Start by marking “The Big Book of the Blue” as Want to Read:
The Big Book of the Blue

The Big Book of the Blue

Following the wild success of The Big Book of Bugs and The Big Book of Beasts, The Big Book of the Blue is the third installment in Yuval Zommer’s beloved series. Alongside everything the young oceanographer needs to know, Zommer’s charming illustrations bring to life some of the slipperiest, scaliest, strangest, and most monstrous underwater animals.

The book opens by
Published June 5th 2018 by Thames Hudson

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book of the Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book of the Blue

Start your review of The Big Book of the Blue
Barbara Band
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the series and a worthy companion to “The Big Book of Bugs” and “The Big Book of Beasts.” As you would expect from the title, this book explores the oceans of the world and is an excellent introduction to share with young children, possibly helping to spark an interest in the minds of future marine biologists. It is a large format book, being 24x35cm in size, which allows the reader to become immersed in each double-page spread, all of which are in wonderful shades of ...more
Claudia G-D
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Picture book/ non fiction book that has many facts about creatures that live in the oceans. It details the importance of protecting the creatures that live in the oceans and their habitats. The pages have lovely detailed illustrations and easy to read information. The book also has questions and answers relating to facts about the oceans and the creatures. At the end of the book there are answers to how many animals can be found on each page, this can encourage the children to look at each page ...more
Adam Arzberger
We were fortunate enough to attend a ‘meet the author’ session with Yuval Zommer whereupon he took us through how he created this book along with the other ‘Big Book of...’ books in the collection. ‘The Big Book of the Blue’ is beautifully illustrated and informative, lending itself well to use in ‘topic exploration’ in school. With environmental undertones, the book gives opportunity to lead into conversations surrounding global warming, single-use plastics and environmental pollution as well ...more
Krista
What this book sort of lacks in information, it makes up in illustrations. Using this for art inspiration during our marine biology unit!

Such a gorgeous book!
V
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t, 2018t
Why we chose this book:
To learn about the ocean! The cover art caught my eye and the synopsis sounded like a great fit for my question machine, aka T. Thames and Hudson provided a review copy.

Mom's Review (V)

A captivating and visually stunning introduction to ocean life for young children.

The cover art set me up with high expectations. You should definitely judge this book by its cover! Not only is the art lovely and fun, but there is a sardine hidden on several pages that the reader must find.
Erin Buhr
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
It should probably be stated up front that I adore the ocean so I am definitely in the target audience for this book. If you too love the big blue, or you have a child who does, then this is a book that should be on your shelf.

Zommer has created several of these big, beautiful non-fiction books about different topics. I have read most of them and enjoyed them all, but this is my favorite...again though - I do love the ocean. Perhaps if you love bugs then you will really like this one, but love
BooksForTopics
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Big Book of the Blue is a visually appealing information book that triumphantly showcases ocean life in all its splendour, from sharks to sea snakes to flying fish.

Yuval Zommer's books always hold a popular appeal in primary classrooms due to their vibrant and quirky illustrations coupled with accessible and interesting facts. This large-sized informative compendium is the kind of non-fiction that children like to come back to again and again to pore over its pages.

Each double-page spread
Ellie Labbett
I have wanted to read The Big Book of the Blue for quite some time and was so pleased to finally get hold of it. This is fantastic information text about the ocean environment and various different animal families and species living in it, with some of the most amazing facts about they ways their bodies work and how they live their lives. So much research has gone into this book and there is such depth to the facts inside, which are regularly astounding.
I felt that Zommer got the tone just right
Christina Simpson
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Where to start? This book is by far my favourite of all the 2019 UKLA 3-6 long list. I can see myself using this book in the classroom at every chance I get, art, science, literacy, maths, music, geography and even more. The interactive pages make it a perfect book the the age range of 3-6. However, don't shy away from presenting this book to any age group in the primary school as it is just as engaging and informative for older children.

The illustrations by Zommer are intriguing and lend
Teri B
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book holds marvellous illustrations that take you into the water and let you discover the variety of creatures that live there. Some are in double page landscape, some in double page portrait. Very cleverly done.

Each page starts with an introductory question. Some of them I found more satisfactory than others.

Apart from that, I loved chasing for the Sardine through the pages. This is such an easy and satisfactory way of getting to know your book entirely. Very well done.
Amy
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
The illustrations are amazing, however there’s not too much info here. Some spreads have only 4 unique facts about the animal. Others mention facts but don’t explain, like the page that says sea turtles don’t get stung by jellyfish... No explanation. My daughter asked why and of course I looked it up. But I wished the book had said.
Overall, a gorgeous book that’s been hyped a lot, but lacks in thoroughness. We liked Life On Earth: Ocean better.
Reshamad
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cybils-2018
This is a gorgeous over-sized non fiction book, third in its series on ocean life. This book focuses on ocean creatures big and small. Packed with information on the creatures in the sea, this is an excellent introduction for elementary kids. Back pages cover dangers to ocean life from human intervention and what we can do to keep our oceans safe and healthy. Wonderful book for gifting or for your home library!
Audrey Sauble
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous & fascinating!

We've just recently discovered this author's books, but I suspect that we'll be tracking down all of them at some point. This one is our most favorite one, though. My preschoolers have asked for it about a dozen times in the last couple of weeks, and my oldest will start reciting sections of it to me while we read it.
Lauren
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful book about marine life. I like how the author touches on climate change and plastic pollution near the end and the damage it does to the wonderful creatures you just learned about.
Nora Manriquez
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ocean
I like this book. I love how it has a lot of information of the different creatures that live in the ocean. This book wouldn't be a good book to read to young children but it would be a good book to have in the classroom for any child who wants to learn about the creatures that live in the ocean.
Miss Sarah
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nonfiction book about animals that live in the ocean. Each two page spread features one animals and four or five facts about said animal. Long but the amount of information on each page is not overwheleming. Elementary and up
charlene.librarian
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-nonfiction
Gloriously illustrated! There's so much to see and learn in this large format book that will capture children's attention. Many will also enjoy the search for 15 of the same sardine and other items along the way.
Jo
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This book is an excellent resource, schools and library's should definitely have this in there catalog. Its beautifully illustrated and set out in a way that children and educators will enjoy. Highly recommended.
Jaime
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am buying this book for my classroom! Lots of information and facts packed into easily readable blurbs. A must-have for libraries and classrooms.
Jenna Mills
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jam packed. Entertaining and interesting
Krissy Neddo
Good gift for ocean animal loving kids ages 5-9.
Brittany
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The entire series of these books are absolutely lovely. I picked this one up and the beast book in a recent sale on Amazon. I'm also planning to buy the bug book soon, it would make a great Christmas gift. The illustrations in this book are stellar, just like the rest of the books. There's informative spreads about all kinds of different sea life in this book.
Kaydee
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Too advanced for my toddler, but absolutely beautiful and full of knowledge! I can't wait to read the whole series with my kid in about a year or two!
Trish
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, je, animals
This is a cool book about different sea creatures.
Lynda
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Detailed and slightly whimsical illustrations packed with facts about the oceans and many who live there.
Marianne
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, complex illustrations. A very interactive book that fun for my son and I to read together.
Jessica
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is gorgeous but has some incorrect information on the shark page, which caused me to take off a star.
Karen Gibson
Lots of information about water animals in a beautiful setting.
Christina
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun facts about the ocean and fun illustrations. I'm glad to be adding this to my classroom library, especially since we have an ocean unit in 5th grade!
KC
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interactive fun while learning about the big blue sea.

• Stardust
  • All Are Welcome
  • The Last Wolf
  • Tiddler: The Story-Telling Fish
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Star in the Jar
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • The Big Book of Birds
  • Not a Stick
  • The Street Beneath My Feet
  • The Paper Dolls
  • Everything & Everywhere: A Fact-Filled Adventure for Curious Globe-Trotters
Yuval Zommer graduated from London’s Royal College of Art and has worked as creative director for many of the U.K.’s top advertising agencies. This is his debut picture book, inspired by the animals he came across on a trip to the zoo.