Start by marking “Finding Yvonne” as Want to Read:
Finding Yvonne

Finding Yvonne

Since she was seven years old, Yvonne has had her trusted violin to keep her company, especially in those lonely days after her mother walked out on their family. But with graduation just around the corner, she is forced to face the hard truth that she just might not be good enough to attend a conservatory after high school.

Full of doubt about her future, and increasingly
Published August 7th 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Finding Yvonne, please sign up.
Assia one is biracial, and white passing. the other guy is black.

Start your review of Finding Yvonne
Emma Giordano
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
4.5 Stars! Really enjoyed this book! It was somewhat different than what I expected, but I feel it was actually much more complex and satisfying. Brandy Colbert has done it again!

CW: substance use (view spoiler)

I went into Finding Yvonne knowing it was about:
1. A girl who loved her violin, but didn't know if that was enough
2. A girl who got pregnant
Those were my only expectations going into this novel, and I was surprised to find that:
1. Both of these themes were explo
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Madalyn (Novel Ink)
WOW. This was an absolute roller coaster of emotions for me. I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first because I found a lot of the decisions Yvonne made to be really immature, but then my enjoyment skyrocketed when I took off my Adult™ glasses and realized that all of the things she did were 100% things I would have done as a teen. AND THEN THAT ENDING. I CRIED. I love a book that encourages women of all ages to follow their own path and to do whatever is right for them and their bodies. THIS ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This is such a complicated book, because I kind of like it in hindsight but I also think it's one of the most non-books I've ever read.... but I also love it so much in hindsight??

Can I just reiterate that slice-of-life stories are aggressively not my thing? And that I hate cheating as a plot device so fucking much oh my god can it just die already? Finding Yvonne is a slice-of-life story about a girl who becomes pregnant, and while some elements - like the unapologetic feminism - stood out
Dahlia
Jun 10, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018-releases
God, Brandy Colbert is just so good at capturing these seemingly little things that have totally fallen through the cracks in the ways we talk about teens and putting them front and center in can't-miss books. I only barely read blurbs when the author is already an insta-buy for me, so I thought this was about a violin prodigy whose life gets thrown off kilter when she gets pregnant, but in truth, it's the spaces in between that - it's what happens when you aren't a prodigy and you've just lost ...more
mindful.librarian ☀️
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
😭 ALL THE FEELS ❤️
I was up and down and up and down during parts of this contemporary YA novel, but oh my goodness, the last quarter of the book just blew me away. Colbert pulls no punches in her portrayal of a lonely teen who is (rightfully) not at all apologetic about her sexual experiences…….but Yvonne is still a teen and she doesn’t have any idea where she wants to go in life and how she wants to use her many talents (music and baking). Yvonne’s relationship with her father is such a welcom
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
A messy yet wonderful book that unexpectedly but profoundly explores the uncertainty of the future, family, and the choices we make.

- Centers on Yvonne, a Black teen who, although has dedicated 11 years of her life to the violin, now feels like she has lost her passion. This book follows the grief she feels, the decisions she makes, and the unexpected intersection of her life.
- Yvonne was such a brilliantly written character. She makes mistakes, she is unapologetic about her choices, and though
Jen Ryland
Sep 04, 2018 added it
Shelves: ownvoices
Really enjoyed this!

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram! Or check out my Jen In Ten reviews on Youtube - get the lowdown on current books in 10-30 seconds!
Alexandria  Ang
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this in two sittings. Yet another Brandy Colbert book I am absolutely obsessed with.
kav (xreadingsolacex)
disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for a review. This is no way impacted my opinions.

note: I am aware this review is late - I had some issues with getting reviews of a few August ARCs I received last August that I am currently catching up on.

actual rating: 3.5 stars (rounded down)

Finding Yvonne is a yound-adult contemporary about an eighteen-year-old, Yvonne, who has grown up her entire life as a violin player, but is now questioning whether that is the right choice
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I devoured this on audiobook in two days. The synopsis was misleading as the pregnancy isn't a central part of the book (it only happens around two thirds in) but didn't take away from my enjoyment. Yvonne is an amazing, complex character and I loved following her, her journey and her character growth as well as relationship growth with different people in her life.
Kelly
Yvonne's been playing violin for many years, but now that her senior year is here, she's facing the reality that playing violin might not be her future. She's been fine at school, but she doesn't want to attend a school to simply attend school. Right now, she's concerned about figuring out what to do with her passion for music and how to temper that with the impending reality of high school ending. Then there's the rocky relationship she has with her dad and the desire she's unable to shake rela ...more
Vicky Again
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed reading Colbert's Little and Lion when I read it last year, and Finding Yvonne was in a lot of ways different, but also the same.

It's Colbert's voice or something, but it has that same heavy feeling while you read that makes it seem like every single thing that's going on has a lot more meaning than what's on the page. As if the simplest acts--baking a cake--are so much more.

I love this about Colbert's writing and I think she's a fantastic novelist with a really strong
Amanda
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m always excited to read a Brandy Colbert story. She always writes her characters in a way that feels very realistic. She allows her characters to be messy and make mistakes because people don’t always make great decisions. The thing that sets her stories apart is that her characters always have a logical reason for why they do the things they do. They never get caught in the trope of “character makes a bad decision/ acts stupid for no reason in order to further the plot.” When these character ...more
Rec-It Rachel
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfection.
I mean, it's a Brandy book so OBVIOUSLY
but still
Jen Petro-Roy
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, ebook, ya
Everything Brandy Colbert writes is just stellar.
Mindy 👾
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a great story. First time reading a book By Brandy Colbert. I will have to check out more from her.
VL
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this one up but I love Yvonne and the relationships she has. Highly recommend
Neville Longbottom
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
3.5 - I feel like this book bit off a little bit more than it could chew. There are a lot of interesting challenges that the main character Yvonne faces. However, because the book was so short I don’t think any of these different plot points are given the time that they needed to be fully explored.

Yvonne was a unique character. She’s figuring out that maybe she’s not as passionate about playing the violin as she used to be. Now she has to decide if she’s going to give that up to follow a differ
Assia
Aug 18, 2018 added it
This review was originally posted on my blog Assia Something.

Summary: Yvonne realizes that playing violin is no longer her future. She just doesn’t feel the passion necessary to dedicate her ENTIRE life to playing. Enter Warren, the guy she’s kinda-sorta dating, who is only two years older than her, and has already found his life’s passion. And Omar, the cute guy who plays music on Venice Beach. This is a bad summary, just read the book.
I don’t know what I expected this book to be, but it wasn’
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Yvonne's feeling a bit of a teenage life crisis. Who is she and what will she do with her life? Brandy Colbert brings her character to life by not always having the right answers pinpointed at each chapter's end. Yvonne does what's right for her without preaching and proselytizing, which is refreshing from many young adult books stressing cliched outcomes as the choice to make.

While slow at times, Finding Yvonne is a story well worth a read. You will find yourself concerned about her and her cho
Karen
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Originally posted at For What It's Worth on 8/30/18: http://www.fwiwreviews.net/search?q=f...

I had been wanting to give Colbert’s writing a try and picked up both her Stonewall Award winning book, Little & Lion (purchased) and an arc of Finding Yvonne at a signing while I was at ALA.

I’m so glad I did because this quiet little story packed a lot of emotional punch.

Yvonne has always been surrounded by people who knew their calling right away and are brilliant at it. Her dad is an a succe
Alex Johnson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A slice of life story about a high school senior finding herself through music and cooking and also juggling boys. I liked how the book was very focused on this ungrounded-ness that high schoolers usually feel, but it was overshadowed by the love triangle. Yvonne herself wasn't super well developed either, which also made it more difficult for me to get into the story.
Lekeisha The Booknerd
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ownvoices
This is no Little and Lion, but still an enjoyable read. It felt a little young; not typically a YA read, but more of a MG. Maybe because I connected with Yvonne somewhat, and her indecision on everything LIFE, but those parts stood out and made it a more pleasant read.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was heavy, but it was also honest and real. I’m so glad this story exists.
alyanna ✨
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
there’s no bullshitting here. I LOVE IT.
Mariah
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars

Finding Yvonne is an amazingly feminist and extremely enjoyable coming of age novel about a young African American woman, Yvonne, coming into her own as she navigates her family life, sex life, and reproductive choices.

It is a wonderfully refreshing and surprising read because Brandy Colbert writes Yvonne as unapologetic about her sexual choices, which is so needed in YA lit as a model of sexual liberation. While Yvonne does face insecurities and make mistakes over the course of the
Kelly Hager
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brandy Colbert is easily one of the best authors writing today. Finding Yvonne is completely captivating and it's so relatable.

The synopsis spoils the fact that Yvonne is pregnant, but we don't learn that until almost 200 pages in (my ARC is 276 pages). Obviously she has to figure out what to do there, but the decision about her future is already complicated. Yvonne plays the violin. That's what she does; that's her identity. Except lately, it hasn't been the joy it usually is. It sometimes feel
Arrow Nox
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
5/10 OR 3/5 STARS

Okay, so I’m confused. Obviously this book was good, otherwise it wouldn’t have a 5/10. But obviously it’s not awesome since it has a 5/10.

Starting with what’s good, let’s go with Yvonne and her family. I loved the bond she had with her father because it was completely bittersweet and Colbert leaves it open-ended because father-daughter relationships are very sensitive. Especially if your father is a full-time chef.

What I loved most about this book is Warren *dreamy sigh*. He wa
Nikki S
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: most-anticipated
A beautifully written contemp about real world issues in African American families. I don't think there is a way I could love this more! Reali review to come!

**EDIT 01/05/19**

You can find more of my reviews here at my blog: Take Me Away...

When I heard about Brandy Colbert's new book, I added it without question. After reading Little and Lion last year I fell in love with her words and I knew I would read anything and everything else she wrote. And of course, once I had this in my hands, I didn'
Saniya
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trigger warnings: estranged family, slutshaming, sex, weed use and mention, alcohol, underage drinking, abortion (nothing descriptive...just conversation around the emotions of it), racist microaggressions (more in conversation than actually happening), weird love triangle that toes the line of cheating, slightly underaged relationship (she’s a couple months off from 18 in the beginning)

I didn’t realise this while reading but now in retrospect it’s an all black cast of characters! Nice!!!!! I tr
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Monday's Not Coming
  • Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
  • A Bitter Pill to Swallow
  • Color Me In
Brandy Colbert was born and raised in the Missouri Ozarks and has worked as an editor for several national magazines. She lives and writes in Los Angeles.

Articles featuring this book

When looking for the best recommendations in the young adult genre, we decided to turn to YA authors themselves. Narrowing ...