Start by marking “The Jackal’s House (Lancaster's Luck, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Jackal’s House (Lancaster's Luck,  #2)

The Jackal’s House

(Lancaster's Luck #2)

Sequel to The Gilded Scarab

Something is stalking the Aegyptian night and endangering the archaeologists excavating the mysterious temple ruins in Abydos. But is it a vengeful ancient spirit or a very modern conspiracy….

Rafe Lancaster’s relationship with Gallowglass First Heir, Ned Winter, flourishes over the summer of 1900, and when Rafe’s House encourages him to join Ned’
ebook, Dreamspinner Press, 310 pages
Published October 30th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Jackal’s House, please sign up.
Anna Butler I'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier - I don't haunt Goodreads much! There is one more Rafe and Ned book in the works - I'm about 75% done. No idea…moreI'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier - I don't haunt Goodreads much! There is one more Rafe and Ned book in the works - I'm about 75% done. No idea yet of publication dates or anything, but maybe at the end of this year?

I'm delighted, by the way, that you like the Lancaster's Luck world. It's been a blast to write!(less)

Chris, the Dalek King
I can’t remember what prompted me read the first book in this series, The Gilded Scarab (not The Golden Scarab, like my brain insist on calling it), but I have been a huge fan since that first read. The alternate steampunky 19th century England was so my jam it isn’t even funny. And not only was it like everything I love about steampunk-style books, but the story was interesting and kinda unique. The characters, especially the main hero Rafe, were perfect fits for the world and the story being t ...more
Eugenia
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, historical, steampunk, arc
*I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review *

I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this follow up to the amazing Gilded Scarab by Anna Butler. I was not disappointed in finding this new adventure just as unique and captivating as the first one.

This book features Ned and Rafe settling into a relationship after the harrowing attack on Rafe which ended the last novel. Rafe is happy with his life—staying away from his House and spending time with Ned at his coffee house. Ned see
Karen
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT!!!! Full review to follow soonish...and in the meantime...here's something to set the mood, enjoy...
You Belong to Me by Bing Crosby (totally my fav rendition of this song, even though Dean Martin did it first)

and now...as promised, here's my review...

‘The Jackal’s House’ is the second book in Anna Butler’s amazing series “Lancaster’s Luck” but before I get into trying to explain why it’s amazing without giving away anything about the story. I’m just going to do a bit of housekeeping her
Kaje Harper
This is the sequel to The Gilded Scarab, one of my favorite books of 2015. It's steampunkish historical romance, with a bit of mystery. Rafe was an aviator, until a crash damaged his peripheral vision and left him grounded. He bought a coffee house near the London museum housing Egyptian artifacts, and came into the orbit of Ned Winters, archaeologist, fellow gay man (perforce closeted in this Victorianesque society), and Heir to the most powerful political family in Britain. Their adventures, a ...more
Erica
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Just amazing and excellent and wonderful. It's books like this that make me tell people all about how much I love Steampunk when, in reality, I find so much of it to be disappointing. It's just that when it's good, it's soooo good.

You have to roll your eyes at Rafe a little bit for not figuring out what was coming when everyone around him was dropping such heavy hints. But then when all is revealed your heart breaks for him a little anyway. It's okay. Ned will cheer him up.

It's been so
Ulysses Dietz
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Jackal’s House (Lancaster’s Luck, #2)
By Anna Butler
Dreamspinner Press, 2017
Five stars

Steampunk is the mashup of historical and science fiction. It takes significant writing chops to pull off any steampunk setting, but to create a world rooted in real history and overlay it with a steampunk context—parallel universe style—is an even trickier feat. Anna Butler accomplishes this neatly in her second novel in the “Lancaster’s Luck” series.

You isn’t absolutely necessary to have read the first bo
Joyfully Jay
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Joyfully Jay review.

It’s been quite a while since the first book in the Lancaster’s Luck series came out. The Gilded Scarab was released almost three years ago, and when I read it, I was eager for more in the series. The first book is one that has stuck with me, and I remembered all too well my love of Rafe. So even though it had been so long, I was very much looking forward to the next installment.

I will say here that I think the time between books was a bit of a detriment. This is
2shay
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I was much younger, I was fascinated by everything Egyptian. I grabbed every book with a sphinx or pyramid on the cover, every book with a mention of archeologists or Egyptologists in the blurb. It wasn’t that I was so interested in ancient Egyptian history, but the characters who would put their lives in danger to face down the curses and plagues and dangers facing those who dared to dig in ancient places. At some point, when I had consumed many, many books, some of them not that good, tha ...more
Pepón
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance, sf, lgbtq
Just wonderful. I think I liked this one even better than the first one, "The Gilded Scarab". Beautifully written steampunk, always interesting world building. The subdued humor of the MC gives it great overall lightness, in spite of having quite a bit of action and some distressing scenes. It reminded me a little bit of "Necropolis" (Whyborne & Griffin #4) because of the Aegyptian/Archeological theme, but I think this one is even better. So if liked that one, you'll love this one.
Alison
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent. I loved this. It is book two of a series and does not stand alone. The first book, The Gilded Scarab, is fantastic, so do read that first. I'm a big fan of Anna Butler's work. This series is great and her Taking Shield sci-fi series is a top, top favourite of mine. I'd call this a steampunk mystery with a central romance and it's fun and gripping and really enjoyable. Rafe and Ned are lovely characters and I had fun reading about them and their adventures in Aegypt. The political mach ...more
Anne Barwell
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was already a huge fan of Anna Butler’s SF Taking Shield series before I started reading this one. Although it has a different feel to it—and is a different genre—I’m in love with this series too.

The Jackal’s House—like book 1 in the series—is narrated in first person by Rafe Lancaster. I love his tongue-in-cheek banter, and internal narrative. One of the strengths of this author’s writing is her characterisations. Rafe is just the right mix of smart arse, and a man who feels very deeply. Alt
ItsAboutTheBook
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faye
Review can be read at It's About The Book

Rafe Lancaster and Ned Winter are as happy as a couple can be given their respective social stations and the place and times in which they live. Rafe had just settled into their usual schedule when he gets reminded Ned will be going to Aegypt. Ned’s even taking his son and his son’s dog. Rafe can’t just up and go, he’s still paying off House Stravaigor for the loan they gave him to buy his coffee house. Well, things change. Ned suddenly needs
Heather
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4-1/2 Stars
Rafe and Ned have settled into the early stages of a blossoming relationship but Rafe's family is about to way in and expect him to not only continue his "friendship" but to encourage it so they have Ned's possible House support in the future. When Ned's latest dig is going to take him away from Rafe for nearly 6 months, situation presents itself for Rafe to go along. Will the find danger during the expedition and will said danger cause heartache for the new lovers or will it strength
Tanwen Cooper
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been waiting for a sequel to The Gilded Scarab for ages! The characters and setting are one of my favorite I've read, and I've been chomping at the bit to get back to them.

The plot on this one, as with the first, is a little slow. It takes a while for things to get going, and things don't really build to a real tension until at least 2/3 of the way through and was then resolved rather quickly. But I didn't mind too much because what kept me coming back to this book was Rafe.

The PoV charact
Melissa
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance
I've been waiting impatiently for this book from the moment I closed the first book. It doesn't disappoint. Anna Butler has kept Rafe as charming, brave, and kind as he was in the first book. He's my book boyfriend, a term I just recently learned. But it's not just Rafe, but all the characters that really shine in this book. They're complex, interesting, and written so sharply, so distinctly, that I never mixed anybody up. Butler introduces a couple characters partway through this book, and by t ...more
Megan Reddaway
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second in the series and a must-read if you've enjoyed The Gilded Scarab, and possibly even if you haven't read that, although I'd recommend starting with book 1.

Ned Winter, archaeologist and heir to one of the most powerful positions in this alternate-reality England of the early 1900s, is going back to AEgypt for another season's digging. Rafe will miss him badly ... but circumstances might mean that Rafe will be going, too. However, something or someone is sabotaging the dig in ways that
Marge
4.5 stars, rounded up to 5

It was wonderful to see Rafe and Ned growing closer and getting more comfortable with each other. It was fun to see Rafe give his brother and other snobs their comeuppance when they realized how highly connected Rafe has become with his friendship with Ned and Ned's family (or House). Ned's son was a sweetie who was important in the book, but I felt he was appropriately shown and didn't overwhelm the story.

Having read all of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series, I fo
Li
I genuinely adored this book. It’s the perfect follow-up to The Gilded Scarab, but with more adventure, romance, and politicking. Loved Rafe - his deadpan narration was a delight as always - and his deepening relationship with Ned, while the alt-Egypt archaeology elements were reminiscent of Amelia Peabody at her best. The secondary characters were beautifully fleshed-out; Hawkins especially was a delight. While I had a suspicion as to how things would play out, it was still thoroughly fun to se ...more
Tanya
"I am very pleased to make your acquaintance, Master Winter." I would have said more, but I couldn't offhand remember the words of the ritual of exorcism, and a simple "Avaunt, ye daemonic spawn of Satan!" was likely to hurt [his father's] feelings. [p. 22]

Not as much fun as The Gilded Scarab , possibly just because it was set in Aegypt rather than London Londinium (and there was rather less coffee, and fewer cold-fusion pistols). Ned Winter's excavations are plagued by sightings of a jackal-he
Reader
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really exceptional world -the old and new together. Pretty neat. The political structure of The Brittanic Imperium made me think of the G8, G20 and Developing Nations.

I was quite sorry when the story ended. I finished reading about 2 a.m. so I began speculating:

Wont' Rafe have to get married sometime and what would Ned's reaction be? How would they deal with it? Would Rafe have a son / daughter who may becomes friends with Harry and / or Jack? All sorts of unsettled stuff crept in my mind. And
jaxnsmom
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hoopla, mm, steampunk, 2019
Love Rafe and Ned and enjoyed seeing them spend more time together. It was good seeing them working (poor Rafe having to do manual labor) and playing (sand - ick), but there was always danger coming at them from all sides. I liked Harry and how he expressed his emotions as though they were what his dog was feeling. It's a shame how all family/House members weren't as likable, but like they say, you can't choose your blood family.

I wish there was a third book. I'd love to see what trouble/rebelli
Melanie
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 5 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-c3c

From that review: " Let me say right from the start The Jackal's House by Anna Butler is just outstanding entertainment and a grand read!  If you love suspense, mystery, romance, and a story full of intrigue and great world building, well, this is the one for you..."

For all our reviews, author interviews, and such, visit us at http://scatteredthoughtsandroguewords...
Ng
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 11-uc-mm
In short: I skipped all the pages with sex and the book turned out to be a far more interesting read after that.

Didn't like Ned as much in this part. Rafe, once past the sex and waxing about Ned, turned interesting. I wish there was more about the House politics. The mystery was good. I kind of guessed who the kidnappers would be. The second half of the book went super fast.

Justjeanette
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better

I'm looking at another case of book hangover. .. that feeling of not wanting to leave the universe created by the author, nor leave the characters behind. The guided scarab was a grand adventure. ... The Jackel's house a perfect sequel... now all I can do is hope we see more of Rafe and Ned in a third book....
Lada
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had been expecting exciting action/adventure in Aegypt, but, alas, the MCs were too busy waxing poetic and fucking each other stupid to have an adventure. The pace only picked up near the end where some very interesting revelations came to surface, and only after that I got my smart and clear-headed Rafe back, though only a few chapters because the story ended with TBC.
Susan
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbtq, steampunk
More dashing good fun, with shades of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series if that classic were M/M and steampunk. I wish Butler would let Ned be a little more heroic (instead of just noble) but I guess Rafe is heroic enough for the two of them. I've come to adore many of the secondary characters, and seeing Rafe confronted by Ned's son was worth the price of the book just by itself. Seems like the end of the series because of some big revelations late in the story, but definitely left me wan ...more
Theodora IK
The politics of this universe is fascinating. I’d love
to read more
Stonemagpie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All the stars! This was so good. Beautifully written.
Anwen Ross
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! A worthy sequel to the first--in fact even better IMO. I loved the setting in Egypt and the way the suspense built up on the dig. Genius!
Kirsten
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as the first one-- almost all the action took place in the last quarter of the book and the beginning was a bit boring and kind of dragged. I missed the house machinations.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Could you combine entries for the same book, please? 3 17 Oct 16, 2017 03:25AM

Lancaster's Luck (2 books)
  • The Gilded Scarab (Lancaster's Luck,  #1)