Start by marking “Normandy Gold Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Normandy Gold Vol. 1

Normandy Gold Vol. 1

(Normandy Gold)

When her younger sister becomes the center of a brutal murder case, tough-as-nails Sheriff Normandy Gold is force to dive headfirst into the seedy world of 1970s prostitution in Washington DC.
Published March 14th 2018 by Titan (first published June 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Normandy Gold Vol. 1, please sign up.

Joe Valdez
My favorite approach to criticism came from Gene Siskel, who sometimes asked rhetorically when on the fence about a movie, "Is this film more interesting than a documentary of the same actors having lunch?" Here we have Normandy Gold, a graphic novel written by Megan Abbott & Alison Gaylin, with artwork by Steve Scott & Rodney Ramos, published in 2018 by Titan Comics and Hard Case Crime. This orgy of gratuitous sex and violence has its heart in the right place, but would drinks at a dive ...more
Josh
Normandy Gold is a small town sheriff who is thrust into the violent underbelly of crime in 1970's Washington DC following an ill-fated telephone call from her younger sister.

The call, strange in itself, given Normandy and Lila hadn't spoken in while, gets a whole lot stranger when Normandy overhears her sister become involved in a violent confrontation with a man. The only clue echoing on the ghostly end of the line; the name Sel.

The dead silence births loud fears as Normandy envelopes hersel
Angus McKeogh
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good for what it was. Almost a revenge noir comic in the vein of 70s cinema. Raunchy and filled with sex and violence. Just like the movies. And the storyline was interesting too. I enjoyed it. I’m a fan of Megan Abbott and have found her novels with teenage protagonist really good, perhaps I need to delve into more of her hardcore crime.
Michael
Megan Abbott and Alison Gaylin team-up for the Hard Case Crime series' first graphic novel, Normandy Gold.

A love-letter to 70's thrillers, this six-issue miniseries reads just like you'd expect -- hard hitting, hard drinking, and completely over the top. In short, it's a blast...if you're in the right frame of mind for it.

When her stripper sister goes missing, Normandy Gold heads to D.C. to find out what really happened. What she finds is a vortex of lies, deceit, and underhand dealings that e
Dave
This is the first volume of the Normandy Gold pulp graphic book series. It is a racy, titillating, adult-oriented graphic comic that pays homage to the fashions and looks of the Seventies. It also gives a subtle nod to many of the best movies of the decade. The plot is steamy, seedy, and hardcore pulpy. At its heart are the adventures of Oregon Sheriff Normandy Gold who arrives in D.C. to first find and then to avenge her call girl employed sister by pretending to be a call girl herself. The art ...more
47Time
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-fiction
70's fashion... not really a fan. The lingerie is hot, though, and also the gratuitous nudity. Yes, there is plenty of nudity in this comic. Also sexism. And the main character carries a huge Rambo knife that is definitely not regulation. What's not to like? The story is a spy thriller with a dubious and somewhat unsatisfying ending.

Normandy's sister Lila, short for Delilah, disappears after servicing a client. She worked at a high-class brothel run by Felicia Vane, a woman with many connections
Rod Brown
The creators claim to be inspired by 1970s cinema like Dirty Harry and Taxi Driver, but this work seems to skew more strongly to 70's exploitation fare. The plot is simple enough: to avenge her sister, a small town sheriff becomes a high-end Washington, D.C., prostitute (please note: she doesn't go undercover; she just becomes a prostitute, NBD) and randomly assaults and kills people consequence free until she feels she comes close enough to the right one to call it a day.

If this was supposed to
Artwork by Steve Scott & Rodney Ramos
2018
Titan Comics/ Hard Case Crime Comic

1970s, Washington D.C.
Sheriff Normandy Gold is seeking vengeance for the brutal murder of her sister, Lila. She learns Lila was a prostitute, working for Felicia Vane whose biggest customers are in politics.....
Gold finds herself in the middle of a 1970s prostitution ring that can be followed all the way to the White House.
The artwork is really well done, coloring is
Matthew Hunter
There's a saying about being at a significant disadvantage: “He/she brought a knife to a gun fight.” Well, Normandy actually does bring a knife to a gunfight, and proceeds to slaughter anyone she chooses, gun-toting or not. Here’s her justification for being judge, jury and executioner of her foes:
“Creatures, you must respect them. Slaughter them without pain for they mean no harm. Humans, though—we’re all living on borrowed time. And if we don’t spend it wisely, expect to pay up.”
Jeesh! Now tha
Craig
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of disappointing. The story was a cliche-filled mix of any number of 1970s political potboilers, coupled with Watergate-conspiracy paranoia and a healthy helping of sex and gore. I didn't buy it, from the first page to the last. This is the second Hard Case Crime graphic novel I've read that falls far short of worthwhile.
Race Bannon Berns
I expected more out of a Megan Abbott book even if it
was a graphic novel. This one seems a bit un-tidy where
things move along but sometimes things are
"skipped" in my mind. Kind of a mish-mosh.

Not recommended.
Jason Furman
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel (or collection of five comic books) tells a hard boiled story set in the 1970s of a striking female sheriff who comes to Washington DC to investigate/avenge the murder of her estranged little sister who got caught up in a high class escort ring with ties that go the very top of the political system. The plot is interesting enough to sustain the work but increasingly absurd as the conspiracies go increasingly high up the chain. The illustrations are really good and bring back a ...more
Dakota Morgan
A surprisingly twisty and enjoyable riff on 70s noir. Sheriff Normandy Gold takes on prostitution in DC after her younger sister is brutally murdered by a corrupt politician. You keep thinking Normandy's cracked the case, but there's always a bigger fish to fry. The potboiler plotting is absurd to the extreme, but it's not terribly hard to lean in to. The high level of internal dialogue feels true to noir, but drags on the pacing. My largest complaint is that the various prostitutes Normandy enc ...more
Craig Childs
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normandy Gold is a small-town sheriff who goes to Washington DC to find her missing sister. At first, this seems like it would be a 'fish out of water' tale, but Normandy Gold shows from the outset how shrewd and resourceful she can be, and how far she is willing to go to find the truth. One of the more interesting twists is how quickly she decides to go undercover as a high-class prostitute.

I loved the artwork, especially the covers. There is an explosion of stylized 1970's fashion and culture
Cale
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, they nailed the aesthetic they were going for. This book feels like a novelization of a 70's political thriller merged with a sexploitation film. Normandy is our lead character, a terse woman out for revenge on the people who killed her sister, and stopping at nothing to find them. She uses her body without hesitation (and this book is definitely NSFW), and when the time comes for violence, she doesn't shy away from that either. It's brutal throughout, both the sex and the violence, and it ...more
Jef
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has motivated me to write a review. I'll try not to spoil, but frankly, the take home message is that I recommend it to any adult that has even a modicum of interest in it.

This came across my desk for consideration via Sci Fi Entertainment mag, which had a review. Man, I'm always glad I subscribe to that (yes, physical print!)!

I'd never heard of the character previously and frankly, I'm sort of relieved that there aren't any more Normandy Gold books coming, because if so, I'd HAVE to
Pamela Scott

I was given a review copy by the publisher and voluntarily reviewed it.

I must confess I rarely read graphic novels. I’ve read a few and enjoyed them but tend to forget them because there are so many things to read. Maybe I ought to read more? I really enjoyed Normandy Gold #1I, the first part of a longer story. I loved the character’s name by the way, Normandy Gold, genius. This first volume does a good job laying the foundation of what’s to come. Normandy
Chaim Klein
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good Megan Abbot crime story

My first digital graphic novel. I really enjoy Megan Abbot's earlier crime books. It was nice to see her get back into the crime scene rather than the more psychologically oriented stuff that she has been writing recently. I thought that Normandy Gold was a good story and I enjoyed the subject matter - the corrupt underbelly of politics. I also thought that this graphic
Move has influenced of Mickey Spillane, whose work I have enjoyed since first reading I, The Jury ba
Josh
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Has more nudity than any graphic novel I've read, and, excepting Locke & Key, more blood 'n' guts. I say that just to indicate that Normandy Gold really aims to capture the sleaze and the seediness of 70s exploitation films, but also the creeping paranoia and the damaged characters of its political thrillers-- and it succeeds on both counts. The artwork is cinematic, and Abbott-- one of the very best purveyors of taut, tense, pulpy thrillers-- contributes typically hard-boiled dialogue. The ...more
Hans
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I can tell that Megan Abbott and everyone else involved in this project had a great time developing and creating this book, essentially writing a 1970s era revenge film with a badass female lead. I really love Abbott's work, but even though she (and the team with the book) hit all their goals, something doesn't work for me. Maybe I am just getting tired of the necessary step to kick-start the revenge thriller: the ritual of spilling the blood of a female character. Whether the revenge taker is m ...more
Tiffani
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Megan Abbott’s early books remind me of classic noir tales from the 1940s and 50s like The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon, only told through the eyes of women. Her books, both those set in contemporary times and those set in decades past, are full of female rage, ambition, and competition. Normandy Gold is reminiscent of her early books, only this time set in the 1970s. It’s a revenge tale about a woman who carries a big knife and knows how to use it. It's gritty, violent, and a treat to read.
Frank
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, noir, 70s
I'm a big fan of Abbott's novels, so I was disappointed in this book. I don't think there's enough room for proper character development, forcing motivation and rushing plot. As a result, the main character's decision-making is hard to understand. I like the 70s setting and mood, but I felt the story itself was missing something.
Ron
As a fan of Megan Abbott's prose, I've been looking forward to this, but while the art is very good (and surprisingly graphic) I found the story rather lackluster. We don't get a strong sense of Normandy's character before things take off and then it's a bit disjointed. I didn't get the point of the 'fantasy casting' and found it distracting.
zackxdig
I wanted to like this more. A vengeance story dropped into 1970s with hookers and politics.
Kyle Burley
Groovy!
Harding Young
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jumps off the page like a 70’s vigilante flick.
Lukas Holmes
I'm torn on this. The art is incredible and the story is interesting. However it is very graphic which I normally don't mind. If you like the 70s films that they reference you'll love it.
Paul
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Great grimy riff on 70s paranoid noir with a protagonist reminiscent of Brubaker’s Velvet.
Rob Schamberger
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s the marriage of Coogan’s Bluff, Parallax Effect, The Deuce and Foxy Brown that I never knew my life was missing! Prepare to be surprised by how great this is.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Cut Me In
  • Easy Death
  • So Nude, So Dead
  • Brainquake (Hard Case Crime #116)
  • Thieves Fall Out (Hard Case Crime)
  • Catch and Release
  • The Wrong Quarry (Quarry #11)
  • The Comedy is Finished (Hard Case Crime #105)
  • Kill Now, Pay Later (Ben Gates #3)
  • Joe Bob Goes To the Drive-In
  • Pimp (Max & Angela, #4)
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Sirens
  • Like a Sniper Lining Up His Shot
  • Bandette, Volume 3: The House of the Green Mask
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Crime Comics
  • Birds of Prey Vol. 1
  • The Fearless Defenders, Vol. 2: The Most Fabulous Fighting Team of All
Megan Abbott is the Edgar®-winning author of the novels Die a Little, Queenpin, The Song Is You, Bury Me Deep, The End of Everything, Dare Me, The Fever and You Will Know Me. Her next book, Give Me Your Hand, will be published in July 2018.

Abbott is a staff writer on HBO's THE DEUCE. Her writing has also appeared in the New York Times, the Guardian, Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times Magaz

Normandy Gold (5 books)