Start by marking “A Man and His Watch: Iconic Watches and Stories from the Men Who Wore Them” as Want to Read:
A Man and His Watch: Iconic Watches and Stories from the Men Who Wore Them

A Man and His Watch: Iconic Watches and Stories from the Men Who Wore Them

“I’ve paged through stacks of books on the history of watches. . . . But I hadn’t come across a book that actually moved me until I picked up A Man and His Watch. The volume is filled with heartfelt stories.”
—T: The New York Times Style Magazine

Paul Newman wore his Rolex Daytona every single day for 35 years until his death in 2008. The iconic timepiece, probably the
Published October 31st 2017 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about A Man and His Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Man and His Watch

Start your review of A Man and His Watch: Iconic Watches and Stories from the Men Who Wore Them
Pablo Lobo
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: watches
Reading this book was pure joy to me. There are multiple reasons for this to be the case.

To start with, this book was gifted to me by a close friend of mine who actually got me into watches in the first place. Hence it will always have a special place in my small personal library.
Secondly, I believe one of the most interesting aspects of this book is the fact that it portrays many different kinds of watches: from basic and cheap quartz watches, to high-end luxury vintage watches. However, they
Ivaylo Naydenov
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has a lot of love towards watches ever since a child, and is now getting into watch collecting, I have a lot of appreciation for this book. There truly is a special bond behind a man (I'm sure the same can go for women, but I personally haven't encountered such stories) and his watch. Whether it's an heirloom, it has some special story and meaning to it or it's the watch you've been wanting to buy your whole life, a watch can be a very special item. If you are into watches or are ...more
Sergio Gonzalez
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Horological Waltz

I found myself immersed into the stories behind each watch like an audience member at his favorite opera. I for one am an avid watch enthusiast and this book hit the spot in so many ways. Highly recommend it for anyone that prides themselves to be a fan of history, design and genius.
Victor
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m a watch guy. I especially like mechanical pieces, and there are plenty of them showcased in Matt Hranek’s manly book.

Most of the stories shared are a delight to read, like Dr. Jack Carlson’s 1914 Waltham Trench Watch. Made for American soldiers in World War I, the watch “has a shrapnel guard...In a way, the idea is morbidly humorous—you’ll get blown up, but the crystal won’t get cracked.”

Or the story of watch dealer John Cristcitiello’s Breitling Chronomat, a piece he bought at a watch show
Lee Penney
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
So, I’ve developed a bit of a watch habit over the last year. I’ve always liked watches but never been that worried about the details.

I stuck this on my Christmas list as it sounded interesting — a collection of photographs and stories about watches and their owners.

It’s more of a coffee-table book if I’m honest. Even the sort of thing you’d find in a waiting room, something you can dip into and read a few stories while waiting to be called for an appointment.

The photographs are beautiful. The
Paul
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read. I love watches so the author is preaching to the converted, but i'd never given that much thought to owning a vintage watch, or associating memories and meaning to watches - possibly because for me, no other family member has an interest in, or owns a watch of any value or meaning. I also now appreciate the beauty of an aged watch and the individuality of each watch as time leaves its mark on the case. New watches seem very sterile in comparison. I get it. I completely ...more
Kurt Benze
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a beautiful book.

Sure, some of the stories here are a bit too vain and inconsequential. The Nas one is as banal and shallow as it can get —actually, all the contributions from celebrities are, well, very celebrity-like, as you'd expect (the one involving Bill Murray is awesome, though —but that one wasn't told by a celebrity). And I was pretty disappointed at Kikuo Ibe for putting on an impersonal, kinda salesman persona. The creation of the G-Shock is one hell of a story, but sadly
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book opened up a new world for me.
Wow!
I never thought that watches would hold much historical importance until and unless it is personal for someone else to talk about it in relation to his or her own life.
The different unique, branded/crafted watches which were worn by each distinct personalities described in this precious book are so like a detailed story of their own - in short, the real glossy pictures put up in this book is so worth it!
Each of the watch featured is not an ordinary one;
Ottovonn
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finally, a book that delves into the stories behind the watches, the collectors -- or watch idiot savants (WIS) -- who enjoy them, and why these fine timepieces have captured the hearts of many men and women across the world. Hranek has collected short, but insightful stories from collectors, with each story accompanied by beautiful photos of some of the rarest and most coveted timepieces. But don't be put off by the dazzling Rolexes; this book includes watches recognizable by the everyman, from ...more
Mike McDougal
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an enjoyable trek through the worlds of both expensive watches and every day watches! The book provides narratives written by the owners of various watches (along with photographs) describing the sentimental value and love of the watch. The variety of watches is impressive: there are mind-numbingly expensive watches such as a $40,000 Swiss watch and the more typical, but equally wonderful watches such as the Casio G Shock, the Timex indiglow, and the Timex Ironman. In particular, the brief ...more
Steve Kosloske
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The photography is excellent. Very nice, close-up pics of watches.

I thought the stories were very hit/miss. For every "I found this in my grandfathers drawer" story, there was a "Yay, I bought a 1 of 3 Rolex for only $350,000!" And I also fond the story-tellers to be a very small, limited group of New Yorkers. It's like a group of collectors got together and wrote a book about their stories, and oh yeah, we'll throw in one from Mario Andretti and Sly Stalone.

Meh.
Jose
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read. Numerous watches ranging from Casio F-7, Swatch, Timex Indiglo, Patek Philippe, (several) Rolex and more showcased with meaningful stories behind them. This let's you appreciate the history and sentimental value to each timepiece.
Neha
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as interesting and gripping

The book is not as interesting and gripping as i imagined it would be. Nevertheless it's still a one time read. My favourite segment is the Ralph Lauren one.
Olafs Bērziņš
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book about men and their watches, but one side note: the author called Stalin a "premier", that fact rubbed me the wrong way and gave a bad aftertaste. Also almost all people in this book live in NYC. A good addition in ones own personal library.
Fabian Il.
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I became extremely interested in watches only a few months ago and now I am fully hooked. I liked the extremely detailed photos in this book a lot. Also it shows that there is way more to a watch than status and utility. A watch can tell a story.
Claudiu Pascalau
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful stories, beautiful photos, and beautiful overall presentation. Great book.
John C
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delightful for those that love wristwatches

THOMAS BENSON
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting read

If you love watches or even just love the stories of watch enthusiasts,this is a good read to the history and lore of watches.
Jon
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick read. Very interesting and a great idea for a book. I hope he does another one.
Wei
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best watch books you can find right now. Watches are all about the stories behind them, and this book is exactly that.
Ellison
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Features images of watches, some owned by famous, such as Sly Stallone, ELVIS PRESLEY, and James Bond.
Laree Reynolds  Henning
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good intro to horological interest

To all fans of watches and horological stories. Good examples of rare and exotic watches with also normal and accesible pieces
Patrick Book
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
A stunningly beautiful presentation and some really interesting stories.
Mauricio
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has a story to tell

A very entertaining book with tales of men and their watches, a kaleidoscope of experiences told by men from a dynamic range of backgrounds.
E G
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
More engaging than I anticipated- I may just have to start collecting watches!
Peter McDermott
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pretty pictures and some interesting stories, but ultimately unsubstantial.
adam abelson
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book that all people who are into watches should read.

This book is a great read. It tells stories about special watches and people that have had memories attached to them.
Wabantu Hlophe
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Rafn Sigurðsson
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you really like watches and stories people have with their watches this book is for you
Ateeb
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read for anyone even slightly intrigued by horology. Loved the stories behind every watch!

• The Watch
  • Fifty Watches That Changed the World
  • Watches, The History of Time: An Extensive Look
  • The Wristwatch Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Mechanical Wristwatches
  • Batman: Damned
  • If You’d Just Let Me Finish (World According to Clarkson)
  • Sales EQ: How Ultra High Performers Leverage Sales-Specific Emotional Intelligence to Close the Complex Deal
  • The Offing
  • Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot
  • London Under: The Secret History Beneath the Streets
  • This Is Not How It Ends
  • Fever Pitch
  • Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography
  • Mark Twain in Hawaii: Roughing It in the Sandwich Islands: Hawaii in the 1860s
  • Cracking Philosophy (Cracking Series)
  • Tâm Lý Dân Tộc An Nam