Start by marking “பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - புது வெள்ளம்” as Want to Read:

பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - புது வெள்ளம்

(பொன்னியின் செல்வன் #1)

Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan Series published by Kumaran Publishers
Paperback, First Edition, 384 pages
Published December 2008 by Kumaran Publishers (first published 1950)

Aravindh Kumar Look at his website. Project Madurai is a not-for-profit project collaborative for digitizing Tamil literary works.

…more

Vishnu Chevli
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, ebooks
Last year I read "Gujarat No Nath" and "Rajadhiraj" by K M Munshi. I loved those books. Since I read those books I added historical fictions to my favorite book genre. Books like Ponnis Beloved reminded me Munshi's books. I just read the first part of five volumes and Sumeetha I am not sure whether I can wait for your next translations. I am already keeping watch on the price of the complete set.

Ponni's Beloved is the story of Chola Dynasty during Sundar Chola and his sons time. Though the main
Whitaker
I started learning Tamil several years ago and the question that I was invariably asked was, “Why do you want to learn Tamil? What is your goal?” Well, I had to come up with something, so I said, “I want to read Ponniyin Selvan.” I have still not read it in Tamil (and I may never get there!) but thanks to the efforts of C.V. Karthik Narayan I have been able to read this in English. This truly was a labour of love for this man. This guy is an engineer with a day job, not a professional translator ...more
Surya Nagarajan
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the elders in home told "we would read this all night. It's super good" I scoffed and said yeah sure.
Fast forward ten years I found myself up till sunrise, reading up on the schemes of Nandhini and bravado of Vandhiyathevan. Yes, the tamil is difficult to being with, but it's definitely worth it. As someone who is homesick, reading about Tanjore, where one half of my family is from, with vivid descriptions about the culture and people was pure bliss.
Girish
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
When you start a classic, you are silently praying you are not disappointed. If it is the first part of 5 part series, then it becomes tougher since it may be more of context than content.

Here is a book that checks all the boxes and managed to make me steal pages over coffee breaks! Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan part 1 is a smooth and engaging read that almost inspired me to write this review in influenced tamil prose!

Part 1 of this historical fiction introduces the characters and reveals strands of
Dhivya Balaji
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FIRST IMPRESSION:

The original Ponniyin Selvan by Kalki Krishnamurthy is a legendary piece of literature, (of course it was. It inspired this translation and some more like it). I have seen the set of 5 volumes, huge books that have adorned the shelves of many bookworms I knew, especially those from the previous generation. The books were treasured possessively and guarded with care. They were often perused in parts, with people seeking their favorite quotes or lines or events from the book. So f
Balaji Sriraman
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Words fail when I try to think about this reading experience. I started taking notes then stopped because there were just too many note worthy! Eager to start part 2.
Geeta Nair
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A legendary piece of literature, ‘Ponni’s Beloved’ is Part One of five parts of the English translation of Kalki Krishnamurthy’s Tamil Classic ‘Ponniyin Selvan.’ It has as its protagonist Vandiya Devan a young soldier who belongs to the brave warrior race of Vanars. He is on a secret mission for the Crown Prince of the Chola Kingdom. What follows is an adventurous journey through the realms of the Chola Kingdom. Spiced with bits of gossip, fun- frolic and subtle romance, the story is actually th ...more
Uttara Srinivasan
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally appearing in popular Tamil literature over a period of four years in the early fifties, Ponniyin Selvan: Fresh Floods is Part One of a Five book series that documents the early life of Rajaraja Chola (Chozha, as Kalki helps us pronounce correctly) - one of the greatest emperors of the Chozha dynasty of the South that rarely finds it's rightful presence in history syllabi of the school years. That Kalki chooses to set it through the journey of Vandhiyathevan, a warrior / messenger / qu ...more
Rathi
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a grand beginning! The first book of Ponniyin Selvan introduces Vanthiyathevan, Princess Kunthavai and Pazhuvoor Ilayarani Nandini. I cannot think of another book that gives so much importance to the women characters. In fact, in this book it is the women who are central to the plot. All the men are only supporting characters.
Characters behave in the most natural manner possible, i.e., they reveal their true intentions to anybody who poses a direct question. Poonkuzhali and Arulmozhivarman
Inderpreet Uppal
Ponni’s Beloved is a labour of love - a translation of the Tamil classic Ponniyin Selvan. When Sumeetha asked me to edit and proofread her manuscript, I was astounded at her dedication, attention to detail and perseverance for the translation.

She is very thorough in her writing, ensuring to keep the tone and era of the book intact. The language and words used reflect the historical period the original novel followed. It transports the reader back to the royal era of the Chola Kings and the opule
Lata
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2017
A book full of characters, politics, spying, love, betrayal and friendships. The book is fast-paced and full of drama, a story that keeps you engrossed. This is the first book in a 5 part series. The book does not feel like a translated read. It is easy to read and smooth. Before reading this book, I had not heard of the original Tamil version. I still enjoyed reading the book and waiting with bated breath for the next ones. The only difficult thing I found was in the tongue twisting Tamil names ...more
Amar Naik
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proudly i can say that Ponni’s Beloved by author (Sumeetha Manikandan) is a book which reminded me of my grandmas story. Sweet memories which are cherishable.

Though this book is a translation of a famous masterpiece that has enthralled generations of Tamil readers, the readers for sure will get lost in the majestic rich heritage of chola kingdom. While the book has lot of political angles, many different plots in the story are nicely intermingled and described.

The author has made good attempt to
Aparna
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Pooni’s Beloved is an English translation of well-known Tamil author Kalki R Krishnanmurthy’s Pooniyin Selvan. The English translation is done by Sumeetha Manikandan.

Though I haven’t read the original work or any of Sumeetha’s previous works, still I must say this is the best translated work I have ever read. Even if it's in English, it has still retained the Tamil essence in it. Appropriate translation and significance of a festival or place or a person; is an added advantage for people who a
Reshma Ranjan
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful read: Ponni's Beloved
From the word go the story pans through the period of tenth century AD taking the reader through the time without a drop. The politics, the intrigue never seems to fade. Thankful to Sumeetha Manikandan for giving the translation of one of the most celebrated Tamil works “Ponniyin Selvan” for a non-Tamil reader. The book leaves the era etched into the reader's mind. I am eagerly looking forward to picking the next of coming volumes.
Versha
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
For a long time I was searching for a big series book to read and when I saw the translated version of this famous book which is also a famous play and had also heard good things about it, it made me more curious, so I bought a copy immediately I don’t know whether this is a fantasy or historical fiction anyway I ended up starting the series. The moment I started this book I was glued to it. This book definitely took me to another world altogether and I must say the translator has done an excell ...more
Madhupria
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kalki has the power to completely transport you to a time and a place that is far away. The way he describes the locations, the surroundings and the characters whisks you away to another world. The First Floods has set up a platform for what promises to be an epic tale, and I can't wait to start the next volume.
Nitish Krishna
Probably the most celebrated Tamil Historical Fiction series ever. Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan, put very simply, is the story of the Chozha empire in its heyday and the characters (real and fictional, high-born and low) that inhabit this fascinating time in Indian history. Although I read a translation, I got a very good sense of the reading sensibilities of the 1950s Tamil public. This book which was serialized in a magazine was a huge craze and its not hard to see why. The story portrays the Golde ...more
Mayuri Nidigallu
To begin with I hadn’t heard of the legendary Ponniyin Selvan by Kalki Krishnamurthy, till I married into the South Indian Community. Since then I have seen people go into raptures as they talk reverently about this great book. The curiosity to read was thus aroused and when Author Sumeetha Manikandan’s English translation came up for a read and review through The Book Club, I instantly filled out the form and looked forward to my copy.

Ponni’s Beloved is part 1 of Part 4, an appetizer to another
Mahathi Ramya
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It's been a long time since i read a lengthy novel above 300 pages. This novel is interesting throughout even though it is lengthy. 'Ponniyan selvan' which is the original of this translated work is already a popular novel in Tamilnadu. All my Tamil friends re-iterated the same. So, my expectations were really high before even i started reading it.

The story is set in the era of Cholan ruler Sundara chola and it is all about the politics in the kingdom, the beauty of the place , its culture and p
Arvind
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is fast-paced adventure set in 10th century AD Tamil Nadu. The book was written in 1950 and the writing style reminded me a lot of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island.
Also, since this is the first volume of 5, most of it has been used in setting up the story, introducing characters. There are some great twists too.
Sivaraman S
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first tamil novel (translated),. Set in India, thousand years back during the Chola reign. Excellent !
Saravana Sastha Kumar
One of the greatest classics from Kalki. loved every page. While I read it in Tamil, for people not familiar with Tamil it is highly recommended to read the English translation of the book.
Abdul Kareem
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rereading this book is like reliving a life with full of adventures. I don't hesitate to say that this is the BEST BOOK(including all the books in this series) I've ever read in my life!
Virat hooda
True Wonderer
Its the late 10th century, our hero 'Vandiyathevan', a dashing warrior of the prestigious Vaanar clan has been given an important mission by his leader and dear friend the crown prince of the great Chola empire, Aditya Karikalan. And so, our hero departs from Kanchi towards the capital Thanjavur on his adventurous journey through the Chola empire.

The story Kalki weaves is marvelous and as I have just started (one of five), I eagerly look forward to the others. An epic is not an ep
Rubina
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
During the times when treason was a part of life and spies were roaming the streets of India, Ponni's Beloved is set during those times. A time when the Chola dynasty was at their zenith.

The story is introduced to the readers by a brave, young man, who is a great fighter too, and a messenger of Aditya Chola (forgive me if I got my history wrong). Aditya Chola, heir to the throne was suspecting a conspiracy and had sent Vandiya Devan to warn the King. In his journey, Vandiya Devan meets the diffe
Amith Ghosh
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a novel that the people loving historical fiction or anything related to mythology couldn't dare to miss.....
I had to take a moment to believe the novel was actually written in 1950s. my god, the creativity*, the narration*, the characterisation*, the twists and turns of events* etc, everything just awed me......
the story is partly a fiction although based on the real characters...... to be clearly emphasised, the story is an entanglement of different plots, conspiracies, unexpected romantic re
Tejus
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been wanting to read the fabled Ponniyin Selvan but was not able to learn to read Tamil. This book does a wonderful job in translating the classic. The language is simple to understand.
The characters are very well written and the plot gets really intense and intriguing. Few characters like Nandini are so complexly designed that leaves the reader guessing for her motives and her influence.
MADHAVAN DEVANATHAN
This is my first one in my mother tongue. It was a wonderful experience to read the history of the place you belong to.
May be because it narrates the history, it required a lot of patience. I have four more parts to complete the series but no plans to continue and complete for now.!
Ramya
Even translated this whole series of Ponniyan Selvan gets a 4.5 for plot, odd & diverse character development, and a sense of humor throughout! This is a -- in occidental comparison a chivalrous romance novel a la style de Dumas, but is set in the 10-11th century Southern India and has all the components of court/country intrigue, interior heart plots of vengeance and love, and lush scenery -- novel by Kalki a 20th century master of story telling & reformer of identity for Tamil Nadu &am ...more
Raga Vender
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am one of the lazy kinds that doesn't take the time to rate or review stuff online. However, ponniyin selvan, being what it is made me start typing. There is a special place for this book in everyone's heart after they finish reading it. Though I read the translated version in English and though it's clear that it loses much of its original class it's hard to put this book down once you start. The plot is so awesome it's unimaginable how the great kalki interweaves authentic history with liter ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• வாடிவாசல் [Vaadivaasal]
  • Abitha
  • மீண்டும் ஜீனோ  [Meendum Jeeno]
  • குருதிப்புனல் [Kuruthi Punal]
  • மன்னன் மகள் [Mannan Mahal]
  • 18வது அட்சக்கோடு [18vadhu atchakodu]
  • கோபல்ல கிராமம் (Gopalla Gramam)
  • Seasons of the Palm
  • Teahouse
  • உடையார், #6 [Udayar]
  • மோகமுள்  [Moga Mul]
  • ஊழல் - உளவு - அரசியல் / Oozhal - Ulavu - Arasiyal
Kalki (Tamil: கலகி) was the pen name of R. Krishnamurthy (Tamil: ரா. கிருஷணமூரததி) (September 9, 1899–December 5, 1954), a noted Tamil writer, film & music critic, Indian independence activist and journalist from Tamil Nadu, India. ...more

பொன்னியின் செல்வன் (5 books)
  • பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - சுழற்காற்று
  • பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - கொலை வாள்
  • Ponniyin Selvan - The Crown
  • Ponniyin Selvan - The Pinnacle of Sacrifice, Vol. 1
“Stars! It looks as if you're winking amused at the idiocy of the people on this earth. You have every reason to laugh. You saw the battle that happened a hundred years ago, and the blood that flooded the ground a long time afterwards. You wonder why there should be so much enmity among human beings, so much carnage and bloodshed. And why this should be known as heroism!"
"Even after a man has been dead a hundred years, people continue to hate him. This is an enemy's pallipadai where people gather to torture the living in name of the dead. Stars in the sky! Why wouldn't you laugh! Laugh!”
7 likes
“The mist wishes to have the sun but what does the sun do - it burns so fiercely that the mist disappears.” 2 likes