Start by marking “பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - புது வெள்ளம்” as Want to Read:

பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - புது வெள்ளம்

(பொன்னியின் செல்வன் #1)

Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan Series published by Kumaran Publishers ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 384 pages
Published December 2008 by Kumaran Publishers (first published 1954)

Start your review of பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - புது வெள்ளம்
Vishnu Chevli
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, ebooks
Last year I read "Gujarat No Nath" and "Rajadhiraj" by K M Munshi. I loved those books. Since I read those books I added historical fictions to my favorite book genre. Books like Ponnis Beloved reminded me Munshi's books. I just read the first part of five volumes and Sumeetha I am not sure whether I can wait for your next translations. I am already keeping watch on the price of the complete set.

Ponni's Beloved is the story of Chola Dynasty during Sundar Chola and his sons time. Though the main
Whitaker
I started learning Tamil several years ago and the question that I was invariably asked was, “Why do you want to learn Tamil? What is your goal?” Well, I had to come up with something, so I said, “I want to read Ponniyin Selvan.” I have still not read it in Tamil (and I may never get there!) but thanks to the efforts of C.V. Karthik Narayan I have been able to read this in English. This truly was a labour of love for this man. This guy is an engineer with a day job, not a professional translator ...more
Girish
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
When you start a classic, you are silently praying you are not disappointed. If it is the first part of 5 part series, then it becomes tougher since it may be more of context than content.

Here is a book that checks all the boxes and managed to make me steal pages over coffee breaks! Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan part 1 is a smooth and engaging read that almost inspired me to write this review in influenced tamil prose!

Part 1 of this historical fiction introduces the characters and reveals strands of
Magesh Krishnan
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite historical fiction by far.
The vivid and beautiful sceneries kick start the novel with our hero vanthiyadevan entering into the chola kingdom. Most of the characters of this novel has a purpose and are driven to achieve its goals which makes the novel more and more engaging.
Kalki's rich language, smart writing and small hooks which made me turn each page faster than the previous one was simply outstanding and very rewarding.
The engagement with this novel got even better when
Surya Nagarajan
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the elders in home told "we would read this all night. It's super good" I scoffed and said yeah sure.
Fast forward ten years I found myself up till sunrise, reading up on the schemes of Nandhini and bravado of Vandhiyathevan. Yes, the tamil is difficult to being with, but it's definitely worth it. As someone who is homesick, reading about Tanjore, where one half of my family is from, with vivid descriptions about the culture and people was pure bliss.
Versha
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2017
For a long time I was searching for a big series book to read and when I saw the translated version of this famous book which is also a famous play and had also heard good things about it, it made me more curious, so I bought a copy immediately I don’t know whether this is a fantasy or historical fiction anyway I ended up starting the series. The moment I started this book I was glued to it. This book definitely took me to another world altogether and I must say the translator has done an excell ...more
Swati
Apr 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: smitha
My rating is 4.8 stars, only due to the typos and errors.

Ponniyin Selvan, Parthiban Kanavu, and Silappadikaram are three of the most illustrious and well-known historical Tamil epics. All of them have been on my TBR for a long time but it’s only now that I gathered the courage to get started on one of these tomes.

That said, I don’t know how to even begin reviewing a book that’s just the first of five books! It’s as expansive as Proust’s Remembrance of Things Past and as thrilling as reading a W
Dhivya Balaji
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FIRST IMPRESSION:

The original Ponniyin Selvan by Kalki Krishnamurthy is a legendary piece of literature, (of course it was. It inspired this translation and some more like it). I have seen the set of 5 volumes, huge books that have adorned the shelves of many bookworms I knew, especially those from the previous generation. The books were treasured possessively and guarded with care. They were often perused in parts, with people seeking their favorite quotes or lines or events from the book. So f
AB
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Rating: 5/5

It was a great read!
It was definitely very hard to read the book in Tamil even though it is my mother tongue because my Tamil is very rusty and I have never read a Tamil book. But it was all worth it! I enjoyed every word of this book (even though I have to call my mom or my grandma to find out what some of the words means). I think everyone should read this book (There are many English translated versions available, I don't know about their quality though).

The characters were ex
Raghu
Looks like Goodreads has consolidated multiple versions of the translation under a single banner (much like the Cholas did with various fiefdoms around the 10th c. CE)

Originally read the C. V. Karthik Narayanan translation which has 6 books and became an instant favorite.

2021-02-09: Wanted to revisit the books with this translation by Pavithra Srinivasan (came out at a similar time in early 2010s - Imagine the upcoming Maniratnam movie will spur even more efforts)

Upgrading to 5 stars for sheer
Madhupria
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kalki has the power to completely transport you to a time and a place that is far away. The way he describes the locations, the surroundings and the characters whisks you away to another world. The First Floods has set up a platform for what promises to be an epic tale, and I can't wait to start the next volume. ...more
Poonkuzhali
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow! I'm really glad I picked it up again. I read this epic 6-7 yrs ago. I kinda forgot most part of the story unfortunately. But it's for the best. Cause I got to relive this reading experience again ♥️ Onto the next part! ...more
Balaji Sriraman
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Words fail when I try to think about this reading experience. I started taking notes then stopped because there were just too many note worthy! Eager to start part 2.
Shruti Ramanujam
Review to come.
Joe Winifred
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply brilliant .. every scene that Kalki describes really makes me want to go back in time ...
Virat hooda
True Wonderer
Its the late 10th century, our hero 'Vandiyathevan', a dashing warrior of the prestigious Vaanar clan has been given an important mission by his leader and dear friend the crown prince of the great Chola empire, Aditya Karikalan. And so, our hero departs from Kanchi towards the capital Thanjavur on his adventurous journey through the Chola empire.

The story Kalki weaves is marvelous and as I have just started (one of five), I eagerly look forward to the others. An epic is not an ep
Gayatri Iyer
Apr 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, classics, india
What an entangled plot!

A myriad of characters have been introduced, each one as important as the next. All of them seem to be interlinked in one way or another!

There are lots of terms which are not wholly translated - for someone who is completely unaware of what they could mean in Tamil, it'd be difficult. I struggled slightly in the beginning too, but once I got in the flow, it hardly mattered as much.

The only gripe I had was that the men are very disparaging of women as individuals. However,
Geeta Nair
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A legendary piece of literature, ‘Ponni’s Beloved’ is Part One of five parts of the English translation of Kalki Krishnamurthy’s Tamil Classic ‘Ponniyin Selvan.’ It has as its protagonist Vandiya Devan a young soldier who belongs to the brave warrior race of Vanars. He is on a secret mission for the Crown Prince of the Chola Kingdom. What follows is an adventurous journey through the realms of the Chola Kingdom. Spiced with bits of gossip, fun- frolic and subtle romance, the story is actually th ...more
Nitish Krishna
Probably the most celebrated Tamil Historical Fiction series ever. Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan, put very simply, is the story of the Chozha empire in its heyday and the characters (real and fictional, high-born and low) that inhabit this fascinating time in Indian history. Although I read a translation, I got a very good sense of the reading sensibilities of the 1950s Tamil public. This book which was serialized in a magazine was a huge craze and its not hard to see why. The story portrays the Golde ...more
Mayuri Nidigallu
To begin with I hadn’t heard of the legendary Ponniyin Selvan by Kalki Krishnamurthy, till I married into the South Indian Community. Since then I have seen people go into raptures as they talk reverently about this great book. The curiosity to read was thus aroused and when Author Sumeetha Manikandan’s English translation came up for a read and review through The Book Club, I instantly filled out the form and looked forward to my copy.

Ponni’s Beloved is part 1 of Part 4, an appetizer to another
Veera
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Good to read after reading "Sivakamiyin Sabatham" and "Parthiban Kanavu". Its very excited to know about Chozhar kingdom and their great deeds
Uttara Srinivasan
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally appearing in popular Tamil literature over a period of four years in the early fifties, Ponniyin Selvan: Fresh Floods is Part One of a Five book series that documents the early life of Rajaraja Chola (Chozha, as Kalki helps us pronounce correctly) - one of the greatest emperors of the Chozha dynasty of the South that rarely finds it's rightful presence in history syllabi of the school years. That Kalki chooses to set it through the journey of Vandhiyathevan, a warrior / messenger / qu ...more
Mahathi Ramya
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It's been a long time since i read a lengthy novel above 300 pages. This novel is interesting throughout even though it is lengthy. 'Ponniyan selvan' which is the original of this translated work is already a popular novel in Tamilnadu. All my Tamil friends re-iterated the same. So, my expectations were really high before even i started reading it.

The story is set in the era of Cholan ruler Sundara chola and it is all about the politics in the kingdom, the beauty of the place , its culture and p
Inderpreet Uppal
Ponni’s Beloved is a labour of love - a translation of the Tamil classic Ponniyin Selvan. When Sumeetha asked me to edit and proofread her manuscript, I was astounded at her dedication, attention to detail and perseverance for the translation.

She is very thorough in her writing, ensuring to keep the tone and era of the book intact. The language and words used reflect the historical period the original novel followed. It transports the reader back to the royal era of the Chola Kings and the opule
A.
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Pooni’s Beloved is an English translation of well-known Tamil author Kalki R Krishnanmurthy’s Pooniyin Selvan. The English translation is done by Sumeetha Manikandan.

Though I haven’t read the original work or any of Sumeetha’s previous works, still I must say this is the best translated work I have ever read. Even if it's in English, it has still retained the Tamil essence in it. Appropriate translation and significance of a festival or place or a person; is an added advantage for people who
Rathi
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a grand beginning! The first book of Ponniyin Selvan introduces Vanthiyathevan, Princess Kunthavai and Pazhuvoor Ilayarani Nandini. I cannot think of another book that gives so much importance to the women characters. In fact, in this book it is the women who are central to the plot. All the men are only supporting characters.
Characters behave in the most natural manner possible, i.e., they reveal their true intentions to anybody who poses a direct question. Poonkuzhali and Arulmozhivarman
Sindhuja Anbazhagan
My first Tamil book after so many years.. For so many days, I was quite eager to know about what does Ponniyin selvan really has! Finally I got a chance to read the first volume of Ponniyin Selvan by Kalki. This book amazingly describes the kings in 10th century. I just loved this. I am struck by the imagination of kalki. Kalki's language is gorgeous when he describes about people and places. Suspense was built up slowly. Though it was slow at a few places, reading a novel in tamil itself is a v ...more
Lata
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2017
A book full of characters, politics, spying, love, betrayal and friendships. The book is fast-paced and full of drama, a story that keeps you engrossed. This is the first book in a 5 part series. The book does not feel like a translated read. It is easy to read and smooth. Before reading this book, I had not heard of the original Tamil version. I still enjoyed reading the book and waiting with bated breath for the next ones. The only difficult thing I found was in the tongue twisting Tamil names ...more
Reshma Ranjan
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful read: Ponni's Beloved
From the word go the story pans through the period of tenth century AD taking the reader through the time without a drop. The politics, the intrigue never seems to fade. Thankful to Sumeetha Manikandan for giving the translation of one of the most celebrated Tamil works “Ponniyin Selvan” for a non-Tamil reader. The book leaves the era etched into the reader's mind. I am eagerly looking forward to picking the next of coming volumes.
Nivedha
Apr 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Listening to the audio book from Audible. This version of the audiobook is amazing. With voices to the characters and the narration, you only have things to gain from this audio version of the ridiculously amazing book that Ponniyin Selvan is.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• சில நேரங்களில் சில மனிதர்கள் [Sila Nerangalil Sila Manithargal]
  • கடல் புறா பாகம் 1 [Kadal Pura]
  • வந்தார்கள் வென்றார்கள் [Vandhargal Vendrargal]
  • Karuvachi Kaaviyam
  • Kallikaattu Ithigaasam
  • வீரயுக நாயகன் வேள்பாரி, தொகுதி 2 (வீரயுக நாயகன் வேள்பாரி, தொகுதி 2)
  • வீரயுக நாயகன் வேள்பாரி, தொகுதி 1 (வீரயுக நாயகன் வேள்பாரி, தொகுதி 1)
  • கி.மு கி.பி [Ki.Mu Ki.Pi]
  • ஒரு மனிதன் ஒரு வீடு ஒரு உலகம் [Oru Manidhan Oru Veedu Oru Ulagam]
  • உடையார் - பாகம் 1 [Udaiyar - Part 1]
  • பெண் ஏன் அடிமையானாள்?
  • கொலையுதிர் காலம் [Kolaiyuthir Kaalam]
  • ஸ்ரீரங்கத்து தேவதைகள் [Srirangathu Devadhaigal]
  • உடையார் - பாகம் 2 [Udaiyar - Part 2]
  • என் இனிய இயந்திரா [En Iniya Iyandhira]
  • வாசிப்பது எப்படி?: vasippathu eppadi?
  • Thanneer Desam
Kalki (Tamil: கல்கி) was the pen name of R. Krishnamurthy (Tamil: ரா. கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி) (September 9, 1899–December 5, 1954), a noted Tamil writer, film & music critic, Indian independence activist and journalist from Tamil Nadu, India.

பொன்னியின் செல்வன் (5 books)
  • பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - சுழற்காற்று