Start by marking “The Remaking of Corbin Wale” as Want to Read:
The Remaking of Corbin Wale

The Remaking of Corbin Wale

A 2017 Riptide Holiday Charity Novel

Last month, Alex Barrow’s whole life imploded—partner, home, job, all gone in forty-eight hours. But sometimes when everything falls apart, better things appear almost like magic. Now, he’s back in his Michigan hometown, finally opening the bakery he’s always dreamed of. But the pleasure of opening day is nothing compared to the lonely a
Paperback, 1st edition, 237 pages
Published November 27th 2017 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Remaking of Corbin Wale, please sign up.
Lila Reads Yes, this has been recorded as an audio book, narrated by Chris Chambers.

Start your review of The Remaking of Corbin Wale
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

It's impossible to review The Remaking of Corbin Wale without quoting the story. The language transcends the plot; it's lyrical and truthful.

He saw the monsters that love and longing could make, and they all had human faces.

This book has a magical, ethereal quality.

Cinnamon sugar, wolfdogs, curses, witches . . .

Alex moves back to the town where he grew up and opens a bakery; it's called And Son, because it used to be his parents but now it's his. When Corbin Wale first appear
Judith
4.5 Stars.

The Remaking of Corbin Wale is an unique story.I've read a few books by this Author and enjoyed them-but,this is something completely different.The writing is special,and,captivating,the story has a wonderful,almost,magical feel about it.

Alex Barrow has returned to his home town after his life in New York imploded in a matter of days.When his mother asks him to take over the running of the family cafe he sees his dream and sets about turning it into a Bakery.On opening day he catches s
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

Lovely, just lovely. With a mix of magical realism and atmospheric romance, the story simply sang.

For those readers who are fans of Sarah Addison Allen, this book feels very similar in style, if a bit darker (perhaps a bit of Alice Hoffman mixed in). I didn't quite know what to expect going into it, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

The Remaking of Corbin Wale has garnered quite a bit of hype, and I couldn't pass up the chance to see if it stood up to the rave reviews. It really w
Shile
5++++++ Corbin stars

The fire crackled and Stick wheezed peacefully in sleep. The wind outside rustled dry leaves and the air inside smelled of pine and dried sage and tomato from his dinner. He was warm and comfortable, and he lost himself in the world that unfolded in his sketchbook.

- This book is magical.

-The chemistry was so on point, the sex so damn hot!

- The slow burn was fun to read.

-Corbin is the best MC ever.

-The writing is stellar and poetic without going overboard.

-One of the best
Renée
~4.5 stars!~

Love was a curse. No love was a curse.
Solitude was a cure. Solitude was a torment.
Distance was safety. Distance was crushing.

Every once in a while, I'll come across a story that's special. Unique. Unlike anything I've ever read that reaches inside me and truly resonates with my brain and leaves goosebumps on my heart. It happened with Winter Oranges. It happened with In The Absence Of Light.

And it happened here.

I just don't know that I can articulate why this book pushed
Shin Mon Thway
Okay, I can see why this book was such a fan favorite among my fellow reviewers. 😊 Wow! Just wow! 😱 What a beautiful and profound book it is! 💜 The remaking of Corbin Wale is such a lyrical and poetic book that took my breath away. 🥰 I don’t even know how to describe this book. 😅

Alex’s life changed 180 degree in the span of 48 hours. 2 days ago, he had a boyfriend, a prestigious job as a pastry chef and a comfortable life. Now he’s back in his small hometown in Michigan finally taking over his p
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***5 Stars***

“Because love doesn’t live in kisses and flowers and first dates. It lives in your mind, in your heart.”

I LOVED THIS BOOK!! I want to propose marriage to this book. I want this book to move in with me and share in a 30 year fixed mortgage. I want this book to meet my mom.

“You remake the world a hundred times a day.”

How can I come up with words to describe the pure magic and beauty that is this book?! This book owned every part of me while reading. Every word
Jewel
4.5 Stars

"You remake the world a hundred times a day.

The Remaking of Corbin Wale is a story made of magic. It's roots steeped in metaphor and fashioned and baked with love. I savored every delicious word.

Corbin Wale is cursed, or so he believes, anyway. Everyone treats him like he's a freak and Corbin believes they're right. Corbin has led such a solitary life, it just broke me. He believes that he can't get close to anyone. That everything he touches is tainted. Wrong. But Corbin ha
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio – 4.5 stars
Story – 5 stars

Yes!! This was one of the most beautiful and magical holiday stories I’ve read.

Corbin stole my heart, and I couldn't help but adore the heck out of him. He definitely gets the love, but so does Alex for being the patient and protective man Corbin needed. He accepted Corbin's uniqueness and loved him for it. I loved these two together!!

Now is there going to be a story for Gareth and Orin??? There’s as story there, and I’m ready for it!
Christelle
Well, that’s different from the “Middle of Somewhere” series and I really enjoyed it.

After a twist in life, Alex came back to his Mom’s house and opened a bakery. That’s where he met a special customer : Corbin. Corbin lives alone, creating fantasies in his mind to deal with the world and he’s afraid to love. But the pull between Alex and Corbin is like a fate and both can see how beautiful the other is in his own way.

It’s a slow burn, quiet, evocative and romantic where loneliness is being burn
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

This just wasn't my type of book.

It wasn't bad. But I found it a bit slow. And a bit odd.

But I liked Gareth. I would read about him and Orin.

And the writing was good. It just wasn't my style. I got bored.
Moony Eliver
Feel free to move along, y'all. The only thing to see here is that I’m pretty sure I’ve lost all propriety and reason when it comes to Roan Parrish's glorious creations. That, and I’ll be spending 2 days with this book every December until the end of time.

I’m finding myself in an unusual position, because I’m sitting here with zero desire to dissect this magically delicious book or the enchanting characters in it. I just want to bask in the blissful feelings (and completely dilated pupils) that
Jennifer☠Pher☠
I really had no idea. I think this is one of the first Holiday books that came across my feed and the author and the cover just drew me in.

Without even knowing anything I seemed to have saved the best for last. Well, not last, but we are surely running out of time, yes?

I had no idea what I was getting into with this one.

This book was pure magic.

No really, it was.

I never in a million years would have thought that I'd be adding a Holiday read to my favorites of the year but there is no other pla
Trio
Roan Parrish brings her A-game with The Remaking of Corbin Wale. An absolutely stunning novel, the prose is fluid and expressive, the characters are complex, and a positive message of hope is woven throughout. This one is so magical it gave me tingles and I was wishing it would never end.

Everything in Alex’s life has fallen apart so he moves back to his hometown to open his dream bakery and hopefully get a fresh start. From the moment Corbin steps into his shop all Alex can think about is seeing
Susan
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a magical story.

Alex Barrow moves back to his hometown after he loses his job and breaks up with his boyfriend. He reopens his mother’s coffee shop and turns it into a bakery.

Alex notices that a young man comes in regularly to just sit and draw. Alex finds out that this man is Corbin Wale, and Alex vaguely remembers him from high school.

There is a dreamy quality about Corbin that makes him different from other people. Alex remembers how much Corbin got picked on in high school for being d
Ele
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
-4.5 stars-
"I’ve never felt that about anyone before. It’s like a place inside him is screaming my name, and I just want to answer it with everything."

Magical, whimsical, etheral, unworldly and deeply romantic, The Remaking of Corbin Wale is unlike anything you 've ever read.

This is a story about so many things, but most of all it's about remaking and reinventing yourself. Everyone in this book gets a second chance! Even the secondary characters.

Corbin Wale...you 'll stay with me for ever. H
Annery
Color me seduced, swayed, and surprised by Roan Parrish's dreamy, story. Why surprised? Because I thought I was way over magical realism, whimsy, and faery tales, and here I am, utterly invested in the fate an almost elfin-like woodland creature. Okay. I exaggerate. But that is the vibe.

Corbin Wale is a highly sensitive and artistic man, who from childhood was dealt shitty cards. He was raised by relatives who, though well intentioned, didn't give him the tools to live in the world, which in tur
Elena

Ignore me for a minute, this will be a dissenting opinion and I’m only writing it down as a future reminder for myself.

It wasn’t the weirdness or the flowery writing that didn’t work, I actually liked those, with some exceptions ((view spoiler)).
What sank this book for me was that I couldn’t feel the MCs and their relationshi
Diana
4.5 Strawberry Stars

I can count on one hand, the books that I have read over many years that have stuck with me. A few a more recent, while others are from my childhood. This book, I can definitely say, will stick with me for a long time.

Alex Barrow just returned to his hometown in Michigan, after living several years as a sous chef in New York City. His mother turns over the family coffee house to him, and he happily turns it into his life dream, his very own bakery. On opening day, he is drawn
Josy
Look what I got!! The lovely Jewel sent me an early Christmas present!! Thank you, Jewel <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ 4.5 stars ~

This is a beautifully written, captivating book with an almost dreamlike quality to it. Told from both MC's POVs it struck me how well the writing and the choice of words reflected both characters who see and experience the world very differently. I'm sure that's the case in many books but for some reason, I really noticed it while reading this book.

Th
Christine
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, sweet-romance
Poetry in motion!!! This was pure magic. Absolutely delicious 🤗. I’m so glad I squeezed it into my 2018 reads.
I smiled until my jaw hurt while reading this book.

I can’t think clearly enough to do a proper review right now but this book gave me the feels. I’ve got 25 hours to read one more book before doing my 2018 roundup.
This one is definitely making the cut.
I’ve got to chose the next book wisely 🤔
Ariana
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful.
In so many ways.

Alex and Corbin are both amazing characters.
Alex for his big heart, his compassion and understanding and incredible patience with Corbin.
Corbin for showing us the workings of an amazing and unusual mind and how special love can be. I also silently wept at how he came to be who he is. At his vast loneliness. At the low expectations he has from people and life. At his isolation from the real world.

The intricate link between food and love and magic
Cooking an
.Lili.
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The Remaking of Corbin Wale by Roan Parrish drew me in from the first page. There was a quiet, poetic, magical feel to the story. I took my time reading it; never wanting it to end.

It's the story of two men who need each other. One man has recently moved back home, and the other is the town's pariah. Alex and Corbin are instantly drawn to one another- like kismet. Little by little, they get to know each other and what ensues is a beautifully written slow burn romance.

Some highlights:

-Th
River
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, m-m
5 magical stars.

I think there's no other word to describe this book but magic, no, it's not fantasy but Corbin's mind it's such a magical place that it feels that way.

Alex and Corbin's story is just so pure. The story is in dual POV, the first part is Alex's and only looking at Corbin from his eyes I knew I was going to love him. Alex was amazing and I loved him, but Corbin stole my heart. The way he sees the world was just beautiful.

I cried, I laughed and it got to the point where I didn't w
Xia Xia
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Reading this book was torture, not because of the story itself but because of work and real life. These two conspired to keep me away from finishing Corbin's book faster and it almost drove me nuts. For 48 hrs I've been stuck in the last 20% where the magic was at its strongest and the book became so hard to put down.

What to say about Corbin? I adore him completely. From the moment he appears on the page you can't help but fall in love with him. He may give you the impression he is the wounde
Chris
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lgbtq
Absolutely stunning - this is one of the most beautiful books I’ve read this year. Corbin was ethereal, such a glorious soul who was trapped in a world of dreams that boarded reality and fantasy. No one really gave him time or tried to understand him and just considered him to be the weird freak who lived with his witchy aunties. Then along comes Alex, who takes over his parents business and uses his baking to bring joy. He is enthralled by Corbin and begins to slowly unpack little parts of him. ...more
Barbara➰
This book was very different and unique. It wasn’t at all what I expected. It had beautiful, sweet prose with an ethereal or almost magical quality to it.

I waffled back and forth as to whether this had a paranormal element or did Corbin suffer from some type of mental illness or condition. I actually think the author left it to each individual’s interpretation. I still haven't made up my mind.

I think there were things that were not explained enough such as how Corbin survived at 15 on his own.
annob

I always love reading a romance where an outsider finds happiness. Both Corbin the oddball and Alex the knight in shining armour were likeable, sweet and endearing. What I did struggle with during the first half of the book was how Alex was described as already deeply in love with Corbin although they hardly had spoken a word at that point. Infatuated from a distance I could understand, but consider someone you haven't even talked to the love of your life? I wasn't able to feel the conn
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
This book was amazing. I’m now questioning what made me take so long to read this.
⚣Michaelle⚣
Audio Review:

I'm not going to change the rating but for some reason I didn't enjoy the audio version of this book as much as I thought I would. Usually, when that happens, it's because I'm not fond of the narration choices for style or sound...and that's not necessarily the case here. The narrator did a good job...but maybe I was expecting something different, something that fit better with the magical realism aspect of the story? IDK, but whatever it is...I think it's me. So, yeah, no change (

• Heart of the Steal
  • On Davis Row
  • Gemini Keeps Capricorn (Signs of Love, #3)
  • Deal Maker (Mixed Messages, #2)
  • Spring Strings
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Galaxies and Oceans
  • Cancer Ships Aquarius (Signs of Love, #5)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Finders Keepers
  • Honeymoon for One
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Desperately Seeking Santa
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Two Man Station (Emergency Services, #1)
  • Work for It (Just for Him, #4)
Roan Parrish lives in Philadelphia, where she is gradually attempting to write love stories in every genre.

When not writing, she can usually be found cutting her friends’ hair, meandering through whatever city she’s in while listening to torch songs and melodic death metal, or cooking overly elaborate meals. She loves bonfires, winter beaches, minor chord harmonies, and self-tattooing. One time sh

News & Interviews

“He had sunk into his love for Corbin with the inevitability of gravity. At unexpected moments, he would see Corbin and be caught breathless at the insistence of his need. When Corbin reached for him, he felt that need like magnets finding their way close enough to snap together.” 1 likes
“The problem is that even if you don't touch, even if you keep things back ... the feelings are still there. Because love doesn't live in kisses and flowers and first dates. It lives in your mind, in your heart.” 1 likes