Jump to ratings and reviews

She Walks in Moonlight

Globetrotter, Danica Pavlova spends her days scouring old folktales and her nights trying to forget her life is anything but a fairy tale. Ten years ago, she ran away from her best friend the night after causing his crippling accident, convinced Adam King was better off not loving her. But when her brother is diagnosed with leukemia, she resolves to come home to care for the family she abandoned and face the love she never forgot. Will she find forgiveness for the mistakes of her past, or can there be a second chance for a woman who walks in moonlight?

Perfect for fans of Jojo Moyes' "Me Before You" and John Green's "The Fault in Our Stars", She Walks in Moonlight explores both redemption and romance in the face of tragedy.

*Warning-Contains Adult Situations & Some Language*

200 pages, Kindle Edition

Published October 28, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jennifer Silverwood

24 books550 followers
Jennifer Silverwood has been involved in the publishing world since 2012 and is passionate about supporting the writing community however she can. After studying traditional art at University, she loves helping Qamber Designs & Media bring authors’ books to life. In real life, she’s a mom of two, a passionate reader, and an occasional artist. She is the author of three series—Wylder Tales, Heaven's Edge Novellas, and the Borderlands Saga—and the stand-alone romance titles Stay and She Walks in Moonlight.

Discover more at - http://jennifersilverwood.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (3%)
1 star
1 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 20 of 20 reviews
Profile Image for Whispering Stories.
2,574 reviews2,551 followers
February 27, 2018
Book Reviewed by Theophila on www.whisperingstories.com

Ten years ago, Zvezda Danica Pavlova made a difficult decision that helps to decide her destiny. She ran away, abandoning her family, her friends and even the love of her life, and went travelling around the world.

Upon receiving a phone call, she is forced to return home as her brother has a terminal illness and he and his children need help. It does mean that she would have to face all those she ran away from. How would she cope? Would she be able to go back to her former life and face the love she ran away from for so many years?

She Walks in Moonlight, was exceptionally interesting and very fast paced. Ms. Silverwood has written beautiful characters that fitted into their different roles perfectly. My favourite character was Anya, a little girl that was so sweet and lovely.

The book is quite emotional as it shows how families struggled to cope when one of them has a terminal illness. However, She Walks in Moonlight is also a wonderfully funny and romantic book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading.
Profile Image for Robyn.
420 reviews97 followers
June 30, 2018
Danica Pavlova does not think she is worthy enough of a family of her own, or the love of a good man. She has abandonment issues stemming from her Gypsy mother leaving when she was only a baby. Since then, Danica has been afraid of turning out just like her. It is why she left the love of her life and her family behind 10 years ago to study abroad in Europe.

Ten years later, Danica gets a phone call that changes her entire life. Her brother Peter needs her to come home to North Carolina because he has cancer. Coming back home, she hoped she could avoid Adam, her first love while caring for her brother and his two young children. It is not until she sees Adam again, does she realize the feelings she had for him once before, she still carries today. But, Adam has changed since she left and has become harder and more closed off. Can a second chance at romance make Danica realize that she is nothing like her mother?

She Walks in Moonlight is a beautifully told story of one woman getting past her fears and coming to realize what she truly wants out of her life. It is also the story of family, togetherness and bonding in the face of a tragedy. It was very hard to see her brother suffering through his cancer, but I think in a way it also made Danica realize why family is so important and it allowed her to face all of her fears about not being good enough to love or be loved.

Adam was such a sweetheart through the entire story. Sure, he is angry Danica left. His heart has hardened and as much as he does not want to let her in, he remembers the passion and the love they once shared. I really loved how Adam was so supportive and how much he helped Danica in figuring out what she wanted and deserved out of life. At first, I really felt sorry for Danica and she may not have been my favorite in the beginning. She was selfish and only thought of herself for quite a long time. But, once she came home you could see how much she started to grow as a person.

She Walks in Moonlight is a touching and often times devastating story about life, love, death and finding out who you are and what you are capable of. I wholeheartedly enjoyed reading Danica’s story and watching her come into her own.
Profile Image for Coco.V.
46.5k reviews4 followers
Want to read
October 2, 2018
💝FREE on Amazon today (10/2/18)!💝

Blurb:

Profile Image for HEChapter -Tina J.
1,144 reviews170 followers
November 2, 2017
✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ FOUR-STAR ✩ REVIEW ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

> > Judging a Book by it's Cover < <
Interesting composition. Eye-catching colors, strong title font, distant silhouettes in place of prominently seen characters. Synopsis sounds much like many other second-chance storylines.

> > Looking Deeper < <
POV ~> First Person, Danica's POV

Danica was so afraid she would turn out like her absentee mother that she basically did everything she could to ensure it. Often her actions did not match up with her heart. She was also contradictory in that she'd continually berate herself for her own shortcomings but adopt an attitude when someone else said the same things about her.
Adam fell in love with a Russian girl. In one night, he nearly lost his life but gave himself completely to the girl - only for her to run... and destroy all that was light and good in his world. He's not the same boy he was back then, not anymore.
Then, Danica was back, ten years later, to help her ailing brother raise his children. Running into Adam again was explosive, and not in a good way. Spending time with the kids and discovering bonds she never thought possible help her to realize that things she'd once wished for could actually become a reality.
Although the basic story plot is a dime a dozen in the romance world, Ms. Silverwood managed to convey Dani's fears and Adam's hurts, angers, and betrayals well. Their relationship was hopeful and endearing. The secondary cast covered a wide range of personality types that filled all the roles, good and bad.
Despite a few typos, the story was well-written and flowed smoothly. It was dynamic and had a richly layered plot. There was not a big, dramatic conflict; rather, only some internal warring with oneself which was sorted out in a timely manner. Predictability was low. The conclusion was pleasant and solid enough, providing an implied HEA for Dani and Adam.
Overall, even though it had a similar storyline to many other second-chance stories, there were elements in there that were unique to itself and the fluid writing style provided an enjoyable reading experience.
Rating: [R] ~ Score: 4.275 ~ Stars: 4

==========================

⭐ ⭐ **** Disclosure of Material: I received a copy of this book from the Author/Publisher with the hope that I would voluntarily leave unbiased and unsolicited feedback. I was not asked, encouraged, or required to leave a review - nor was I compensated in any way. I am posting this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising". ***** ⭐ ⭐
Profile Image for LAWonder10.
948 reviews738 followers
June 22, 2018
She walks in Moonlight is a very poignant tale of a young woman who is very much a "free spirit", who is running away from her own fears.

Born out of love, her gypsy mother could not stay in a relationship or one spot. Haunted by this legacy, Danica was certain it was in her blood, too...It was a curse!

When her best friend, whom she truly loved, was injured in an accident, Danica knew it was ultimately her fault. She fled!

This is a tale about a very young girl who never felt she fit into any culture. She was orphaned but was partly raised by her brother who she truly loved and appreciated. She had little self worth, but when she was truly needed she was centered.
Do second chances truly exist?
The characters are very well-portrayed and endearing. The scenes are easily visualized. The Title is unclear but could vaguely fit.The Book cover is eye-catching and depicts the story well.
READER BEWARE: There are some explicit scenes and a lot of crude language. I would not recommend it for YA under the age of 18.
I offer a strong Four Stars rating for literary content.
*This was gifted to me with no suggestion of a positive review. This is my honest review.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
Author 24 books550 followers
June 4, 2018
So I always feel funny reading my own novels. But my paperback copies came in the mail the other day, and I started reading. And then I read the whole book, lol. While I vividly remember writing this, it's been long enough that I was able to dive into the actual story. I didn't realize how much of myself and my past I poured into this novel, but it brought back a lot of old feelings for me. And it makes me want to write more contemporary romance. :)
A little backstory on SWIM: Writing this book began as a fun challenge for me. What started as a simple second-chances romance soon became so much more. This story captured my heart and has taught me so much along the way. It reminded me to always believe we can write wrongs and come home. I hope you take a chance with Danica and enjoy her story.
Happy Reading!
Profile Image for Giselle.
990 reviews6,359 followers
Want to read
September 18, 2020
ARCs can be requested here [closed - other review opportunities found here]
Profile Image for Ayla.
999 reviews29 followers
March 31, 2018
I want to thank the author for sharing this in our read it and reap group in exchange for an honest review.

I have read Jennifer's Wylder series which I really like, so I knew I had to read this love story that for her was going out of her usual genre.

I really enjoyed this story. Danica is a beautiful Russian immigrant who is shadowed by the lost of her father to Leukemia and her runaway Mother. She believes that she is cursed to follow in her mothers footsteps, that when she gives herself to her long time friend Adam King after he is injured in a car accident trying to find her, she feels she must get away. She crosses an ocean to get away and ends up back in Russia. She is so afraid that his heart will be broken by her that she breaks it by going away, thinking he will be better off without her, that she doesn't deserve him.

Ten years later, after getting a degree in Russian Folklore and traveling around Europe, she receives a call from her brother Peter, he has come down with Leukemia just as his father had and needs her back home. She flies back to him where he has 2 small children from a wife who left him and "Aunty Dani" to help him anyway she can. She is immediately confronted by Adam at the Brewers house where she had been invited to for a late night get together. Adam , who she thought would never walk again, is healed and stronger than he was as a young man. The Kings become more involved in Peters life than at first Dani was ready for. Hailey, Adam's sister is once again involved with Peter and I am gladden by the love she has for him, making his last few months beautiful. Even though Hailey and Danica usually throw daggers at each other it's as Adam says, they are too alike.
The relationship between Adam and Danica start to flare up again, I wasn't sure if he was trying to make her fall in love with him to break her heart, but instead it was that Adam loved her since he met her at 8 years old and decided then that she was the only woman he ever wanted. God, tears spring to my eyes, I know but its so sweet. After Peter gets sick Dani makes a decision to devote herself to Peter and pushes Adam away. But at the wedding for Peter and Hailey she realizes she made a mistake. Its when Adam comes over the house after the wedding and sees her suitcase he fears she is leaving and she tells him no, that with Hailey now in the picture she thought she should get her own space, Adam is finally happy and Dani can learn to love and not be afraid of her mothers legacy. She comes to grips with her mother as she tells the story to the kids later of her family and understands her mother more.

The story was heartwrenching at times with Peter and his children. It was down right funny with the kids telling them to get a room when caught necking, lol. I liked all the characters they all had their parts, even Jameson who ends up getting licked by Adam was interesting.
The ending was bittersweet with Peter gone , but I was Glad that Hailey had a piece of him in Petra their little baby, and that Anya and Sasha would have someone to love them and care for them always.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Energy (Rae's Reading).
1,425 reviews33 followers
November 14, 2020
After a decade away from home, Danica’s brother Peter calls her, needing her home. He has leukemia and needs help with his children. Danica would have never dreamed of returning home, she’s run from her past for so long. But her brother needs her, so she hops on a plane and returns. Knowing that it will certainly mean she will run into her ex, Adam.

There are two stories at play here. We have the love angle with Danica and Adam, and then we have Peter struggling with his illness. There were a few continuity errors involving the age difference between Danica and Peter, and while the writing was simplistic, I just didn’t care for the number of times I had to read Adam King when just Adam would have sufficed. Danica’s character flipped between anger and fine too often for my taste. It was as fast as a light switch and it was hard to keep track. The accident, in the beginning, is never resolved either. Overall, this wasn’t the right fit for me, but it might be for others.
Profile Image for Erin Decker.
112 reviews28 followers
June 30, 2018
This second chance story is about a Russian globetrotter – Danica who is called back home to America after 10 years. Ten years ago she ran away from her one and only true love – Adam King. Now her brother is sick with leukemia, the same disease that stole their father away from them when she was ten years old.

Let me be clear – this is one of those books where the story line is well thought out and put on paper that you can sit and read it in one sitting. I loved that about this book. The characters had distinct personalities (thought some were confusing to me… more on that later) and the plot line made sense for the most part. I did have a couple problems with this novel. The first part being that some of the characters had almost personality or feeling flips with no explaination or growth development. One minute furious, mean, ugly and the next kind and laughing. This bothered me a bit. The other part was some major plot holes that were missing in this book. We learn there was an accident and Adam goes to look for Danica when they were 18. Danica then goes to Adam, they both lose their virginity, and she runs away. BUT WHAT HAPPENED? We have no clue what the accident was or why Adam was out looking for Danica when the accident happened. And this accident is what the entire relationship in the book is based off of. There were some other minor plot holes, especially in the last couple chapters when time lapses would happen with no explanation. There were also some minor grammar and spelling mistakes that need to be fixed and would momentarily distract me from the plot of this book. The storyline was so sweet through it made up for some of the errors that I noticed within in the book.

Overall, I liked this book but I didn’t love it. This is definitely an adult romance novel (someone had told me it was YA but I am not sure who it was now??) I would recommend this novel to anyone who loves a quick romance read. I gave this book 3.5/ 5 stars and rounded to 4 stars on Goodreads and Amazon.

**I was send a physical copy of this book for review purposed from the author and Prism Book Tours**
Profile Image for Shalini | Book Rambler.
316 reviews100 followers
April 7, 2018
It was a beautiful read.I would recommend it to anyone who loves to read contemporary romance.

*Received a copy in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Lenoire.
955 reviews32 followers
June 30, 2018
Danica Pavolva locates old folktales for work but, she spends her nights trying to forget her life isn't a fairy tale. Ten years ago, she ran away from her boyfriend after causing his accident. She was determined that Adam King was better off without her. However, when her older brother is diagnosed with leukemia, she decides it is time to return home. She tries to put the past behind her but, she can't help feeling a connection with Adam. Will Danica and Adam be able to put the past behind them?

I enjoyed the novel but, I had a hard time liking Danica. She is upset when people think of her a certain way but, she continues to act that way. I felt like she was a coward when she ran away and she wanted forgiveness without trying to make amends. Most of the characters acted like selfish children, especially when they didn't get their way. I would have liked if the author included a bit more context around Adam's accident. Overall, the novel had a nice story line but, I didn't care much for the lead characters.
Profile Image for Madhuri Palaji.
99 reviews1 follower
October 24, 2018
She Walks in Moonlight is a beautiful story. This is the first book I'm reading from Jennifer Silverwood. The lead character Zwezda Danica Pavlova comes to USA from Russia at the age of 8. She meets Adam King in her new school. They become best friends instantly. They grow together but Zwezda's bad past experiences and her gypsy mother influence push her to leave everything she loves behind and run to Russia. She comes back to USA to help her brother who is suffering from cancer to raise his kids. She faces Adam again after 10 years who is a changed man now and no more a high school teenager whom she left behind. The story is about how she finds her hope again and how she takes the leap of faith in spite of her fears.

The hero Adam is a wonderful character. He is a strong man who fights all odds and stands on his feet again after a terrible accident and successfully serves the army. The story makes you believe in second chances and love. I totally enjoyed this story and finished reading it in just a day. The characters are very wonderfully built by the author. Almost everyone in the story is wonderful beings, from kids to the adults. This is a very good book for everyone. Loved it, totally!

#jennifersilverwood #shewalksinmoonlight #lovestory #bookreview #ebookreview #theclippednightingale #lovebooks #prismbooktours #goodreads #amazon #kindle #netgalley #chapters #indigo #plumreview
Profile Image for Angela Joseph.
Author 6 books139 followers
January 11, 2020
She Walks In The Moonlight is a beautifully written story of a young woman finding herself after running away from her childhood sweetheart the night after she caused his accident. Zvezda Danica Pavlova was abandoned by her gypsy mother who left her when she was a child with only a box of tarot cards to remember her by. And although Dani, as her family calls her, resents her mother for the way she left her, she finds herself doing the same thing.
However, despite her carefree way of living, she immediately packs her things, leaves St. Petersburg and returns to the States when her brother Peter calls and asks her to come and look after his children because he has leukemia. She inevitably runs into Adam, and although he appears to resent her at first, the passion between them is soon rekindled.
Jennifer Silverwood does a good job of developing the characters of both Dani and Adam, which, for me, is the novel’s strongest quality. I admire the way she transformed this immature young woman into a responsible and loving person. On the flip side, I was a bit turned off by endless repetitions of people “crossing their arms over their chest,” and by Adam’s “beautiful eyes.”
Overall, I would recommend the novel to readers who don’t mind a preponderance of “adult situations” and “some language.”
Profile Image for Melissa.
Author 56 books1,357 followers
January 7, 2018
Jennifer and I are critique partners, so I had the pleasure of reading an early edition of She Walks in Moonlight, and I've just finished (re)reading the final.

The story follows Danica Pavlova, scarred by abandonment and doomed to repeat the same mistakes as her mother. After a horrible accident, teen-aged Danica runs out on her one true love, traveling the globe to escape facing the hardship (and her trust issues), and leaving her only family in the process. Ten years later, a fateful phone call from her brother brings her home to care for him and his kids--and to face the boy she left behind. Only Adam isn't a boy any longer; he's a man, and he's had a life and hardships of his own. Bitter and hot-tempered, Danica and Adam immediately collide, but more is on the line than old flames and wrecked relationships, and Danica's brother is running out of time.

She Walks in Moonlight is well paced, skillfully written, wonderfully fleshed-out. Danica and Adam’s turbulent romance plays against the touching (and admittedly painful) way the main character learns about trust and family, all the while dealing with loss—a sudden and irreparable loss that’s tearing open all the old wounds to make something new. Thoroughly enjoyable romance from Jennifer Silverwood.
Profile Image for Natalie .
2,334 reviews32 followers
March 15, 2018
First impression Dani is a coward, second she’s what everyone thought she was. It’s soon clear to see she’s got abandonment issues. It was easy to get into the story from the start, I was relieved when the tragedy was light hearted otherwise I’d still be trying to get through it and bawling like a baby. Half way through and I’m tearing up because the story gets deeper and the pain gets real and there go the heart strings. There wasn’t actually anything I didn’t like about this story, I liked the characters and how she fights her fear to support her family in their time of need and I liked how realistic everything was and not glossed over like a superhero ending.
Displaying 1 - 20 of 20 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.