)
  • Night Journey
  • Famous Last Words
  • Trolling for Trouble (MAUCs, #1)
  • Beloved Evangeline
  • Upload
  • Paranormal Pleasures: Ten Tales of Supernatural Seduction
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
  • Stealing Breath (Stealing Breath, #1)
  • Mirror of Shadows
  • Hunger
  • Dark Passing
  • Shifter School: A Wyrdos Universe Novel
  • A New Threat
Angela J. Townsend is a filmmaker and a traditionally published, award-winning author of gothic horror. Angela is a proud member of the Author's Guild in NYC. Angela is represented by the former Vice President of Paramount pictures, M. Kenneth Suddleson. She has a motion picture, the Forlorned based on one of her books and many others coming soon.

In 2018 Angela won a noteable trademark lawsuit ov