Start by marking “The Scent of You” as Want to Read:

The Scent of You

Perfume blogger Polly is in crisis. Will her husband's absence break her ... or make her? A novel of perfumes, exploring life, love, loss and forgiveness - Maggie Alderson's new bestseller.

Are you still married if you haven't seen your husband for months?Polly's life is great. Her children are away at uni, her glamorous mother - still modelling at eighty-five - is happily
Published June 14th 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Scent of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scent of You

Start your review of The Scent of You
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
*3.5 stars
A great deal of time has passed since I last read a Maggie Alderson book but the promise of a story focussed on perfume, a subject that intrigues me, was enough to entice me to read Alderson’s tenth novel, The Scent of You.

The Scent of You follows the life of Polly, a happily married woman in her fifties, with two grown up children who have flown the nest and are now at university. Polly has a double career. She is a yoga teacher and a perfume
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This is why I love using my library audiobook app. I love finding gems like this book that I probably wouldn't have found otherwise and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Full review to come.
Amanda
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Maggie Alderson fan and have read the majority of her books. I really loved this one. The main theme (about perfume) was unique and I found quite fascinating... I'm not a big 'perfume' fan, I don't wear it very often as I find the smell can be quite overpowering, and I'm very 'fussy' about what I like. My favourites are 'CK One'; 'Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey' and the mens version of 'Davidoff Cool Water'. This is not something I would normally discuss in a book review, but if you have ...more
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not a faithful reader of Maggie Alderson, in fact I can’t remember if I’ve ever read any of her books before. But I finally waded my way to the end of this one! It wasn’t boring really, just sort of… twee. Nice treacly wish fulfilment for middle aged women who want to escape from their dull lives and imagine that they are someone like Polly, who has the sort of life where she doesn’t have to work for anything – it all just conveniently falls into her lap. Starts a perfume blog and it turns ...more
marlin1
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, netgalley
Polly has been happily married (or so she thinks) for 24 years but New Years Eve sees her spending it by herself. Her husband David has just left her with a message saying that he has to go off on his own for a while and not to contact him or his work for 6 months.
So Polly, a successful perfume blogger and yoga teacher, Clemmie her medical student daughter and son Lucas, who is in his first term in uni have to grapple with their father's decision to take a sabbatical from their life. While David
Suzanne
Review to follow. But flat. Unusual.
Clair Sharpe
Polly is a married perfume blogger and yoga teacher with two grown up children away at University. The book starts just after her husband David has announced he needs some time away from the family and has left on a research trip with the University, leaving no way of contacting him. She is understandably lost and confused but soon starts to make a life for herself. She bonds with the girls who do her yoga class, while visiting her glamorous mother in her retirement village she meets at old ...more
Scatterbooker
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Scent of You is asweet romance and relationship focused novel set in the world of perfumery. Polly is a part-time yoga teacher and successfulEnglish perfume blogger. Her professor husband, David, abruptly left their home under mysterious circumstances leaving strict instructions not to look for him. Polly copes with the stress of David's disappearance and her mother's failing health with the help of her two children, Shirley, the blunt yoga student, Guy, the mysterious perfumer, and Edward ...more
Sky
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a Maggie Alderson fan for many years now and was excited to get the opportunity to read and review her latest book The Scent of You.

The story follows the life of Polly who writes a perfume blog and teaches Yoga. Her mother is a glamorous model and she has two grown up children who both live away from home. Polly thought her life was going well until her world is turned upside down, when her Husband decides to up and leave her with no explanation at all.
As Polly struggles to come to
Sharon Metcalf
Anosmia - the inability to perceive odor or a lack of functioning olfaction—the loss of the sense of smell. For someone like Polly, the protagonist in Maggie Alderson's The Scent of You, this condition would be an utter nightmare. Her sense of smell defined her and gave shape to her lifes work. Polly writes a perfume blog Fragrantcloud.net where she describes in delicious and vivid detail some of her favourite smells. Not just perfume smells but all manner of smells that triggered
Milli (Bookish Belle)
First of all thank you to HarperCollins for letting me read an advanced copy of The Scent of You by Maggie Alderson through NetGalley.
The Scent of You is a sweet-smelling joy of a book!

As soon as I saw it I fell in love with the cover. Absolutely perfect for this story. I have been reading mystery/thrillers alot at the moment and this book was a breath of fresh air and much welcome light change that I loved from the start.
The Scent of You is a story of Polly, a perfume-blogger/yoga instructor
Bree T
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never read Maggie Alderson before but this book caught my attention immediately when it arrived because I love perfume. I’m not in any way knowledgeable like Polly, the main character is. She runs a perfume blog and gets invited to a lot of exciting events and launches for fragrances and is really quite well known. Her mother was a very famous model decades ago, for houses like Dior and has always had a very large perfume collection but favoured some signature scents. Polly always ...more
Libby
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite frankly, went on for a bit too long. Alderson babbled on a bit too much about perfumes and some of the trivia she goes on and on about didn't really add much to the storyline. That said, the book had a great plot and I really wanted to know what happened. There was also a surprising twist that I didn't see coming.
Shayla O'neil
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took me on a ride, a whirlwind of emotion, on A scale of which very few books can achieve. To say that this book connected with me would not do it justice, as someone who has always been amazed with how smells and tastes, sights, sounds and even touches interact with this world of ours, this book reflects that to a t.
Gervy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff
Mel Campbell
I'd never read any of Maggie Alderson's fiction before, although I'm a longtime fan of her journalism and at one point I followed her blog. Her writing is so warm and welcoming: charming and funny and self-deprecating. It makes you feel as if you could be great friends with the author.

I read this because I was on a panel with Maggie at the Melbourne Writers Festival, and I was super jazzed to meet her but also trepidatious in case she didn't live up to the persona I'd created for her in my
Jo Barton
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
olly is placed in an impossible position when David, her husband of twenty four years tells her that he needs to spend some time alone without any contact with her or his children. In total bewilderment, and with little clue as to his whereabouts, Polly and her grown up children, Clemmie and Lucas, try to make sense of David's unusual behaviour however, with no real contact, it’s extremely difficult to know what to do, so for a while they do nothing. Polly turns to her life as a successful ...more
Kate
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Maggie Anderson has always been one of my favourite authors, I love love love her earlier works and hated that it took soooo long for a new release. I'm finding lately I don't connect as much with her characters, she seemed to go from your classic mid 20's chick lit tale straight into mid 40's-50s aged women, whilst enjoyable I just can't relate to a lot of what happens.
Paige
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began this book in fits and starts and was around halfway through when I picked it up again this past weekend. All of a sudden I connected with the story, particularly the children's reactions to their fathers departure. When the circumstances begin to appear mysterious to Polly and Clemmie, I really connected with the journey facing these characters. I think Polly's emerging independence made her a more relatable character as well.
Emily Booker
There were parts of this book that I thoroughly enjoyed, however I found myself constantly distracted by the poor grammar and clumsy dialogue! Some gold within but a bit of an overall disappointment, I’m sorry to say.
Robyn Gaye-Murphy
By
Maggie Alderson

Now first I have to tell you an odd thing, I have no sense of smell, never have had and neither did my Dad’s mother. This novel is all about scents, how they effect everyday life and attach to special memories. I absolutely loved this book and had my sister waiting to read it after I passed on so many great pages I had read. Not what was on them all, but hints and she kept hearing how much her sister with no sense of smell enjoyed reading it so much.
Polly is a
Lyn Richards
Hippolita (Polly) has the perfect marriage of 20 odd years, she is a perfume blogger and a yoga teacher and two grown children. Life is pretty good for Polly until one day her seemingly perfect husband university lecturer leaves her stating that he's off on a sabbatical and not to contact anyone or tell anyone about his disappearance.

What could be a disastrous turn in a seemingly perfect life could turn out to be not so disastrous.......or could it?

Polly doesnt have much of a social circle to
Ann-Marie
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Beauty and Lace and Harper Collins for the gift of this book.

From the perfume bottle on the cover to the very last ‘blog post’ I was in love with this book.
I adore perfume and have well over 50 bottles. Not a day goes by that I’m not wearing perfume.
So I really adored the whole perfume voyage that this story took us on.
The idea of adding Polly’s blog to each chapter was a great way to give us a little more depth into the character and what she was actually thinking and feeling.

Katharine.
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book!

This book touched on such much more than just romance. It touched on friendship, and children, and parents, and falling in love the second time. There is a mystery that runs through this story. This is not a psychological thriller. It is a story about a family that cannot make heads nor tails of father who has disappeared. The reason becomes clear towards the end of the book. Once the secret is out there is freedom for everyone. The theme of the book is the wonderful way the
Christine
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book with its very different story line and engaging characters. There wasn't one character who I wasn't interested in and would like to know more about. All of the sub-plots were fascinating: the mystery of Polly's husband, the secrecy surrounding Guy, the hints at Chum's past.
And all of the revelations were satisfying, though some less than others.
I enjoyed the glimpse into Chum's Upper Class life.
I idea of Polly's blog about the scents of her life was very inspired.
I've
Anne-marie
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read for a perfume lover, and an historian, like me. The slow reveal of what had happened to the husband was well done, and convincing. And if you have ever been caught balancing the needs of your elderly parent/s and your teenage or young adult children, you will identify with Polly's dilemmas. I guess this is a feature of 'middle-aged chick lit'? Happy ending of course. One thing though: it is completely fine to smear perfume gently between your wrists. Really. At most you might ...more
Senga
It's always lovely to find a new favourite author, and I think Maggie Alderson may become one of mine. I thoroughly enjoyed this light relationship read, which had a nice point of difference with the main character's blog running as a thread through the story. If you enjoy authors like Liz Byrski, Katie Fforde, and Nora Roberts, then you too may also enjoy Maggie Alderson.
Nicky
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story of friendship, love, and hope.
I was sucked into Polly's world and taken on a beautiful, sometimes not so beautiful, journey with the help of dozens of fragrances that bought a smile to my face. A well written, engrossing tale that I would highly recommend.
Thanks to Netgalley for a ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Fofo
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book, light, easy to read....but by god, we were supposed to conveniently ignore (SPOILER ALERT) that the main character's estranged husband is a thought pedophile and happily accept her random happy ending???
Felicity M
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with all of Maggie's books, I loved this. So much. Couldn't read it fast enough but didn't want it to end. Such an interesting and detailed storyline, I loved all the characters, especially Polly ... A bit of a long read but highly recommended !
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lost Without You
  • The Guesthouse
  • Table For Eight
  • The French Perfumer
  • You Sent Me a Letter
  • Without Trace (Morgan Vine, #1)
  • The Trip of a Lifetime
  • Gone by Midnight
  • Girl In Between
  • The Beekeeper's Secret
  • Everything You Told Me
Maggie Alderson is a British-Australian author (that’s how I’m supposed to write it, but I’m not very good at talking about myself in the third person, so I’m going to can it).

I was born in London, brought up in rural Staffordshire, and educated at the University of St Andrews - and then at the University of Life, Sydney campus.

I spent many years covering the fashion shows in Paris, Milan,
“Again Polly remembered all the notes in this perfume from the event earlier, and enjoyed waiting for each one to register in the olfactory bulb in the front of her brain, while her imagination did its own thing. The neroli, jasmine and sandalwood transported her to a summer night in the south of France, wearing a crisp white shirt- this was a much fresher chypre than the first one. Then she remembered she'd sprayed this one on her wrist during the event earlier and lifted it to her nose to see how it developed since then. Suddenly, out of nowhere: David.
Her eyes snapped open. Coal tar?
"Has this got guaiac wood in it?" she asked Lucien, not caring if it interfered with his testing of Guy.
Lucien smiled broadly.
"Yes," he said, "but very, very deep inside, it's a base note, as you would know. Your nose is very good, Polly."
Guy grasped her wrist and brought it to his nose. "It's just under the bergamot and before the honeysuckle," he said, opening his eyes.”
0 likes
“So, putting aside the yucky ones, the positive smells of a dog for me are the next-day cold-stew smell of his meaty food, and the aroma of a roasted chicken right out of the oven, which will have him running to the kitchen like a rocket. The dry seed and hay hum of a pet shop, and the sickly rotting meat of his treats.
Grassy fresh air and mud on long winter walks. The rubbery tang of the toys he likes to brutalize. The worn-in leather of his collar and lead. The sweet, musty smell of his velvety ears, which I love to stroke, and yes, I admit it, I kiss them.

My scents for a dog are (a bit of a challenge in all honesty, but it's fun to stretch yourself sometimes!):

Barbour For Him by Barbour
Grass by The Library of Fragrance
Dirt by The Library of Fragrance
Cuir de Russie by Chanel
Piper Leather by Illuminum
Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur”
0 likes