Start by marking “Ankomst” as Want to Read:
Ankomst

Ankomst

En forsker skal overvintre ved et fuglefjell lengst nord i Norge. Hun er nylig blitt separert, datteren bor hos eksmannen, og hun venter på sin nye elsker.

Etter hvert blir det klart at forskningsoppholdet også er en flukt. Hvem har hun egentlig overlatt datteren til? Og hvorfor kommer ikke elskeren?

Ankomst er en intens roman om utsatthet. Om å søke en forutsigbar virkeligh
Published 2017 by Aschehoug

To ask other readers questions about Ankomst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ankomst

Start your review of Ankomst
Olaf Gütte
Sicher etwas für Leser die sich für Psychologie interessieren,
für mich war es leider definitiv nichts.
Paul Fulcher
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ankomst has been translated by Deborah Dawkin from Gøhril Gabrielsen's 2017's Norwegian original, and published by the wonderful small independent Peirene Press as part of their rather-neatly timed Closed Universe series of books in 2020.

Both author and translator are new to me but Peirene prevoiusly published the author's The Looking-Glass Sisters in John Irons' translatoin and Dawkin translated, amongst others, The Bell in the Lake from Lars Mytting and The Blue Room from Hanne Ørstavik.

The n
Christina
3,5 Sterne
Das war genau die richtige Spannung für mich. Nicht zu krass, nicht zu soft. Die Protagonistin war eine wirklich vielschichtige und interessante Person. Ich habe es genossen mit ihr allein in der kalten Einöde.
Aber das Ende??? So was gemeines!!! Leute, hat das noch jemand gelesen? Ich habe Gesprächsbedarf.
Rebecca
The unnamed narrator of Gabrielsen’s fifth novel is a 36-year-old researcher working towards a PhD on the climate’s effects on populations of seabirds, especially guillemots. During this seven-week winter spell in the far north of Norway, she’s left her three-year-old daughter behind with her ex, S, and hopes to receive a visit from her lover, Jo, even if it involves him leaving his daughter temporarily. In the meantime, they connect via Skype when signal allows. Apart from that and a sea captai ...more
Shona H
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I preferred this to Gøhril's last book from Peirene - The Looking Glass Sisters - for a lot of reasons. The strength of her books indubitably lies with her protagonists and this woman surviving isolation in the name of science is vibrant and all too relatable right now. The adversity she faces is against nature but also in memory now, interspersed between data recordings and a day to day life. Man versus nature and man versus self is one of the oldest themes in the book (literally) and I'm here ...more
Claire (Silver Linings and Pages)
“Was that how it was? I am spinning a story out of thin air and my own experiences. Am I stretching it too far?”
An environmental scientist is spending the winter on a remote peninsula in northern Norway in order to study the behaviour of seabirds. She is confident that she can prove a link between climate change and declining species and thereby publish her doctorate.
She is also waiting for her lover to arrive, and has left behind her young daughter with her volatile ex-husband.
The protagonis
yvonnelesenundso
Tolle Sprache mit stimmungsvollen Naturbeschreibungen und Vergleichen von Gefühlen mit Naturgewalten. Mir fehlte der Paukenschlag, dass gewisse etwas.
Tripfiction
Novella set in Northern NORWAY

Our You Tube review: https://youtu.be/27dhKy8caAw

Another beautifully produced novella from boutique publisher, Peirene Press. 50p from the sale of each book goes to charity. The book itself is a thing of beauty and quality, the paper sustainably sourced and has lovely jacket flaps, which are so rare these days (but maybe, across the board, I spot the dawn of a comeback for those, I think!).

An unnamed woman – a scientist – heads out to carry out research in inhospita
Wendy Uchimura
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book came onto my radar after reading this review -
It sounded promising and didn't disappoint. Daytime reading may be advised because as each evening approaches in this novella, so does a perceptible psychological darkness. After reading this, you'll understand why one star is missing.
Fiona Graham
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, norwegian
Excellent, compellingly written novella. I would give it four and a half stars. I read the English translation by Deborah Dawkin, publishing by Peirene: https://www.peirenepress.com/shop/com...
Siri
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
En forsker har reist ut til en liten, øde gård der det ikke har vært noen fastboende siden slutten av 1800-tallet, for å forske på trekkfuglene langs kysten. Hun har dratt fra eksmannen og datteren sin, og venter på at den nye elskeren skal komme og holde henne med selskap, her ute ved enden av verden.

Kanskje er det ikke bare eksmannen hun har reist fra, men også spennet mellom de to mennene og det de gjør med henne. For ikke å snakke om den lille datteren hennes. "Hvordan kunne jeg?" spør forte
꧁ d e n i s e ꧂
Eine Wissenschaftlerin begibt sich zu Forschungszwecken an den nördlichsten Zipfel Norwegens, die Finnmark, um dort die Auswirkungen des Klimas auf die Populationen der unterschiedlichen Seevögel zu beobachten.
Fernab von jeglicher Zivilisation und mitten in der rauen Abgeschiedenheit dieser Region, verliert sie immer mehr den Bezug zur realen Welt - was geschieht tatsächlich, was ist Gespinst ihrer Gedanken? - und muss sich den Schatten ihrer Vergangenheit - einer gescheiterten Ehe und einem übe
Monika
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
For kort. For mange kolon.
the_wistful_reader
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
ANKOMST ~ Gøhril Gabrielsen ⁣

• "This something - this sinister something in this place. Is it real, concrete? Am I feeling an intangible presence that any other person in my position would have felt? A presence that no one could identify or explain rationally? So far I have no answer."⁣

• An environmental scientist has chosen to spend the winter on a remote peninsula in the far north of Norway in order to collect data on the activities of the seabird population. She is determined to prove a lin
Louise
Quiet, reflective novel but it's lack of action, meandering narration, and frustrating ending made it somewhat arduous.
Ulrike
I loved the Book - excellent descriptions of (cold and unfriendly) nature, of the protagonist's outer and inner life, of her struggle with the elements and her psychological struggles, perfect language (as far as I can tell from the German translation). But the end (or better the none-end) ruined it all for me. What a pity.
Rebecca
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translated, norway
Very apt but maybe not the best thing to be reading right now, this is the story of a woman living alone and researching seabirds in the far north of Norway in the middle of winter.. There is no one else nearby, and she has left behind her daughter and a difficult marital situation. She is waiting for her new lover to arrive. Slowly, she seems to start to fall into some sort of loneliness induced psychosis.

This is one of those books where much is left unanswered. It’s hard to write about withou
Eva
A researcher in isolation in the dark North of Norway, observing the influence of the climate on the local bird population. While she finds comfort in the tools and measurements of science, she slowly unwinds to deal with the relationships she fled from, and is fascinated then haunted by the history of the place.

I really liked parts of this: the isolation, the nature, the tale from the past, the theme of men vs women. And I felt indifferent about other parts: her old and her new relationship, t
Adrian Alvarez
I'm going to have to read something with an excess of plot after this.

Gabrielsen's prose is swift and effective. She can paint a picture of an environment then jump into her protagonist's headspace with so much fluidity that the project of this novel seems feasible. There does come a point, however, when the lack of narrative action gets frustrating. Struggle as it might to frame the novel in a time when the protagonist is alone with her thoughts about these two very important figures in her lif
Sarah Rogers
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Thoroughly enjoyed this slight novel set in northern Norway as a lone scientific researcher undergoes a period of profound psychological change over wintering alone on a project. Some good gothic chills stimulated by the ever present underlying sense of external and internal threat, but always the hunt for the rational amongst the primal.

Peirene press’ current series is focussed on isolation - such a prescient choice, and this book definitely benefits from being read in a time of lockdown. The t
Branka
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story of the woman who wants to escape and to reflect on emotional difficulties she is going through by coming to remote place in the far north of Norway.
This novella is from Peirene's current series that is focused on isolation. It couldn't have been better timing in a time of this lockdown.
The translation by Deborah Dawkin is very good, with vivid and excellent description of nature. The story is well written and the complexity of two parallel storylines is amazing.
Bronwen Griffiths
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this a compelling read - the tension is well done, the characterization and descriptions are all wonderful - the feel of snow and ice, the dangers of living alone in such a place. The reason I've given it four stars rather than five is that, like other reviewers, I found the ending too open-ended. I don't need my books neatly tied up but the ending was a little disappointing. However, please don't let that put you off reading this! The rest is really worth it.
Joan
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly engrossing story of a scientist in isolation on a remote island in northern Norway during winter. The landscape both beautiful and harsh is well described.
Her backstory is skilfully woven into the narrative and as her links with home become looser her imagination begins to create images from the island’s past. Or is it her fantasy?
Claire Stokes
The first half was good but I’m afraid I lost interest a bit. I liked the isolation and descriptions of nature but felt the seabird research was not explored in any detail and what little dialogue there was was unconvincing. I wasn’t particularly happy with the ending either.
Ogar003
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es ist dunkel und es schneit. Bist Du wirklich allein ?
Terri
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: norway
4 stars for suspense. 1 star for ending. I only like reader choice endings if there is enough foreshadowing to determine the most probable ending. But this leaves two storylines hanging.
Tanya
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Lesezeichenfee
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naturgewalten, Vergangenheit und Einsamkeit

Fee erzählt vom Buch:
Gøhril Gabrielson erzählt die Geschichte einer Wissenschaftlerin, die im Winter – für 6 Monate - nach Finnmark zieht. Einsam und alleine in den äußersten Zipfel Norwegens. Sie möchte die Vogelpopulation und die Temperatur bzw. die Klimaveränderungen erkunden.
Nur ein Kapitän, der ihr immer wieder Lebensmittel bringt, besucht sie dort. Sie hat eine Ehe hinter sich, die sie nicht glücklich machte und sie hat einen Freund Jo, der hinter
S. G.

• Jim Curious: Viaje a través de la jungla
  • Are You Listening?
  • The Gun
  • Das Schlangenmaul
Gøhril Jeanne Gabrielsen (born 14 January 1961) is a Norwegian writer. She grew up in Finnmark, but now lives in Oslo. Gabrielsen's debut novel Unevnelige hendelser (Unspeakable Events) came out in 2006 and was well received by critics, winning Aschehoug’s First Book Award. She has published several other novels, including Svimlende muligheter, ingen frykt (The Looking-Glass Sisters) and Skadedyr ...more

News & Interviews