Start by marking “Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)” as Want to Read:
Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)

Before the Devil Breaks You

(The Diviners #3)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  8,743 ratings  ·  1,813 reviews
New York City.
1927.
Lights are bright.
Jazz is king.
Parties are wild.
And the dead are coming...

After battling a supernatural sleeping sickness that early claimed two of their own, the Diviners have had enough of lies. They're more determined than ever to uncover the mystery behind their extraordinary powers, even as they face off against an all-
Audible Audio, unabridged
Published October 3rd 2017 by Listening Library

·  8,743 ratings  ·  1,813 reviews

Start your review of Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)
Emily May
“He’ll be looking for you,” the boy said, drawing Henry’s attention again. “He’s looking for all of us. You should go now. Before he sees you. Before he finds you.”

Before the Devil Breaks You is such a perfect creepy book for Halloween. I have been taking a little longer to read this than I usually would, but that is because I have been savouring it (hell knows when we'll get the next one!), wanting to linger as long as possible in the glitzy, jazz-filled horrors of this paranormal 1920s New York City.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Before the Devil breaks you, first he will make you love him.

So earlier this year, just in CASE you’ve never heard from me before, I spent several weeks this year dedicating my life to the audiobook narration of Libba Bray’s Diviners series. and I’m trash!!

I think what I like about this series is how it makes the personal political. This is a story set in the freaking 1920s, a time that could easily be whitewashed dry of racism and discrimination. Easy to make unpolitical. But this story is so directly about the
Emma Giordano
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
AMAZING FANTASTIC WONDERFUL SPECTACULAR

I seriously love The Diviners series so much and Before The Devil Breaks You was no exception. Libba Bray is genuinely one of the most talented young adults authors to ever exist. I'm blown away by her ability to masterfully create an ever-expanding, historically accurate, well developed world with complete, well-rounded interesting characters.

I am DYING for book four.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 10/10/19: Forever crying over this series, I just love it so damn much. I cannot believe the final book with ALL OF THE ANSWERS is coming out in just a few short months!!!! I'm nervous but SO EXCITED

Original read 10/4/17: How am I supposed to move on from this?! My heart is broken 😭😭😭😭😭 will post more coherent thoughts when I get over my feels
✨    jamieson   ✨
“The land is old, the land is vast, he has no future, he has no past, his coat is sewn with many woes, he'll bring the dead, the King of Crows.”

okay I love this series so much and just thinking about how it could be 2 years until the finale comes out makes me want to check out and live in a cave and this was me favourite of the series, which is an unpopular opinion. But oh my GOD the payoff !! the character development !! the threads coming together !! THE PLOT THICKENED THE FUCK UP AND I LOVE IT

So I've already e
Melanie

1.) The Diviners ★★★★
2.) Lair of Dreams ★★★★★

A masterpiece, wow.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Buddy read with Madalyn, Jane, & Chelsea! ❤

Trina (Between Chapters)
Content warning: abusive romance; attempted rape; human experimentation; racism and prejudices toward disability, mental illness, and same sex relationships that are a depiction of the time period. All of these things are quickly challenged and not glamorized.

Representation: African American main characters. Jewish main character. Irish/Chinese American, disabled (walks with crutches), asexual main character with a f/f romance. Gay main character with a m/m romance. I believe one main character is said to be/>
Caz (littlebookowl)
Definitely my favourite so far!

Also, the audiobooks are really special, please give this series a listen.

Trigger warnings: domestic abuse, attempted rape, racism, prejudice against interracial and same-sex relationships, mental health, disability.
Cameron Cassidy
Libba officially announced today DIVINERS #3 is coming out spring 2017!!!! Commence the heavy breathing

Edit-
Fall 2017 NOOOOOOOOO!! Libba POR QUÉ! PORQUOI! PER CHE! ПОЧЕМУ! WARUM! يلهجضصرِ! WHY IN EVERY LANGUAGE!!
Chesca

I'M. NOT. OKAY.

Libba Bray's Before the Devil Breaks You dug me up a grave and I am now properly haunting its vicinity!

The Diviners have started exercising their abilities in preparation for theOKAY.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
I don't agree with that title, there's nothing remotely uncertain about the sound of my heart breaking, is there? Before the Devil Breaks You? Sounds like a fucking lie, gone there, done that, RIGHT? And we have no release date for book four? HAHAHAHAHAHA now that's just mean.

SEE ME though. SEE ME. 😭😭😭 (view spoiler)

5 stars minus one star because sexual assault should never be a pl/>5
Roshani Chokshi
This series. Y'all. It's phenomenal. Beautiful, timely, intoxicatingly real and meticulously researched. Libba is a genius. Do not sleep on this series. Though when you start, I'm not sure you'll be able to find sleep anyway.
Whitney Atkinson
**Trigger warnings: depression/alcoholism, attempted rape, domestic abuse/sexual assault, racism/prejudice against interracial relationships, gore

I will admit that my reading experience of this was a bit tainted because it took me so long to finish. During my listen of this (a 21 hour long audiobook), I was moving out of my dorm and coming home for the summer, and once I was home, I found very little time to sit down and listen for more than an hour at a time, so it was pretty choppy
monica kim
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
“This is a book about ghosts, for we live in a haunted house.”

Only Libba Bray could make me burst into tears during an author’s note. Before the Devil Breaks You is not only an amazing continuation of a phenomenal series - but also an incredibly important and timely book.
Aleksandra
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First thing you need to know is that I love this book and it is the best book I've read in 2017.
Second thing you need to know that Before The Devil Breaks You is the third book in the series, I highly recommend to read the series (first book is The Diviners, the second is Lair of Dreams) and as it's the third book, I won't be saying any detailed thoughts on plot or character development, because spoilers.
Third thing you need to know that I'll be overusing words like amazing, gorgeous and favorite, because Before The
Jillian
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series I can’t wait till the 4th and final book comes out !!!!!
Sabrina
5 out of 5 stars.
This is going to be a long review guys.

I want to look at The Diviners series as a whole first. It’s a narrative constructed around identity, first and foremost, and young adult is the perfect age group for the audience and these characters; it allows the characters to change, to discover, and encountering consequences for the first time (and this, particularly, is made clear in the third book, where a lot of the characters start to suffer because of this).

The Diviners series is
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

A thin stream of tears trickled down his cheek. He tapped his head gently against the back of his chair: “The land is old, the land is vast, he has no future, he has no past, his coat is sewn with many woes, he’ll bring the dead, the King of Crows.… He’ll bring the dead, the King of Crows, King of Crows, King of Cr—”

Tell me. Tell me what’s next. Tell me what to do. Tell me what to do with my life. I spent a month reading this series, and it’s almost as if I’ve lost a family member now that I’m all c
Julie Zantopoulos
Flat out, January LaVoy is the best audiobook narrator, ever. She's phenomenal. But now, onto the book.

This was a phenomenal, spooky, and often times downright scary book that thrilled and enthralled me. I adore these characters, I am incredibly invested in the plot, and I want more, always. There was so much going on in this book and all of it was amazingly done. It's diverse, it speaks to social issues our country has dealt with and continues to, and it discusses good/bad and forgiveness vers
Ferdy
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
Instagram | youtube

3.5/5

Kind of disappointed... this book felt like a filler for the last one; it didn’t really have an independent plot like the others and it could have been shorter...

discussed on my wrap up
preoccupiedbybooks
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An emotional and terrifyingly eerie chapter of the Diviner series!

This has taken me a while to write because I was so emotionally drained after the ending of this book! Also I was a little intimidated by some of the stellar reviews on this! I'm gonna add my thoughts on it anyway!

"Before the Devil breaks you, first he will make you love him. Beware, little sister. Beware the King of Crows!"

I just love reading about these characters! I'm at the point where I would basically read about anything they do, BUT this book happens to beanyway!
"Before
;3
RARELY HAVE I EVER LOVED A FULL CAST OF CHARACTERS SO MUCH. EVEN CHARACTERS THAT I THOUGHT I WAS COMPLETELY INDIFFERENT TOWARDS.

no, but seriously—the storytelling is so superb. great pacing, fleshed-out backstories, well-developed romances, and a wonderful found family trope. checks off all the things i adore in fiction.

also, special shoutout to the audiobook narrator!!! the way she can seamlessly vocalize so many different personalities is outstanding. her ability to nar
sofia (sam willows)
”This is a book about ghosts, for we live in a haunted house”

welcome to my ted talk. to start, i’d like to thank libba bray for existing.

that’s it, you can all go home now
Nastassja

The Diviners are back! And now they are after ghosts! Um, technically they were always after ghosts, but this time is different as not the ghosts are hunting them, but
Alexa
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no way that I can give this book less than five stars because it’s just. that. good. I care so deeply about the Diviner gang and their lives, and combining that with a plot that unraveled in a compelling way right before my eyes and a historical setting that was perfectly atmospheric and an exploration of themes that really got me thinking — well, this book just so happens to be the berries.

Even when it stressed me the frack out and made me throw it on the floor.
Leonora Shiell
Ahh. I wanted this to be SO GOOD. And it had its moments here and there, but it also had huge swaths where nothing really seemed to happen. This book really felt like it fell into that middle-volume trap. It felt like the story actually got going about a hundred and fifty pages before the book ended.

What didn't I like?
1. The deliciously creepy and evocative atmosphere of the first two books is not here. There are moments - especially towards the end - where you can see the ghos
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
THIS
BOOK
RUINED
MY
LIFE

...in the best way possible. This series seriously keeps getting better and better. I don't even know how to describe my thoughts on this. I loved every single second. It delves so much deeper into both the characters and the plot. I really can't even begin to explain how much I loved this book. I need the next one NOW.

To put it simply: Libba Bray is a goddess. Nothing but respect for MY president.
Andrea
At this point I’m just trying to convince everyone to read this series. So here are some reasons you should read these books.

THE CHARACTERS

These characters are straight up charming. You will not find two similar characters here and they each bring something to the plot. This cast is so diverse. You’ve got a Black MC, an Irish-Chinese disabled, asexual MC, a gay MC, a Jewish MC, and so many more.
/>
/>THE

• The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Sadie
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray, #1)
  • Sawkill Girls
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Wilder Girls
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • Radio Silence
What is it about writing an author bio that gives me that deer-in-headlights feeling? It's not exactly like I'm going to say "I was born in Alabama…" and somebody's going to jump up and snarl, "Oh yeah? Prove it!" At least I hope not.

I think what gets me feeling itchy is all that emphasis on the facts of a life, while all the juicy, relevant, human oddity stuff gets left on the cutting

The Diviners (4 books)
  • The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
  • The King of Crows (The Diviners, #4)
“We are a country built by immigrants, dreams, daring, and opportunity. We are a country built by the horrors of slavery and genocide, the injustice of racism and exclusion. These realities exist side by side. It is our past and our present. The future is unwritten. This is a book about ghosts. For we live in a haunted house.” 58 likes
“There was such fear in the world. But love was everywhere if you looked. It was the best thing about humans. That they could stare into the abyss and still open up their hearts. A spit in the eye to fear.” 29 likes