Start by marking “Berlin Butterfly: Ensnare” as Want to Read:
Berlin Butterfly: Ensnare

Berlin Butterfly: Ensnare

Death or Freedom? Hardly a choice. Aug 12, 1961, Berlin Germany. Nationale Volksarmee soldiers roll barbed wire across the war-torn city to create the first Berlin Wall. Families are separated, livelihoods destroyed, death comes easily as crippling fear paralyzes the occupants on both sides of the wall. Fifteen-year-old Ella is torn between fleeing to the west with her bro ...more
Published September 13th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Berlin Butterfly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Berlin Butterfly

Start your review of Berlin Butterfly: Ensnare
Coco.V
Mar 12, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (3/12/2020)! 🎁
Greg
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! Cannot wait for the second and third books to come out in this series.
Lisa
Ensnare, book one of the Berlin Butterfly series by Leah Moyes, tells the heart wrenching story of a young, former orphan girl, Ella, trapped on the wrong side of Berlin when the wall is erected in August of 1961.

Ella’s father is gravely ill as soldiers start unrolling spools of barbed wire, which will form the first Berlin Wall, to keep the citizens of East Berlin from fleeing to the west. She is torn between escaping while she still can, with her young brother and best friend Anton, and stayi
Betty B
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story! History and romance...a good mix! Loved her main character, Ella. Can't wait for the second book!
Sharon
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time reading anything by this author and what a delightful book to be introduced to her with. It’s book 1 in a trilogy so 2 more books to go in this series. I loved everything about this book. The author told her story at a nice steady easy to read pace. There’s a lot of emotion in this book and the characters have a lot of depth to them.

Steph Warren
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free copy of this book, with thanks to the author. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

RECIPIENT OF THE B.R.A.G. MEDALLION

Ensnare is the first in a series of Berlin Butterfly books and tells the story of Ella’s struggle to survive alone and on the ‘wrong’ side of the Berlin Wall.

I am quite familiar with the history of the World Wars – before and during – but my education is sadly lacking when it comes to the aftermath. My knowledge of the Wall prior to reading this
Maureen
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel tells the story of the horrific tale of the people who had to endure life after the Berlin Wall was installed.
In August 1961, German soldiers rolled barbed wire across this war torn city. Some escaped leaving family members and friends behind.
Fifteen year old Ella is torn between leaving with her childhood friend, Anton and brother or staying to care for her dying father. Ella is not sure of her feelings for Anton should she stay or should she go. Anton has always been there for her e
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
I have really been into historical fiction lately and then one totally swept me away! Although, some historical fictions fell a bit like you're reading a history book but, thankfully this one does not. It is a beautifully well-written book that makes you feel all of the emotions that you'd expect from this era. I can't sing its praises enough!

This isn't actually your typical historical fiction either. I read where someone else posted that instead of how this type of book usually tells the story
Kristopher Brown
Great characters, based on true events!

Wow! Such an amazing book, I can’t wait to read the other 2. I was lucky enough to find this right when the last book came out now I don’t have to wait! :)
Linda Davis
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the suspense maintained throughout the story. The characters are complex and believable. #hungryforthenextbook
Roberta
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodread
This book is based in Berlin, Germany 1961 when the first Berlin wall went up. It is romantic and the setting is post war germany. Ella is the main character and the author writes a wonderful character of her and you fall in love with her,her lost family,her best friends, and her mentors. Thank you for such a wonderful book.
Karen
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really liked it. Plan to read sequels.
Energy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love historical fiction, so I was eager to grab Berlin Butterfly to read, and I'm glad I did. Moyes did an excellent job blending fact in fiction in this account of the awful time when the Berlin wall was put into place.

We meet Ella, who is living in East Berlin, and when rumor turns fact, and the wall is imminent, she chooses to stay behind with her ailing father, rather than travel West with her brother Josef, and her best friend, Anton.

Growing up an orphan, she had only Anton as her close
Taylor
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book is incredible! I seriously could not put it down. It's so captivating and detailed. She keeps the reader engaged throughout the entire story. I am obsessed with the characters. The author does a great job of shedding light on a dark part of history that has not been "over told". I would recommend this to everyone. It is not a difficult read and you do not feel you are reading a history book. I cannot say enough about this book. Well done!
Susan Provost
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Keeper. Going in my re-read collection.

Very well written and engaging story. The characters are in depth and relatable. The strength and resilience of characters brought me directly into the story. I was swept along from the first chapter. Hoping for a follow up novel to continue the story.
Marge
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One word to describe this book: awesome. Strongly recommend this engaging, well-written text to all who value a memorable reading experience.
Amy Shannon
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great storytelling

Moyes pens a grand story in Ensnare. This is the first book in the Berlin Butterfly series, and this story fits with its title and its series title. A historical fiction that introduces the reader to Ella, living in 1961's Germany, where the east and west are separated by the wall. This story is definitely captivating, and heartbreaking. Ella is a strong character, and she and her family are on a long journey filled with danger, struggles and strength. This story was one with s
Helen Hollick
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs

"National and world events are shown through Ella’s eyes and like most ordinary people at that time, they hardly touch her except for the tension expressed by her employers and colleagues. The atmosphere is realistically and very deftly evoked. "
Kaimee Lauber
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book was slow going at times It was a true eye opener. Ella stuck in East Berlin seems to accept her fate until she almost unwillingly falls for Stefan, the son of powerful parents in East Berlin. He is arrested after saving Ellas life from a rapist Colonel.
dan price
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
GREAT story

I LOVED this book and I'm exited to read the next one. I chose this book because Leah is a personal friend and I knew it would be as good as it turned out to be!
Deborah Fellabaum
Loved this book.
Leanne Farmer
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great writing

This story was clear in detail and characters. I really felt I was right there in the old apartment or the jail cell with this lovely young woman. A must read.
Greg
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read the second time around as I reread it to prepare for Berlin Butterfly - Deception the second book. This series is a must read!
gj indieBRAG
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that BERLIN BUTTERFLY: Ensnare by Leah Moyes is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Sam
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
*Disclaimer* I was financially compensated for this review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and not influenced by the author and/or its affiliates in any way.

Follow Ella, a fifteen years old girl, who lost everything when the Nationale Volksarmee soldiers created the first Berlin Wall. Her ailing father is bedridden while Anton is planning an escape with Josef and her to the other side of the wall. What they did not expect is for Ella to stay with their father. Now left alone afte
Jody L Turpin
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book!

I read this in one sitting, it's a wonderful story, very well written and impossible to put down. I can't wait for the next one!
Sarah Bowe
Mar 21, 2020
diane
Jun 23, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Historical Fictio...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Berlin Butterfly: Ensnare Giveaway 12 32 Jun 20, 2018 06:01AM

• The Spark of Resistance (Women Spies #4)
  • The Jewish Spy: A WW2 Historical Novel, Based on a True Story of a Jewish Holocaust Survivor (World War II Brave Women Fiction Book 4)
  • Not In America: Book One in a Jewish Family Saga
  • The Storm Beyond The Tides
  • The Girl I Left Behind
  • Escaping On The Danube River
  • The Planter's Wife
  • The Girl from Vichy
  • My Name Is Vittoria: A WW2 Historical Novel, Based on a True Story of a Jewish Holocaust Survivor (World War II Brave Women Fiction Book 1)
  • The Other Blue Sky: Surviving the Holocaust
  • Righteous Fury
  • Love of Finished Years
  • Mendelevski's Box: A heartwarming and heartbreaking Jewish survivor's journey
  • The Last Visit to Berlin: A Historical Family Saga Based On A True Story
  • Past Encounters
  • The Tea Planter's Club
  • Under Darkening Skies
  • Orphan Train Trials (Hearts on the Rails, #2)
Leah Moyes is from the sunny state of Arizona. She is a wife and a mother, a former teacher and coach with a passion in Archaeology.
She loves popcorn and seafood (though not together) and is slowly checking off her very long bucket list.