Start by marking “Podkin Eenoor” as Want to Read:
Podkin Eenoor

Podkin Eenoor

(The Five Realms #1)

Laat je meevoeren door dit verrassende fantasy-verhaal over een onwaarschijnlijke held.
'Verhalen gaan niet alleen maar over strijd en wraak,' zegt de bard. 'Je moet ook de hoofdpersonen tot leven laten komen. Een beetje spanning, een beetje sfeer, dat hoort er ook bij. En wat romantiek.'
Welkom in de wereld van Podkin Eenoor
Ieder konijn weet wie Podkin Eenoor i
Published March 14th 2017 by Gottmer (first published October 6th 2016)

Mathew
A saga set within the five realms where the snow is knee-deep and cold iron is an enemy to all. The Legend of Podkin One-Ear sees Kieran Larwood weave a realm rich in imagined-history where rabbits rule and storytellers are kings. We have here a thumping story bursting at the seams with pace and humour, hardships and fear - a great classroom read aloud as much as it is one to be curled up under your bed’s blankets.....read more here.
Jo
Now, I came across this book at the Waterstones checkout, where, I admittedly already had five books in my hands to purchase. I saw this book on the counter, and I had a little browse while I was waiting. The cashier told me it was the book of the month, and then offered it me HALF PRICE! I mean, come on! A Bibliophile cannot resist that surely!

I had a rabbit as a first pet, when I was about nine, and this book has made me see these creatures in a different light. It's definitely a book to stim
Simon Howard
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new saga begins. Kind of a cross between The Hobbit and Watership Down this book is aimed at children aged around Nine or Ten.......But in my late Fourties I found it to be an engaging read and one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
The story is about a young Rabbit called Podkin whose cosy sheltered life is ripped apart and he finds himself on the run along with his big sister Paz and baby brother Pook, pursued by an implacable foe.
To be honest I found Podkin vaguely annoying at the star
Diana
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discarded-shelf
I have quite conflicting feelings about this book. First of all, when it said it was aboit rabbits, I imagined the real animals, like the "Warriors" series, for instance. But here we have humanoid rabbits, walking on two feet, talking and living in kingdoms being all... human. That was the first and most important down for me in the book. If you want to go with humans, go with humans. Likewise if you want to go with animals. But... this just felt weird. And I have to be honest, it made me regard ...more
Robin Stevens
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Redwall for a new generation, this story of brave young warrior rabbits is well-written, wildly exciting and fascinating. I raced through it in a day and can't wait to read the next in the series. Top marks! 8+

Ben Trevail
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52books2017
It took me a few chapters to really get in to this - possibly because I was only able to snatch a few pages at a time- but I'm glad I stuck with it. This is a rip-roaring adventure - a brilliant class read for Y4 or Y5. I like the structure of a story within a story and the middle section at Boneroot is fantastic.
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, classic and entrancing storytelling. Full of excitement, magic and adventure. Liked the structure too: the story within a story: the shifts in tense and time. For some reason I have never warmed to stories about anthropomorphised rabbits ... until now, that is.
Michael Finocchiaro
This is the first volume of a three-volume series featuring the gruesome Grom wreaking havoc on the Five Realms inhabited by. various tribes of rabbits. Kind of a Hobbit but with rabbits, but still fun reading and with a decent moral message as well. A great book for your tween.
Eva
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(ENGLISH below)
Dit verhaal houdt ergens het midden tussen Watershipdown en Lord of The Rings, en dan voor kinderen van een jaar of 10. Een avontuurlijk, fantasierijk verhaal vol humor, warmte en verlies. Dit boek heb ik blind uit de bibliotheek meegenomen voor mijn dochter. Een gokje. Maar ze vond het geweldig. Zo geweldig dat ik het van haar absoluut moest lezen. En dat heb ik dus gedaan.

Het verhaal gaat over Podkin, de zoon van een stamhoofd, die met zijn oudere zus en jonge
Arkham Reviews
Podkin One-Ear is a fun read for younger reader. It's fast paced and quick to grab the reader's attention. Despite the cast of anthropomorphic rabbits, the story is surprisingly dark in places. While violent scenes (such as the loss of Podkin's ear) are never described graphically, they still could make the novel a bit frightening for sensitive readers. The villains - the Gorm - are also a little scary, though this does make them very memorable.

The general feel of the novel fell some
Kathleen Dixon
This is more Redwall than Watership Down - humans don't exist in this rabbit world. The title and cover, however, led me to think it might be leaning to the Beatrix Potter but with a little more adventure. So I was ambivalent. But when I noticed the book continuing to sit on the shelf of the bookshop, unbought, unrecommended, I decided I'd give it a chance.

Well, it definitely wasn't Beatrix Potter in any guise, and it's a long time since I read the Redwall series but yes I'd put it in a category with
Cat {Wild Night In}
I found this book whilst trawling through Libby for an insomnia-friendly title (not too scary or I'd have nightmares later, not too slow or else I'd get frustrated and wake up more). Podkin One-Ear was an absolutely perfect fit.

There was something very Redwall about the human societies that the rabbits had formed (and about the setting as a whole), but there was something quite unique with the shaggy-dog tangential story, which was very enjoyable. I look forward to future books where we may spend a li
HP Saucerer
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2018
A wildly exciting magical fantasy saga. The story-within-another-story works really well and adds to the sense of a legend being passed down. Wonderful storytelling - a modern classic.
SubjectZero
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only picked this up as was on the Waterstones book of the months list and was looking for something different to read. I was really surprised as usually the standard of books on those lists are OK at best but Podkin was actually one of the best fantasy books I have read.

Yes there is a lot wrong with the book for example Podkin has very little back story and the author borrows almost everything from other media. The Gorm are totally The Borg for example. I was surprised at how dark
Lily
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One winter's night, an old bard is welcomed into a warren, where he proceeds to tell a story of one of the greatest heroes of the Five Realms. But this isn't just any story, this is the truth. And so begins the tale of Podkin, the lazy son of a dead chieftain, chased from his home and into the cold with his siblings and nothing but a magic sword. But the Gorm want him dead too, and to destroy his sword, one of twelve magical gifts given by the ancient Goddess to keep the world in balance. As the ...more
Ashley
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay. okayokayokayokayoakya.
Right so, first of the bat - sexism. Non-redeemable, unneeded sexism.
My girl Paz out here, ready to be chief. She's got weapons skills, leadership skills and a clever head on her shoulders. But this boy out here doing her dirty by calling her bossy and saying she's a sly ass show off, like nah. And then, pouring salt in the wounds - makes her nothing more than a damsel in distress for most of the book.
Podkin, the so called hero of this story -SIGH- m
Samantha
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: msba-nominees
Okay. So maybe my feelings are influenced by this particular time period we are in, but I went into this book thinking it had a great message, because that is what I heard.

The message I got was that it was yet another story about a spoiled male child (even if this one is a "rabbit") who is going to get to be the leader even though he does nothing and his older sister puts in all the work simply by the virtue of his maleness. In 2018, this isn't a story I want to read any more. I'm ti
Stephen Connor
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52books2017
Kieran Larwood has written a classic in under 300 pages: a sprawling, magical fantasy world of rabbits is under attack - chieftains are being killed and warrens ransacked as the Gorm seek to take over all the land. Podkin, along with his sister Paz and little brother Pook, make good their escape, carrying with them Starclaw, one of the Twelve Gifts - which the Gorm are intent on finding. They have to think on their feet, always being wary of where the Gorm might be lurking, as they make their wa ...more
Ellie Labbett
'The Legend of Podkin One-Ear' follows the struggles of a young rabbit and his two siblings who fight for their survival and work against and evil force. The story telling is fantastic, Larwood's writing creates a rich and many layered world, and by telling Podkin's story within another story it adds to the sense of the legend being passed from rabbit to rabbit.
The characters are rather flawed, Podkin himself is a bit of an antihero, someone who would never be ready for a weight of respons
Issy Britton
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars, an absolutely brilliant debut novel which I'm hoping becomes a hit with the children fortunate enough to read this when they are young.

It is atmospheric, fast-paced, funny, touching and even a little bit scary in parts (but good scary!). It has the perfect amounts of character development, action and humour to tell a wonderful story (with a lovely ending), however the slightly slow start knocked off a half-star. The rest of the book does make up for the clumsy beginning though, I can
Paula
One Bramblemas Eve (on a Midwinter's night) a traveling bard rabbit is welcomed into a warren to exchange warm food and drink for a fantastic tale-the story of Podkin One-Ear. Podkin was the son of a chieftain who was slain by the treacherous Gorm (cursed and enchanted metallic rabbits on a quest to rule the kingdom). Podkin and his siblings (Paz and Pook) are able to flee-leaving their mother and aunt behind. But survival isn't easy for young rabbits-luckily they have a secret weapon and make s ...more
Joanne
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish.
Could not finish.

I've read several kids books for the purpose of bookselling, and the majority of the time I actually quite enjoy them.

I didn't enjoy this. I found it to be poorly written with comparisons that just didn't work... aka. when he ate his food quickly, "like a starved Rabbit..." - HE IS A RABBIT. If it's supposed to be ironic, it just didn't come across that way, and the same phrase was used twice within the first half of the book, so any effec
Heather Gunnell
I have so much love for this story. I flew through it in just 2 days, and I cannot wait to read the next book. Child me would have been over the moon for this book. If you like fantasy and animal stories, you definitely need to check this one out.
Avid
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cracking little read, read it across a day. Fast-paced and thoroughly enjoyable. Love the Fox Paw game. Now desperate for more adventure.
Lorraine
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great adventure. Really enjoyed it.
Lady R
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this to my eldest - such a beautiful book with so many (subtle) great life lessons in it whilst also being an amazing page turner.
Beautiful illustrations too. We have already ordered the next one!
Jo
This was adorable and horrifying in pretty much equal measure, and I can see it going down a storm with its target audience. Definitely would've loved this as a kid.
Laura D
Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit with rabbits is a winning combination! The Gorm immediately reminded me of the ringwraiths, rabbits corrupted by the power of iron. The Gorm riding iron riddled rats sounded so much like the Warg Riders.
Podkin's journey seemed like a combination of Bilbo's and Frodo's journeys with the fellowship forming with the addition of subsequent rabbits.
Being a massive Lord of the Rings fan and a rabbit lover this was a winning combination and a great easy read for childre
Suzanne Dix
Basically Watership Down meets Harry Potter. Not for me but it was an easy read for kids who don't love to read.
Tammy
For students who love Lord of the Rings movies, but are not able to read the books yet, introduce them to The Five Realms. A fantasy story about some kind-hearted rabbits who fight to save their world.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sky Song
  • There May Be a Castle
  • The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery (A Train to impossible places, #1)
  • Brightstorm (Sky-Ship Adventure, #1)
  • Secrets of a Sun King
  • Sea (The Huntress Trilogy #1)
  • Beetle Boy (The Battle of the Beetles #1)
  • Running on the Roof of the World
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • Hyacinth and the Secrets Beneath
  • The Bookshop Girl
  • Sled Dog School
  • Strongheart: Wonder Dog of the Silver Screen
  • Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • Dragons and Marshmallows (Zoey and Sassafras, #1)
  • The Door Before (100 Cupboards #0)
  • Gertie Milk and the Keeper of Lost Things (Gertie Milk, #1)
Kieran Larwood is the author of Freaks, and was the winner of the Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition 2011.
Kieran is one of only two male Reception class teachers on the Isle of Wight.
His days mainly consist of singing nursery rhymes, tying shoelaces, trying to locate who has had an ‘accident’ by sense of smell alone, and vast, endless mountains of paperwork.
Kieran grad

The Five Realms (3 books)
  • The Gift of Dark Hollow (The Five Realms #2)
  • The Beasts of Grimheart (The Five Realms #3)
“Stories belong to the teller,’ says the bard. ‘At least half of them do. The other part belongs to the listeners. When a good story is told to a good listener, the pair of them own it together.” 0 likes
“Stories belong to the teller,” says the bard. “At least half of them do. The other part belongs to the listeners. When a good story is told to a good listener, the pair of them own it together.” 0 likes