Start by marking “Away For Christmas” as Want to Read:
Away For Christmas

Away For Christmas

Jonathan Jones has written a novel. Losing his job a few days before Christmas means the pressure is on for his book to become a bestseller, but when his partner drops her own bombshell, the festive holiday looks set to be a disaster.
When he's bequeathed a failing bookshop in their seaside town, it seems that some of his prayers have been answered, but his publishing compa
Published November 13th 2017 by Celtic Connections

Jules
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ooh, a book about books, authors, bookshops and Christmas. My favourite kind of book!

This novella is about a struggling aspiring author, with a somewhat unsuccessful love life, who doesn’t enjoy his day job, and has a less than perfect relationship with his publisher or his family. His struggles felt real and I was eager to see if things worked out for him in the end or not, while at the same time feeling frustrated by his own self-destructive behaviour.

This is a well written story of love, life
Karen
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Away for Christmas was a perfectly charming story and one which I thoroughly enjoyed. It took perhaps a couple of hours in total to read but although this was a novella, it didn’t feel like a short read; the storyline didn’t feel rushed at all and the characters were fully fleshed out, warts and all.

It’s very difficult to review a shorter story without giving away too much of the plot which I don’t want to do but I have to admit that when I first started reading I wasn’t too enamoured with Jonat
Joanne Robertson
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG I absolutely loved Away for Christmas! I’m not really one for Christmas books but I do have some favourite authors and if they have a festive offering then I do have to put it on the TBR! But this is actually the first book that I have read by Jan Ruth and already it’s safe to say that it won’t be the last! It’s actually a novella but it was the perfect size-think of it as a mini mince pie, a perfect short and fruity bite full of Christmas flavours but without being overwhelmingly sickly! I ...more
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This was a really lovely enjoyable read. I was sitting here the day after Christmas looking for a light read and that’s what I got.

Set in North Wales was a delight. I lived there for a few years so it was lovely seeing the familiar place names.

Jonathan is an author. It’s his passion but obstacles are put in front of him and he starts to feel disheartened. We get an insight into authors problems and in this case putting faith in a publishing company.

I found this to be more about Jonathan and a
Elizabeth Lloyd
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jonathan is at a crossroads in his life; disillusioned with his work as an accountant he is about to launch his first book, but was it wise to give up his job just before Christmas? As he and his girlfriend, Catherine, set out for a couples Christmas with their usual friends, at a rented house in Llangollen, their relationship is heading for a crisis. And he already has unresolved issues with ex-wife Denise and their teenage daughter, Lizzie.

There are many complications with his book trilogy, du
Michelle Ryles
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: galleys-read
Just the thing to get us in the Christmas spirit is the latest novella from Jan Ruth, although the main character is more of a grinch than a jolly Santa Claus. That's why I liked him! I wasn't sure what to make of Jonathan Jones at first: he's an accountant who wants to swap numbers for letters and become an author. His idea of keeping warm when it's cold outside is to wear two sweaters - give this guy my number, it's like looking into a mirror!

When Jonathan loses his job at the same time as his
Linda Hill
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jonathan thinks losing his job just before Christmas is pretty bad news. Little does he know there’s much more to come.

Away for Christmas was not what I was expecting. I had anticipated a chick-lit style cosy romance, but although there are some of those elements present, they are minimal in comparison to what is a fascinating insight into being an author and a masterclass in characterisation.

I think it shows how well Jan Ruth writes that I hated Jonathan throughout and yet was still totally abs
Katrina Hart
My Review of Away For Christmas by Jan Ruth.

I really enjoyed Away for Christmas by Jan Ruth. Jonathan is a really interesting character and his writing journey over many Christmases is interesting to follow. I like the contrast between what he imagined being a published author with a small publisher would be like, vs what it was truly like for him. I also liked how being self-published was painted in a good light. I think one of the clear things in Jonathan journey was expectation and discovery.
Nicola Smith
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I saw the beautiful cover and the premise of this book I couldn't not read it. Any book that has a bookshop in it is immediately appealing and the one on the cover is surely any bookaholic's dream. I love that Frodo the dog is on there too.

The shop in the book doesn't look quite like the one on the cover, at least not at first. Jonathan Jones is bequeathed it by his ex-girlfriend's grandfather (it's complicated!). This comes after Jonathan has managed to lose his well paid but extremely bor
Alison
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have spotted this novella on several fellow bloggers sites and it has such an appealing cover and content that seemed ideal for a book lover like me, so I rapidly downloaded it onto my Kindle. It’s only relatively short, just over 100 pages but it crams in a huge amount of detail.

As it’s only days away from Christmas it suited my need for something brief and easy to read while my concentration levels are low.

Stuck in a rut of going away with friends for the festive season Jonathan has more on
Sonya Alford
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was sent an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

Set in Rhos-on-Sea, North Wales, this story starts off in December 2015. Christmas is meant to be the most wonderful time of the year but it doesn’t look as if it will be for Jonathan Jones. Losing his job just a few days before the festive period, Jonathan is really under pressure to get the novel he’s written published and for it to become a bestseller. But things aren’t that easy. To make matters worse his partner drops a bombshell
Cathy Ryan
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5*
Set mostly in Rhos-on-Sea, Away For Christmas focuses on three successive Christmases in the life of Jonathan Jones. Jonathan is an accountant, a career he’s not particularly fond of, his aspirations lie firmly with writing and his driving ambition is to get his books published, to be able to hold a copy in his hand. Impulsively and without considering the consequences, Jonathan resigns from his job just days before Christmas. He hopes to be able to give all his attention to the second book
Caroline Vincent
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
When aspiring author Jonathan quits his job on the spur of the moment he grabs the opportunity of a lifetime to become the owner of a quirky, Dickensian, bookstore

| Introduction |
Perhaps quitting your job before the Christmas holiday is not such a great idea. And perhaps Jonathan should have consulted his girlfriend, Catherine, but somehow, he does not find the courage to do so. Christmas for him and Catherine means, going away for a few days with their ‘Christmas-friends’, the two couples they
Jo Barton
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes we need to make changes in our lives before we can move forward, and for Jonathan Jones giving up his job just before Christmas will give him, he thinks, just the jolt he needs to finish off writing and promoting his novel. However, he finds out, to his cost, that the publishing world can be fraught with difficulties and not every book to hit the book shelves has 'best seller' written all over it.

What then follows is a delightful seasonal story which looks at the vagaries of the publi
Bookmuseuk
Loved this Christmas novella! There really is something for everyone here. If you’re a writer you will laugh, despair and sympathise with protagonist Jonathan Jones, and the trials and tribulations he faces as he battles to become a published author. And if you’re a reader, you’ll be captivated by the excellent story-telling that weaves Jonathan’s complicated life into a page turning drama.

Set in the North Wales resort of Rhos-on-Sea, the author uses the landscape to match the tone of the narrat
Colette Kebell
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just the kind of read to get me out of my reading slump :) Loved this story from start to finish, mainly due to having an interest in the subject matter, though not solely. It is a feel-good story but down to earth. Not everything comes up smelling of roses but, it comes pretty close to the tangled web that is people's lives. I would happily recommend this book and not just for Christmas :) Enjoy!
Maggie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful and fun Christmas read which outlines the pitfalls for the unwary writer in the publishing minefield. I loved it!
Anne
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
It’s been so lovely to see this book getting such wonderful write-ups from blogger friends over the last couple of weeks, every word of them so totally deserved – this novella really was something rather special.

I’m sure everyone can already tell from the description that this is the perfect read for anyone with an interest in books and publishing. Jonathan’s hunger to become a published writer is infectious, but every aspiring published writer will equally identify with the hours spent tweakin
Adele
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Away for Christmas is a 107 page novella by author Jan Ruth. Jan Ruth is a contemporary women’s fiction writer and sets her stories in the countryside, specifically her beloved Welsh countryside. I really enjoyed Away for Christmas, so much that I didn’t want it to end, this was mainly because the storyline is set around a bookshop, which is every book lover’s dream to own and run their own bookshop.This festive story tackles real life issues which made the storyline and characters more easily r ...more
Julie (73)
Chris
May 09, 2018
Rose English
Dec 31, 2018
Jan Ruth lives in Snowdonia, a mountainous area of North Wales, UK. Jan writes contemporary fiction about the darker side of the family dynamic, often blending life in rural Wales with a touch of city business. Her style is best described as fast-paced and realistic, with a sprinkling of dry humour.

The real story began at school, with prizes for short stories and poetry. She failed all things math