Start by marking “The Light Over Broken Tide” as Want to Read:
The Light Over Broken Tide

The Light Over Broken Tide

Out of the blue, Rebecca Stafford’s Father arrives to parent her after years of absence. He then extracts her last bit of normalcy by moving them to Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. The shocking news plunges Rebecca into a despair that brings about an otherworldly encounter; she begins to have visions of her deceased Mom.
Uncertain whether what she sees is reality or the produ
Published March 20th 2018 by Blackladder Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Light Over Broken Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light Over Broken Tide

Start your review of The Light Over Broken Tide
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I've been well aware of Holly Ducarte's talents just from watching her Instagram page. She's a beautiful poet, a talented singer and now she has graced us with her debut novel, The Light Over Broken Tide. Is there nothing that Holly can't do?

The opening lines draw you right in. "We're all like paper dolls. Happiest when linked to another, often unaware of our flimsiness. So easily torn. What happens when we reach out to find there's no one there to hold our hand? I'll tell you what h
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I met Holly through Instagram and we became fast friends. Holly is a poet. I read her collection, HIDING BONES when it made its debut and I enjoyed Holly's voice immediately (even though poetry is not really my thing)
THE LIGHT OVER BROKEN TIDE (what a beautiful title) is not a book I would have picked up on my own. Being a horror lover, a reader of thrillers and dark, dark fantasies--a moody, YA story wouldn't be high on my TBR--and to be honest, after Holly sent it to me, it did sit aroun
Janelle | She Reads with Cats
Thank you so much to the author for my ecopy of THE LIGHT OVER BROKEN TIDE by Holly Ducarte - all opinions are my own.

An Irish legend, a hidden lighthouse, magic, and mystery are exactly the reasons why this book caught my attention! Then I read it and fell in love. The story centers around Rebecca, who after devastating news of her mom’s death, falls deep into melancholy. Her father, after years of abandonment, comes back to be a parent and moves them to a coastal town. She starts t
Sarina Langer
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know it's going to be a good year when it's only January but you already have a new favourite author <3 I usually give new authors at least two books before deciding whether they're worthy of my insta-buy list or not, but Ducarte did it in one. If you're thinking about self-publishing your debut novel this year, read this novel because this girl rocked it!

I love a main character I can connect with on a deep personal level, and Becky was that. I saw myself in her so much in so
Beverley Lee
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

I always worry a little bit when I have a debut novel to review, because I'm fully aware that this is a writer at the start of their careers, and what happens if I don't like it?

But Holly DuCarte set my mind at rest and delivers a debut novel that does not read like a debut. Her grasp of language is strong, her ties to the setting so much a part of this story, as stable as the Canadian landscape.

This book deals with difficult subjects - mental illnes
JamesFahyAuthor
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To say that I was cautious going into this read would be an understatement. Not because I feared it might not be good, but more because it's something well outside of my usual go-to genres, not the kind of subject matter I would automaticaly gravitate towards, and I feared doing it a disservice if i didnt love it just because it wasnt 'my thing' (so to speak.)

But any initial worries I had soon fell aside, and what I found instead in this story was a tale of mental struggle, an artful
Mel V
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“We’re all like paper dolls. Happiest when linked to another, often unaware of our flimsiness. So easily torn. What happens when we reach out to find there’s no one there to hold our hand.”
That’s the opening paragraph in Holly’s book. And it moved me to read the first six chapters in one sitting. I would’ve kept going—it’s that good—if I could have. When next I picked the book up, it was bedtime and I thought to read a few more chapters, but I was so engrossed in the story and just
Luke Narlee
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The main character, Rebecca, felt like a real person to me throughout the whole story. A real person that I wanted to hug and talk to and help and give advice to when she needed it. My heart broke for her many times, and when she falls in love, I felt in love as well. It's that kind of book. It has a perfect balance of romance, humor, sadness, drama, and mystery. A little bit of everything! Also, it's so well written that it's hard to believe this is a debut novel. Author Holl ...more
Suzanne Wood
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awestruck, and a sucker for a fabulous first line in a novel, I had difficulty continuing on from the initial sentences of this debut novel:

"We're all like paper dolls. Happiest when linked to another, often unaware of our flimsiness. So easily torn. What happens when we reach out to find there's no one there to hold our hand? I'll tell you what happens; we blow away into uncertain air, then desperately search for anything to pull us out of the chaos."

I was blown away by
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
Ok, I am officially a Holly Ducarte fangirl. I already knew that this girl could write - she frequently posts snippets of poetry on Instagram and it's stunning. Holly's first novel embodies the same raw beauty as her poetry and I was captivated for the duration. The opening imagery of paper dolls hooked me straight in and I felt gripped until the very end of the book.

I loved the small-town Canadian setting of the book and thought that Ducarte used pathetic fallacy perfectly to enhance her story
Ellen Read
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Young love, an Irish legend, a hidden lighthouse and Peter Pan - I was hooked before I started reading.

This is also a story of mental illness, an otherworldly encounter, loss and grief. Holly Ducarte handles these difficult themes with great sensitivity.

‘We’re all like paper dolls. Happiest when linked to another, often unaware of our flimsiness. So easily torn. What happens when we reach out to find there's no one there to hold our hand?’
These are the opening lines of the sto
Holly Ducarte
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-works
This novel was a true labour of love for me. It took me years to get it to the point it's at in between a full-time career and then motherhood. I miss being in Lunenburg with the characters that have become such a big part of my heart. I prompt you to take a chance on this book and fall into the mysteries of an old Irish legend and a troubled girl on a journey to find out who she is with the help of an eccentric boy you might find resembles a certain character from Never Never Land. My hope is t ...more
Ian Coomber
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Although I'm fairly new to YA fiction as an adult reader, and even newer to tales of love and loss, this was a book that still had me hooked. As a character Rebecca is so well written and defined, and as a narrator she tells the story perfectly from her own unique, if somewhat naive, perspective. Her feelings towards others are never in question, but are written in such a way that will always leave you wondering who she should believe, and who really has her best interests at heart.
Melissa Grantham
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had been on my radar for a while, and I’m so glad I finally got to read it. Ducarte does an incredible job of weaving fantasy into a very real story of the struggles of grief, depression, and anxiety. Once I got halfway through, I couldn’t put it down, finishing the remainder in one sitting. The way Ducarte adds her flavor of prose into the text is magnificent. A beautiful, beautiful story
Jill
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not going to lie...this book contains a lot of themes that hooked me even before I started reading it. Young romance, potential mental illness, adventure, drama, loss, and a wonderful backdrop of the east coast of Canada. With the high hopes of all of those things, I could have easily been disappointed or let down, but Holly Ducarte did not disappoint at all.

Once I started reading this book, I could not put it down...and when I had to, I could not wait to go back to it. I became invested i
Debbie Waskiewich
This intriguing debut novel was a real page-turner! Dealing with loss, grief, despair, mental illness, and yes, even love, made Rebecca, the main character, someone who was very relatable. Setting descriptions were extremely vivid; I felt like I was in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, even though I have never physically been there. If you enjoy reading about troubled souls, then you will devour this book!
Charles Edwards-Freshwater
May 25, 2018
Mary Deacon
May 29, 2018
May 29, 2018

• Some Hope (Patrick Melrose, #3)
  • The Ghosts of Sundown
  • Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film
Holly is a creative writer and award-winning poet from Canada. The Light Over Broken Tide is her debut novel.

Holly’s writing has been showcased in magazines, newspapers, various online sites, and highly praised over Wattpad.

Holly took an extensive commercial novel writing course, and is a member of The Underground Writing Cohorts. A local, exclusive club of authors.

Aside from penning
“I feel a little like Wendy Darling. Peering out my window, hoping to be swept off by magic.” 4 likes
“The cage of your pain is wide open. It’s time to fly free.” 2 likes