Start by marking “The Goose Road” as Want to Read:
The Goose Road

The Goose Road

A debut novel about one girl's remarkable journey across France during WWI.

France 1916. Angélique Lacroix is haymaking when the postman delivers the news: her father is dead, killed on a distant battlefield. She makes herself a promise: the farm will remain exactly the same until her beloved older brother comes home from the Front. "I think of it like a magical spell. If I
Published April 5th 2018 by Walker Books Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Goose Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goose Road

Start your review of The Goose Road
Whispering Stories
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
World War One France, 1916. Angélique Lacroix is home on the families farm with her mother. News has just arrived from her brother Pascal who is fighting in Verdun that their father has been killed in battle. Angélique is not bothered by the news as she hated her father but quickly realised that the farm is now her brothers and she needs to look after it.

Unfortunately, after spending days cutting down the corn a storm arrives and near enough kills it all, then the army arrives and takes the fami
Bookread2day
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The Marshalling of Angelique's Geese in War Girls by Rowena House is a collection of short stories about WWI as seen through the eyes of young women. The Goose Road is a novelization of that story. The Goose Road is quite a sad read. The story starts of with the mother that receives a letter with bad news Angelique's father is dead on a distant battlefield. Angelique tries to remember something nice about her father but she can't, all she can remember is his fists and his belt and his leather ra ...more
Jayne  Downes
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A powerful and well written novel set in France during World War 1 about a 14 year old girl struggling to hold onto the family farm for her brother who is away fighting. After her father dies and leaves debts she decides to take a flock of geese to the front so she can get the best price for them and save the farm. She faces many hardships on the way- the author is very skilful in the way she portrays life in France during this time. A quality read.
Chloe (thelastcolour)
a wonderful little book recommend by one of the ladies that i work with. it was a really touching story that brought tears to my eyes. would definitely recommend if you need something light to read. the characters were wonderfully written, i wish the story were longer!
Trisha
Affecting and inspiring.

The Goose Road presents a different perspective of The Great War: that of a young, female non-participant. Angélique is an ordinary teenager trying to keep her farm going. War zones are terrible places, and in France 1916, sometimes it was difficult to differentiate between the western front and a piece of farmland, and here readers will learn a lot about the suffering and hardships faced by everyday people.

We are presented with a strong backstory, but Angie’s journey wit
Liz Derouet
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, Angelique is a strong and smart young woman, determined to save the farm for her brother during a WWI in France, a very tough time for all.
I’ll be writing a review and book talk to share on my blog soon.
Penny
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
One girl’s epic journey across France with her flock of Toulouse geese amid the terror and chaos of World War One is the subject matter of this debut novel by Rowena House. It is 1916. News has just arrived that 14-year-old Angelique Lacroix’s alcoholic father has died in battle. The only chance Angelique’s family have of surviving the financial strain and keeping their farm is if she walks her geese across France and sells them for a significant amount of money.

Rowena House’s historical novel,
Bex
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
"It is MY land these men are fighting for - my farm, my mother's home, my brother's inheritance. I am a peasant, a daughter of the rich soil of France, and I, too, have a home to defend".

That statement sums up this book so beautifully, and probably the thoughts and lives of so many during WWI who may not have fought in the battle, but were still fighting in their own way. Angelique is an amazing character to follow, having just lost her abusive father to the War, and her mother to her grief, Ang
Rhoda
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on StrupagI'm delighted to be today's stop on the blog tour for The Goose Road. The book is out today, so you can now get your hands on a copy! Or, be sure to check out the giveaway at the end of this post.

The Goose Road is the debut novel by Rowena House and is being published by Walker to coincide with the centenary of the end of the First World War.

I'm delighted to bring to you an extract from The Goose Road. But before that, I thought I'd share a bit of the
The Book Lender
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s 1916 in the south of war-torn France. Even this far from the Front, the effects of war are felt. 14 year old Angélique and her mother are left to manage the family farm after Angélique’s abusive father and adored brother Pascal are conscripted into the army. A series of disasters - violent weather, the requisitioning of farm animals, violent men, neighbourhood gossip, unpaid debts, the death of Angélique’s father and her mother’s subsequent breakdown - leaves the family on the brink of losi ...more
Alice
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
(Read an 'uncorrected proof' copy)

I was really surprised how much I liked this book. It is set in 1916 France during WW1 (not the happiest of subjects) and our main character Angelique is trying to save her family farm from ruin, which involves a huge journey across France with a flock of Toulouse geese!

This book is very beautifully written and really immerses you in the time period. It portrays many troubling consequences of the war but through Angelique's eyes, enables the author (in my opini
Just_me
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was sent to my daughter from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. We read it together this is her review:

The Goose Road wasn't the easiest book to read because it makes you feel so many emotions but it is really, really good. It is set at 1916 during world war one in France and is about a family who own a farm but they nearly loose it. This book is about the journey Angelique goes on to save her farm and to honour her mother and brother.
I found the book really good, it had s
Hugh
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A light novel about the heaviest burdens we carry

Unlike so much writing in English about France, The Goose Road never falters in evoking the French, treating them with respect and tenderness, as it does its other subjects: war, disease, death, vices and family divisions. Authentic on every level, this gripping tale even manages to engender a fondness for geese.
Alyce Hunt
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A remarkably heartbreaking journey through the French countryside during WW1. Full review coming on Tuesday.
Reuben Thomas
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Abigail
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good
Readlaxing
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Good story line, but at times found the story rambling a bit. Over all I enjoyed the light read.
Strawberry
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very emotional book which may leave some sensitive readers feeling uneasy. It’s 1916 in France and Angélique hears that her father has died in the war. She worries about her brother Pascal, who is also serving, and is determined to make sure that he comes home to his family, to his farm. But when someone threatens to take the farm away from Angélique and her mother, she decides to do something drastic to save the home she loves. The home Pascal will return to. And to save it she must m ...more
WhatBookNext .com
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s 1916. Angelique is 14 and is not sure how she should feel after hearing the worst news about her father fighting in WWI. Her mother is grief-stricken but Angelique only remembers her father’s anger. Her fears for her beloved brother Pascal overshadow her guilt over her father, and she vows to make sure their farm will be just as it was when Pascal left to fight. He must have somewhere safe and loving to return to.

But doing everything herself is almost impossible, and when Nature takes a swi
myjourneywithbooks
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Taking place in France during World War I, the story follows Angelique Lacroix and the long, difficult journey she has to make across the country with a flock of geese in an attempt to save the family farm for her brother who is away at war.

Beautifully written and easy to read, Rowena House makes the telling of it seem effortless but I have no doubt a lot of careful research went into this book. I've read a lot of books set during the world wars but never one that takes place in France so this w
The Book Squirrel
Set in France during WW1, this is a moving story of a girl who must travel across the country in an attempt to sell her flock of geese in order to pay off farm debts.
The author has captured war-time very well for a YA novel; she doesn't try to sugar-coat scenes of death and the desperation of the people, but it is tempered with optimism and love of friends and family, animals and land.
(view spoiler)
Nick Garlick
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read it in two straight sittings, because this story of a young girl fighting to save her family farm in the depths of The Great War is just riveting. She’s threatened, abused, tricked, cheated and confronted by unbending bureaucracy. Yet she keeps fighting. She refuses to give up. And you keep racing through the pages to find out she’ll survive the latest setback. It’s also great to read a book with a young heroine who doesn’t resort to violence to solve her problems, but who uses her wits. T ...more
Helena
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Following the death of her abusive father Angelique vows to try and keep the family farm going until her brother returns from the war, and what an undertaking. her grief stricken mother is of very little help so Angelique sends for the help of her Uncle Gustav. In order to save the farm, mortgaged by the father to pay his gambling debts ( the pig and the cow have been Requisitioned) they decide to try and sell their geese to the highest bidder. They trek across France, an arduous journey, with m ...more
I Read, Therefore I Blog
Rowena House’s debut YA historical novel is an interesting affair that looks at civilian life in France during World War I (something that gets little attention in the U.K. and which offers an original perspective on a well-worn subject, including the requisitions, wildcat strikes and profiteering) but the story itself is fairly predictable and I didn’t buy into Angélique’s naivety while the ending disappointed me given the absence of Pascal.
Simone Field
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book only took me 2 days to read. I absolutely loved it, Angelique was such a great character. Very strong and determined, at time slightly immature. Very well written and Napoleon was just a critical part of the book that made it have that slight humour that kept me interested. Would definitely recommend this.
Ella
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
I started reading this because it's been in my TBR shelf for ages, but I didn't enjoy it that much. The plot seemed slow and I felt very confused at times.

However, it was interesting to read about World War I in France. I suppose not many people think about France when talking about WWI, but it was a big part of it. So I really liked reading about that point of view.

Ella x
AJ Hurst
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Actually I finished this a while ago and it’s a fabulous book. It’s a tale of a girl trying to save her family farm in the midst of war. Full review here: http://ajsramblings.co.uk/reviews/the... ...more
Louis Dines
May 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I normally try to offer more constructive criticism than this but not much more to say other than awful writing. I have some pity because it’s clear this is someone who’s never read a book before but other than that this was awful.
Camilla Chester
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite a different view of the first world war. I'm not keen on books set during war times, but this was a very different angle and refreshing to have a girl as the protagonist. The ending scene of the mighty gander, Napoleon in the pub made the whole book for me. It was brilliant!
Danderdonk
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, and would recommend it for readers aged 11+
The relationships between the young people and with the older generations were convincing.
The storyline included plenty of difficult situations, and the emotional aspect of them was well portrayed.

The book is very timely.

• The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • The Skylarks’ War
  • The Good Thieves
  • The Somerset Tsunami
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • Beneath the Skin
  • Blackberry & Wild Rose
  • The Irregular (An Irregular Spy Thriller, #1)
  • This Story Is a Lie
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • The Time of Green Magic
  • The Mercies
  • Tiger Heart
  • White Bird
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • The Dog Runner
  • The Starlight Watchmaker (The Watchmaker and the Duke, #1)
  • Bloodlust & Bonnets
ROWENA HOUSE spent years as a foreign correspondent in France, Africa and then again in Europe before turning to fiction. She visited the WW1 battlefields of the Western Front repeatedly to research her prize-winning First World War short story, The Marshalling of Angelique’s Geese (WAR GIRLS, 2014) and again for her debut novel, THE GOOSE ROAD (Walker 2018).

Her fascination with the Great War, th