Start by marking “Switchback: A Nightshades Novel” as Want to Read:
Switchback: A Nightshades Novel

Switchback: A Nightshades Novel

(Nightshades #2)

The Bureau of Preternatural Investigations returns in Switchback, the sequel to Melissa F. Olson’s Nightshades.

Three weeks after the events of Nightshades, things are finally beginning to settle for the Chicago branch of the BPI, but the brief respite from the horror of the previous few weeks was never destined to last.

The team gets a call from Switch Creek, WI, where a
Audio CD
Published December 1st 2017 by Brilliance Audio (first published October 24th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Switchback, please sign up.
Jael As a person from Wisconsin, Racine and Kenosha county (WI counties) are considered to be part of the Chicago metropolitan area (dubbed Chicagoland).…moreAs a person from Wisconsin, Racine and Kenosha county (WI counties) are considered to be part of the Chicago metropolitan area (dubbed Chicagoland). There's even two Indiana counties that are part of that area. (less)

Start your review of Switchback: A Nightshades Novel
Ami
Bridget Mckinney
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Switchback is a decided improvement over its merely workmanlike predecessor, Nightshades, which introduced Melissa F. Olson’s near future noir world in which humans are reacting—sometimes poorly—to learning that vampires exist. Whereas Nightshades was full of clunky exposition and worldbuilding, everything about Switchback is more relaxed and self-assured. It’s a better-plotted mystery with a more satisfying overall arc, and Olson makes the wise choice to focus more on Lindy, the vampire ...more
Lucy Dosch
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in this series, while still short, manages to give us an interesting story and begins to build the characters.

My complaint with both the first and second books in this series is that they are very short. The audiobook narrations are just over 4 hours. The first book was laying down the world building, introducing characters and attempting to give us an FBI investigation. It was too much in such a short time, although the introduction of vampires was intended to be vague since we
Margaret
Review originally published at Vampire Book Club and based on a copy provided by the publisher.

Switchback picks up about a month after the end of Nightshades. Special Agent Alex McKenna is just returning to work at the Chicago office for the Bureau for Paranormal Investigations after recovering from the injuries he suffered at the end of that book. On his first day back, his team gets called to the small town of Switch Creek, Illinois, where a young man was arrested for drinking blood the
Sophia
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Their enemy is still out there and they barely took a recruiting breath before they are on the hunt, but then a slaughter in a rural town happens and the team has their hands full. Is it vampires? Is it related to their open case against Hector? And will the secrets a few of the team members are keeping prove dangerous? Oh, I most certainly needed all the answers.

Switchback is book two in the Nightshades series and must be read in order since the book carries on the story which began in book
Robin
Really good. You could see the sort of cliffhanger coming but she brought together the arc that belong to this story. The small cliffhanger was more of a pointer to where we're going next and I don't mind that. Also liked the new dimension of what's going on between her and Alex.
Loriidae
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
Great plot line but would have liked a longer story.
Angie
I'm really enjoying this series. We got to see Lindy's powers in action and things are heating up between her and Alex. And, of course, Hector isn't quite out of the game yet. Such a great story. I'm looking forward to more.
Biana
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I want this series to just keep on keeping on!
Melanie
My review and an extended sample of the audiobook are posted at Hotlistens.com.

Switchback is another fun, if short installment in the Nightshade series.We have the head of the FBI Bureau of Preternatural Investigation team (BPI), Alex, coming off several weeks of recovery from a battle in the previous book. The team has been running a long trying to do their best without him. His second in command, and best friend, has been MIA for most of these weeks. Lindy, the second eldest known
Jael
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For myself Olson's stories tend to be a hit or miss for me. This one was definitely a hit. I feel like we got a firmer grasp on the characters and I really enjoyed the plot in this one. I think I like this one a little bit better than the previous book.

In this book, the Alex and his BPI team are called out to go to Switch Creek, WI, where there was a mass murder of police office and office personnel. Right after one of their officers made an arrest of someone being a possible shade. During
Sarah Leenart
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. To be honest I love everything that Melissa Olson writes, but I picked this up in the evening and didn't stop until the wee small hours. I just loved how complex all the characters were. Lindy really came off as 'old' but trying to be younger to fit in, and despite her great age there was a delightful wish to fit in with her new team. The switching points of view worked extremely well, without them we would not have got what was happening in the story. At a basic ...more
Mike Finn
"Switchback" is the second 200-page episode in Melissa Olson's series about an FBI unit tasked with investigating crimes by vampires (shades) whose existence has just been revealed to the world. The twist is that the FBI unit has the second oldest vampire in the world as a consultant.

Carrying straight on from "Nightshades", "Switchback" sees the team called in to investigate a shade attack on the police department of a small, rich, very white "village" just outside Chicago.

Like its predecessor,
Linda
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great follow up to Book 1, Nightshades, but not totally as good as the first so 4 stars. Glad that Lindy and Alex continue to resolve the issues around shades and humans. A virus causes vampirism is a novel twist. It works. In this episode, the special FBI team known as Bureau of Paranormal Investigations (BPI) is recovering from the violence which ended Book 1. Hector, the vampire king, and twin brother to Lindy is still out there but where? An attach in a small town near Chicago brings the ...more
Jennifer Wadsworth
This review is for the audible version. Originally posted on 3/7/2018 at One Book Two.

The Chicago pod of the Bureau of Preternatural Investigations faces its next big challenge. But will all the members make it out unscathed?

Switchback is the second installment in the Nightshades series. I wasn't aware the second book had come out and was pleasantly surprised to stumble across it on Audible and discover it is narrated by Luke Daniels, who is utterly brilliant! So I listened to Nightshades
Angela Shockley
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this installment! With all the world building done in Nightshades, it was much easier to love Switchback! Lindy is a mesmerizing bad-a. I love Alex, of course. I love that Hadley was more of a developed character this time around instead of background noise. Hector remains ever elusive... and I loved the hook he played in what will be the third novella (granted I did see it coming for at least half the book). I just want these to keep going. They’re really like a good, serialized episode ...more
Nancy
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the edge of my seat all the way!

Constant revelations in an extremely well written thriller! The characters are well developed as well as interesting in their own ways. The dynamics of the relationships are strong and well thought out. There is obviously more to come, as the end leaves us with a bit of a cliffhanger. This frustrates me on one hand, because I like to have a book complete unto itself; on the other hand I know she won't just leave this hanging, so there's definitely another book
Ashley
I meant to read Switchback a lot sooner, but it somehow kept getting pushed further and further back in my TBR pile. I'm so glad I finally found the time to read it! I loved the first book and this one was just as good. I was afraid I'd be a bit lost when I started it since it'd been a while since I finished Nightshades, but no worries. I dove right in with no trouble. It was an action packed, fast paced quick read. My only complaint was that I wished it had been longer. It ends with a ...more
Waneta
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I keep reading these too fast

Melissa Olson is a masterful storyteller. I've been immediately sucked into (pun intended) every book she's written, and this one is no exception. It reads even more like an FBI mystery than Nightshades. The relationships between characters and insights into their minds makes the story just so real. I really need to stop reading these so fast, because now I just absolutely can't wait for book 3, and I sincerely hope there are more to come after that.
Michelle K.
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, pretty short. There was some inconsistencies between this book and the first one I think. I thought that there was a whole deal with shades (aka vampires) not being detectable with DNA testing, hence the mask/ breathing apparatus contraption for visitors to Camp Vamp (or is it Vamp Camp...?) Anyway, in this book, apparently DNA testing for vampires is possible. This was something that stood out to me hugely as a scientist and kind of annoyed me. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but ...more
belkis lamar
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced read!

Love this new series! I just wish was a bit longer! But I understand why author keeps books on shorter side-reads like an episode of crime drama mixed with supernatural elements. Plenty of action and developing relationships to keep reader inhaling book in practically on one sitting! Left off on cliffhanger but good news is author is extremely prolific writer and releases stories Quickly! Highly recommended for quick refreshing read.
Stacey Kondla
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Switchback is an excellent continuation of the story started in Nightshades. I love the fresh new spin on vampires (shades) and the Bureau of Preternatural Investigations. It reads more like a mystery with interesting supernatural elements. This instalment offered me a chance to get to know the main characters, Lindy and Alex, better. The cliffhanger ending has me wanting more - I will buy the next book and can't wait until it comes out!
T.
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-loan
I checked Switchback, book 2 of the Nightshades series, out from my local library. I really enjoy this dark, vampire, police thriller series. Lindy is an interesting character, a vampire forced into helping the FBI under threat of exposure. The FBI team is happy for her protection and experience while hunting "shades" but they are also afraid of her. The stories are well done and the plots unusual. I've had my library order the third book, and look forward to continuing the storyline.
Chelsea
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It pulls you in

I wasn't sure where the book was going, some sequels aren't as good as the first book, but I thought this book was well written and interesting. There is a long game going, which I like, but it also held it's own as a separate story. Another great book by Melissa f Olson.
Chris
Good trilogy about a Chicago-based FBI agent whose division is charged with investigating vampires on a kidnapping and killing spree. He's aided by an ancient vampire who's helping partially by her own choice, partially by duress. A couple of the books had one of my least favorite literary devices, the unnecessary cliffhanger "epilogue".
Bkwyrm
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly Original

I've been reading books about vampires for a long time - 35 years, give or take a few. And this series genuinely surprised me. The plot is original, the world-building and character establishments are tight and seamless, and it's just genuinely a good series.
Tanya
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid 4 stars! Those who know my ratings will know that this is really very good. I’ve got to go read the next book in this series so I will come back to give a proper review later.
But what might help is this: if like me, you love Ilona Andrews and have spent countless hours being disappointed by wanna-be’s, then Melissa Olson is the answer. And this series, this book is another great example.
Erica
RTC (but if there's a reason that I didn't give Nightshades a 5-star rating I can no longer remember why. This is such amazing urban and vampire fantasy!

UPDATE: THERE WASN'T! I gave Nightshades a 5-star rating, too! [Well deserved!])
Penny Ramirez
Maybe 4.5 stars. These books are short and to the point - I find myself wanting just a liiiiiittle bit more! I love the Chicago setting (my suburb is mentioned!) and I enjoy being inside the mind of a shade that's playing for the other side. There's even a hint of romance. Lindy seems to be rediscovering her humanity.

More, please! We must know what's going to happen next!
Karen Patterson
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in Olsen’s new Nightshades series and I am really enjoying her take on the vampire collective. My only complaint would be that they are too short at just over 200 pages and I blow through them way too fast and am left wanting the next one.
SOS: Serious Over...: [Nov 2017 - tie] "Switchback" Discussion 1 13 Sep 18, 2017 01:35PM

• Right to the Kill (Harmony Black, #5)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Hemorrhage (Medicine and Magic #4)
  • Wolf's Bane (Otherworld: Kate and Logan, #1)
  • Rock Candy (Ordinary Magic, #3.5)
  • River of No Return (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #9)
  • Mortality Bites - Boxed Set (Books 1 - 6): An Urban Fantasy Epic Adventure
  • Flame in the Dark (Soulwood, #3)
  • Dime a Demon (Ordinary Magic, #5)
  • Wicked Wings (Lizzie Grace, #5)
  • Malignant Magic (Medicine and Magic #3)
  • A Long Day in Lychford (Lychford, #3)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Echo in Onyx (Uncommon Echoes, #1)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Rise Against (The Foundling, #4)
  • Jack Kursed (Damned and Cursed, #3)
  • Run, Kat, Run and Encantado Dreams
Melissa Olson was born and raised in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, and studied film and literature at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. After graduation, and a brief stint bouncing around the Hollywood studio system, Melissa landed in Madison, WI, where she eventually acquired a master's degree from UW-Milwaukee, a husband, a mortgage, a teaching gig, two kids, and two comically ...more

Nightshades (3 books)
  • Nightshades (Nightshades, #1)
  • Outbreak (Nightshades, #3)