Start by marking “The Future of Work: Robots, AI, and Automation” as Want to Read:
The Future of Work: Robots, AI, and Automation

The Future of Work: Robots, AI, and Automation

Looking for ways to handle the transition to a digital economy

Robots, artificial intelligence, and driverless cars are no longer things of the distant future. They are with us today and will become increasingly common in coming years, along with virtual reality and digital personal assistants.

As these tools advance deeper into everyday use, they raise the question—how

Published May 15th 2018 by Brookings Institution Press

To ask other readers questions about The Future of Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Future of Work

Manuel Antão
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Saviours: "The Future of Work: Robots, AI, and Automation" by Darrell M. West

Imagine the scene: It's 2025 and a school student is visiting their careers adviser.

Student: Hey there, so do you have any advice for me in choosing a career?
Adviser: Well, we've monitored your performance over the last 13 years of schooling, your interests and abilities and used our software to predict which roles you would be best suited to.
Student: Ok, so w
Trevor
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as an ePub and so can’t give page numbers for the quotes I’m going to provide at the end. I’m not American and don’t really know very much about the Brooking’s institute – I had assumed it would be a sort of right-wing think-tank, but it clearly isn’t quite that. This presents many of the problems about to overwhelm us and then gives us some options to avoid being overwhelmed – this is mostly concerned with the US, the take away message here, given sub-plot, is ‘expect to be overwhel ...more
Michael Huang
The links between the dominos being pointed out are all true:
- AI and automation will replace a lot work in the economy.
- When people lose job, they become social problems (unemployment, health, and drug abuse)
- There are ways to deal with the problem that we can see: universal minimum income, lifetime education, etc
- The current political climate does not make these sweeping changes likely — if possible at all.
- This is due to a small number of rich people holding enormous sway in people in off
John
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is poorly written and borders on intellectually dishonest.

The explanation of AI, robotics, and automation is equivalent to what you can glean from skimming headlines. It is less than half of the book, and heavily padded with unrelated statistics. The author fails to identify how different types of jobs will be affected in any detail. While the author can't know the future, I expected some investigation.

The balance of the book is made up of the author's proposed solutions, which fall i
Emmanuel Ayeni
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
♡♧Today's reading, The Future of Work by Darrell M. West on Blinkist was very insightful.

I could easily relate as an AI- Robotics enthusiast as my postgraduate works were along these lines.

Darrell takes a good look at the nature of Work and how it is currently evolving.

The Author looks into Artificial Intelligence, Automation, machine learning, internet of things- IoT and how they are currently affecting work, life and living.
In a nutshell, work processes are already being automated, many peopl
Faust Mephisto
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Any reader looking for insightful ideas on the future of work will be disappointed by this book. In particular, Darren West disappoints with an action plan (which tellingly gets the shortest chapter of the book) that dwells in nothing else than solidarity romanticism. Readers will search in vain in the book for innovative and promising strategies and policies that can oppose the erosion of worker prosperity and power in the era of new technologies. The one good thing of the book is a useful refe ...more
Kursad Albayraktaroglu
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well-researched study on how automation and robotics will shape the future of work and the social contracts that define today’s society. I read several other books on the subject including Martin Ford’s two excellent books; and this one has some very cogent insights on the political implications of technology that I had not seen mentioned in others. Highly recommended to everyone with an interest in what awaits us in the dawn of AI.
Glenn Elliott
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, well researched and well-written book on the future of work and the issues that will face us as a society as we navigate this next technical revolution.

If you are interested or concerned about how technology, robotics and AI are going to affect our jobs, life and society this is a great book to start with. Packed full of relevant stats and research, I raced through my copy in 2 days and it was full of tape flags by the end.

Highly recommended

Jack
Aug 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
A truly disappointing compendium of half baked ideas from someone who clearly believes the government is the solution to all problems. Given the government’s track record, their likelihood of coming up with viable solutions is slim. This book presents nothing new and does a really bad job of defining the problems we will face. A true waste of time.
Eddie Choo
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A short read that lays out the obvious

There is not much in the book that is insightful. West covers the familiar territory if automation and the polarisation of american politics.
David Franklin
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
It made some good points, but it sounded like it was advocating for socialism.
Victor Radebe
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Great book

Gives insight and foresight of what lies ahead of us and how we should prepare for it. Academics should read this
Angela
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little too jargon-y for my taste (the terms weren't always well-defined). And despite West giving possible solutions, I felt a bit hopeless after reading this -- how do we get our politicians to understand these issues and cooperate to find solutions? Still, a good overview to help folks think through the things that are coming our way.

Reviewed for The Oklahoman.
Alex Laughlin
Najla
Oct 22, 2018
Robert
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Cult of Personality: How Personality Tests Are Leading Us to Miseducate Our Children, Mismanage Our Companies, and Misunderstand Ourselves
  • Coaching for Leadership: The Practice of Leadership Coaching from the World's Greatest Coaches
  • The Unfinished Revolution: How a New Generation Is Reshaping Family, Work, and Gender in America
  • The Meritocracy Myth
  • Reading Images: The Grammar of Visual Design
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High- Performance Culture
  • Does the Richness of the Few Benefit Us All?
  • Practical Reason: On the Theory of Action
  • The Myths We Live by
  • White Collar: The American Middle Classes
  • Not in Our Genes: Biology, Ideology and Human Nature
  • Radical Technologies: The Design of Everyday Life
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • Wage Labour and Capital
  • The Power of Identity: The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture, Volume II
  • Dismantling the Empire: America's Last Best Hope
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • Pythagoras's Trousers: God, Physics, and the Gender War
Darrell M. West is vice president and director of Governance Studies and holds the Douglas Dillon Chair. He is founding director of the Center for Technology Innovation at Brookings and Editor-in-Chief of TechTank. His current research focuses on educational technology, health information technology, and mobile technology. Prior to coming to Brookings, West was the John Hazen White Professor of Po ...more
“47 percent of U.S. workers have a high probability of seeing their jobs automated over the next 20 years.”17” 0 likes
“One possible benefit of new workforce trends is that people will have more leisure time than in the past. This can happen in one of two ways. Some people will not be needed in the new digital economy, so they will find other ways to construct meaning in their lives outside the workplace. Alternatively, even those who work may find themselves with time for other kinds of pursuits. Rather than most waking hours being spent on work-related tasks, the society of the future may have time for nonwork activities, including art, culture, music, sports, and theater.” 0 likes