Start by marking “Asleep From Day” as Want to Read:
Asleep From Day

Asleep From Day

Astrid can’t remember the best day of her life: yesterday.

A traumatic car accident erases Astrid’s memories of September 9th, the day she spent with an oddly charming stranger named Theo. Ever since, she’s haunted by surreal dreams and an urgent sense that she’s forgotten something important.

One night, she gets a mysterious call from Oliver, who knows more about her than
Published January 10th 2018 by Black Wing Books

To ask other readers questions about Asleep From Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asleep From Day

Michelle
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
What a wild ride! I could not stop reading this thing. It just pulls you along, yet without any of the cheap cliffhangering or contrived twists that we've come to expect from TV shows and thrillers. I've been feeling very reading-slumpish this whole year and it's hard for anything to capture my attention, so this book was just what the doctor ordered.

I could just disappear into the rainy Boston setting, which made me feel so much like I was in college all over again--the roommates, the parties,
Kate Foster
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Very different, very literary. Superb and vivid imagery. I could feel and smell and see everything so clearly. If you like a straight forward, run-of-the-mill plot, then this book isn't for you. ASLEEP FROM DAY leaves you with questions, it leaves you wondering and unsure, it leaves you covered in goosebumps and thinking what the heck just happened. And these are all the things I love in a book. If you want something different, then give this book a go!
Karl Monbro
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, quick read, and surprisingly funny in parts. I thought this was just going to be another women's lit book, but it has drama, mystery, humor, and a fantastic pacing that keeps you guessing what's going to happen. This is a must for people who don't like the run of the mill, same old, same old. A fresh voice and fresh approach to this kind of story. A real gem.
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
“Relax, Astrid. You’re in for an adventure. A quest of sorts.”

It’s so difficult to express our thoughts for this book which felt a little otherworldly, intriguingly addictive, yet in the same breath left us with a feeling of incompletion. Yes, this is a standalone, however the author has also hinted that the story could possibly have a sequel down the track.
Normally we’re okay with an ending that allows the reader to further reflect on the book, as though we hold the definitive answer to the s
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omfg. No, wait. Let me spell that out for everyone because this book . . . this book is absolutely bonkers.

Oh, my fucking god.

This book had me so twisted up from the beginning, that by the time I was nearing the end of it and was so sure that I had it figured out, the narration had me second-guessing everything that our main character, Astrid O’Malley was second-guessing. Like her, I couldn’t tell what was real or what was fake (still can’t, if I’m being honest).

AND THEN THAT ENDING!

What
Sarah Ratliff
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve started this review and erased it dozens of times. I can’t even begin to explain my love for it. The entire time you’re seesawing between wondering if it will end up being about an ideal dream or a surreal nightmare.
From the opening line to the closing line, I truly couldn’t have asked for more.

Plot-wise, it was phenomenal. Truly unlike any book I’ve read before. We see the details fall into place only moments before the main character sees them herself.

Character-wise, I felt like I *was*
Happy Booker
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Asleep from day is a psychological suspense and romantic story about Astrid. The story is based in Boston, and Astrid has a car accident that erases her memory. As flashbacks and dreams follow along with her, she vaguely remembers a guy named Theo. In pursuit of who he was and what that means, she meets Oliver. While the story interchanges between what is real and what’s not, the plot unravels revealing a truly extraordinary story to be read.

Astrid is an extremely loving character. Almost immedi
Claire
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
it's been a while since I could say this.....

But there are no words. This has left me speechless....and a little frustrated at the end!!!!!

PLEASE say there's another book coming!!!!

Amazing story written well..

Astrid is trying to piece together the perfect day she experienced with a guy before she was hit by a car and lost those memories. Other events happen that mean the guy can't find get and has to be her finding him....

Every other chapter is a piece of Astrids memory or dream of the day as s
Rachel Solomon
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book ticked all my boxes: unusual narrative structure, setting as a character, witty banter, and whip-smart writing. ASLEEP FROM DAY has an ambitious premise, with one timeline taking place over a single day the protagonist, Astrid, spends with a charming stranger and another following her after an accident wipes her memory of that day. Interspersed throughout are surreal, vivid dreams that cause both Astrid and the reader to question what is real. I loved it, and I'll be thinking about it ...more
Sarah Perchikoff
I was probably the angriest I have ever been when I finished Asleep From Day by Margarita Montimore. I genuinely felt betrayed. I won't say specifically how the book ends but it does end on a cliffhanger. Cliffhangers are fine. You want to end your book on a cliffhanger, go for it! This one did not work for me. The hour after I finished the book I was PISSED. Then I slept on it (I am aware my first reactions to things can be (especially with books) a tad over the top). My feelings have subdued, ...more
Renny Barcelos
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would have been a 5 star review for sure if not for the ending...

(view spoiler)
Abby A.
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unnecessarily long with a bad ending
Dawntwilight000
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I feel like this book was a waste of my time.
Mayurakshi Paul
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-challenge
The first thing that stood out to me of this book was the writing style and now I am a fan of Margarita Montimore’s writing style. She weaved a beautiful tale of Astrid where the narrative shifts between the present and the day before the accident. There were also a few dreams that were told in between past and present and they too were beautifully crafted and fitted into the narrative really well.

ASLEEP FROM DAY flows very seamlessly with enough clues, memories and inputs from the day before th
Sarahlyn Bruck
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book!

Fantastic characters and an uncanny sense of Boston in the 1990s. And a WOW of an ending! Great discussion at my book club.
Jami Leigh
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, pwm, trad-pub, 2017, 5-stars
There's a lilting, unreality tone to this I REALLY adore. I love stories where you wonder what is real, and this accomplishes that wonderfully. This weaves the past, the present, and Astrid's dreams together in a harmony where things almost, but don't quite, line up, and that one discordant note pulls the tension through what would otherwise be a very straightforward plot.
Definitely a fabulous debut, and one I'm already itching to read the (currently nonexistent!)sequel. Fair warning: It's NOT
Kelli Newby
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The cover says it all. This is a book rooted in place--you feel like you're in Boston of the late 90's. But then there's also a dreamy quality that works just as well. I'm usually a bit iffy about dream sequences in books, but the ones here had me riveted, both because I was looking for clues and enjoying the beauty of the writing. My favorite parts of the book are when these two aspects intertwine when the characters venture into trippy theme parties and clubs where real and surreal collide int ...more
Patricia Kieffer
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
Asleep From Day by Margarita Montimore

At first I wasn't sure about this book, I liked the story line but not so much the back and forth in the story. It took me a few chapters and then I couldn't put the book down. The story is very interesting and twisted not letting you know how it is going to turn out. I hope to read more from Margarita Montimore so I am following her here to get her next book.
Truly
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Asleep From Day is the perfect suspenseful and mysterious read for a cold winters night cozied by the fire with a nice cup of hot tea. The fast-paced read is a real page turner with action, suspense, and drama lurking around every page. I devoured this novel in one sitting. Staying up all night to read because I simply could not put it down. I had to know what was going to happen next!
Bec_BookMagicReviews

After a car accident takes away her memories of a single day, Astrid is determined to find out what happened that day. But as the pieces of the puzzle start falling into place, Astrid finds herself becoming more and more focused on what happened that day than what's happening in the present. Will she finds the answer she seeks, or will she throw in the towel when she starts to discover that no matter how far she goes to find the truth that things seem too hopeless to continue searching?

When I fi
Kari
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, for-review, kindle
I had to think about Asleep From Day for a bit before deciding if I liked it or not. I am still torn. The story involves Astrid who loses her memory about the day before she was hit by a car. We take a journey with her to discover what happened on that day and who she spent the day with.

On one hand, I was definitely sucked in and found the story compelling. I wanted to join with Astrid as she discovered what happened on her missing day. The author did a great job of building hte suspens
Cynthia
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Get ready to fall down the rabbit’s hole...

Asleep from day is one of kind book. We follow Astrid after a couple of tragedies that change her life forever.

After a car accident, Astrid forgets a day. A very important day when she met a charming guy, Theo. But all she can remember is waking up in an ambulance. While recovering, Astrid’s journey takes the reader for a wild ride.

A misterious new guy, Oliver, claims he wants to help her remember. But how do you remember something when you can’t tell
Cassandra
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astrid has no memories from September 9th, 1999. When she woke the following day, after being in an accident, she cannot remember what she did the day prior. At first, she doesn't realize the entire day is missing. Instead of returning to Boston, she stays in New York with her father and best friend to recuperate a bit before going home. When she gets home there is so much going on, she still does not realize a day is missing. When she reaches out to Oliver, she realizes the 9th is missing from ...more
Samantha March
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book started off pretty twisty, and I worried I wouldn’t be able to get a grasp on the storyline. It didn’t take long though for me to settle in and get involved with Astrid and her accident though, and try to piece together her missing day as well. All the plot twists were really intriguing, especially when Oliver came into play. I loved the in and out of the dreams and the forgotten day, and I was so anxious to get to the end. Unfortunately, the ending left me feeling pretty unsatisfied. ...more
Big
Engaging, thought provoking, different. Asleep From Day vaguely reminded me of Jacob's Ladder. Astrid seems to have a problem distinguishing what is real and what isn't and in the process takes the reader on a confusing, heart-thumping ride.

I opened the book to read a few chapters before I went to sleep and couldn't put it down. The ending gave me a wtf moment. I hope there will be a sequel. Ms. Montimore, please don't be so cruel as to leave us hanging out there. That would be torture of the wo
Meri
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic debut from Margarita!! I've never met her, but we've been internet buddies for almost 16 years now, and I was extremely psyched to see her dream of becoming a novelist come to fruition. This story has a great setting (1999 Boston), fascinating characters, and some great twists and turns. THAT ENDING THO. Dreams, memories, and reality are all a blur for protagonist Astrid - you've got to read it for yourself!
Kimberly Lynne
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What happens when the best day of your life becomes the one day you can't remember? Gritty, raw, not for the shy blushing violet types. Montimore has woven one hell of a suspenseful, sexy story. Highly recommend.
Francie Jarowski
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. So well thought-out.
Amy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
A good read that keeps you guessing the whole time. Well-written, well-paced and truly unique. Recommend!
Missy Leary
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
While I gave it 4 stars I am still not sure how I feel about the ending. It was a good read, a little confusing on the back and forth with dates and dream sequences but it kept me engaged.
« previous 1 3 next »
RABT Book Tours: Asleep From Day by Margarita Montimore 1 2 Jan 10, 2018 10:10PM
RABT Book Tours: Asleep From Day by Margarita Montimore 1 4 Jan 03, 2018 08:31PM
Margarita Montimore received a BFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College and worked for over a decade in publishing and social media before she decided to focus on the writing dream full-time. She's blogged for Marvel, Google, Quirk Books, and XOJane.com. When not writing, she freelances as a book coach and editor.

Margarita writes upmarket/literary fiction that tends to be left of center and f