Start by marking “The Satan Seller” as Want to Read:
The Satan Seller

The Satan Seller

2.81  ·  Rating details ·  201 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
A former Satanist high priest reveals the demonic forces behind the fastest growing and most deadly occult religion in the world. 214 pages; 4.25 x 7 inches.
Published March 1st 1987 by Bridge-Logos (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Satan Seller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Satan Seller

Tim
Nov 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: The sadists out there
Recommended to Tim by: Many people
Shelves: misc
Walt Murray
Mar 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
I read this book at least twice in high school and college, and in my second reading began to feel that there were some serious inconsistencies (for example, the name of his wife in the book and on stage were totally different). As I moved away from flirting with Pentecostalism I shelved this book. A few years later I learned that others had seen some of the same problems and were able to expose Warnke as a fraud. I wish he had the class to come out and admit the lies, and that until he does so ...more
Chrismpadgett Padgett
Well at the time I really liked this book, because like most people who read it they thought the story was in fact an authentic biography. We had a few of his tapes, and I can remember even going to see him live once when I was a kid. I loved his comedy and approach to ministry! It was in the late eighties I think, when his ministry was called into question. It was reported that he was never a satanic priest, nor had he been in the military, etc. It was a mess! Hard to take someone seriously who ...more
Sheryl Tribble
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
I found the book interesting reading but I was not at all surprised to discover most of it was fabricated. The author gloried in the horrors of his supposed past life an awful lot for someone who had supposedly repented (turned in the opposite direction), but the more I disbelieved the more his hubris fascinated me. I suppose much of the interest was "is he self-deluded, or deliberately lying?", and should probably re-read it in light of Selling Satan.
Liz Novak
Mar 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Worst book I've ever read! Going outside to burn it right now.
Rob Roy
Aug 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
Filled with lies
Matthew Ciarvella
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
Book was recommended to me. Despite the low rating, I had a very good time reading this book, although not for the reasons the author intended.
Dav
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Mike Warnke's biography describes his life of drug use, moral turpitude & rise to power within a Satanic cult during his college years.

He eventually is the leader of some 1,500 Satanic devotees engaged in a variety of cult activities. He is rescued from this life when he encounters the gospel, repents & embraces christian faith.

It is a chilling, mesmerising and encouraging story. I'd give it 4☆ for attention-getting. The christian world embraced it without reservation.

● One caveat; it
Jan magdalene
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I really wanted to like this book. I was so fascinated by the history of it that i actually sought it out and paid a whopping six dollars to buy it from a used bookstore in america. To be clear, this titular "authobiography", once a christian bestseller for it's sensational confirmations of evagelical fear-mongering about the dangers of modern-day "withcraft" has been confirmed to be almost entirely fictional. this leaves it's value solely in it's fictional qualities, and the psychological musin ...more
Justin Rose
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
An enthralling book that kept my attention throughout. I bought the story with hesitation until Warnke talked about his military career. Then I knew that I either misunderstood what he was saying, or he was lying. My delima was answered in chapter 12 with his supposed baptizing with the Holy Spirit. Such an erratic experience does not come from the Holy Spirit of God the Father, but from the deceptive spirit of the father of lies, the devil.
While I was still reading, I mentioned Warnke's drug us
RomanticismElixir
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Bob German
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I was given this book a long, long time ago as a curious, wide-eyed early teen, by a guy who, looking back, was uber-religious and pretty creepy, and probably wanted to molest me. The crazy thing about books like this, is that just like "Go Ask Alice," it's far more likely to encourage someone to experiment with the "forbidden fruit" than to scare them away from it. I mean who doesn't want to be able to set things on fire with their mind? Looking back, it's far easier to see the author as a chee ...more
Matt Friedman
May 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
I read this volume as a fairly new follower of Jesus in the early 1980s. I was shocked and touched, but as I listened to a number of different presentations by Warnke on cassette, I had this nagging feeling that something didn't quite add up.

As has been well-known for over twenty years, this "autobiographical" account was largely fabricated. In the mid-1990s, I was handed a copy of the magazine containing a deeply damaging account, not only of this book, but of Warnke's entire testimony. John Tr
Grady
Apr 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
I read this book almost 30 years ago. I also listened to his albums and even saw him in person around the same time. It was no surprise to me when just a few years later he was discredited by JPUSA's Cornerstone Magazine because there were obvious discrepancies between what he wrote in the book and the stories on his albums. This charlatan was cited as an authority on "Satanism" by many evangelicals and television talk show hosts. File this in the same basket as the writings of Jack Chick, "Dr" ...more
Mike Brooke
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I personally really liked this book. I read it when I was 13, 15 years ago, and it started me down the path of investigating the Illuminati. Whether this guy was lying or not (which, of course, even if he wasn't, the secrets that he was giving away in the book would defn prompt someone to make it look like he was.), this book really opened my eyes and inspired me to seek knowledge that I would have not have otherwise sought. Which I am very grateful for.
Justin
Jul 28, 2011 added it
I read this book as a young boy and was amazed at this guy as he was a leading Christian Comedian of his time, maybe the only one. I was disapointed later on to hear that it was all a lie. It taught me that even Christians that are famour are not immune to lying and sinning. It also taught me to put Jesus up high, not man!
Karen L.
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: macabre
I gave this book a rating of 2 because before I found out that Mike Warnke had lied about so much of the story, namely the stating that he was once a Satanic High Priest, I did enjoy the story. However now that I know about his numerous failed marriages and all the lies, I do not recommend this book to anyone.
Rick
Aug 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Once upon a time Warnke was a respected teacher on Satanism. Then it came to light that his lurid stories were pure fabrications. If you Google his name you will get the whole story. Not recommended, other than as fiction. Or to cement the need for accountability.
Debby
Aug 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I think the author of this book has been proved a fraud, but this is still an entertaining read. So he made Satanism look a little more lurid and evil than it is, I would still share a beer with the dude.
Margaret Roberts
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A former Satanist high priest reveals the demonic forces behind the occult practices. A good book but very dark-certainly not for the faint of heart. The greater part is seeing how God saves Warnke, and exposes Satan, and what a reminder that God is far greater than His enemy!
Jesse Markus
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the "true story" of an ex-Satanist turned Christian. I read this when I was, I dunno, ten? Twelve? It deserves three stars because, in spite of being completely full of shit, it's still pretty entertaining.
Glenn
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed the testimony of Mike Warnke throughout the book, it was later overshadowed by accusations of embellishments.

I did however have the opportunity to meet Rev. Warnke and act as an altar worker at one of his youth rallies in Salisbury, Maryland
Rodney
Jan 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
When I read this book I found it interesting and at that time would have probably given it a 5. We even went to see him at our church where he performed back in the early to mid eighties. Later I found out that he is a fraud and do not recommend this book.
Isaac Gallaway
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ministry
Basically written with strong message throughout. Gives a good insight into the life of the occult, the cost it takes, and the power of Christ. An older book with verbage from an older time period, but gets the message across. Be warned: Not a book to read at night.
Greg Dill
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Great real-life story of a Satanic Priest turn born-again Christian. Too bad none of it was true. Three star rating because it was a fantastic story. Makes for a great novel rather than the biographical events it was originally intended to be.
Dan
Feb 12, 2011 rated it liked it
It was a fascinating read, but much of his ministry has since been called into question, and it appears he may have lied about a lot of stuff. Who knows.... Good read nonetheless, even if only as fiction.
Jim
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mr. Warnke may not have been truthful in regard to his stated personal involvement, but I can tell you first hand that there is a realism to what he shares. If you want to view this as fiction, so-be-it, you'll find it an interesting read. Either way, heed the warning.
Michael
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this during my teen years. It had a very strong impact upon my desire to learn more about the occult. Of course years later The truth about Mike Warnke came showing him to be a liar and a hoax.
Tajsha
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this book some time back in '97. This was a definite page turner for me. It was like watching a scary movie for me. I wanted to turn away, but I just had to know how it would end.
Paula
Aug 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
As a teen I loved this book (as I loved Mike Warnke) and read it several times, however I don't want to rate it as it's been exposed as a lie. Very sad
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Michelle Remembers
  • Daughter of Destiny: Kathryn Kuhlman
  • The Face That Demonstrates the Farce of Evolution
  • Stories for the Heart: Over 100 Stories to Encourage Your Soul
  • Portraits of Integrity: Real People Who Demonstrated Godly Character (Volume 1)
  • Help! I'm Laughing and I Can't Get Up: Fall-Down Funny Stories to Fill Your Heart and Lift Your Spirit
  • A More Excellent Way: Be in Health: Pathways of Wholeness, Spiritual Roots of Disease
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • Elijah, Steps to a life of power
  • The World of Jesus: Making Sense Of The People And Places Of Jesus' Day
  • Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication (Great Lives From God's Word 4)
  • I Believe in Miracles
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans
  • Angelwalk (Angelwalk, #1)
  • The Witch's Familiar: Spiritual Partnerships for Successful Magic
  • The Last Days According to Jesus: When Did Jesus Say He Would Return?
  • Satanic Panic: The Creation of a Contemporary Legend